• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Having trouble getting that kill? A Laijin YL killing faq

Laijin

Smash Hero
A kill move is defined as "A move used to kill your opponent, generally one that is aimed for usage when your opponent is at a certain percent"(Quoted by me :o). Generally, many Young Link players have trouble killing their opponents when they really need to. This mainly effects inexperienced Young Link players, since most of his moves have low knockback and it can be quite tedious to get the kill in when you really need it. Im making this faq to try and assist people. This is not a character match up guide nor is it a guide on how you should play him.
Its just simply a faq made how to kill with Young Link. Its obviously not completed nor is it anywhere near perfect. So suggestions on improving it and such would be helpful, as I am basing it all on my experience. I do not have the best YL, but I know how to play him well enough to make this guide. Keep in mind, this is not 100% pure fact and is all how I see how useful Young Link's attacks are against certain characters. I have played a pretty decent(or really good) version of every character. I'll have a section made later on so that the opinions of some other YL players could be made and compared to mine.

Updates:
3/21/07- Posted two parts of the guide. Completed a part of the character match ups.
3/28/07- Finished Character Match ups.
5/7/07- After playing more Fox and Falco match ups. I have figured that up-air just does not kill them no matter what. So I change it from a 3 to a 1. Also changed Falco's n-air from a 3 to a 5. n-air kills his recovery since it is'nt as good as Fox's recovery.
5/9/07- Detailed Marth's section a bit more from a request. :o
7/10/07- Added onto Sheik section. Added 3 new attacks.

Table of Contents:
1. Ahh! I cant seem to kill him quickly enough except at super high %s!
2. His main kill moves
3. Character match ups. What works best?

1. Ahh! I cant seem to kill him quickly enough except at super high %s!
Thats because your probably going about the wrong way in trying to end him. Many of Young Link's moves have very low knockback especially at low percents and against many characters. Different characters are more vulnerable to different kill moves. It is also easier to kill certain characters by perfoming certain actions. This faq shall go over all of this.

2. His main kill moves.
Young Link has very low knockback during close combat, so killing can be very tough if you don't know the right moves to use, and which moves work best against certain characters(See: Character Match ups section). These are in general the most widely used moves used as a way to end your opponent's life.

Neutral Air:
-This comes out really quickly and could usually be chained into multiple n-airs because of it's knockback. It is generally used the most as a kill move when your opponent is off the edge and they are recovering. It works very well against most characters.
-Since it is a sex kick, this move has the most knockback when it hits your opponent the moment it comes out. If you set it out early and eventually hit them as you move towards them, the knockback is greatly reduced until the move ends.
-It has very little lag when l-cancelled correctly and is very useful when your opponent has very high damage. Because it has very little lag(even in the air), if your trying to intercept them while they are recovering, you will find it very easy to return back to the stage as long as you don't go out too far.

Down Smash:
-This move itself is one of YL's moves that have the most knockback. It comes out very quickly and has very little lag. Just imagine it as a quicker version of Adult Link's up B, but with less lag and shorter range.
-If your opponent side step it, the move ends quick enough to avoid a grab or a counter attack by immediatly side stepping or shielding after the end of the move. If your opponent sidesteps it and you are very close to them, the second hit of the attack will usually catch them out of their sidestep
-This move actually has a sweetspot. If you are very close your opponent while using it, you will sometimes send them up instead of away. This is because you hitting them with the part of the sword that is closest to your body. If you hit them with the sword that is away from his body, they will be send vertically. The sweetspot is the end half of the sword.
-This move usually works very well against lighter characters and most fast fallers(Fox, Falco, Falcon, etc)

Down Air:
-This is the one move new Young Link players enjoy spamming. It kills very easily and it is also very easy to see if you l-cancelled it correctly or not.
-This move tends to kill middle weight and floaty characters the easiest(and some light characters)
-It pretty much beats out almost every character's up air because of it's disjointed hitbox. There are only very few characters you should be careful about(More on that in the character match ups).
-Be sure not to spam this move, as it can be easily countered even if you l-cancel it.
-This move has a sweetspot. If you jump into the air right underneath your opponent and hit them with the hilt of your sword, they will be send downward very fast. It is usually called the fire spike and is most useful against middle weight characters(More on that in character match ups)
-This move should ONLY be used when your opponent is in the air, when they are suffering from lag, or when you know they are going to jump into the air and try to attack you..only to run into the bottom of your blade and die(People tend to do this alot. Especially if their not use to YL).

