• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Haven't faced any K. Rool mains since the patch...

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Seems like they heard about the recovery nerf and all switched to Piranha Plant!!!

But seriously, it looks like the patch actually caused players to drop K. Rool. I can't come up with any other explanation for how I could go 2 days w/o facing any K. Rools online.

Dr. Edgeworth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6422-2780-9325
co·in·ci·dence
/kōˈinsədəns/
noun
  1. 1.
    a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection.
    "they met by coincidence"
    synonyms:accident, chance, serendipity, fate, a twist of fate, destiny, fortuity, fortune, providence, freak, hazard; More

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
  • There's 75 characters in the game, you're not going to run into the same one every single day/online session.
  • New patch/a character dropping is obviously going to see a lot of people trying out new stuff to learn. People playing Plant want to get used to it.
  • If one would analyze the patch notes instead of just looking at statistical "buffs vs nerfs" aspect, the nerfs are insignificant on a larger scale.
K. Rool only got a slap on the wrist to neutral-b vacuum hold, a move only relevant at low-level play. He got a trivial tweak to his up-b hitbox that doesn't seem to actually affect much of anything. Finally, his down-throw bury is shorter at low percents and higher at high percents, making it function more consistently in high-level play.

Please do not spread misinformation and fearmongering like this.
Characters like Mega Man and Lucario got hit much harder.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Seems like they heard about the recovery nerf and all switched to Piranha Plant!!!

But seriously, it looks like the patch actually caused players to drop K. Rool. I can't come up with any other explanation for how I could go 2 days w/o facing any K. Rools online.
One things for sure, I'm not dropping:ultkrool:. I've waited 17 years for him to finally get in Smash and I voted for him in the Smash Ballot. So there's no way I am ever going to drop him. :ultkrool: will be one of my mains until the end of time.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
its been...what day and ahalf?
You arent going to face literally every character. Heck i still havnt faced about a third of the roster, including Wario which is considered pretty good, and im online alot.
KKR only got nerfed in a way that im surprised even got looked at. His gun suction wasnt that hard to get around and it got nerfed slightly. Who used it except while dropping on an edge-guard anyway?

Goddamn_Angela

Smash Cadet
Recovery nerf? What.

Also the nerfs were barely anything. My BF mains him and there is literally zero difference for most of the match, since you shouldn't be down throwing your opponent at 0% anyway, and they get buried longer at higher percentage when you would have most likely killed them anyway.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
only real difference is his upb isnt practically fool-proof recovery. Ive been spiked through it since the patch. But its still somewhat tricky to do, just easier.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Yeah, no. K. Rool's doing fine, anybody who's dropping the character over such minor changes probably just thought neutral B and side B were unstoppable walls and that dash attack is K. Rool's only approach option (I've fought a plethora of K. Rools like this online). His recovery didn't get nerfed, only the hitbox was changed to be better sized, and while harder to get off, Blunderbuss isn't any worse for wear, I mostly use it to catch ledge get-ups by dropping from platforms and it still serves that function fine. In fact, his d-throw was made much more consistent at higher percents (although I still need to un-teach myself to d-throw -> utilt and instead just u-throw at earlier percents).

Review the facts first, and please don't jump to conclusions from only your own, personal experiences. Piranha Plant dropped at the same time, of course people are going to want to try a new character out for a couple days, sometimes even over their own main.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Dropping K. Rool? Hell naw!

His nerfs were unfortunate, but they address some simpleton aspects of a few skills that aren't even practical against normal-ranked players, let alone elites. You should rarely be holding your gun at the ledge vs competent players because there are many better things you could be doing instead. You also should not be using D-Throw that often unless at very high percent; U-Throw deals 20%! D-Throw is much more consistent at higher percents now. The reduced hit-box on Helipak is kind of unfortunate, but the same characters who got through it before will still do it now, and many of the same ones who had to be wary before still need to be as wary now. Again, this is another anti-noob stomp change to stop people from KOing with Hekipak in the air as easy and clean up the hit-box a bit; this is a game full of details after all.

As for your comment about seeing less K. Rools; I say "good!". If anything, all it has done is gotten rid of the bandwagoners, which makes me very happy being part of the populace that always believed that K. Rool had a legit chance of getting into Smash and got laughed at; probably by many of these people who bandwagoned and have quit even though he's the same character as a few days ago, lol!

Can't speak for everyone, but I don't intend on dropping a perfectly unique character because of a few changes, and with the more casual crowd having hopefully dropped him now (that were never really fond of the character anyway), perhaps people will stop complaining and we'll eventually see them tweak his weaknesses a little in the future.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'm scared of Piranha Plant appearing. I don't want him to brick my console.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I'm scared of Piranha Plant appearing. I don't want him to brick my console.
... Online? People aren’t getting bricked from Piranha Plant appearing online. Only using PP in All-Star Mode causes issues, and all that does is wipe your save data for Smash. Piranha Plant is perfectly fine to download, play as (except in All-Star, but were you really planning on playing that anytime soon?), and fight against online. Make a backup for Smash’s data if you’re skeptic, Piranha Plant isn’t bricking anyone’s consoles, you’re safe.

Last edited:

KovuDaktari

Smash Rookie
The K. Rool nerfs hasn't affected me at all. I just decided to try different options after/instead of low damage dthrow etc.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Speaking of scarce characters, I have literally yet to see the Ice Climbers played online or in any tournament videos I've watched.

It's like they're not even in the game...

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Actually speaking of iceclimbers ive been seeing them a few times since the patch.
That sideb spin is annoyingly difficult to punish with any character but KKR seems to have no answer unless theyre dumb enough to do it on the ground far enough away for a projectile to come out. Its one of those moves that i swear ALWAYS wins nomatter what move i use or when i use it.

Last edited:

CasualGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
CasualGamer89
Haven't noticed anything too crazy, but there's been a few. Mirror matches are fun!

Top Bottom