• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone ever played Jump Ultimate Stars?

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
If you don't know what it is, it's like Anime Smash Bros. It's a 2D platform fighter featuring over 300 characters from manga/anime apart of Weekly Shonen Jump. It released back in 2006 for the Nintendo DS and is the sequel to Jump Super Stars, which released in the preceding year. All your favorite Shonen Jump characters are here from Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, YuYu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Hunter x Hunter, Saint Seiya, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Fist of the North Star, Shaman King, D.Gray-man, Black Cat, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Buso Renkin, Gintama, and much more!
Now what makes this game so unique is the Koma System. You use this system to make decks of manga panels that you use to fight. Each Koma represents a different manga panel featuring the character it's for from that person's manga. They have different shapes and sizes, but the max amount of spaces that one can take up is 8 spaces on a 4x5 grid. There are three types of Komas: Battle, Support, and Help. Battle Komas, which take up 4 to 8 spaces, are the actual characters you use to fight. The higher the Koma means the more health, the flashier and stronger the two special attacks, and sometimes a transformation (Ex. Goku at Level 6 becomes a Super Saiyan and Luffy at Level 7 uses Gear Second). Support Komas are your assist characters who show up on screen, do one action, and then leave. They take up 2 to 3 spaces on the grid. Help Komas, which take up only 1 space on the grid and must be attached to a Battle Koma, can give your character special abilities like slow health regeneration, air dashing, triple jumping, or immunity to certain status ailments like Freeze and Paralysis. You need at least one of each koma type to make a deck, but from there the only limits are the sizes of the komas you put. You can make solo decks with a lot of supports and/or helps, 4 man decks that ignore supports and helps for the most part, and more balanced 2 or 3 man decks. Battle and Support Komas also come in one of 3 natures: Power, Knowledge, and Laughter. Think of it as a Rock-Paper-Scissors system in which Power characters/special attacks deal extra damage to Knowledge characters, Knowledge characters/special attacks deal extra damage to Laughter characters, and you know what comes next.
This system adds a deep layer of strategy and uniqueness as to what would have probably just been another Smash clone without it. And with the fact that there are over 300 characters (About 50 of which are actually playable), there is so much replayability as you create countless decks using your favorite manga characters. And that's just a small taste of what this game has to offer. The sad thing is that the online is down now and the computers themselves never really pose a challenge, even on the hardest difficulty.
I wish I could have gotten the chance to play this game when the online was available. Sigh. Well anyways, any of you ever heard about this game or played it yourself?

If you want to know what my favorite deck is, it's down below.

1. Luffy (One Piece) - 5 Koma
2. Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin) - 5 Koma
3. Kurama (YuYu Hakusho) - 5 Koma
4. Nami (One Piece) - 2 Koma
5. Kakashi (Naruto) - 1 Koma; Attached to Luffy and makes him take less damage from special attacks
6. Kuwabara (YuYu Hakusho) - 1 Koma; Attached to Luffy and increases his SP Gauge when attacking or blocking
7. Urahara (Bleach) - 1 Koma; Attached to Kenshin and lets him air dash

Last edited:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The game's absolutely brilliant. Thankfully there's a few great guides that go into detail about the missions (think Smash's event mode, but as the main single player campaign) on how to clear and unlock things.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I used to play it years ago. I don't remember my team exactly, but I played with 3rd Gear Luffy and Super Don Patch. It's a great game, yes....
But have you heard of One Piece: Gigant Battle? It's for the DS and it was the "Smash Killer" for me back then. Of course, there are more refined Smash clones now, so I don't know if it holds that title anymore. Anyway, it's the evolution of both Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars. There's more moves, the specials are fantastic, all "komas" now provide assistence in the battle, nice soundtrack. The only "bad" thing about it, it's just One Piece. But just so you know, when I started playing this game, I had no idea about anything One Piece. I recognized Luffy and some characters from Ultimate Stars, but only that.
After playing it, instant fan. Watched and read pretty much everything One Piece related, and all thanks to this game.

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
I used to play it years ago. I don't remember my team exactly, but I played with 3rd Gear Luffy and Super Don Patch. It's a great game, yes....
But have you heard of One Piece: Gigant Battle? It's for the DS and it was the "Smash Killer" for me back then. Of course, there are more refined Smash clones now, so I don't know if it holds that title anymore. Anyway, it's the evolution of both Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars. There's more moves, the specials are fantastic, all "komas" now provide assistence in the battle, nice soundtrack. The only "bad" thing about it, it's just One Piece. But just so you know, when I started playing this game, I had no idea about anything One Piece. I recognized Luffy and some characters from Ultimate Stars, but only that.
After playing it, instant fan. Watched and read pretty much everything One Piece related, and all thanks to this game.
I've seen gameplay of it on YouTube and that's it. It looks pretty awesome though from what I've watched and the core fighting itself does look more refined than JSS and JUS I'd say. The awesomeness that is Super Smash Bros. + the awesomeness that is One Piece cannot be overstated. Now if only Luffy could get into Smash. Impossibility and ridiculous idea I know, but it's still really fun imaging what his moveset would be like.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Was this released outside of Japan?
It was released in Japan and Europe. Also, there's a sequel with a lot more content called Gigant Battle 2 New World. Sadly, it was Japan only. (The story mode in that one looks eerily similar to World of Light. I wonder if Sakurai played it.)

I've seen gameplay of it on YouTube and that's it. It looks pretty awesome though from what I've watched and the core fighting itself does look more refined than JSS and JUS I'd say. The awesomeness that is Super Smash Bros. + the awesomeness that is One Piece cannot be overstated. Now if only Luffy could get into Smash. Impossibility and ridiculous idea I know, but it's still really fun imaging what his moveset would be like.
I don't think it's impossible. I mean, at some point they are going to run out of new hypeable characters, and with people constantly asking for the likes of Goku, who knows what will happen in the future.

prowler92

Smash Rookie
I have a copy of it for my Nintendo DS even though I can't read Nihongo before. It was fun using characters from Shaman King and Hunter X Hunter (especially Killua with the yo-yo). My only problem is how to build a good team since I don't understand the mechanics of the characters especially the effects with only 1-2 panels.

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
I have a copy of it for my Nintendo DS even though I can't read Nihongo before. It was fun using characters from Shaman King and Hunter X Hunter (especially Killua with the yo-yo). My only problem is how to build a good team since I don't understand the mechanics of the characters especially the effects with only 1-2 panels.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ds/933199-jump-ultimate-stars/faqs/45856

If you're still interested in playing, this guide has information on everything.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Do you think this game could get a follow-up one day on the Switch? With the exact same Koma system and everything?
I wish - the Jump line-up has expanded so much since 2006, with series going through major changes, being newly introduced, or growing in popularity. (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, for example, would have playable characters from parts other than part three!)

I have my doubts, since arena brawlers seem to be the go-to style of gameplay for anime adaptations these days (Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games, One Piece Burning Blood, Jump Force, One Punch Man: A Hero Nobody Knows, My Hero Academia: One's Justice...), but I'd love to see a Jump Super/Ultimate Stars sequel.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yup. 100% completed it on an emulator as well. It was pretty fun if sometimes frustrating.

Would love to see a modern follow-up incorporating more of Jump's history including the modern titles and including all previous characters. Throw in My Hero, Black Clover, Dr. Stone, Assassination Classroom... the lost goes on and on.

Top Bottom