• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hasbro Game Night FIGHT! - The Final Season

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Okay, few... odd ideas for themes have come to me, but I think there's potential here.

1. Submit a character or IP primarily associated with Japanese markets (EXCEPT Power Rangers).
With Takara-Tomy having a lot of Japanese history behind them, and even Hasbro dipping into the region from time to time, I think that a Japan-focused job could lend to some interesting and diverse suggestions. Whether we go with something relatively well-known, like Microman, Zoids or B-Daman, or perhaps something a little odder such as Choro-Q or Licca-Chan, there's plenty of potential we could delve into with a job like this.

2. Submit a fighter that originated from an electronic toy or video game of some form.
Whilst Hasbro, Takara and Tomy might not be the first companies you'd think of in terms of video games, they all have a surprising amount of video game history behind them. Whether you delve into Takara's publications such as Battle Arena Toshinden, Earthworm Jim 2 and Princess Maker, their numerous NEOGEO ports over the years, or something from the now-defunct Hasbro Interactive library of publications like Glover or Worms: Armageddon, we've got quite a lot of interesting video games to pull from should we wish to (albeit with licenses changing hands and the like, some might be more difficult than others.)

3. Submit a third-party fighter that ISN'T owned by either Mattel, Bandai, or LEGO.
There's a lot of potential here, and we can't let ourselves miss it! This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but it's a good opportunity to see some more interesting guest characters that aren't solely here on the basis of being "from big company" - it's a good place for us to see pretty cool alternatives from companies like Ideal, Funko, Fisher-Price, Crayola... or if we really want to rock the boat, Games Workshop.

brain blast go brrrrrrr

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
3. Submit a third-party fighter that ISN'T owned by either Mattel, Bandai, or LEGO.
There's a lot of potential here, and we can't let ourselves miss it! This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but it's a good opportunity to see some more interesting guest characters that aren't solely here on the basis of being "from big company" - it's a good place for us to see pretty cool alternatives from companies like Ideal, Funko, Fisher-Price, Crayola... or if we really want to rock the boat, Games Workshop.
Fisher-Price is still Mattel (well, the Playskool of it).
It's like saying that Bandai and Banpresto are different.

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Reminder to submit any themes or costumes soon-ish

I will likely close submissions in about an hour

D

Deleted member

Submit a character from the Hasbro Comic \ Cinematic Universe
Miconuats. Inhumaniods. MASK. Visionaries, Army Ants. Could also be a second rep fro! Go Joe, Transfomers or Rom. Basically the "submit an action character" round.

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
DAY 61
Alright, so a lot of progress has been made on the DLC front; so much say that I will say for sure that DLC will officially start this Monday, February 13th. Woohoo! In case you're wondering, Sunday will mostly be a reflection on the base game.
Of course, the DLC rounds are going to be determined by the vote we will be having... right now!
NEW VOTES
Before I get into the DLC themes...
I want to get this out the way first. Common consensus seems to be between these two numbers, so that's the focus for this poll.

On another note, I don't usually like slamming two large votes together as it tends to clog up the thread (imo), so, the Costume vote will be held tomorrow... though that means anyone who hasn't submitted a costume can submit one today!

And with that out the way... here we go! Our DLC Theme submissions are:
  • Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers M Master Hero Sock-on-Rye
    • For those who don't know, Galaxy Rangers was one of the first American-produced Anime shows all the way back in 1986, centering around a Sci-Fi and Wild West mixed world; The show itself became a cult-favorite series with various defined characters that would go on to make it well remembered in 80's television, not reaching icon status but the same fondness levels as Transformers and MotU for sure! An inclusion in a Hasbro Fighting Game would be more than deserved for a show of this calibre!
  • Non-Power Rangers Saban Characters M Master Hero Sock-on-Rye
    • Saban is a huge asset of Hasbro's in the 2020's era, but outside of Power Rangers there is not much of any Saban representation in the roster; For those who are interested in branching out the company's inclusion, this round would do exactly that!
  • Littlest Pet Shop DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26
    • Self-explanatory, honestly.
  • Inanimate Fighter Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP
    • A round centered around turning inanimate objects into full-blown fighters! We had a few suggestions along this line in the base game, but they never came to fruition. Perhaps now is the chance to change that!
  • Second Series Represenation PinkFlare PinkFlare
    • A round dedicate to series already in the base roster! Any major characters missing the first time around would be primed for an inclusion through this round, and an easy way to tackle what would likely be a recurring theme for submissions!
  • Unrepresented Series PinkFlare PinkFlare
    • Characters from a series not currently present on the playable roster; There's still a whole heap of Hasbro and Takara IPs to discover and utulize, after all!
  • Non-D&D/Magic WotC AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
    • Our base game WotC rounds were almost exclusively dedicated to D&D and Magic, but this is a company with a huge presence in tabletop gaming; This round would be the best opportunity to dive deeper into the company and branch out into new series that helped build this company what it is today... for better or for worse
  • Board Game Characters AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
    • A round dedicated to characters representation board games from Hasbro's library! We have quite a handful already in the base game, but one more couldn't hurt!
  • Japanese Characters KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
    • Admittedly my favorite of these submissions A round dedicate to toys and IPs geared more for Japan than in the U.S., or with Japanese roots! Of course, with the exception of Super Sentai/Power Rangers. But in any case, we didn't quite tap into the Japanese market of toys like we perhaps could have in the base game, so a dedicated DLC round oughta do the trick!
  • Electronic Toy/Video Game Fighters KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
    • Hasbro and Takara have dipped their feet into this market quite a bit, without much representation on the roster; But with such a varied, rich and obscure history behind Hasbro's foray into the medium of electronics and games, there is bound to be an character well-deserving enough to join in the fight!
  • Submit an Action Character @Darkonedagger
    • Of course, this being a fighting game, it wouldn't be complete without the action-orientated characters present! To provide a little history, back in 2016 Hasbro and IDW launched a shared universe of comics surrounded their action IPs, spawning a new subgenre of the Hasbro catalogue for which we can tap into! From practically untouched IPs such as Visionaries, Micronauts and M.A.S.K. to the familiar worlds of Rom, Transformers and G.I. Joe, an action character is bound to bear arms in the epic fight!
For this vote, I will simply handle it as normal; Rank your top 3, and your own submission cannot be in first!
Also, for those worried about the order of the themes, I will likely decide the order myself to space out any overlap we may have between themes. Speaking of which, there is quite a bit of overlap between what characters could be included, so when you vote, vote wisely!
JOBS
Yesterday's Costume Job is still open, only if you haven't submitted

Open Discussion: What are your hopes for DLC?

Not much else new to cover as we move into DLC, so simply put, what are you hoping to see come out of this new chapter for the thread?

Movesets and Arcade Endings are open indefinitely for any character!

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Just to briefly cash my votes in before a busy day.

1. Japanese
  2. Second Series
  3. Video Game/Electronic

Last edited:
1: Second Series Representative
2: Electronic Toy / Video Game Rep
3: Non-Power Rangers Saban Rep

Costume: Flex Fighters Stretch Armstrong

Discussion: I hope to see the occasional new item in the first season of DLC.

Arcade Ending: Girl Power!

Well, not really an "ending", but a pitch for one: Scarlett, Jem, Liliana Vess, and Jennifer Scotts riding the four Ponies into the metaphorical sunset.

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
1: Second Series Representative
2: Electronic Toy / Video Game Rep
3: Non-Power Rangers Saban Rep

Costume: Flex Fighters Stretch Armstrong

Discussion: I hope to see the occasional new item in the first season of DLC.

Arcade Ending: Girl Power!

Well, not really an "ending", but a pitch for one: Scarlett, Jem, Liliana Vess, and Jennifer Scotts riding the four Ponies into the metaphorical sunset.
I believe this is already a costume as the Netflix skin.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
1. Japanese Characters
2. Non-Power Rangers Saban Rep
3. Electronic Toy/Video Game Rep

All sorts of great prompt ideas for sure!

As for DLC, I am hoping we can tap into some obscure Hasbro/Tomy IPs, have some fan-favorites, etc. Basically, base game part 2. I'm also hoping there will be DLC items, assists, gaps left from base game to be filled and any loose ends tied to make Hasbro Game Night Fight! the best it can be.

Guest Character DLC will be fun to do as well for sure. I am kind of the "go with the flow" kind of person to hope to see the unrepresented IPs get something and anything else get added in.

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Been going back and forth on this, but I've decided to bring it up.

Regarding the DLC rounds, should I carry over only the top 3 winning themes and have a Free-For-All as the last round.

For reference, the layout for that would be:
  1. Theme 1
  2. Theme 2
  3. Theme 3
  4. Free-For-All (No Theme)
  5. Guest Round
If not then it'll just stick to doing all 4 as Themes and then guests.
I'm mostly just second guessing and back-tracking with these decisions, but I do want to make sure as many different characters get their chance and we're not restricting ourselves too much. I feel like a Free-For-All would also be the best compromise for any Themes that don't make it through the vote

Been going back and forth on this, but I've decided to bring it up.

Regarding the DLC rounds, should I carry over only the top 3 winning themes and have a Free-For-All as the last round.