F-tilt:
-A very useful move that comes out quickly and kills at higher percents.
-This move has a sweet spot. Just imagine Marth's F-smash, only much shorter ranger and shorter knockback/power. The sweetspot is at the tip of his blade and is most useful if you can't get in a d-smash if your opponent is in the air.
-It has more knockback than neutral air, so it is useful when your standing at the edge your opponent is making a high recovery just slightly above you.

D-tilt spike:
-This is a very nice finisher and suprises your opponent.
- It is only useful when your opponent is trying to sweetspot the edge, but usually always comes a little bit above it.
- It only works well against certain characters(See character match ups)
- This move has a sweetspot too. Like the d-smash, if you hit them with the part of the sword thats closest to you, they will pop back up to you. You must hit them with the edge of the sword(or at least the second half of it).
- Don't stand at the very edge of the stage. You must stand a few steps away from in order to avoid being hit by their up B and successfully spike them.

Running Attack:
-Most useful when you are on the other side of the stage and your opponent is making a high recovery.
- If this move is side stepped, the end part of the move normally hits them out of their side step
-Not very good spam, since it can be easy to shield grab.

Up Air:
-Very useful against floaty characters, and pretty useful against middle weight characters(and some light ones)
-Can be easily chained and beats out majority of most character's down aerials. You only have to watch out for a couple of characters(Marth, Roy, etc..)
-Usually kills at higher damage. Very useful on stages with lower ceilings(Yoshi story, Fountain of Dreams) , but not so much on stages on with high ceilings(like Dreamland)

Forward Smash:
- Only useful if their in the air, even still there are better alternatives
- Be sure not to spam this move. The first hit has a set knockback, so its very easy for them to counter you.

3. Character match ups. What works best?
Im going to list his moves and rate them on a a scale of 1-5 by the characters and what mainly kills them best. All moves are based assuming the character is around 100% or more. Please keep in mind while you read this:
1. The ratings are only based on their killing potential around
100%, like stated before. Not based on how useful it is
against the character(like combo ability, accuracy, etc)
unless stated otherwise
2. I may state otherwise if it is not based on 100%, as it is
really hard to kill some characters just at 100%
3. Once again, this is based on my experience alone. If you
disagree with any of it, you may add your own opinion in
the upcoming "Other Views" section.

Characters as a group(For quick reference). This is in general the usefulness of these moves

Against: (Roy, Bowser, DK, Mewtwo, Ganondorf)

Neutral Air: 2/5
Down Smash: 3/5
Down Air: 4/5
F-tilt: 3/5
d-tilt spike: ----
Running Attack: 2/5
Up Air: 3/5
F-smash: 2/5

Against: (Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon)
Down Smash: 6/5
Down Air: 2/5
Running Attack: 4/5
Up Air: 2/5
F-smash: 0/5

Against: (Mario, Doc. Mario, Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, Link, Luigi, Ness, Pichu, Pikachu, Yoshi, Young Link, Zelda)Neutral Air: 3/5
Down Smash: 4/5
Down Air: 6/5
F-tilt: 4/5
Running Attack: 3/5
Up Air: 5/5
F-smash: 3/5

Against: (Jigglypuff, Kirby, Peach, Samus)
Neatral Air: 2/5
F-tilt: 2/5
Up Air: 6/5
F-smash: 1/5

