• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has a game ever made you cry?

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
It is extremely difficult to make me shed some tears and I mean EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. But listening to Mega Man X3 (SNES) ending theme...The feels are real. Same thing with Mega Man X1's ending theme and Mega Man IV (Game Boy) ending and ending theme.

Also, watching let's plays of Mother 3 and Undertale I remember got me really emotional. Especially Mother 3. That game is on a whole nother level when it comes to how depressing a game can actually get. I mean. Wow.

EDIT: Rainbow Road and Victory Lap/Credits from Mario Kart 64 are also powerful as ****. I know this might sound like an obvious and stupid question, but does anyone wish they had a time machine so you could relive your precious childhood memories? Listening to music like this sure does a really good job at reminding me.

Last edited:

vertime

Smash Apprentice
I have never cried at a movie, book or game, not even nearly. It's fiction and I can't separate myself from that so it all just sorta brushes off me.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
There has only been one game that ever made me cry. Oddly enough its a game where one really pissed off dude goes around solving all his problems by punching them.

"My wrath is finally... gone."

_Sheik

Smash Lord
-Both Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team and Super Pokémon Mystery Donjon have made me cry hard;
-Mother 3 kinda did, thought not the end, but at the beginning;
-the biggest shocker was Final Fantasy X on multiple occasions though.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I know this is cheesy but the scene early in the game when Aris' adoptive mother is telling the party about how she was waiting for her husband to return from the war at the train station every day. Then she finds Aris and her birth mother dying on the steps and promises to take care of Aris. The music is so beautiful. A few days later Aris tells her that her husband has passed but don't be sad because he's one with the planet and in another few days she get a letter confirming it and cries at the kitchen table. It so bittersweet and down to earth about loss and war. I cried more there than I did when Aris dies at the end of disk 1.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I'll admit that some music tracks from the Smash series (eg. Battlefield (Melee), Final Destination (Smash Wii U)) brings a tear to my eyes every once in a while.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I didn't actually shed a tear but I was close recently with Final Fantasy VI
When Celes made a failed suicide attempt believing that everyone she cared about died after the end of the world. That part, especially when tears comes flying out of her eyes during her fall, really struck a nerve on me and it has made me appreciate her even more as a character.

Of course, this was before I found out that Cid can actually be saved.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I didn't actually shed a tear but I was close recently with Final Fantasy VI
When Celes made a failed suicide attempt believing that everyone she cared about died after the end of the world. That part, especially when tears comes flying out of her eyes during her fall, really struck a nerve on me and it has made me appreciate her even more as a character.

Of course, this was before I found out that Cid can actually be saved.
^The power of good FF music, am I right?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I've never literally cried when playing a game although I have felt sad at certain scenes. However, the third track on Mario Paint almost made me want to cry. (Of course that may have because my Mom was going to graduate school in Davis California and she visited us for Christmas. My sister and I just so happened to get Mario Paint as a gift and we messed around with it a lot, so I associated the music with that bittersweet time.)

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
When I was waaay younger, I remember crying at the reveal of Super Mario Galaxy 2 out of pure happiness. There have been 3 other games that have made cry like a little baby and I'm not ashamed in the slightest. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, and Xenoblade Chronicles. For both Layton games, it was the endings and for Xenoblade it was multiple times because that's a pretty emotional game when you think about it.

Last edited:

Windstar

Banned via Warnings
After playing every single MMX game, and then the Zero series, MMZ4 got me really hard in the feels.

Just thinking about it makes me cringe with sadness.

Last edited:

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
The Last of Us.

The ending was so beautiful and depressing that I couldn't help it.

mcpon

Smash Journeyman
Devil May Cry was in my PS3 when I stubbed toe against the console hard, lol. It made my eyes water a little, lol. Does that count? :)

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
Not really, but for some reason the credits sequence in A Link to the Past almost got me the other day. Must just be intense nostalgia

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I think game that hit me most in the feels was Mother 3. This was even more so because I had played the other 2 just before. Remember, "No Crying Until The End."

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
As much as Mother 3 left an emotional impact on me, if that couldn't even make me cry then I don't think any game would.

I might have to come back to this post if Isaac and Banjo-Kazooie are in Smash

D

Deleted member

NieR was the first video game to ever make me cry. Second one was Undertale, and that made me cry a lot.

Sprintle

Smash Rookie
Ending of Metal Gear Solid 3 for sure.

It's hard to explain why without massive spoilers, but damn. It's a massive gutpunch.

Desu_Maiden

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I don't know or recall any game that made me cry, although I've felt emotionally triggered by certain games. I've never been so emotionally attached to a game , that a game has made me cry, because I'm mostly a-emotional while playing video games.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
No game has made me cry, but when i was younger and i reached the ending of Sonic Adventure 2 i did get a bit sad, it got pretty emotional with the music and all that, but i didn't cry.

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
Chrono Cross is one of those rare games that actually got me to tear up a little. All I can say (without spoiling) is somewhere in the middle, and during a boss fight no less.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Kingdom Hearts 1: The ending cutscene where Sora and Kairi parted ways, and I BAWLED (keep in mind I was in a long-distance relationship at the time)

FF7: The death of Aerith/Aeris. My best friend who's a ****ing ghoul tricked me into leveling Aerith super hard on my first playthrough, so my tears were out of frustration and also an attachment to the character

Star Fox Zero. During the Star Wolf battle on Sector Beta, there was a point where the my ship passed Wolf, and the game slowed, and Wolf says "C'MON!" and right as the music cues back in the apex of the choir of the Star Wolf theme hit, and I just started crying. I'm a huge Star Fox fan, to the point where I wrote a multi-part novelization on it, and that moment I just described was everything I could've wanted in a Star Fox game, despite the game being terrible in itself.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
Just recently, Final Fantasy VII.

The death of Aerith. I was in total shock when it happened and it was just very sad and tragic. And that cutscene in which Cloud was carrying her lifeless body into the lake and watching her sink to the bottom was just...well...heartbreaking. I remember tears were coming out of my eyes as I witnessed that moment...
Yep, this got me back in the day.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Mother 3, and the first four Metal Gear Solid games.
Undertale came close.
These were all games I played at really trying points of my life though, and had subject matter that really resonated with me.

Last edited:

NineLannister

Smash Rookie
NNID
NineLannister
Switch FC
SW 2787 1144 8408
The ending of Ace Attorney Game 3 messed me up, as did the ending of Kingdom Hearts I.

But neither of those came close to what Nier: Automata did to me. There were several points in that game where I had to put down the controller and go have a lie down. Parts of that game are an emotional fustercluck.

cocsinelle

Smash Rookie
NNID
cocsinelle
Switch FC
SW-0710-7463-6135
omg yes i tend to get VERY emotional over videogames :')))
i mean yeah i pretty much had a breakdown after mother 3, not only because it was indeed really really sad in itself, but idk, this game just made me feel so sad overall too because i got really attached to the characters and their stories, that's maybe why it's one of my favourite games ever!
pkmn mystery dungeon blue rescue team got me as well .....
and don't get me started on bravely default because i can talk for hours about how i felt at the end of it lmao

Awez

Smash Rookie
NNID
AwesTube
To anyone who claims to never feel anything from video games, sit down, grab some energy drinks, and play through the entirety of LISA in one night. I love that game to death, but it really ****ed me up haha.

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
I've never cried because of a video game, but the closest is danganronpa V3

Top Bottom