• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having trouble against sword characters

StinkFace

Smash Rookie
as wario it is to be expected but i am curious to know how you guys take these types of characters on, in particular marth/lucina and corrin.

i ask as i'm finding it frustratingly difficult to deal with them and they have not been covered in the matchup thread.

cheers

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
I would say there isn't a perfect method of dealing with those types of characters, and that how you adjust yourself differs between players. What I do against sword characters is to try to make them approach me more than I do them. When I do approach, I use airdodge mixups to get in safely. SH airdodge bite/dtilt/grab, or fullhop airdodge then coming down with an aerial works well if they're using a Fair to try to space you out. Do your best to weave your way through their attacks and punish. You don't want to bike often because they can usually easily hit you off, but I've found that angling the bike up seems to make it a little less likely that their disjoint can hit you. An underrated option against sword characters is also angled up Ftilt. I'm not entirely sure on the properties of ftilt, but it seems to do a decent job of hitting characters out of the air if you time I right. Dash attack is a good out of shield option if you shield something that isn't spaced entirely well.

Here's a vid of Reflex playing a Corrin, I guess it might help you to watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxbp95OUHpA
Theres one part where he uses bite to intercept Corrin in the middle of the sideB kick, definitely useful MU knowledge. He actually seems to play more rushdown which is interesting but I feel like you have to be pretty confident to do that.

Wario vs Sword characters isn't as bad as one would probably think once you get used to playing them, with the exception of :4cloud:of course.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Wario has issues with swords, no doubt. I doubt he wins any of the MUs against swordies. You just have to space better than your opponent really, that's how I feel about it. They're mostly very straightforward, fundamental based MUs from my experience. With the exception of Cloud.

They have better hitboxes, so you have to space better to prevent clashing them, because you'll lose every time of course due to theirs being disjointed. Against swordies my general mentality is to try and stay as close to them as possible while still being out of the sword's range. Gives you the most time to get punishes in.

Against all swordies but Cloud you really should be camping for waft all the time though, there's no reason to approach. With the exception of Cloud, they can't force approaches so that makes camping an even better option. They have to approach or you get free waft so you need to exploit that by running away constantly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom