• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has a game ever made you cry?

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure there are plenty of people can name a book, movie, or drama that made them cry, but has playing a video-game ever triggered a serious emotional response in you?

Please make use of spoiler tags if your example has to do with story elements, and remember to pass around some thumbs-up if you can relate with someone else's experience.

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
Only once and it was when I was playing Mother 3.

It was during the final boss fight with Claus, specifically when Hinawa told him to come to her.

Last edited:

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
I'm quite emotional, so crying almost comes as a second nature to me... :crying:

But with video games, I only distinctively recall two instances where I was genuinely moved to tears:
1. When I killed Toriel since I didn't know she could be spared... :cry:
2. When Naru dies... in the very first few minutes... :cry:

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Olimar and President leaving the Pikmin Planet

The fate of Giygas between Mother 1 and Mother 2

Everyone's prayer during the Giygas battle

Hinawa's death in the end of chapter 1

The monkey being tormented repeated by Fassad in Chapter 3

The final battle against the Masked Man (aka Claus) and the ending

Leaving the Ruins and saying goodbye to Toriel

The reasons why Asgore took the human souls and want to kill Frisk. Also what happen to Asgore after he was defeated

The backstory between Chara and Asriel and how they got killed

The battle against Asriel

The ending where everyone was happy and enjoying their life while Asriel is all alone and can't be saved

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
The endings to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team and Explorers games gave me the feels.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I cried when I played Sonic Boom, though not for the reason you might think.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Fire Emblem 2003

Who honestly likes resetting at least 3 times per battle after watching your units get rekt? :(

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
Xenoblade Chronicles

Pokemon X and Y

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Undertale

That's it.

Deku-Scrub

Smash Rookie
NNID
DrRek
Metal Gear Solid for the PS1... the sniper hallway where you have to leave Meryl behind... *tears*
And The Last of Us: Opening Scene... Jesus...

finalark

SNORLAX
Eh, not really. Home hitting themes and concepts might make me feel some real emotions but I tend to keep reality and fiction really separate.

D

Deleted member

Sonic Generation's credits made me cry. Seeing almost all my childhood memories compiled all there really hit home for me, and the "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SONIC!" cheer just really sold it.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, after
Maya dies during a witch trial.
which is later revealed to have been an illusion
The actual event stirred a bit of moisture, but it was Phoenix lamenting his loss at a pub later, with this song in the background, that really got to me.

There was another one, but for some reason I don't remember what it was right now ;-;

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Mother 1... Those frequent random enemy encounters
Ninten singing the eight melodies, queen Mary remembering, Magicant being no more.

Also Ana and Ninten special moment

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
The short answer is no.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time almost did though.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
3 times:

Dark Cloud 2, when Monica comes back to during the epilogue chapter. I had missed her and thought she was never gonna come back and when I saw her, as she was my first video game character crush I'll admit, I was so overjoyed I burst into tears.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Darkness when **** with Dusknoir hit the fan and your characters find out that Grovyle isn't the bad guy, everything was just so much to take in that I bawled.

And Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, during the ending when Flonne is turned into a flower. Flonne is my favorite character in the series and when she was turned into a flower I was as pissed as Laharl was I nearly ****ing raged when I cried.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
the onlyame tha made me cru ironically was a smash game. I was 12 years old when I first played Melee and trying to fight Giga Bowser, do most of the events and the 51st one I was having so much of a hard time that I just cried. Now, I know most of melee off of the bck of my hand...still can't beat Allstar mode on the hardest difficulty

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
A video game haven't made me cry, but I've experienced sad feelings.

I believe that we are far away from getting video games that are on the same emotional level as some films.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
If you're talking out of sadness... Well, that might sound stupid, but Modern Warfare 3's mission Blood Brothers made me tear up a bit. I think that was mostly thanks to disappointment that the spoiler I heard for the game was indeed real, though. To this day, I hate spoilers, and that mission has a lot to do with it.
Also I cried at the end of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs because I was bloody 7 at the time.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
PMD1 and PMD2
Fire Emblem Awakening
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

There might be more, but that's what I have from the top of my head.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
I can admit to sobbing like a baby for a good few minutes, from Elite Beat Agents "A Christmas Wish".

The combination of music and feels can hit pretty darn hard at times. And it always hits harder when you're not expecting it.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
I cry every time I beat Metal Gear Solid 3. The ending always gets me for some reason. I also teared up at the ending of Walking Dead Season 1.

kingofconeyisland

Smash Rookie
NNID
coneyislandking
The Last of Us, Earthbound, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 1 & 2, Kingdom Hearts 1, 358/2 days, I'm pretty emotional lol

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I cried at Gamma's ending in SA2 and Scarlette's letter (not The Scarlet Letter; that book is horrible) in TTYD, but haven't cried about a game since I was about 7.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I cried at Gamma's ending in SA2 and Scarlette's letter (not The Scarlet Letter; that book is horrible) in TTYD, but haven't cried about a game since I was about 7.
Oh yeah, those! How about at the end of TTYD? With the We Believe In You, Mario! soundtrack? That one really got me.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Oh yeah, those! How about at the end of TTYD? With the We Believe In You, Mario! soundtrack? That one really got me.
To be honest, the whole Bobbery storyline got me more emotional than the ending. I was expecting that he didn't want to go to sea anymore because he was retired, rejecting every notion that he was the famous sailor. Instead, my 7-year-old self got a story of a man whose wife died of illness when he was out at sea and he's been beating himself up over it since he found out. When you give him his love's last letter years after the incident, he reads this out:
Scarlette said:
My love, if you are reading this letter, then I am no longer by your side. Because fate has stepped between us, I have decided to write you this letter. If you're reading this, I must have passed away while you were out to sea... I can only assume that you will blame yourself for it, my sweet Bobbery. Although my life was short, you gave me more than a lifetime's worth of joy. Though you will mourn, I beg that you remember that time, like love, is a tide. You are one with the sea, as you were one with me. Do not lose both your life's loves.
He then says in response to the letter "Time, like love, is a tide. You are one with the sea... as you were one with me..." and asks to be excused. The reality of this situation hit my 7-year-old self like a ton if bricks, who was expecting happy Saturday-morning gaming time with Paper Mario.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
The Last of Us -
The opening cinematic, not even an hour in....

Silent Hill 2 -
The ending blew my mind, it was so heart-wrenching thinking about all the hints and clues throughout the game that come together perfectly at the end. Really messed with my mind for a while, no other game has yet to reach that level of brilliance for me.

Chrono Cross

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Now that I think about it, Super Paper Mario actually made me a little misty-eyed twice.
The first time was the ending. Timpani and Blumiere getting back together in the Overthere, Timpani/Tippi disappearing, the world being saved, Nastasia weeping over Blumiere's death, the game ending, all that emotional stuff.
The second time was from dying on floor 90 of the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I swear Undertale just grabs onto your heart and just does not let go sometimes.

Satonakas

Smash Cadet
NNID
itsiantime
3DS FC
1693-3665-7953
Surprisingly I have never cried from a video game.... The closest I can remember was Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, when I messed up at the end

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
I getting older so it didn't happen for quite some time. But Link's awakening and Secret of Mana endings made me cry back in the days. FFX was close but mainly because it was linked to a former gf and I was still in emotional crisis over her.

Shiida

Smash Apprentice
skyward sword but it was like right after my parents divorced so i was a little moody at the time LOL

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I'm a 90s man so I cry when I need to.

Undertale
The final Asriel battle, particularly the "comfort him" option afterwards.

Fire Emblem Awakening
Robin's final sacrifice to destroy Grima. All your allies tearfully saying goodbye, especially your spouse and children T_T

Dragon Age
All 3 games have a lot of moments. Some stand outs are the end stages of Morrigan's romance in the first one, a befriended/romanced Isabela returning to help Hawke in the second chapter of the second one, and Blackwall's character arc in Inquisition

There are more, but those are the ones I can think of right now. I am very emotional at all times

Last edited:
Top Bottom