• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have Super Smash Bros Fan-Games managed to rival the Quality of the main series?

Do you think the fan-games rival the main series?

• Total voters

ehnkr2beboh

Smash Rookie
Just look at SSF2 Beta and SSBC v.0.9.1, even Melee Light and Smash Land are also great. But the question is, do they at least rival, if not even SURPASS (which they most definitely have not) the main series.

Last edited:

Clueless_

Smash Rookie
They Definitely have not surpassed the quality of mechanics and gameplay that has been produced by Nintendo. It helps that the real ones are funded by a large company while the knock off ones are small teams. Not even a question which one is of better quality but a cool discussion never the less.

ehnkr2beboh

Smash Rookie
Well compared to Smash 64 I say they are kind of better. But yeah, they have not surpassed the quality of the real games but they are getting pretty good, plus despite having smaller teams, games like SSF2 and SSBC have been in development for 10+ years while a real Smash game usually takes less.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
They're really impressive given the smaller development teams they have but they're hardly on par with the official Smash Bros games.

The one thing that I really like about those games over the official series is that they add characters that would normally not have a chance of being in the official Smash series or would be really unlikely. (i.e. Saki in Crusade and Isaac in SSF2).

Clueless_

Smash Rookie
I’d say these games are on par with smash 64 simply because it is older, you can’t beat Nintendo at their own game. Unless your Nintendo, or your hungrybox and fighting reggie:

TheHumanSonikku

Smash Cadet
I would say yes, if these games were trying to target handheld or smaller games.

Sadly, many people will disagree because of the rosters they have.

D

Deleted member

I will have to say no this. The fan games are okay, but to me it's just not the same. I've played Smash Flash in the past but with controls/mechanics I could never get a feel for, it just does not cut it compared to the real Melee.

Sayonara :kirby:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
that's kind of a matter of opinion... it kinda depends on their mission statement behind it. by last recall, SSF2 in particular set out to make a Smash Bros game that's comparable to the main series using Flash. it doesn't set out to do better, exactly, it just sets the goal that "they can make a game that's just as entertaining as the main series" using Adobe Flash.

depending on who you ask, whether it succeeds or not varies... but if you ask me, then I think it's getting very close to achieving its end goal. I feel it just needs to sort out a lot of technical issues and perhaps provide some additional side attractions, maybe even do a sort of larger scale single player mode to complement Classic someday.

so... yeah, it depends on who you ask...

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Does Project M count as an "fan-game" for this? If it does then I don't think there's really much to debate over, but either way, I'm going to say that they have gotten on par with the official titles because SSF2 is an very solid game as well.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Does Project M count as an "fan-game" for this? If it does then I don't think there's really much to debate over, but either way, I'm going to say that they have gotten on par with the official titles because SSF2 is an very solid game as well.
Technically, it's a mod made by fans... but it's still a game, so I think it counts.

But either way, you're still right about SSF2. It just feels a lot like an actual Smash with sprites, especially now that there's native controller support.

pikadrewuniverse

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4270-1564-7855
Rivals of Aether is a very professional Smash based game. With the addition of indie characters like Ori it gives it more validity.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Rivals of Aether is a very professional Smash based game. With the addition of indie characters like Ori it gives it more validity.
I'd advise against potentially muddling the difference between a "Smash Fan Game" and another "platform fighter"...

while it's true that the latter was started by Smash, games like Rivals of Aether have put their own spin on the formula to distinguish itself... fan-games like SSF2 or Crusade actually use the Smash logo and stuff related to it.

it's the primary reason very vocal minorities or trolls tend to stir up trouble by flinging insults and calling other such platform fighters "Smash Clones"... and that's a whole different rant.

ehnkr2beboh

Smash Rookie
First of all, yes Project-M is a fan-game since it is a fan-made project. The thing is, everyone knows that it is as good as the real series. Rivals of Aether is also really good. So I think we can say that SSF2, SSBC, Rivals and Project-M if it counts, are better than Smash 64, Smash 3DS, and Project-M is arguably the best Smash game. So if McLeodGaming, ProjectCrusade Team, Dan Fornace, ikneedata and PMDT made a Smash game together it would be about as good or better than the main series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh good Lord, I almost forgot about Project M. About two weeks ago I, a 56-year-old Christian woman, played that for the first time ever and it was a good time. Therefore, if anything, PM certainly compares to the main series.

Soreja, mata ato de. :kirby:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Just look at SSF2 Beta and SSBC v.0.9.1, even Melee Light and Mario Land are also great. But the question is, do they at least rival, if not even SURPASS the main series.
That's an incredibly lofty goal to reach. The scale of either SSF2 Beta and SSBC are far smaller than an official Smash game.

I doubt it. There might be a game that's as good as an official game but that is going to be far in the future.

D

Deleted member

Crusade and Flash 2 are solid games but they're definetly not on par with most of the main series games, which is to be expected because they are fangames.
I'm actually hoping to make my own Smash fangame one day because I want to see my dream roster happening in some way
But it will never happen because I don't have enough time to learn how to program and I suck at making sprites

ehnkr2beboh

Smash Rookie
All fair enough but...
1. Project M is a fan-game
2. By main series I mainly meant Smash 64

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
In terms of programming, absolutely. I'm impressed that Crusade even has things like a functional Ice Climbers and Olimar, the option to use Brawl or Melee style airdodges, and the ability to set multiple attributes to the individual players.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I wouldn't even consider Project M a fan-made game, since it relies on preset characters and stages. If Roy and Mewtwo were taken from Melee, then that doesn't help, either. I'd consider a fan-made game a game that doesn't use pre-existing characters, levels, stages, whatever. It's made from scratch. But, to the question, nah, I doubt it.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I've been playing those fan games a lot lately and while I do praise the developers for the big improvement, those games definitely don't rival the main series in terms of quality.

SSBC is terribly unbalanced with some moves don't even working properly (such as ashley's side b)

Flash 2 online has a glitch that basically never allow you to connect with some people, and there's no explication as to why that happens as far as I know.

ehnkr2beboh

Smash Rookie
I had no clue this discussion continued. These games are impressive, can we say that at least. But, yeah, they are not even close to being on par with sm4sh, expect Project M, which I do think is a fan game.

Edit: 2 Years from making this post, I am no longer a newcomer who had barely played Smash but played Flash 2. What I know is, this thread is dumb. They obviously aren't. 64 is better than these games, but I do agree PM is still real good. This question is so obvious now. Fan Games suck in comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom