• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hat Kid - Time to Throw Her Hat Into the Ring!

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Hat_Kid_Transparent.png

I'm a time traveling explorer! No area is too dangerous for me and my umbrella.
My mission is to find all the timepieces so I can go home!
I wish it was that easy...

Who is Hat Kid?
Hat Kid is the human-like alien protagonist of A Hat in Time, an indie 3D platformer funded via Kickstarter and inspired by the 3D Collectathons of old, such as Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. Ironically enough, despite starting development in 2013, the game wouldn't release until 2017, around the same time another game attempting to return to these same roots would release; Super Mario Odyssey.

From parts unknown, Hat Kid's time-powered spaceship is broken into by a member of the Mafia of Cooks on a planet she's passing by, causing her to lose all of her Time Pieces, which are vital to fueling her flight home. From there, she has to embark on a planet-wide quest to recover all 40 of her Time Pieces (56 with both DLC packs installed), by any means necessary. She'll make friends-turned-enemies and enemies-turned-friends alike along the way!

Why Add Hat Kid?
Hat Kid in Smash would be a wonderful achievement for the indie gaming scene, as at the time of writing this, no character debuting from an indie game has made it into Smash as a playable character. The closest we have to that as of right now is Shovel Knight of Shovel Knight fame as an assist trophy, along with a couple Spirits from his game, and Shantae from the Shantae series as a spirit, along with a Spirit of her rival, Risky Boots. Although not a Nintendo-exclusive, originally releasing for PC and then Playstation 4/Xbox One a couple months later, a port of the game is finally coming to Nintendo Switch this upcoming October.

Hat Kid's kit provides excellent moveset potential. Hat Kid's movement system in her home game is fast and fluid, sporting a double jump, wall climb, wall jump, and a dive ala Super Mario 64 that can be executed and cancelled into a jump from the ground or in midair. Beyond the basics, she has an array of hats and badges that provide her with plenty of abilities! Use the Sprint Hat for to start running at breakneck speeds, the Brewing Hat to charge up and then throw explosive potions, the Ice Hat to turn into a frozen statue and crush everything beneath you, and more! Equip the Projectile Badge to turn your basic melee attack into a chargeable laser beam, the Fast Hatter badge to reduce the cooldown on your hat abilities, the Scooter badge to ride in style, and more!

Points in Hat Kid's Favor
  • Her home game was inspired by Nintendo and Rare's 3D platforms of old and new, and draws lots of inspiration from Nintendo games in general with its designs and mechanics.
  • A Hat in Time is soon to be ported onto the Nintendo Switch.
  • Moveset potential is certainly there; potential for an acrobatic movement system compared to other fighters, special moves using the abilities of her hats, and/or a badge system that allows for customization of playstyle.
  • Heckin' cute
Points Against Hat Kid
  • An indie property, which as stated above, one has yet to become playable in Smash and if one can even reach that status is currently unknown.
  • Originated on PC, and was ported to other systems first, only now being ported to a Nintendo platform.
  • Not quite as popular as other highly-requested indie characters for Smash, such as Shovel Knight, Shantae, Sans/Frisk, etc.
  • Still heckin' cute though

Other Content

Bow Kid
Co-op_girl_teaser.jpg
Hat Kid's Player 2, the Luigi to her Mario, Bow Kid! She's the game's co-op partner, introduced in the Seal the Deal DLC pack. She could either function as an alternate costume slot akin to Alph for Olimar and the female Pokemon Trainer for the male Pokemon Trainer, or become an Echo Fighter with minor differences from Hat Kid.

Alternate Costumes
Hat Kid unlocks various cosmetics through out her adventures, from alternate color palettes for her whole outfit to new designs for her hats, or even brand new ensembles for her to wear, the combinations are far too many to list here!
Take a glance for yourself, Smash wouldn't be too hard pressed for choices for Hat Kid's/Bow Kid's alternate costumes.

Music
Her Spaceship
Welcome to Mafia Town
She Came From Outer Space
Mafia Boss' Big Showdown
Dead Bird Studio
Picture Perfect
Train Rush
The Battle of Award 42
Subcon Forest
Toilet of Doom
Your Contract Has Expired
Alpine Skyline
Clocktowers Beneath The Sea / Scootin' Through Clocktowers Beneath The Sea
You Are All Bad Guys (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
Collapsing Time Rift
Rush Hour

Hat Kid Supporters

Author's Note: I personally believe Hat Kid has little chance to get in Smash at this current point in time, especially compared to other big name candidates. But one can dream, eh? I want to at least show my support and spread the word for her possible eventual addition to the roster of Ultimate or a future entry in the series.

D

Deleted member

I'm surprised nobody's made a thread for A Hat in Time till now. I'll throw my hat into the support list. This game deserves some love.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just recently 100% percent completed and finished Hat In Time for the first time ever and it was a blast. But yeah, I support LASS!

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
DARLING!

Anyway, there's already a Hat Kid support thread. Just thought I'd let you guys know.
There is? I checked the Support Thread Directory multiple times and there was nothing there I could find for Hat Kid. Link?

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
https://smashboards.com/threads/a-smash-in-time-hat-kid-for-smash-bros.466376/

Although for some reason, it's not on the list. Still, its been here since December, apparently.
Huh, odd. But thanks for bringing this to my attention. If that thread gets added to the list/the OP of that thread wishes so, I'll have this thread taken down and transfer over to that one. If that one gets abandoned by the OP, we could merge it with this one or I could take over ownership, whatever works.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, there is another support thread already.

Hat Kid is one of those characters that you just know she would fit perfectly in Smash. Great fighter, amazing levels to pick from, 10/10 music. But the fact that the game still hasn't arrived on Switch is going to keep her out this time. :urg:

Hopefully, we'll see her next game, or 2nd DLC pack if that happens.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As cool as it would be to see Hat Kid in Smash, I don't think she is getting in before Shantae and Shovel Knight. Either of those two or a Undertale rep will probably be or first Indie character in the roster.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Guys, more DLC confirmed! The dream is real! Hat Kid now has a chance!!! :colorful:

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Huh, odd. But thanks for bringing this to my attention. If that thread gets added to the list/the OP of that thread wishes so, I'll have this thread taken down and transfer over to that one. If that one gets abandoned by the OP, we could merge it with this one or I could take over ownership, whatever works.
I am the OP of the other thread. While it is not very active, I have been keeping an eye on it. That said, I don't much care which thread we consolidate into as long as everyone knows where to go and all material provided for both threads is preserved.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I am the OP of the other thread. While it is not very active, I have been keeping an eye on it. That said, I don't much care which thread we consolidate into as long as everyone knows where to go and all material provided for both threads is preserved.
Ah, hello! I was going to eventually contact you on the matter, but this just makes things easier, haha. I think it would be better to just transfer over to your thread, since it has seniority and all. I'll leave a comment on the Newcomer Support Thread Directory thread requesting to lock this thread and to properly document yours if that's fine with you, so something like this doesn't happen again. Anyone who's shown support here, if you haven't already, please do so on Paraster's thread as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom