• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Having trouble getting that kill? A Laijin YL killing faq

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
What we need is fewer guides. 8D

Mine disappeared because the host died. It's time to make a new one. I'd love to combine a few guides into it. ^_^

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Perhaps it would be better if we simply took advantage of the existing smash wiki. For one thing, we wouldn't need hosting. We could collaborate, and it'd be nicely indexed and integrated to the rest of the knowledge base. Personally, I'm not a fan of guides inside forum threads.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Which one is the SWF-official one? That one? Or the Wikia one? Or do we even have an official one anymore?

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Now, I can beat a level 9 CPU within 30 seconds on Yoshi's Story stage. Practice makes perfect. Still gotta work on accuracy, though, cause I keep missing with y.link's sex kick in a combo.
Edit: just beat lvl9 bowser 2 stock within 47 seconds.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Laijin, I've been watching your streams. You distinctly lack one particular move: bomb drop. I know you know about bomb dropping, but I find myself yelling at the stream here and there where it would have really changed the flow of battle. The opponent has his eyes on you, not your litter. Bomb drops are excellent subtle ways to bait the opponent.

Laijin

Smash Hero
hahaha. Bomb dropping was a staple of my YL gameplay just a couple of years ago vs Falcon, Fox and Falco. You'll still see me use it as an emergency escape on occasion, but bomb dropping also does less damage than tossing the bomb at them. So I've been actually been trying to make my bomb toss baits better. Bomb dropping only truly is effective when they are chasing me hard, and when they are doing that it makes it easier for me to hit them with projectiles in the first place.

So you got another for those bomb drops besides when they are chasing me?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
hahaha. Bomb dropping was a staple of my YL gameplay just a couple of years ago vs Falcon, Fox and Falco. You'll still see me use it as an emergency escape on occasion, but bomb dropping also does less damage than tossing the bomb at them. So I've been actually been trying to make my bomb toss baits better. Bomb dropping only truly is effective when they are chasing me hard, and when they are doing that it makes it easier for me to hit them with projectiles in the first place.

So you got another for those bomb drops besides when they are chasing me?
For me, it is more about timing than anything. I agree with preferring direct hits, but bomb drops cause the bombs to be in the right place at the right time. Also, I think bomb drops are fantastic for shield/reflector-happy opponents. The bomb just bounces on top of them.

I know decisions aren't perfect in the heat of the moment. I just remember wishing you bomb-dropped at a couple key moments. Maybe someday I'll go back and find them. XD

Laijin

Smash Hero
Ah yes. Okay, on that note. I actually have been working on my bomb-drop mix ups when i'm facing a spacey that is reflector happy. No one has really done that to me for literally years hahaha, so its taking me some time to get back into doing.

Sfeet

Smash Rookie
I am a new Young Link main and just read all of this thread thanks so much Laijin and Buzz and Rhan and all of you pro's lending a helping hand to us n00bs :)

rhan

Smash Hero
First time being on the site in forever and the first thing I did was a name search lol

I dont even remember half the things I said in this thread.

Laijin

Smash Hero
If I'd update this guide, it'd basically turn into a "how to edge guard 101" instead of "how to kill on the stage".

But I'm making a movement guide for myself at the moment. I'll eventually release it when I feel comfortable with it.

Mr. Jam

Smash Apprentice
This is an amazing thread and has helped me alot.

Thank you master Laijin

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
Please do update this guide with any information you think could help. There aren't many young links to learn from, best I've got is one of the best Links in the world to learn from 1 hour ride from my place but Link is so different anyway.

Nausce

Smash Rookie
NNID
MutantPanda155
3DS FC
0619-3615-5944
Yeah we would really appreciate an update, I'm a new young link and I don't have much to learn from some he isn't that popular of a character, so that would be awesome (:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
I would always like updates Lajiin, Mystical Genie of the...

I really like this thread. You put a lot of effort into it and it shows too. It also helps in learning matchups, especially since I'm mostly self-learned.

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
4 months and still waiting for the guide update, it's kool tho I can figure it out on my own and my other main Doc has the best guide there is so I can't complain. I'll write one if I ever get good enough

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
kills were always hard for me when using young link thats why i stopped using him. then i found this it was lots of help with learning about kills using young link.

Yung Scrap

Smash Cadet
A good way to kill spacies I have found is to throw a bomb at them while they are recovering if they don't sweet spot or if they illusion, then hit them with a dash attack or f-tilt (if you're close enough).

Top Bottom