• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has a game ever made you cry?

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I haven't exactly cried playing a video game, but Pokémon X and Y made me come close to that in certain parts.

Especially after beating the Elite Four and hearing Vaniville Town's theme again. ...It made me realize that my journey was over.

That was made worse by the general lack of aftergame content.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Nope. I don't every cry over stuff like that. Personally, I think it's just stupid, but when other people get emotional, I could understand where they're going from if that is the case.

I guess it means that the story is well-written and real. I've seen examples such as Mother 3, Xeno series and Persona 3 strongly mentioned in favor of arguments regarding this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 278362

[ removed ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Twewy

Smash Lord
League of Legends has made me cry on multiple occasions.
I'd cry too if I played League of Legends.

Nah, I'm kidding. On the subject of crying at games though, I cried tears of joy (Hey, it counts.) when that TWEWY teaser site came up and I thought we were getting a sequel. And then we got a phone game.

And then I never got excited for things ever again.

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Other M...

Like I couldn't believe what i just saw/played/wasted my money on. But i guess tears were mostly from the laughter -caused by a the ridiculous writing and downright lazy characters.

Especially the part when Adam just shoots me in the back with an ice beam thing for no reason and Samus is like all hurt for some dumbass reason but he's all like,
'"shhhh shhh. Samus? Samus. You mustn't move, it is my time to be a hero and explode for that one reason. Also remember my brother?? Yeah he ded...bai" Then he goes into the thing and dies super hard and Samus gives the 'thumbs down' thing...yeah i **** my pants laughing/crying. Does that count?

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Fire Emblem Awakening. I hate having to play it with a 3DS that has a broken L button :(

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Super Mario Galaxy
The ending after beating Bowser, where the Lumas sacrificed themselves to stop that black hole and then hearing the crying of the baby ones in the background when Rosalina showed up got me all teary eyed.

The storybook where it was revealed that Rosalina's mother was "sleeping under the tree on a hill" was also heart wrenching.

Fire Emblem Awakening
I actually felt like crying after that one chapter where Chrom's older sister Emmeryn jumped off a cliff to save him from making the worst decision of his life just to save her.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Fire Emblem Awakening
I actually felt like crying after that one chapter where Chrom's older sister Emmeryn jumped off a cliff to save him from making the worst decision of his life just to save her.
I still think that FE: Awakening is one of the happiest modern FE games. In comparison to:

Greil (Ike's father) was overcome by Lehran's Medallion shortly after Ike and Mist were born, and in a blind rage he impaled his wife as she tried to take it back from him. She was successful, and Greil realized what he had done as soon as he calmed down. She forgave him for what he had done (although he never forgave himself) and then dies. After that, he cut some of the tendons in his arms so that he could never wield a sword again, but switched weapons to an axe. Then, in the game's campaign, Greil is challenged by the Black Knight and killed in front of Ike. Ike tried to get his father back to base, but Greil dies in his son's arms.

Also, this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g3qY0GpJB0

Last edited:

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
I'm not easy to make emotional unless I have a personal emotional investment in something, which rules out games and movies... except for Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater. It's such an overall fantastic game I didn't mind getting attatched enough to cry, plus that ending hit me out of FREAKING NOWHERE.

febLey

Smash Cadet
NNID
febLey
No one mentioned Telltales The Walking Dead?
And the most obvious one, Final Fantasy VII.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
And the most obvious one, Final Fantasy VII.
That game came out in America when I was 11 days old. By the time I actually got around to playing it, the plot had been spoiled to death.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Fire Emblem Awakening
That was a big punch in the stomach and, IMO, one of the few moments Chrom is a likable main character. Before that happens, you can feel it in your skin, the absolute fear and terror in Chrom's voice, especially when he screams to his units to lower their weapons. Then after it happens, Chrom and Lissa's reactions... yeah, pretty sad.

Last edited:

sijon

Smash Ace
For me, its the ending credits in Super Mario 64 and the Title Screen in Zelda Ocarina of Time. The music gets to me and all the memories I had as a kid from those games, wishing I could go back.

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
I can't remember what particular Metal Gear Solid game it was, but it was one where you had to rescue this person who ended up having a bomb inside of them and exploding...I remember fondly crying after that.

