• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Have any efforts been made to involve Nintendo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm sorry if this has been addressed, but I can't find any threads on the subject.

Has anyone attempted to bring Nintendo into the discussion here? Generally speaking, when people are being paid to play your game, it should hold at least some degree of interest.

Maybe with enough coaxing, Nintendo would see it fit to release a "tournament edition" of Brawl that not only tweaked the game but also allowed for further release and download of balance patches. After all, we live in an age where developers can balance fighting games post release, so why should Nintendo not at least consider following suit, especially if it would result in additional advertising for Brawl?

Again, what steps have been made to contact Nintendo?

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I'm sorry if this has been addressed, but I can't find any threads on the subject.

Has anyone attempted to bring Nintendo into the discussion here? Generally speaking, when people are being paid to play your game, it should hold at least some degree of interest.

Maybe with enough coaxing, Nintendo would see it fit to release a "tournament edition" of Brawl that not only tweaked the game but also allowed for further release and download of balance patches. After all, we live in an age where developers can balance fighting games post release, so why should Nintendo not at least consider following suit, especially if it would result in additional advertising for Brawl?

Again, what steps have been made to contact Nintendo?
At the very least, at least try to get them to support a potential return of Smash to MLG. Asking for a tournament edition is a bit much. If they wanted to do it, they would have, and Nintendo is pretty well known for either telegraphing its interests clearly or not saying anything at all because they are probably working on other projects anyway.

I mean, does the team that made Brawl still completely exist? We don't know that. Though, it may not matter.

The first step is to at least get them to support the current competitive scene, allowing for more growth when it comes to big organizations like MLG, rather than jumping right into "make a Super Super Smash Bros Brawl plox".

$.02

bleyva

Smash Ace
if nintendo thought of Smash as a competitive fighting game, there could be a chance. but seeing as this is merely a casual party franchise to them, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell for such a creation.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
Maybe with enough coaxing, Nintendo would see it fit to release a "tournament edition" of Brawl that not only tweaked the game but also allowed for further release and download of balance patches.
Please.... Please Sakurai, spare mercy on our souls

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
At the very least, at least try to get them to support a potential return of Smash to MLG. Asking for a tournament edition is a bit much. If they wanted to do it, they would have, and Nintendo is pretty well known for either telegraphing its interests clearly or not saying anything at all because they are probably working on other projects anyway.

I mean, does the team that made Brawl still completely exist? We don't know that. Though, it may not matter.

The first step is to at least get them to support the current competitive scene, allowing for more growth when it comes to big organizations like MLG, rather than jumping right into "make a Super Super Smash Bros Brawl plox".

$.02
I suggest a tournament edition because it would be just about the only reason I could see Nintendo going for this at all: the knowledge that they'd stand to make some money off of it.

If they tweaked SSBB, maybe added the partial characters they had half-way done and sold it for $30, they'd still be making a mint off of it.

Also, no, the original team doesn't need to exist. Anyone can pick up the source code and run with it. They'd just need a designer who understands fighting game balance but sadly, most of those work at Capcom.

Please.... Please Sakurai, spare mercy on our souls
I'm not clear on this... Are you saying you would like to see it or not?

NNID
Budget_Player
Nintendo is intentionally against making smash competitive.

/thread

EDIT: although seriously, ninty could literally take Brawl- as is and publish it as "Super Smash Bros Brawl X" and make a ****ing mint off of it.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Nintendo don't care about competitive gaming it's hardcore to them and they are all about causal gaming and making that green off their ****ty cash console.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
The issue is, though, I'm pretty sure all of the casuals in my area actually prefer Minus over Vanilla...

In a way, this has already been accomplished. It is called Melee. From the various interviews regarding smash, melee is about as close to nintendo's involvement that we have seen in making a competitive fighter game.

Also, if anyone does want a more fighter oriented game, then I do not think anyone could do it better than ourselves. This is already happening too with Project Melee.

Nintendo's involvement is giving us a system to play, and us to work with it. I like this idea of players having the ability to change the game to the way they all feel about it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
EDIT: although seriously, ninty could literally take Brawl- as is and publish it as "Super Smash Bros Brawl X" and make a ****ing mint off of it.
Don't you mean Publish PM when its finished as "Super Smash Bros. Melee 2.0" and make double that? :troll:

NNID
Budget_Player
Don't you mean Publish PM when its finished as "Super Smash Bros. Melee 2.0" and make double that? :troll:
No, I don't. Project M has a very different goal from Brawl- (or at least, what people have perceived from Brawl-; I hold that Brawl- is incredibly competitive but sometimes I feel like I'm the only one), and draws a very different audience. As such, it would be less than ideal for a sequel to brawl. I mean, compare it for a moment here. Project M has massive, overarching changes all over the place, from the physics engine to landing detection to DI; things that casuals most likely will not be too pleased about (most casuals prefer the relatively slow pace of brawl). Brawl- is fairly easy to adapt to because most of the work is just in character edits.

I'm trying to avoid Brawl- vs. PM debates, because I know they're bound to end like Brawl vs. Melee debates, but I can say with almost 100% certainty that PM is less of a brawl sequel than Brawl-, if only because PM is a throwback to the "good old days" of melee.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Or, they could go with Balanced Brawl: all of the care, dedication, polish, and true balance... none of the ridiculous broken characters or unnecessary engine edits.

Seriously, BBrawl ftw.

shanus

Smash Hero
I think Jack Kieser and BPC will take any chance out there to make a plug for their mods lol.....

NNID
Budget_Player
Or, they could go with Balanced Brawl: all of the care, dedication, polish, and true balance... none of the ridiculous broken characters or unnecessary engine edits.

Seriously, BBrawl ftw.

Bbrawl would be another alternative, but I also kinda doubt it, because tbh it's just not as wild and crazy. It's certainly an improvement, but most casuals would not see it as much of a change at all, or for that matter a change in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom