• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardest MUs?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Wolf in smash ultimate has almost everything he needs to overcome every single matchup in the game. Emphasis on *almost*...He obviously still has some losing matchup even though he is a top tier pick. Which ones do you find to be his worst?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Pikachu and Pichu are like -2 for Wolf. Their small size, high speed, and stupid priority suck for Wolf. That and offstage thunder jolt can mean a trip to gimp city or a trap into literally any aerial they want. I think the best thing we have is the ability to reflect Thunder down at them, which can make them nervous about throwing it out too liberally. Pikachu is probably worse tbh - with Pichu you can usually bait him into hurting himself and with a few hits from Wolf, he’s already in kill percent.

I still think Marth/Lucina are kind of rough. I’ve been playing a good Marth player nonstop this past month and have gotten pretty good at the matchup now, but it’s still kind of rough. Laser will frustrate him more than anything and can bait them into jumping over it unsafely.

Now I don’t know if these are just me, or not. But I have a rough time with Ness and Lucas. Ness more than any of them. He can force approaches from Wolf and has a scary answer for a risky approach at 100+% with his bthrow killing literally anywhere on most stages. Lucas has most of what Ness has and can generally get free edgeguards on non-pillar stages. Luckily for both of them, their recoveries are a bit exploitable. And Dthrow to Flash are effective against them because of their big heads always popping up.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Seconding the above thoughts overall, if not in difficulty at least in annoyance. I'd add Pit in as well, his juggling and offstage game are pretty effective vs Wolf.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Pikachu and Pichu are like -2 for Wolf. Their small size, high speed, and stupid priority suck for Wolf. That and offstage thunder jolt can mean a trip to gimp city or a trap into literally any aerial they want. I think the best thing we have is the ability to reflect Thunder down at them, which can make them nervous about throwing it out too liberally. Pikachu is probably worse tbh - with Pichu you can usually bait him into hurting himself and with a few hits from Wolf, he’s already in kill percent.

I still think Marth/Lucina are kind of rough. I’ve been playing a good Marth player nonstop this past month and have gotten pretty good at the matchup now, but it’s still kind of rough. Laser will frustrate him more than anything and can bait them into jumping over it unsafely.

Now I don’t know if these are just me, or not. But I have a rough time with Ness and Lucas. Ness more than any of them. He can force approaches from Wolf and has a scary answer for a risky approach at 100+% with his bthrow killing literally anywhere on most stages. Lucas has most of what Ness has and can generally get free edgeguards on non-pillar stages. Luckily for both of them, their recoveries are a bit exploitable. And Dthrow to Flash are effective against them because of their big heads always popping up.
Ok as a Ness player, Wolf is scary to Ness too. Yeah Ness can punish Wolf for overextending and potentially take a stock with strings and aerials and PKT, but Wolf is one of the few characters who can match up with Ness in the air

Be aware not to get your landings caught with PK Fire and don’t spam blaster because that’s gonna just heal Ness (although you can successfully edgegurad with him occasionally). Don’t let the Ness player dictate the pace of the match and make them come to you. And definitely don’t let Ness get you in the air because PKT and Uairs will probably kill you. If they’re dictating the pace of the match they already won. However if Wolf is dictating the pace of the match Ness has a very hard time going in. It’s actually a really interesting matchup for me that as a Ness player I’ve had mixed results with. I’d honestly put the match at about even and mostly a skill based matchup. What may win Ness the matchup is his advantage at higher percents and plethora of kills options whereas Wolf has trouble killing at those percents

Last edited:

Up0n

Smash Cadet
are like -2 for Wolf. Their small size, high speed, and stupid priority suck for Wolf. That and offstage thunder jolt can mean a trip to gimp city or a trap into literally any aerial they want. I think the best thing we have is the ability to reflect Thunder down at them, which can make them nervous about throwing it out too liberally. Pikachu is probably worse tbh - with Pichu you can usually bait him into hurting himself and with a few hits from Wolf, he’s already in kill percent.

Now I don’t know if these are just me, or not. But I have a rough
I definitely agree with this; I will say out of all the Fire Emblem characters Roy/Lucina are the hardest for me to overcome. Idk if it's just me as well but I do often have some trouble with Fox just based off his increased speed.

Lt. Sykes

Smash Rookie
Toughest for me so far: ROB, Ness, Donkey Kong, Mii Sword fighter, Pichu

Need more experience but not looking good so far for me either: Bowser Jr, Little Mac, Fox, Greninja

It’s weird because I think Wolf does better than Fox overall in the game, but I think Fox is strong against Wolf in particular. Like Wolf is better than the other spacies against a majority of the cast, but Fox and Falco seem well equipped to deal with Wolf.

I struggle real hard against Ness and Rob in particular. Rob seems to own neutral, and both Rob and Ness delete Wolfs recovery completely. Ness’s aerials out match Wolfs quite a bit. A good Ness player if he gets Wolf offstage seem to abuse PK thunder to the point of just absolute destruction no matter which of your limited options you try to go with. Donkey Kong you really have to be a master of teching and avoiding being grabbed or else it’s very difficult.

I haven’t had the trouble against Fire Emblem characters online such as Lucina and Roy, but I have no experience with them in person either in friendlies or tournament sets to really say much about them. I played one guy who counter picked Roy after I won the first game against his Samus, and while he killed me very early (Roy’s major advantage in the MU imo), I was still able to dictate the pace of the game and ultimately came out on top.

So far though I’d definitely say I’ve struggled mightily in online smash (elite and not), and in person at tournaments for friendlies and sets against Rob and Ness specifically. I’m not a smash expert or particularly great player tho so take it with a grain of salt lol

BaileyMT

Smash Rookie
I just got back from a local and I gotta say, fighting Pichu and Palutena are not fun. Marcina is hard, but at least that's doable. Pichu and Palutena are both exercises of patience and cruelty. **** whoever decided to have that demon rat from hell have that ftilt

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Toughest for me so far: ROB, Ness, Donkey Kong, Mii Sword fighter, Pichu

Need more experience but not looking good so far for me either: Bowser Jr, Little Mac, Fox, Greninja

It’s weird because I think Wolf does better than Fox overall in the game, but I think Fox is strong against Wolf in particular. Like Wolf is better than the other spacies against a majority of the cast, but Fox and Falco seem well equipped to deal with Wolf.

I struggle real hard against Ness and Rob in particular. Rob seems to own neutral, and both Rob and Ness delete Wolfs recovery completely. Ness’s aerials out match Wolfs quite a bit. A good Ness player if he gets Wolf offstage seem to abuse PK thunder to the point of just absolute destruction no matter which of your limited options you try to go with. Donkey Kong you really have to be a master of teching and avoiding being grabbed or else it’s very difficult.

I haven’t had the trouble against Fire Emblem characters online such as Lucina and Roy, but I have no experience with them in person either in friendlies or tournament sets to really say much about them. I played one guy who counter picked Roy after I won the first game against his Samus, and while he killed me very early (Roy’s major advantage in the MU imo), I was still able to dictate the pace of the game and ultimately came out on top.

So far though I’d definitely say I’ve struggled mightily in online smash (elite and not), and in person at tournaments for friendlies and sets against Rob and Ness specifically. I’m not a smash expert or particularly great player tho so take it with a grain of salt lol
I play Ness and dabble with Wolf and I gave some Ness advice from my point of view up a couple posts. I actually think Ness and Wolf are somewhat similar characters expect one is a fast faller and one’s a floaty. They have very similar strengths and weaknesses which is why they’re both doing so well right now. It’s a tough matchup for both sides I think, and PK Thunder and more kill options might tip it in Ness’s favor but there are ways to play it as Wolf

Top Bottom