• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has playing Brawl made anyone BETTER at Melee?

Best101

Smash Ace
Brawl has killed my Melee skills. But it felt good to do combos again in Melee, and to play a non-floaty 4 stock match that's not that's not 8 minutes long.

protokid

Smash Cadet
Brawl has killed my Melee skills. But it felt good to do combos again in Melee, and to play a non-floaty 4 stock match that's not that's not 8 minutes long.
Those are two reasons I won`t always play using the techs.
to keep things fair against my brother is the 3rd reason.:p

Best101

Smash Ace
Those are two reasons I won`t always play using the techs.
to keep things fair against my brother is the 3rd reason.:p
If I'm better at something than someone I won't go easy so he/she could. I will go easy enough so that my opponent can have a good match, but I'll make sure I won't lose. Imo it's not fair for me if I go easy and then lose.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I noticed that I play Melee a lot smarter now, and my tech skill is a lot more consistent than it was before I got Brawl. I don't try to do crazy technical stuff or go for combos all the time like I used to. It's like I'm seeing Melee from a different perspective now. I think my skill has changed for the better. I can finally switch comfortably between both. It's refreshing.
Somehow you've summed up my feelings exactly in that post. Wow.

Melee seems more fun now, and I'm pulling things off that I've never done before. It's quite awesome really.

Bernal

Smash Rookie
I've noticed that I go for more combos in melee than before. In brawl I play marth and use his fairs to combo. Even though I know my opponent can air dodge out of my so called combo, I know that sometimes the timing for the airdodge is hard to pull off so I go for the fair anyway.

When I went back to my melee falcon for example I noticed that I was able to chain sweetspotted knees compared to before playing Brawl when I would never go for something like that.

As others have said before, I too have noticed that I don't wavedash as often as before. And I also find myself running off ledges to gimp my opponents off the stage more often.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i actually play more offensively in melee now. probably because i was soo pissed at brawls campy defense game that as soon as i was done in my brawl binge and hit melee again i just wanted to move lightening quick, wavedash, and spike some nubs.

i play samrter and read opponents better tho but my tech skill gone down

D

Deleted member

Yes, Brawl has made me much better at Melee...

When I played Melee for the first time after Brawl came out, I could drillshine with Fox perfectly... and since there was no tech skill in Brawl, it made me much better at the mindgame aspect, and I could kill people much better because my tech skill in Melee was still there... I'm actually a lot better at Melee, so get at me :D

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that definitely is not the same for me 56k. I hadn't played melee since Brawl's release until last weekend, and my tech skill sucked ***, among lots of other things. I could barely wavedash, yet alone waveshine consistently like I used too. Also, the changes in Brawl threw my logic behing the game way off. I kept forgeting I could direction air dodge besides using it for wavedashing. I also didn't think only being able to grab the ledge facing it sometimes. And when I did, I would mess up the backwards wavedash to edge hog. Brawl has made me terrible at melee, but I think I could quickly recover if I practiced up, and if I got a new melee controller, which is way more important than having a good "Brawl" controller.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Brawl actually has helped my game. Brawl's decreased speed and difficulty in approach forces you to think more (especially if you're playing Sheik or some other nerfed character.) I found that this helped my Melee game a ton just because it made me slow down for a minute.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I usually play a couple rounds of brawl before I play melee. Getting camped and not being able to combo/punish is really annoying. I get kind of frustrated and say "lets put in a good game". When melee is put in, its refreshing to be able to move faster and play more technical. Playing Brawl then melee makes melee more fun for me. I play better when I am having more fun.

However, going from melee to brawl is the worst.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
It helped with my spacing and mindgames. lol, and I completely forgot dash dancing existed until I did it once on accident. After that, I was doing it all the time.... ooooh! It's so much fun!

Skler

Smash Master
Brawl hurts my game like there's no tomorrow. Brawl is crippling. Brawl requires such a tiny amount of thought it numbs the mind. If I can't spam a broken projectile all game until my opponent makes the ******** decision of actually approaching me I can't win for **** in Brawl. In Melee I actually have to think to get wins, not just tap X and B to beat 80% of the cast.

If you say Brawl improved your Melee game, have you ever thought everyone else has had the same debilitating brawl effects so nobody is playing at their peak? Brawl ruins tech skill and makes you shield way more then usual. It creates bad habits that will mess with your Melee game.

Smash Journeyman
It's improved my mental skill and edgegaurding massively. But my tech skills suck now, I can't L-cancel consistently, I airdodge to avoid air attacks, and I keep trying to do Dsmashes out of the shield only to spot dodge and get punished for it. But I've gotten better for the most part.

MrMoney

Smash Apprentice
i just started playing Melee and dont see how it is more fun then brawl...

Fletch

Smash Master
Brawl hurts my game like there's no tomorrow. Brawl is crippling. Brawl requires such a tiny amount of thought it numbs the mind. If I can't spam a broken projectile all game until my opponent makes the ******** decision of actually approaching me I can't win for **** in Brawl. In Melee I actually have to think to get wins, not just tap X and B to beat 80% of the cast.

If you say Brawl improved your Melee game, have you ever thought everyone else has had the same debilitating brawl effects so nobody is playing at their peak? Brawl ruins tech skill and makes you shield way more then usual. It creates bad habits that will mess with your Melee game.
This is how I feel, which is why I've put down Brawl for good (or at least until something that makes the game somewhat interesting comes along outside of D3).

Skler

Smash Master
i just started playing Melee and dont see how it is more fun then brawl...
You ever been to a tournament? Play a tournament brawl match with a good player then play a tournament Melee match.

We're talking about competitive matches, not FFAs or things like that.

Top Bottom