• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hard to find people to practice with/hard to progress

NoxiousRose

Smash Rookie
I have truly been trying to improve at ultimate for the past months. But no matter how much i use quick play or even play people if i'm lucky enough to find them in discord servers, i've noticed one thing: Getting steady practice and finding people to play with CONSISTENTLY is something i have never been able to do. I have been to countless discord servers, i have tried Smash Amino, The one thing i haven't tried yet is Smash Boards, but my hopes are somewhat low. Does anyone know how i can find consistent practice with people? It seems so damn difficult for a game this popular that i legitimately cannot find matches with people. (if you wan't to play me or discuss smash in general, my discord is Rose#6400)

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
Discord and Amino hasn't been working out for ya? Damn, that sucks. I'll add you on discord and we could play later, if you're up for it. Been looking for someone to practice with too.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I have truly been trying to improve at ultimate for the past months. But no matter how much i use quick play or even play people if i'm lucky enough to find them in discord servers, i've noticed one thing: Getting steady practice and finding people to play with CONSISTENTLY is something i have never been able to do. I have been to countless discord servers, i have tried Smash Amino, The one thing i haven't tried yet is Smash Boards, but my hopes are somewhat low. Does anyone know how i can find consistent practice with people? It seems so damn difficult for a game this popular that i legitimately cannot find matches with people. (if you wan't to play me or discuss smash in general, my discord is Rose#6400)
I take it you've been in Public Arenas all day. I know the feeling as well. I'll go to matchmaking, look for anyone to play, and tell them to tag me. The place is deader than Thanatos. If you find a place where people are on from morning to midnight, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, Elite Smash is the only good place to play. Public Arenas is all right, but you never know if you're playing someone at your skill level until you play that person.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Depending on where you're located, I might be willing to practice with you. I'm always looking for practice partners who play different characters, as long as lag is super minimal. I don't really have anyone who plays Roy.

Last edited:

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
How in the world can you not find people to play on quickplay? I get 1v1 24/7. Quickplay is the best way to practice.playing online helps you become a better winner in smash. It has done for me at least. Play quickplay. Problem solved.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
How in the world can you not find people to play on quickplay? I get 1v1 24/7. Quickplay is the best way to practice.playing online helps you become a better winner in smash. It has done for me at least. Play quickplay. Problem solved.
Quickplay is definitely not the best way to practice. You find a bunch of toxic people, lag, and you can't change your character so you leave after the first match

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
People never rematch in quickplay. Learning to adapt makes you a better player, and adaptation becomes most consistent after game 1 ends. If no one wants a rematch, then you can only rely on midmatch adaptation (which doesn't always work unless they are on full autopilot) and speculation on what you'd have done differently in game 2.

Last edited:

J.I.L

Quickplay is definitely not the best way to practice. You find a bunch of toxic people, lag, and you can't change your character so you leave after the first match
I usually don’t have that much of any noticeable player. Toxic players
People never rematch in quickplay. Learning to adapt makes you a better player, and adaptation becomes most consistent after game 1 ends. If no one wants a rematch, then you can only rely on midmatch adaptation (which doesn't always work unless they are on full autopilot) and speculation on what you'd have done differently in game 2.
You're basically focusing on the subkect of learning how to adapt... which is fine. But there's more, far more to getting better, then learning the moves of one user. Getting better means you beat more and more players. So quickplay does work. I wouldn't be where i'm at if it wasnt for the gruesome competitive tough battle in for glory hell... and now with ultimate. I'm always getting challenged with good players in elite smash. Quickply is good for comeptitive practice.
ShadowTheHedgehogZ ShadowTheHedgehogZ My dude, the only thing that's really toxic is LOSING. Idc who it is. So you miss me with that toxic players.... if the guy wants to get better, he needs to grow thick skin..which is dealing with tea bagging online against good players. In smash 4, I dislike people who left after 1st match, in ultimate it's differnt. Got to adapt and get used to it. Besides you have BA if you want to play people mutlple times. Raid fire of new characters on quickplayer does have its benefit.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
You're basically focusing on the subkect of learning how to adapt... which is fine. But there's more, far more to getting better, then learning the moves of one user. Getting better means you beat more and more players. So quickplay does work. I wouldn't be where i'm at if it wasnt for the gruesome competitive tough battle in for glory hell... and now with ultimate. I'm always getting challenged with good players in elite smash. Quickply is good for comeptitive practice.
ShadowTheHedgehogZ ShadowTheHedgehogZ My dude, the only thing that's really toxic is LOSING. Idc who it is. So you miss me with that toxic players.... if the guy wants to get better, he needs to grow thick skin..which is dealing with tea bagging online against good players. In smash 4, I dislike people who left after 1st match, in ultimate it's differnt. Got to adapt and get used to it. Besides you have BA if you want to play people mutlple times. Raid fire of new characters on quickplayer does have its benefit.
Yeah spamming isn't toxic at all or running off the stage and throwing someone at the stage so it stage spikes you. I don't have a problem with losing it's just how they won which is the problem

J.I.L

Yeah spamming isn't toxic at all or running off the stage and throwing someone at the stage so it stage spikes you. I don't have a problem with losing it's just how they won which is the problem
How do you think you're going to get better in this game if you get discouraged or bent out f shape and lose to spamming? And people throwing yu off ledge (donkey kong). First of all, that's yur fault for not knowing how to tech (don't worry, I don't know how to either) and you think people wouldn't do that to you in a tourney if they knew?
And yoou shuld have a problem with loosing. No matter who or how it was bye. The goal of the game is too win, not arbratraily and incaclubly "feel" like you are getting better, I get better when I win more games against better and better players. And you do tht by contantly facing players so as the good man, sean habitually preaches, that you may learn from your mistakes. Persoanally, I learn to devolpe "contigency plans" (game plans) against characters I face. So game plans so I can be better prepared when going up against the chracter, regardless of whaat user is using him.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
How do you think you're going to get better in this game if you get discouraged or bent out f shape and lose to spamming? And people throwing yu off ledge (donkey kong). First of all, that's yur fault for not knowing how to tech (don't worry, I don't know how to either) and you think people wouldn't do that to you in a tourney if they knew?
And yoou shuld have a problem with loosing. No matter who or how it was bye. The goal of the game is too win, not arbratraily and incaclubly "feel" like you are getting better, I get better when I win more games against better and better players. And you do tht by contantly facing players so as the good man, sean habitually preaches, that you may learn from your mistakes. Persoanally, I learn to devolpe "contigency plans" (game plans) against characters I face. So game plans so I can be better prepared when going up against the chracter, regardless of whaat user is using him.
The problem is I don't find good players and I usually play characters that don't have projectiles so I have to get in there. I can tech but when it lags constantly it makes me tech and then air dodge or something else completely

Yung Nikey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5399-5236-5207
Do you have any locals in your area? irl friends that play? offline play is miles better than any amount of practice you do online

J.I.L

The problem is I don't find good players and I usually play characters that don't have projectiles so I have to get in there. I can tech but when it lags constantly it makes me tech and then air dodge or something else completely
If you can’t find “good players” that means you are stomping everyone you see in quickplay therefore your gsp should reflect that... which I doubt. And I doubt getting gimped under the stage happens a lot in your match. I don’t know how to tech and gimping isn’t a huge issue for me

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
If you can’t find “good players” that means you are stomping everyone you see in quickplay therefore your gsp should reflect that... which I doubt. And I doubt getting gimped under the stage happens a lot in your match. I don’t know how to tech and gimping isn’t a huge issue for me
Obviously you aren't listening to me so listen to the best Smash 4 player
https://youtu.be/U6RlZEHBlP4

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Learning to adapt is a keystone of improving. Becoming seasoned enough to get to that point requires learning different playstyles to the point in which you can quickly decipher how someone plays, then adapt your own play throughout a set so they have more trouble adapting to you than you to them. Blindsiding your opponent in game 1 then leaving does not necessarily make you the better player. And a majority of quickplay players leave after game 1. Being able to make quick changes to your playstyle based on how your opponent normally reacts will net you long term wins, which, again, grows when you play more people multiple times and allow them to try and adapt to you as well.

Not rematching people, whether it be online or offline, builds your foundation on toothpicks rather than brick and mortar. That's why there are so many people who get upset when they regularly beat "good players", but can't beat the cannon spamming K Rools on Wifi, because they don't know how to change their play to deal with the spamming K Rool. They know how to fight people who try to mix up their style depending on the situation, but can't grasp the bare bones play of beating a newbie.

J.I.L

Learning to adapt is a keystone of improving. Becoming seasoned enough to get to that point requires learning different playstyles to the point in which you can quickly decipher how someone plays, then adapt your own play throughout a set so they have more trouble adapting to you than you to them. Blindsiding your opponent in game 1 then leaving does not necessarily make you the better player. And a majority of quickplay players leave after game 1. Being able to make quick changes to your playstyle based on how your opponent normally reacts will net you long term wins, which, again, grows when you play more people multiple times and allow them to try and adapt to you as well.

Not rematching people, whether it be online or offline, builds your foundation on toothpicks rather than brick and mortar. That's why there are so many people who get upset when they regularly beat "good players", but can't beat the cannon spamming K Rools on Wifi, because they don't know how to change their play to deal with the spamming K Rool. They know how to fight people who try to mix up their style depending on the situation, but can't grasp the bare bones play of beating a newbie.
Those people don’t apply to me because I can crush a noob. Online or offline

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Okay, cool. but we're not talking about you specifically. Look around the forums a bit, you'll see what I mean. A lot of people who say they can beat better players but suck against spammers and campers.

J.I.L

Okay, cool. but we're not talking about you specifically. Look around the forums a bit, you'll see what I mean. A lot of people who say they can beat better players but suck against spammers and campers.
You also have to take into account match ups. Maybe they can beat good brawlers but not decent projectile users

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
Getting better means you beat more and more players.
My dude, the only thing that's really toxic is LOSING.
You are going into this with the completely wrong mindset. You learn much more by losing and rewatching your matches to figure out where you went wrong than you do by winning. Winning has the benefit of certifying that you have gained some competency, but it also gives a false impression of great skill if you continue to win against players who either are low-skilled or weren’t prepared to fight your playstyle in the one quickplay match you gave them.

And the act of losing may make you feel toxic, but it is not toxic by itself. More than anything, being an unsportsmanlike winner (taunting and other disrespectful behaviour) is toxic to both — to the loser because he will likely be upset by the conduct and maybe not even want to play anymore, and to the winner, because it builds up a flimsy ego that is easily shattered by losing.

Bottom line: Losing is learning and no one likes someone who’s a bad sport.

Last edited:
Top Bottom