The Last of Us made me shed a tear, as well. :'(

Twewy

Smash Lord
I can't remember what particular Metal Gear Solid game it was, but it was one where you had to rescue this person who ended up having a bomb inside of them and exploding...I remember fondly crying after that.
There's, like, three like that.

Kritzkrieg

Smash Cadet
Binding of Isaac Rebirth. It wasn't out of sadness, it was out of frustration.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
The Walking Dead season 1 and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons nearly got me to cry until my dad walked into the room and completely broke the immersion and mood both times and had me pause the game. By the time I got back to playing, the feeling was gone for me.

EarthBound got me, though.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Team Fortress 2 made me cry of laughter, because some idiot tried to scam me out of my Unusual.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Team Fortress 2 made me cry of laughter, because some idiot tried to scam me out of my Unusual.
What did he do? Did he want to trade his newly acquired Gibus for your unusual?
But, oh no, it's not any Gibus, it's the best Gibus around! It's a really rare special edition that you have a 1/3.000.000 chance of getting instead of the average boring one once you play the game. It's far more valuable than any unusual!
I know all of this because my dad works at Team Fortress, and he manipulated the staff to give me the hat, so you better watch out, he might blast your account into space!

Twewy

Smash Lord
What did he do? Did he want to trade his newly acquired Gibus for your unusual?
But, oh no, it's not any Gibus, it's the best Gibus around! It's a really rare special edition that you have a 1/3.000.000 chance of getting instead of the average boring one once you play the game. It's far more valuable than any unusual!
I know all of this because my dad works at Team Fortress, and he manipulated the staff to give me the hat, so you better watch out, he might blast your account into space!
Better, he wanted to see it and make sure it wasn't "Glitched" before giving me my keys.

I'm still wiping away the tears.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Wait, so not only did he try the most obvious way of scamming someone, he wanted to trade your unusual for keys?

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Pokemon Blue Mystery Dungeon - at the end.

Mother 3 - not at the end. At the beginning, when
Flint learns about Hinawa's death.

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
In playing a game with story, I haven't cried at one yet, but with people saying they cryed from Undertale, I'll probably cry.
As with games without story, particularly multiplayer games & difficult games, I've had my fair share of fits (mainly as a child) when I couldn't win anything.

Mordra

Smash Rookie
the ending of Transistor had me in tears. I think that's the only one....

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
  • Super Mario Galaxy's credits theme always makes me tear up because of how beautiful it is
  • The ending of TellTale's The Walking Dead Season 1 made me sort of cry even though I already knew what would happen
  • The "stay in Wellington" ending of Season 2 of TWD also made be tear up a bit
  • The final boss to Mother 3 which is pretty self-explanatory

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
PMD Sky and recently Undertale

So heartbreaking...I never really get emotional over other games..

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
Killing Muffet. The little spider placing a flower had me in tears.
Flowey Killing Agore. I was crying out of anger.
Comforting Asriel.
In the end of Genocide I ended up crying after I killed Flowey, he seemed so helpless and desperate that I liked him all of a sudden.

The hatchling dying. I was crying out of anger too. MB's screams of pain eased my anger up a bit.

When Aerith died.

Killing Lee. OMFG KILLING LEE. I WAS BAWLING AFTER THAT SCENE.

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
I literally just barely started Fire Emblem Fates and I'm already crying
NOOO MOMMY D:

Last edited:

Geek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeektheMeek
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile's ending has always made me bawl whenever I see it. I still get chills whenever I see it. A very underrated game with a great soundtrack, too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

One did, or at least brought me pretty close. It's a short game called "To The Moon", and it's really more of an interactive story than a game. Anyways, some guy on Steam just gifted it to me for no reason and I played through it. The total game probably took 4ish hours to complete but it was suuuper emotional. The story and writing were really creative and well done. It's a very easy game to complete but it's mainly for the story.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Undertale is the only game that has ever had enough of an effect on me to make me tear up. Super Mario Galaxy came pretty close, though.

I also see people talking about Telltale's TWD games. I recently started playing the first one of those, so we'll see if that one makes a significant emotional impact on me once I finish it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom