• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hanzo Academy's Star Student: Asuka for Super Smash Bros Switch (Mai Is Down, What Does That Mean For Asuka?)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hey guys, been a while hasn't it. And I've decided to skip out on PBS since the community died after few months. For something many hyped as the "Splatoon Killer", it was never one to begin with and more of a fun spinoff title that sets the stage for the climax of the series.

Yes, this is not a joke. 7EVEN is confirmed to be likely the conclusion of the main story as a whole. Honestly, its for the best they are doing this since the whole "two different timelines" approach was a mistake and only made things confusing for all players. The same article confirming that most people started with Shinovi Versus confirmed exactly what we all know, the Versus games were always more popular than the Nintendo handheld ones. Hence that also explains why Renewal Burst is a thing and Renewal Deep Crimson for the PS4 is already in mind for the future.

If them making self contained side stories after the canon ending in 7EVEN is for the best, so be it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/2...rimson/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I'm pretty sure the "Splatoon killer" stuff was just a joke. Takaki said he has no interest in making a competitive game (which is a shame since I think the series lends itself well to that sort of thing).

But I think PBS will likely have a more thriving community on PC.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm pretty sure the "Splatoon killer" stuff was just a joke. Takaki said he has no interest in making a competitive game (which is a shame since I think the series lends itself well to that sort of thing).

But I think PBS will likely have a more thriving community on PC.
Yeah, you may be right. It was probably a joke than anything serious. And yeah, it would have been nice to at least have a more serious community for these types of games, but oh well.

Agreed. PC will at least see far more sales and players in comparison to the initial release. Was similar with Estival, Shinovi, and Bon Appetit.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So how did you guys feel about Nepu in PBS?
It was expected, the Neptunia games are pretty semi-popular.

So it could be nice fanservice for fans of those games. Thankfully she's not playable in the mains series since she is OP from what heard. I'm not that knowledgeable in the verse to know how strong she is.

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
So it could be nice fanservice for fans of those games. Thankfully she's not playable in the mains series since she is OP from what heard. I'm not that knowledgeable in the verse to know how strong she is.
Didn't stop Kagura.
Besides in her base form she's no different than all the other girls durability wise. And in her transformed state, while strong in it's own right, it's mainly dependent on the shares of her people so if she in an SK title, she would have to get shares from another source therefore nerfing her.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So how did you guys feel about Nepu in PBS?
A friend of mines who was Nep fan was hyped. I never played the games, but more characters is good. Still makes me tempted to buy PBS.

It was expected, the Neptunia games are pretty semi-popular.

Me neither. I need to play a Nep game one day.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So I log in on Twitter and I notice something, loads and loads of Senran Kagura fans are rallying for Asuka as a Smash newcomer. Most notably a certain fan.

They are confident because of Shinobi Refle's Japanese success or are fighting a long impossible battle. Either way, at least we aren't really alone.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So I log in on Twitter and I notice something, loads and loads of Senran Kagura fans are rallying for Asuka as a Smash newcomer. Most notably a certain fan.

They are confident because of Shinobi Refle's Japanese success or are fighting a long impossible battle. Either way, at least we aren't really alone.
Got to love the Senran fanbase, always loud and showing support for their girls even the Yumi fans.

Always, I still don't see this as anything too big (and I doubt anyone should make a boob joke). Just a matter of seeing where this will go.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Thanks. And I guess threads are once again for individual characters rather than series.
Yeah, hence why you see Asuka than any other Senran.

She would be the likeliest IF they don't want to promote Yumi instead.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Guess what game is coming to the West.

I wonder if it will far well in the West. And I am STILL waiting for a traditional Senran Kagura game to get a Switch release. Port or new game. They can't cling on to the PS4 forever.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
In due time, in due time we may get something that isn't a spinoff on the Switch. Either way, I look forward to getting Reflexions so much.

Anyways, I would like to discuss more about Asuka's potential as a fighter. Well other than dual welding, I'd say she should at least have the Aerial Raves as a way for good combo air game.

But hopefully not in the way she will be TOO broken like Bayonetta (as much as I like playing as her).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So word on the Internet is a certain famous competitive Smasher is streaming Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash now. Yes, I am talking about the same ZeRo.

How much you beat this will make more people unironically want a Senran Kagura character for Smash?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So word on the Internet is a certain famous competitive Smasher is streaming Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash now. Yes, I am talking about the same ZeRo.

How much you beat this will make more people unironically want a Senran Kagura character for Smash?
Now I think I have to go to his channel and see for myself for research.

Though yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock into it. The only way that would happen is if Sakurai is a closet fan himself, which isn't very likely.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Asuka finally makes her fighting game debut in a game that's not Smash.

Or more like her and Yumi have actual character announcer voice clips in the game's files.

Who would had though Senran Kagura would appear in a major fighting game? Sure there was Homura in NitroBlasterZ, but that is more niche in comparison.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, uh, apparently Marvelous is helping in development in the new Smash. Think we can take this as a sign?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. The trademarks I found were mentioning all the games shown in the Direct. Whoops. :p

Last edited:

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Asuka might a very interesting character to play as i might even main her so yeah she has my support.

By the way my top 5 Senrans are:
1.Asuka
2.Yomi
3.Yumi
4.Hibari
5.Ryona

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Who here plans to get Reflexions on the Switch? I know I will get it and all Dlc when it gets to the West.

Also, I will place this in the OP.

Asuka might a very interesting character to play as i might even main her so yeah she has my support.

By the way my top 5 Senrans are:
1.Asuka
2.Yomi
3.Yumi
4.Hibari
5.Ryona
Adding to the OP. Welcome

And nice choice in Senrans too. Especially Ryona.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That's not weird is it? I sometimes feel like it.
Nope, it's not weird at all.

It's refreshing to see someone positive about Senran Kagura than going "Eeeewwww fanservice". Most of that make my own eyes roll.

Glad you are all aboard the Asuka hype train.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's refreshing to see someone positive about Senran Kagura than going "Eeeewwww fanservice". Most of that make my own eyes roll.
The Senran Kagura games are genuinely fun (if you like the genres they cover). The fanservice is just a "bonus". :laugh:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The Senran Kagura games are genuinely fun (if you like the genres they cover). The fanservice is just a "bonus". :laugh:
Indeed, the games really are fun.

I am looking forward to 7EVEN, the models look like a massive improvement from Estival and the other PS games.

On the Switch side, Peach Pinball looks to be a harmless spinoff that could satisfy that pinball fix. Haven't played one in a long time.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey guys, I have big news!

Not only Senran Kagura Reflexions came out on the eShop today, but you should see SourceGaming's review on it. It's too ****ing funny now.

And after it's gotten 50 retweets, he will make a Rate That Character video on Asuka. Sure a 1% score is expected, but the sheer fact Push will make the video is funny enough on it's own.

Why am I speaking in bold? I don't know, this is too big of news to NOT share.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wow, she's cute!

I support!
I know right? Added to the list.

She's far from really being my Number #1 (That would be Kat), but she sure is great. Reflexions only made me appreciate Asuka more.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Since I am leaving Smashboards, might as well say anyone who's a big SK fan and love Asuka take over if they want too.

I'll be heading out.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This may be slow news, but most of you know that Takaki has left Marvelous studios to work with Cygames. Mostly due to outrage at Sony's content regulations as of late.

The series will still go strong, he will still try and get 7EVEN finished either way. So that's a relief.

But the real question is, what platforms the series will be on after he fully cut ties with Sony? Some say the series could go back to Nintendo again easily, since the series started there. If this means we can FINALLY get a mainline game and less of these spinoffs like Peach Ball, that is just fine.

Deleted User

Smash Rookie
Count me in as a supporter. Asuka would be an excelllent addition to the Smash roster.

Also, I'm aware that some people might view Senran Kagura as "too mature" to have a rep in Smash due to one of the franchise's game mechanics being that the characters start to gradually lose their clothes as they take damage, but I think there shouldn't be much of an issue with Nintendo removing that feature from Asuka if she were to get in. In other words, she could very easily be toned down to fit into the game without losing her character.

However, with that being said, I fear that if she got in, there would be a massive outcry from the Smash community, as they, along with nearly everyone, seem to subscribe to this "anti-weeb" mentality and hate anything that has an anime art-style. One can look no further than to see the community's disdain on the amount of characters from Fire Emblem who are part of the roster to know that is true.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Count me in as a supporter. Asuka would be an excelllent addition to the Smash roster.