For reference, the layout for that would be:
  1. Theme 1
  2. Theme 2
  3. Theme 3
  4. Free-For-All (No Theme)
  5. Guest Round
If not then it'll just stick to doing all 4 as Themes and then guests.
I'm mostly just second guessing and back-tracking with these decisions, but I do want to make sure as many different characters get their chance and we're not restricting ourselves too much. I feel like a Free-For-All would also be the best compromise for any Themes that don't make it through the vote
That actually sounds like a great idea. But what shall we do with the sixth themed round? Should we go a free-for-all for the guests?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Japanese Characters
2. Board Game Characters
3. Unrepresented Series

D

Deleted member

1. Japanese Characters
2. Board Game Characters
3. Second Series

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
DAY 62
Gonna speed through this quickly

The full vote for themes are:
  1. Japanese Characters: 21 Points​
  2. Electronic/Video Game Characters: 10 Points​
  3. Second Series Characters: 9 Points​
  4. Inanimate Objects: 7 Points​
  5. Board Game Characters: 7 Points​
  6. Unrepresented Series: 3 Points​
  7. Non-Power Rangers Saban: 3 Points​
Unfortunately, the other themes scored 0.

Now, since we have a tie for 4th place, it would be logical for me to do a tiebreaker. But I brought this up yesterday, so I'll do so again in the form of a poll.
If we end up doing all 4 Themes, I will simply have a tiebreaker poll for 4th place. Otherwise, the first 3 themes will still be happening!

Japanese Characters will be up first, and just to split the character overlap, Second Series will be second, with Electronic and Games up 3rd.
NEW VOTES
As promised, the costume vote will be today!
On a side note, the last item vote from before has officially been counted. I'm holding those results til tomorrow.
  • Classic Animation Megatron
  • Wild Force Jennifer Scotts
  • Jailed Rich Uncle Pennybags
  • Fairy Peppa Pig
  • Guardian Lord Zedd
  • Gold Zeo Ranger Jason Lee Scott
  • Terror Claws Skeletor
  • Great Lollipop Adventure Lord Licorice
Go ahead and rank each costume with either a "Y" or a "N", for yes or no respectively.

There will be no new jobs today, but tomorrow we start DLC with the Japanese characters job. Prep up.

Classic Animation Megatron: Y
Wild Force Jennifer Scotts: Y
Jailed Rich Uncle Pennybags: Y
Fairy Peppa Pig: Y
Guardian Lord Zedd: N
Gold Zeo Ranger Jason Lee Scott: N
Terror Claws Skeletor: Y
Great Lollipop Adventure Lord Licorice: Y

Also, like the Classic Play-Doh Cup, I would gravitate towards Jailed Pennybags the most. I'd say why, but I don't want to go into a seething rant about life.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Classic Megatron: N
Wild Force Jennifer: Y
Jailed Pennybags: Y
Guardian Lord Zedd: Y
Gold Zeo Jason: N
Terror Claws Skeetor: Y
GLA Lord Licorice: Y

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Yes to all costumes except for Gold Zeo Ranger Jason as I feel the Gold Zeo Ranger is too different from the MMPR Red Ranger.

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Classic Animation Megatron: Y
Wild Force Jennifer Scotts: N
Jailed Rich Uncle Pennybags: Y
Guardian Lord Zedd: N
Gold Zeo Ranger Jason Lee Scott: N
Terror Claws Skeletor: Y
Great Lollipop Adventure Lord Licorice: Y

DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 , you forgot to vote for Lord Zedd

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
DAY 63
Alright, ya'll. I actually woke up on time for this, so way to go!

Firstly, going to get some things out the way regarding results:
Screenshot 2023-02-13 094624.png
By unanimous vote, there will be one FFA Round for Hasbro's characters this season! To make things clear, that means our schedule for DLC will be:
  1. Japanese Characters
  2. Second Series Characters
  3. Electronic Toys & Video Game Characters
  4. Free-For-All Round
  5. Guest Characters
Also by Strawpoll vote, we will be having 8 stages for this opening season of DLC; Admittedly it is quite a lot but nothing we cannot work with!

Regarding the costumes: All of the costumes from this round will be included, with the exception of Gold Zeo Ranger Jason! The Costume Archive will be but up to date later today.
And of course, regarding the last Item round:
Elefun: 2 Yes, 4 No
Perfection: Unanimous Yes
Video Now: 3 Yes, 3 No
Hasbro's Rubik's Cube: Unanimous Yes
Toy Box: 1 Yes, 5 No
Revolver: Unanimous Yes
Magic 8 Ball: Unanimous Yes
Emerald Staff: Unanimous Yes
Koosh Ball: 5 Yes, 1 No
Armatron: 5 Yes, 1 No
Going by the results of this vote, and also by just going "No" on the tie, Elefun, Video Now and Toy Box will not be included, but everything else will! Congratulations to the winners!