:::In-depth Character match ups:::

Bowser
Bowser's weight makes it harder for him to be killed at around 100%. You normally need to get him to around 150% to get a kill in easily. Luckily, YL is able to do this fairly easily. Most of your u-airs should land and it should be pretty easy to chain until you kill him. His down air will definantly land if Bowser is in the air.

d-tilt spike: 3/5
Up Air: 4/5

Captain Falcon
CF is not all that hard to kill. Most of his knees and aeriels can be stopped just by a simple n-air. It is also beyond easy to land an n-air during his recovery, making for some simple kills. Down Smash works when he is on the ground or is coming from an aerial attack. But be sure not to spam it since it can be easily punished. His recovery is also very vulnerable to the d-tilt spike if they don't sweetspot the edge. F-tilt can be used if they make a high recovery. Down air is fairly difficult to land since his up-air can easily stop it, leading you to get combo'ed to death. Try hitting him with a bomb first or dropping a bomb on him while he recovers.

Neutral Air: 5/5
d-tilt spike: 4/5

Doctor Mario
You should have no problem killing Doc. since most of YL's moves kill him pretty easily. N-air stops his already pretty bad recovery. Down Smash kills him with ease. Down air will easily kill since he is kinda floaty, especially on stages with low ceilings. d-tilt spike is effective if they dont sweetspot. Up Air also kills easily since he is kinda floaty. Just be sure to watch out for his cape(be sure to anticipate it if they spam it) and his pills when he recovers. To get around his pills, just spam projectiles at him or go underneath him for a u-air. It is also pretty simple to d-air flame spike him(just practice it).

Neutral Air: 4/5
F-tilt: 4/5

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong is pretty heavy character like Bowser, so it will take awhile to kill him. You should try and stick with d-air or up air for the kill. If you can, d-smash works well too.

Neutral Air: 3/5

Falco
Falco completely owns YL. I personally loathe this match up and usually just go for an alternate character. The only thing that gives YL the advantage in this match up is that Falco is super easy to edge guard. You have a few options to choose from:

From below the ledge-

1. D-tilt spike. If he does'nt sweet spot, then getting the spike is beyond easy to do even if they cancel it.
2. Bomb drop. You can usually drop a bomb onto a recovering Faclo before they hit the ledge, causing them to pop up above the ledge. You can them either d-smash, down air or n-air him.
3. D-air. You can normally meet Falco's up B with a down air. You must make sure you hit him, since YL cannot recovery back if he misses. I dont suggest doing this too much
4. If he comes TOO high, then I suggest f-tilt and n-air. D-smash even works or you can probably even get in a d-tilt spike if you wanna surprise him

From the side(Phantasm usually) or above-
1. I recommend n-air and force him to recovery from below. Then do one of the things I listed above.
2. f-tilt works nicely too.

On the Stage:
1. D-smash destroys him. Use it when you can.

Down Smash: 5/5
d-tilt spike: 6/5
Up Air: 1/5

Fox
Fox is much easier to kill than Falco since its much easier to land hits on him. His recovery is better than Falco's, but the same things apply to Fox. See the Falco section(above) for more info.

d-tilt spike: 5/5
Up Air: 1/5

Game and Watch
Game and Watch is really easy to kill. Since he is so light, it is easier to kill him at lower %s. D-smash, Down Air and Up air kills him fairly easily. D-tilt spike also works fairly easy. Beware about n-airs, they can be easily stopped by GW's parachute. Game and Watch players love to sweet spot the edge. For some quick kills, I suggest edge hogging every time you see them falling very low from the edge.

Down Air: 5/5

Ganondorf
Ganon is very hard to kill. Edge guarding is no problem, but getting him off the edge is a very big challenge. You can simply damage him until your able to sneak in a n-air or smash. Limit your d-airs to only when your recovering or he is suffering from lag. His n-air overide's your d-air. When he is recovering, n-air kills fairly easy. You can also get in a d-tilt spike or a d-smash if he does'nt sweetspot. Bomb dropping to d-air works very well. Ganon is fairly hard to kill with u-air, but its one of the easiest way to damage him. If you can, you can usually juggle him with this to death if they dont DI correctly.

d-tilt spike: 6/5

Ice Climbers
Ice Climbers are fairly difficult to kill since they are one of those characters you don't want to get close to(for fear of being grabbed to death). If your able to get rid of Nana, killing Popo should be no problem. Just simply down up air or down air him if he is in the air. If not, down smash should suffice. I suggest not spamming down smash too much since it can be easily shield grabbable if Nana is still there..and you really dont want to get grabbed by ICs, once again. If Nana has not died yet and they are at high enough to be killing, try forcing them in the air with your projectiles. Just throw projectiles at them and try to force them to attempt to jump over them. Once in the air, it is almost impossible for them to defend against your attack. So quickly run and go for a up air or down air if you can land one.

Edge guarding-
With Nana:
d-tilt spike is almost impossible. I suggest sitting back and reading which way they are going to land on the stage, since one of them wont grab the ledge(since its impossible). Once they land, go for a d-smash. If you catch them in the air, a d-air should be able to work since they will be suffering from lag due to their up-b.

Without Nana:
Fairly simple since Popo is limited to only his foward B recovery. He most likely wont go for the ledge since he can't out of his foward B. So uou have plenty of options. You can stun him with him a projectile then land a n-air or d-air. d-tilt spike is possible, but I dont suggest it. You can read where he will land on the stage and d-smash him.

d-tilt spike: 1/5

Jigglypuff
Jigglypuff is fairly easy to kill, but fairly difficult to edgeguard. If they don't WoP, then landing a d-smash for the kill is fairly simple. d-air and u-air also kills Jigglypuff fairly easily. Try to avoid stages with high ceilings and long walls(Like Dreamland), since killing Jiggs is fairly hard to do on these stages. Pick stages like Yoshi Story or Fountain of Dreams if you can. If Jigglypuff does WoP, then your strategy changes completely:
Try and force him off the edge. Projectile spamming works great. When he is stunned, you can n-air him to send him way. When he is recovering, he will most likely go way above the stage. Aim your boomerang up towards him to stun him for a moment, then immediatly jump up for a u-air. This will kill him depending on his percent(usually around 100%). Any other projectile would work well too, but boomerangs work best. If he gets you off the stage in a WoP combo, just DI away from him and fast fall down. Then double jump towards stage and use your hookshot on the stage for the recovery.

Running Attack: 1/5

Kirby
Kirby should be a pretty easy fight overall. To kill him quickly, avoid stages with high ceilings and long walls(like Dreamland). When he is in the air, u-air and d-air should effectively hit him. These should be your main kill moves against Kirby other than D-smash. Running attack is'nt that bad in this match up. n-air works pretty well too. Overall, the match should'nt give you a problem.

d-tilt spike: 2/5

Link
Link has some weight on him which makes it harder to kill. Plus he can kill you faster than you can kill him which makes for a difficult match if you don't know how to play him. If he is close enough, d-smash works pretty well. When you get his %s up, you can stun him with a projectile and go in for a n-air or u-air. If you hit him with a u-air, you can juggle him towards the edge then n-air him off the stage. Once off the stage, edge guard with projectiles(bomb drop towards the ledge, throwing boomeranges, charging arrows, etc) and go in for the killing hit(normally a n-air or a d-air).

Down Air: 3/5

Luigi
Personally, killing Luigi is no problem for me. You should effectively be able to control the match with projectiles alone. Once he is in the air, you should be able to kill him with a d-air or a u-air at higher %s. N-air and d-smash works well too

Mario
Similar to Doc and Luigi, Mario should be no problem to get a kill off of. You should be able to effectively land u-air or d-air if he is in the air. If you can't catch him or he capes your projectiles away, fake him out and force him to cape..then run in for an aerial. d-smash works well as usual and so does f-tilt when it comes to edge guarding. d-tilt spike is fairly easy to land too.

Running Attack: 1/5

Marth

Marth is pretty hard to kill only because you dont want to get near him. D-air suffers a bit in this match up since his u-air cuts through your d-air. The same will happen with up air. Marth's weight allows him to die fairly easy when these are landed, especially with d-air. So you would have to catch him during lag or somehow mix it up in your mind games. If he is in your range, n-air out of a shield works very well. D-smash is pretty easy to kill too if you land one. d-tilt spike works very well if he does not sweetspot. Also, you should ban small stages like Yoshi's Story or FoD since you need lots of space for this match up(and Marth can easily kill you).

Here are some specific Marth killing situations:
-So. Marth is at a pretty high % and you just can't seem to get close enough to get in any of the kill moves I went through above. Your projectiles are just being simply cut through by his sword and nothing is going through his defense. The problem here is either:

A. You need to work on your projectile mind games more and not be so predictable with them. The best way to do this is to play against really good players who use fast characters(Such as Pikachu and Captain Falcon) who will force you to have to use mindgames in order to land any projectile damage off of them(without being killed first).
B. Your rushing in too much. Understand that Marth's range out ranges every single one of your moves. And therefore, you will never get close to a a good Marth without being hit right back. The only advantage you have over him is your projectiles, and you must learn to open up his defenses with your projectiles. Ex: If he is approaching constantly with double f-airs, try and jump over him and throw a bomb down. If he is playing defensive and standing there, throw 20304 projectiles at him but don't get in his attack range. Either his shield will drain and he will eventually get hit or he will get annoyed and charge in for an attack(This is where he is open!)

-Whats that? Your projectile mind games are top notch AND you understand that Marth out ranges all of your attacks? But yet you still can't seem to kill him? Then follow these simple strategies(not so simple to execute) to lead that Marth your fighting to his doom!

A. Well. Now assuming that Marth is at a pretty decent killing %, you must first approach him with the intent on killing him and not just damaging him. Approaching for the kill and approaching just for damage are two completely different things. When you are approaching just to damage him, you are sure he is absolutely open and you can quickly escape from his deadly range. So your in and out very fast. When you are approaching for the kill, you are putting a lot of pressure on him.

-For the kill(Separated this so its easier to read): Approach him with projectiles of course until he either gets hit by a bomb or he blocks. If he is using double f-airs, approach from above. Once your inside his range, you are out of danger of being killed with one f-smash if your at a decent %(since his tipper is not inside of course. lol). This is when he will either try to grab or attack. This is your chance to use those awesome reading skills of yours. Since you've been playing this dude for the entire match(or quite often if you play him a lot), try and read whether he will attack or grab. Then go from there..:

1. If he attacks: You have two options here. Shield it and n-air out of your shield, or spot dodge it and d-smash. Its all up to you, but I suggest the spot dodge only if he uses a long lag attack such as f-smash or d-air.
2. If he grabs: Spot dodge and d-smash. If you are close enough to him, even if he spot dodges your d-smash as a counter, he will still get hit by the second hit. Once he is sent off the stage...

Off the stage: Now its time to use those awesome edge guarding skillz Young Link has. Its quite simple. If he goes below the stage and tries to sweetspot, bomb drop and d-air(or d-smash). If he does not sweetspot, d-tilt spike. If he is coming from the side, throw projectiles at him and force him to make a recovery below the stage. If you really wanted to, you can jump of and n-air him a couple of times. But be sure not to go out too far of course. :)

F-smash: 0/5

Mewtwo
Mewtwo is fairly hard to kill because of his weight and his ability to teleport out of combos. I dont have much good M2 experience, but I do have some. If you stun him with a projectile, you can easily land an aerial. d-air kills well and so does u-air. I'd ban Dreamland against this match up.

d-tilt spike: 0/5
Running Attack: 0/5

Ness
Ness is super easy to kill. Pretty much all his kill moves except for d-tilt spike works well. Its very easy to edge guard him and he is fairly light, so killing him is no problem. Just n-air him out of his up b and bomb drop on the ledge when he is trying to sweetspot.

Peach
Peach is a very hard to kill, only for the fact that she is almost impossible to edge guard. Majority of your kills will come from ceiling deaths(killing her up), so d-smash fails in this match. You dont want to get close to her since her d-smash kills easily. You can easily stun her with a projectile and easily go in for a u-air or d-air if she is below you(and in the air). Just stick with n-air on the ground. u-air and d-air when she is in the air. :o

Down Smash: 1/5
F-tilt: 1/5

Pichu
Pichu should be no problem to kill since he is very light. Every works very well, except edge guarding can be kinda hard. If he is trying to sweetspot, ledge hog for an easy kill. o:

Pikachu
Pikachu takes some work to kill since edge guarding him is very hard. Stick with d-air when he is in the air and up-air when he is above you. D-smash when close. n-air out of your shield works well too. You can bomb drop on the ledge if he tries to sweetspot.

Roy
Roy can be fairly hard to kill because of his weight, but pretty simple if you get off him off the edge. Just projectile spam when he is off the stage. d-tilt spike works well here as well as d-smash. u-air and d-air does'nt kill as easily due to his weight.

Samus
Samus can be fairly hard to kill. You should aim for trying to kill her with ceiling kills. d-air works very well here as well as u-air. d-smash not so well since she will likely come back from her recovery. If she does go off the ledge, she will start her bomb jumps. Just simply throw projectiles at her and mess with it and such.

Sheik
Sheik can be fairly tricky to kill sometimes, but then again..really easy if you know how to :o

1. On the ground, Sheik's normal approach will either be an attack or a dash grab. Some Sheiks like to spam needles, but then again..your projectiles > needles. So work on your projectile game if you can't get past the needles. If they are coming in for a dash attack, it is best to crouch cancel and d-smash. Some n00b sheiks tend to roll into you a lot, so anticipate this and d-smash them away for the kill. If they are coming in for a dash grab, spot dodge and d-smash. If they are really close to you while they are grabbing or attacking and you spot dodge, d-smash works really well.

2. Off the ledge. Edge guarding Sheik is fairly tricky actually since she teleports. You can d-tilt spike her if she is close to the edge before she activates her up-B. Usually, she will be too far from the ledge and is forced to sweetspot, this is where you just simple edge hog. Its the #1 way to edge guarding Sheik with any character. If they happen to grab to ledge though, force them to come up with a bomb drop on the ledge then d-air or n-air them out of their ledge roll(or whatever the decide to do). If they ledge hop f-air all the time, just crouch cancel their f-air if your at fairly low %s and d-smash them away :)

Yoshi
Yoshi can be pretty hard to kill because of his second jump allows him pretty much eat your attacks. d-air suffers here since his up-air will eat through it. You should stick with n-air and d-smash in this match up. Edgehogging works very well here since he has no third jump :)

Young Link
A ditto match :o Lucky for you, YL can kill YL really easily. Everything works here. D-smash, up air, d-air and running attack is what you should stick with. Watch out for d-air though, as YL's up air will cut through it. If you crotch cancel his up-b, you can probably land a d-tilt spike.

Zelda
One of YL's main counters. Zelda can be very hard to kill. d-smash works well and up air works extremly well. D-air works pretty well here too. Once off the stage, you can edge hog if you know she is going to sweet spot. If your quick enough, you can n-air her out of her up-b before she teleports. If she lands on the stage, just read where she is going and d-smash.

Special Kill Techniques:

These techniques are used to kill your opponents obviously. A lot of these are not widely known by many people and usually surprise people when they play Young Link. Some are super flashy while others are not so flashy.

The Lai-Fire attack:
A lot of people in GA have started calling this the Lai-Fire attack whenever I do it, and so thats the name i'm gonna call it from now on :)

How to do it: The most ideal and easiest way to do this if your opponent is coming up from below the ledge. If they use their up B trying to sweet spot the ledge, just simply bomb drop on their head as their coming up. They should pop up and leave themselves open for a free d-air. You can see this done a lot in any of my videos. This move does is really hard to pull off on some characters(Pikachu, Ice Climbers, Sheik, etc..), but CAN be done if timed right. Another variation of this is to bomb drop on the ledge if they are already on it or are about to be on it. Force them to come up from the ledge and drop down on them with a d-air wherever they are coming up from. :)

Bomb Stun N-air:
This is a bit harder to do and requires fast reaction. Pretty much, if your in the air and your right next to your opponent, dropping a bomb on them will cause them to stop all movement for a a very short time. Within that very short time is your chance for a free n-air. Its almost instant, the moment you bomb drop is the moment you n-air. Since your hitting them at the soonest frame possible with the n-air, they will receive the full knockback.

The Boot Wall:

I believe this comes from Buzz originally. Its exactly as the name says, a wall of boots. :) As your opponent is recovering, you can jump out and n-air them in the face, then double jump to n-air them again. You can connect 3 or 4 if you start the n-airs on the stage then land for your extra jumps.

More to come soon. :)

Coming up next :o
A guide on specific techniques to get that kill.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
How can you say "no type of guide like this exist"? Some people these days... :laugh:

But if you want to get specific, I'm game. Are we talking about Fox now? Well.. I like to n-air him in the face repeatedly. Cause it's an awesome move :o

>_>

I've noticed I tend to prefer the down-smash over all other attacks against a recovering Fox. I have the timing down really well. My opponents tend to meteor cancel my down-tilts. If Fox is coming into the edge at an upward-diagonal angle (as in he isn't rubbing the side of the stage) then I might attempt a down-air since it safely cuts through the fire fox recovery.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i dsmash if they try and sweet spot.

my favorite edgeguard tho ever would have to the the ftilt. if they are at a medium - high percent then they will usually be knocked back a good distance if they dont ledgetech it. good setup for an edgehog.

nairing is like the basic edgeguarding method that i use. i also like to get crazy with dairs and ledgehopped uairs if my opponent is at certain %'s.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I plan on doing situational stuff like the fox example too.

Stuff like.. "Peach is at high damage, but I cant get close enough to kill her." or "I cant kill Samus during her bomb jumping recovery, how do I go about in doing that?"

I just never seen a guide like the one im making before. It should also save more threads from being made, just like your overall YL guide Buzz.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Well hopefully it'll be more useful than others because most of the stuff in young link guides you already know and aren't that much help.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
maybe when he finishes all the character match-ups, he can format and edit the stuff collected in this thread in :)

Chip.

you know what to do
Whenever I fight a Fox, I find that d-smash works pretty well for hitting Fox off the edge whenever I get a chance, or instead I nair him off the edge.

Whenever edgaurding, d-smash would be your best option when he's using->B for a recovery and when he does upB Fire Fox too. If he's coming from under the stage, (at FD for example) I would throw a bomb and Bomb Plant him. You could also d-tilt him, but if he does meteor cancel it then go for a bomb plant again when he's coming back or a d-smash should suffice as well.

Laijin

Smash Hero
A FAQ would probably be a much better idea, since creating a guide would be kinda hard.
I hope you guys like the format im gonna have it in.
I'll post what I have once I finish the character match up section.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
This guide is turning out very well and I really enjoyed reading the sections for each character and what kill-moves work best on them and why. Thanks Laijin.

Chip.

you know what to do
In your FAQ you state:

Falco
Falco completely owns YL. I personally loathe this match up and usually just go for an alternate character. The only thing that gives YL the advantage in this match up is that Falco is super easy to edge guard.

But fairly recently you posted (in a different thread):

Seriously. Fox and Falco are not that bad of a counter for Young Link. There are seriously far worst counters. They do have an advantage, but its very slight. Its not as bad as people say it is.

So no. Falco and Fox are not hard to fight at all.
:urg: I'm confused, can you please explain what you mean by each of these statements :lick: ? :laugh: lol

Also, you have to PM a moderator to come and sticky it, or else he won't know that there is a thread of this. I'm sure Wak would be happy to do so :]

Laijin

Smash Hero
Oh! Sorry.
I grouped Falco and Fox accidently.
When I said Falco and Fox was not a hard match up, I was mostly reffering to Fox >__> Falco is alot harder on the other hand. Sorry for the confusion.

Jash

Smash Lord
Nice guide man, i learned something from it. But i don't how Nair for Falcos are a 3, i personally think it should at least be a 5 because it works wonders on him. 2 Nairs off the stage to Falco and its all over, no matter the %. But other then that everything else seems perfect, this really helps me with Foxs.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Nice guide man, i learned something from it. But i don't how Nair for Falcos are a 3, i personally think it should at least be a 5 because it works wonders on him. 2 Nairs off the stage to Falco and its all over, no matter the %. But other then that everything else seems perfect, this really helps me with Foxs.
Thanks. I agree. I changed that and also a few other things about Falco(and some of Fox too. :o)

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
You did a really good job with the Fox/Falco section but you should work a little more on the Marth section because those are the only characters that I really have trouble with.

And I also agree with you that Peach is a little hard to fight against which a lot of people say ylink is a Peach counter which I disagree on. Other than that great job and keep up the good work. ^-^

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Young Link does really well against Peach. Only cause he can easily keep her away and damage her easily without getting hit. The only problem with this match up is Young Link lacks the ability to get easy kills :(
That I can agree with and plus Peach's survival can be annoying when your trying to edgegaurd and get that kill.

Jash

Smash Lord
Well, one easy kill you can do to Peach that can kill her easily is Bomb to Dair. This would kill her at 105 or more. I dunno if Peach is a struggle for Young Links but i never had a problem with them. I usually kill every Peach that way, once they are hit by a arrow, i throw the bomb at them which sets them up for a Dair for the win. The arrow penetrates through anything so once they FC then thats a automatic death for Peach you can guarantee it. But i suggest just throwing the bomb to Peach when she FC just so no broken misses can happen.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Very nice guide, in depth and easy to read.
Btw i like how you never said its NOT easy to kill with Ylink, you just said you need to know how to kill with him...

Redragon

Chip.

you know what to do
But we're all good Young Link players here, we should all love eachother here ^_^

Anyway, you'd be surprised, I bet he doesn't know about this thread, jsut check with him anyway.

Plus, if it contributes to the Young Link boards then he HAS to sticky it, nomattawhat!

Laijin

Smash Hero
But we're all good Young Link players here, we should all love eachother here ^_^

Anyway, you'd be surprised, I bet he doesn't know about this thread, jsut check with him anyway.

Plus, if it contributes to the Young Link boards then he HAS to sticky it, nomattawhat!
Its nothing against his skill or anything, but personally I don't really like Wak too much. He has said some things to me in the past that really offended me. IMO, Wak is a complete *******.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Its nothing against his skill or anything, but personally I don't really like Wak too much. He has said some things to me in the past that really offended me. IMO, Wak is a complete *******.
Well. Even though this is my opinion(Due to, once again..some really offensive comments Wak has made to me in the past). :\ I'll ask Wak anywayz to sticky it.

Chip.

you know what to do

That's good you want to sticky it, but if I were you, I would REALLY consider editing that part.

1. He's mod, you'll recieve spam points
2. Wak is awesome!!!11!!11!!!!!1111!

Top Bottom