• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hanzo Academy's Star Student: Asuka for Super Smash Bros Switch (Mai Is Down, What Does That Mean For Asuka?)

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
For example, Asuka is fine.

They will just have to avoid Haruka, Katsuragi, and Shiki spirit.

Although I will not say that today's events makes me worried. Not that the physics will be used in the first place. BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle is an example of using a watered down Senran character, worked well for Yumi.
Alternatively, they could go the Tharja route and use renders of Kat and Haruka in more modest posing and clothes in their spirits, like their school uniforms. I wouldn’t be too worried about the whole Mai situation, either, considering we already have a sexualized character get numbed down, yet still works (come on, I don’t even need to type her name). We’ve got plenty of chances here, so long as select fandom “rules” remain in place.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Alternatively, they could go the Tharja route and use renders of Kat and Haruka in more modest posing and clothes in their spirits, like their school uniforms. I wouldn’t be too worried about the whole Mai situation, either, considering we already have a sexualized character get numbed down, yet still works (come on, I don’t even need to type her name). We’ve got plenty of chances here, so long as select fandom “rules” remain in place.
Can agree. I do remember that the school uniform artworks are feasible. There are so much art in Senran Kagura worth using that would be alternatives if they need to be safe.

This train is not over until Marvelous does more than contribute spirits from a failed mecha game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only remaining obstacle is whether Marvelous themselves are not feeling intimidated by CERO. With Takaki's departure, we've lost our best asset unless they decide to pull a Konami and go ahead with negotiations anyway. :ultsnake:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Ouch, we lost a really pretty lady yesterday. Hopefully this one would go over better, her main outfit seems benign enough.

Troykv

Smash Master
I imagined this thread would have some new replies after the whole Mai thing.

I think Azuka doesn't need to make too big compromises to be okay, with Mai you would need to fundamentally change the whole idea of her attire.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I imagined this thread would have some new replies after the whole Mai thing.

I think Azuka doesn't need to make too big compromises to be okay, with Mai you would need to fundamentally change the whole idea of her attire.
Exactly, Asuka dressed pretty conservatively if we look at her sweater and stockings.

I can name only 5 other characters in her series that look worse. Looking at you Shiki.

If anything, they'd just shrink her boobs a bit, we saw what happened to :ultzss:. :ultpeach:/:ultdaisy: size seems like a fair compromise.
Agreed. That is really the only thing that should happen. The shadows are a given thanks to the princesses.

Troykv

Smash Master
Exactly, Asuka dressed pretty conservatively if we look at her sweater and stockings.

I can name only 5 other characters in her series that look worse. Looking at you Shiki.

Agreed. That is really the only thing that should happen. The shadows are a given thanks to the princesses.
This is the first time I saw Shiki from SK... Damn girl xD

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This is the first time I saw Shiki from SK... Damn girl xD
Say hello to the least dressed Senran.

In general, I do not see her, Kat, or Haruka being referenced. The other girls would make some fine spirits with some mild touch ups on cleavage.

D

Deleted member

Wazzup, my guilty-pleasure fam.

Mai not getting in, plus the callout from Sakurai, hurt her chances HARD.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hello.

And I will not lie and say things are looking slightly scary. But there are ways around it.

The bigger issue is more will there be more Marvelous content than the Daemon x Machina spirits, although those were added to try and get more last minute sales after it bombed.

KirbyWorshipper did bring up a point earlier about negotiating with Takaki for the characters. Marvelous owns the rights of the series now, but Takaki is the series creator and long left Marvelous. He is still working with them on little stuff like Jet Girls, so it is not out of the realm of possibility.

We all more got to hope that he more or less approach them. I do remember that he does like Senran Kagura Burst, but that was so long ago and I doubt he played the others after it.

D

Deleted member

Hello.

And I will not lie and say things are looking slightly scary. But there are ways around it.

The bigger issue is more will there be more Marvelous content than the Daemon x Machina spirits, although those were added to try and get more last minute sales after it bombed.

KirbyWorshipper did bring up a point earlier about negotiating with Takaki for the characters. Marvelous owns the rights of the series now, but Takaki is the series creator and long left Marvelous. He is still working with them on little stuff like Jet Girls, so it is not out of the realm of possibility.