Also, I'm aware that some people might view Senran Kagura as "too mature" to have a rep in Smash due to one of the franchise's game mechanics being that the characters start to gradually lose their clothes as they take damage, but I think there shouldn't be much of an issue with Nintendo removing that feature from Asuka if she were to get in. In other words, she could very easily be toned down to fit into the game without losing her character.

However, with that being said, I fear that if she got in, there would be a massive outcry from the Smash community, as they, along with nearly everyone, seem to subscribe to this "anti-weeb" mentality and hate anything that has an anime art-style. One can look no further than to see the community's disdain on the amount of characters from Fire Emblem who are part of the roster to know that is true.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. The bigger issue is more or less that usually only big third parties are picked.

Asuka is notable, but only to a niche crowd instead of being as notable as faces like Banjo or Lloyd. The series took many years to sell over 2 million copies after all.

And you are right, toning down is very possible. I am not expecting things like Frantic Mode for obvious reasons and there is no way we will get jiggle physics for more than just belly and elastic bodies like Kirby. So it's all possible.

Lack of vocal fandom also hurts. Like only few people really made a buzz for Asuka when Shinobi Reflexions and Peach Ball were confirmed. So maybe if the Senran fans get louder, it could happen.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Horray , this topic lives, I’m happy to have a new supporter too. I’ll add you to the list.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The bigger issue is more or less that usually only big third parties are picked.

Asuka is notable, but only to a niche crowd instead of being as notable as faces like Banjo or Lloyd. The series took many years to sell over 2 million copies after all.

And you are right, toning down is very possible. I am not expecting things like Frantic Mode for obvious reasons and there is no way we will get jiggle physics for more than just belly and elastic bodies like Kirby. So it's all possible.

Lack of vocal fandom also hurts. Like only few people really made a buzz for Asuka when Shinobi Reflexions and Peach Ball were confirmed. So maybe if the Senran fans get louder, it could happen.
All of this is true. She has to compete with MANY third parties, especially ones that are iconic and still requested. Asuka support is there, but it is not advanced big as say, even Doomguy for example. Sure there was a time Marvelous’s Twitter shares a Hibari for Smash post, but it was a meme.

There certainly needs to more more buzz and the only way it happens is if we get more action games on the Switch. With spinoffs like Peach Ball, new fans or non-fans would assume she has no moveset potential when these are just spinoffs and games like Estival Versus and Deep Crimson clearly have enough action going on in them. She’s a ninja and got dual swords, those are very unique qualities she has. And no need for the clothing damage mechanics since there is no away you will get around the CERO that way. Even they had to make Bayonetta’s nudity lessons subdued when she did wicked weave attacks. They can just simply focus on aerial raves and specials more since those are the biggest mechanics of Senran Kagura.

Funny, all this talk of toning them down ironically refers to Sony’ss new content regulations. But in this case, it needs to get some toning to really fit a game like Smash.

Eh, there’s will never controversy no matter what. People bashed Joker for being anime and “relevant” there will always be that’s vocal minority expecting all third parties to not be humans. I feel with the FE oversaturation, people will always use it as an excuse to hate swordfighters or human fighters. Asuka stands out on her own, she is a highschool ninja that summons frogs and fight with two swords. That is unwise enough and not generic at all. Not all newcomers need a gimmick to be interesting.

D

Deleted member

Asuka is a new character i support for Smash. Along with the likes of Nepu (Neptunia) too! I'm also a supporter of Panel de Pon's main hero, Lip to be in the game to fight one day.

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I got some big news, Senran Kagura appears in yet another big fighting game.

So far, Yumi is confirmed as DLC for BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle. She has datelined a year ago, same for Asuka who will likely be coming soon. If this is anything to say, it shows that companies are fine with the idea of any character from the series as fighters.

Meaning those roadblocks for Smash are getting more null every day. Can say, this is a huge enough deal for Asuka, and for course her more popular rival Yumi. I will make some adjustments to the thread OP soon.

Asuka is a new character i support for Smash. Along with the likes of Nepu (Neptunia) too! I'm also a supporter of Panel de Pon's main hero, Lip to be in the game to fight one day.
And added.

I won't be shocked if I get more supporters soon after the recent news.

Top Bottom