And now, I am going to jump straight into the new jobs, because I am positive you are all very excited for this.
NEW JOBS
You know, toys are a universal language all across the world. They are "Fun" personified, after all. Every country knows what a toy is, and any kid (or adult) can recognize what it means to have a toy in hand. But for some countries, toys aren't just fun, they're a practice; Hasbro, an American company, built themselves an empire within the Toy industry. Fun became an art and they practiced it through and through, spawning several iconic toys and IPs that shaped childhoods, and without that ingenuity, this thread would not exist. But it's not always about American toys; What Hasbro built in the U.S., other companies have built similarly in Japan. An entire market of Toys, characters, IPs that have dominated the toy-landscape exist in this country, for which Hasbro also has a huge partnership with; And perhaps it is for this reason that we all voted for this round. An entire market of untapped IPs, ripe for Hasbro Game Night Fight, just waiting from across the world. In any case I've droned on way too f*cking long; Point is, Japanese Toys = Awesome!!!!
Job: Submit a Character heavily associated with Japan!
Just to make sure we're all on the same page, the characters submitted have to have distinct ties to Japan, either being exclusive there (at one point), originating from Japan, or being owned by a Japanese company. If it is owned by Takara-Tomy, it will qualify, as well as anything from the Hasbro library that fills out that previous criteria!
And, as prompted by KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 , no Power Rangers/Super Sentai submissions. Additionally, I will be adding my own prompt of no Transformers characters either. If you have an idea for a character from these series, hold onto it for later.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Japanese Character:

Resubmitting Shobu Kirifuda (Duel Masters)

ezgif-5-930d136868.jpg

I feel we should go for one of the more obscure Wizards of the Coast IPs to start off our DLC. Duel Masters is a media franchise with a manga, anime, trading card game, etc. It is worth noting that in North America, the anime was licensed by Hasbro. Alongside this, the trading card game was licensed by Wizards of the Coast and in Japan, the cards are made by Takara Tomy.

The franchise does not get much releases in North America as it does in Japan so if this platfighter were to release in Japan, Kirifuda would be a solid rep that would gain more recognition praise there than here. It is also worth noting that Kirifuda is the longest running protagonist of the Duel Masters anime. For his moveset, he could probably have a shield break gimmick like the Duel Masters game itself by summoning mosters to attack and what not. I remember having a DVD of the anime (English dubbed) but never watched it/nor was interested in it when my mom gave me it as a Valentines Day gift many years ago. This pick would bring back an obscure memory of mine and represent some more of the obscure Wizards of The Coast IPs.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I was thinking Sylvanian Families, but that has a somewhat messy copyright history and isn't a Tomy IP anymore. I was also eyeing Pop-Up Pirate, but he has an item - not sure if that disconfirms, anyway my submission will be...
Rizumu (Pretty Rhythm)

I'm not an anime guy, and especially not a "moe" guy, but I think this sort of character makes for a fun juxtaposition (especially with Jem on the roster), and being an idol gives her some really fun options for literal stages

hold on isnt pac man technically elegible for this

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Character Name: M121 Mason
Character Origin: Microman

1676312912369.png

A 10-centimetre tall scientist from the planet of Micro Earth, M121 Mason is a powerful (if diminutive!) adversary notable for his use of a wide variety of tools and equipment. Amongst other things, these would include a blaster, a jetpack, a variety of energy-based weapons - and even the gigantic mecha Robotman (which he can pilot for particularly powerful attacks.) He'd be on the smaller and lighter side as a fighter, but would have a nice variety of both close-up and long-range attacks with which he can keep himself alive and kicking. (Obviously he wouldn't be literally interpreted as 10cm tall - similarly to the Transformers, we'll need to consider a logical scale - but he's still quite diminutive compared to some characters.)

As for importance: well, without Microman and the like, we wouldn't have had the Micro Change toyline that eventually lead to Transformers - so there's some historical significance here! It also helps that Mason specificially isn't new to crossovers - having featured in Dreammix TV World Fighters as a playable character on the Tomy side. There's plenty of story and the like you could use here, as well as alternate costumes - the Microknight seems like a solid candidate - so we wouldn't be wanting in terms of content! Honestly, this feels like a solid inclusion overall. Whilst the Microman series isn't one of Tomy's biggest, it's got a lot of historical importance behind it, and (in one form or another) still exists today!

Last edited:
Top Bottom