We all more got to hope that he more or less approach them. I do remember that he does like Senran Kagura Burst, but that was so long ago and I doubt he played the others after it.
Kinda like a Kojima situation with Metal Gear? How they got Snake back even if Kojima left?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Kinda like a Kojima situation with Metal Gear? How they got Snake back even if Kojima left?
He probably had a word with Konami as a whole, the company, in regards to the Metal Gear and Castlevania content. Igarashi and Kojima were probably not fully needed as both no longer had anything to do with the series anymore.

Maybe Kojima was happy to see Snake again in Ultimate despite his feelings on the company before leaving it. Not sure how Igarashi feels, maybe positive since he stated he would be happy to work with Konami again for a new Castlevania adventure.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Wazzup, my guilty-pleasure fam.

Mai not getting in, plus the callout from Sakurai, hurt her chances HARD.
I doubt it. Quite a lot of the cast is rather modestly dressed in direct comparison to Mai, especially someone like Asuka.

Here, I drew this this week and colored it just the other day. They’re my favorite characters from the best games I’ve played this year, complete with best girl <3
image.jpg

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I doubt it. Quite a lot of the cast is rather modestly dressed in direct comparison to Mai, especially someone like Asuka.

Here, I drew this this week and colored it just the other day. They’re my favorite characters from the best games I’ve played this year, complete with best girl <3

This is too cute. I really love it.

You have Hibari and Midna.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

>Oxide
>Gooigi
Good to see another person of good taste in games. Ape Escape twitter is teasing us cruelly right now.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You have my support. Marvelous could honestly bring a lot of fascinating new worlds with little to nothing in common lmao.

I know who
In my case, Kat for life. But she has zero chance with the way she dress.

Realistically, only the leaders would be picked. Homura, Miyabi, Yumi, or Asuka.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In my case, Kat for life. But she has zero chance with the way she dress.

Realistically, only the leaders would be picked. Homura, Miyabi, Yumi, or Asuka.
Fellow person of good taste! Although buttoning up the shirt digitally might not be outside the realm of possibility.

At least I've got fondness for Homura myself, so I'd be fine with her.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fellow person of good taste! Although buttoning up the shirt digitally might not be outside the realm of possibility.

Seven swords-users would defnitely be every character that already has a sword weakness' nightmares for days.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Seven swords-users would defnitely be every character that already has a sword weakness' nightmares for days.
Homura would be top tier easily with her moves.

She was one of the best characters in that Nitro+ Blasterz game.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Ditto. This is gonna sound greedy, but if we get Asuka, I wanna see Homura too. They’re both great characters who could easily be bowdlerized, and are capable of different moves no other fighter in Smash is capable of.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Both Asuka and Homura are great! Wish they would get in as skins of the other similar as the Pikmin and WFT reps but they are different.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Both Asuka and Homura are great! Wish they would get in as skins of the other similar as the Pikmin and WFT reps but they are different.
They are way too different from each other.

Similar outfits, but the number of swords they use make a big difference. At best Homura would be a semi clone or fully unique as a fighter.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
What they need to do is make a two dimensional 3 vs. 3 fighting game spinoff, but knowing the series, they might end up making a car wash/racing game hybrid or some sh*t.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
What they need to do is make a two dimensional 3 vs. 3 fighting game spinoff, but knowing the series, they might end up making a car wash/racing game hybrid or some sh*t.
A Senran Kagura game does have potential for a fighting game spinoff. With Homura in Nitro+ Blasterz and Yumi in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, they could just make a fighter with most of the important schools. Maybe some of the non-canon ones from New Wave/Link.

And you are right, we usually get the unconventional spinoffs that make lesser sense. Car washing should be fun, hopefully less annoying than the Gracie car washes in Animal Crossing.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The only way for both to get in at once is if it was a dual-reveal, and the chances for that are slim to none.
Right, at best we will get only one character. Asuka or Yumi at best.

Not to say Homura is unlikely, she is very important actually, just that the Marvelous team markets Asuka and Yumi more as far as recent games. BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle plan to have them together and both characters has their own route in Senran Kagura Reflexions.

If anything, poor Homura and Miyabi are becoming less important as leaders of their own groups.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yumi seems unlikely, seeing as Sakurai makes it a point to start with whoever the main character of a work is, so odds are it would be Asuka regardless.

He almost relented for Hero, but as we know, circumstances allowed for him to work out.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yumi seems unlikely, seeing as Sakurai makes it a point to start with whoever the main character of a work is, so odds are it would be Asuka regardless.

He almost relented for Hero, but as we know, circumstances allowed for him to work out.
Mmhmm. The Marvelous marketing bias will not save Yumi this time.

It will be all Asuka who becomes the sole Senran fighter if one joins Smash. Not that I mind, she kind of deserves it when the former always overshadow her. We all know how hugely popular Yumi is in Japan, her always getting the event costumes in New Link AND New Wave.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
There's a mobile game in Japan called Senran no Samurai Kingdom. By the looks of it, it's a gacha game with tons of guest fighters. Take a look at who I saw!

It's not just SenKag that's got representation either; they also feature a franchise starring a certain someone who's been making the rounds in Smash lately.

I know for a fact that this means nothing, but it's still a really cool little bit that I felt could be shared nice and easy. But if you'd like, you could take a bit of comfort in knowing that a franchise in Smash has some ties to SK (whether or not that actually matters is entirely up to you).

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
That game also crossed over with To Aru, which is just crazy to me. I can have a team of Kamijou, Kyo, and Terry, to form Team Punch.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
That game also crossed over with To Aru, which is just crazy to me. I can have a team of Kamijou, Kyo, and Terry, to form Team Punch.
Yeah, Japanese crossovers are pretty cool. Darkstalkers, Fullmetal Alchemist, even Naruto, there's lots of really neat little bits in that little game. I honestly hope that we get something similar for FEH (I'm pretty active in that game).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
There's a mobile game in Japan called Senran no Samurai Kingdom. By the looks of it, it's a gacha game with tons of guest fighters. Take a look at who I saw!

It's not just SenKag that's got representation either; they also feature a franchise starring a certain someone who's been making the rounds in Smash lately.

I know for a fact that this means nothing, but it's still a really cool little bit that I felt could be shared nice and easy. But if you'd like, you could take a bit of comfort in knowing that a franchise in Smash has some ties to SK (whether or not that actually matters is entirely up to you).
Oh ****, Terry and Asuka actually met each other.

Now if only we can see them meet again in Smash. That would be too cool. Maybe have a reference to that in her reveal trailer.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
slight bump, but with all the leak craziness lately, I've been quite curious what would happen were Asuka to be confirmed at some point soon. Maybe not for #5, but as the marvelous rep post-pass. I imagine she'd draw a lot of confusion and ire, especially after Mai

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
slight bump, but with all the leak craziness lately, I've been quite curious what would happen were Asuka to be confirmed at some point soon. Maybe not for #5, but as the marvelous rep post-pass. I imagine she'd draw a lot of confusion and ire, especially after Mai
I bet there would be complaints of "she gets no support/popularity for Smash over Yumi, so how did she get in??" and "doesn't Marvelous own No More Heroes, they should have used Travis instead". Further showing how disconnected the hardcore base are from the more casual or general fans.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Probably the same gobbledygook we saw with Plant, Hero, and Terry, most likely. Hate her at first, but come to find she has a mighty fun moveset that lets her hold her ground, to the point where people start accusing her of being OP. Considering she’s not as risqué as Mai, I doubt there’d be much ire on that front.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Probably the same gobbledygook we saw with Plant, Hero, and Terry, most likely. Hate her at first, but come to find she has a mighty fun moveset that lets her hold her ground, to the point where people start accusing her of being OP. Considering she’s not as risqué as Mai, I doubt there’d be much ire on that front.
Yeah, I agree with this. I mean, I don’t think Smash Bros has anything like Senran Kagura’s Aerial Raves, so there’s that. Having tried Yumi in BlazBlue, I’m certain Aerial Raves would be hella unique.

Also, looking at Asuka herself, if we discount the clothing damage that’s abundant in the series her design is...actually kinda tame compared to other shinobi in the series. Like Yumi, for example. Her popularity is huge (I mean, she was the first SK character to get into Blazblue before anyone else), and there’s no doubt there would be people that want her, but fam, that yukata of hers is a liiiiittle too loose for her to be in Smash.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Plus, her Shinobi outfit isn't that different from her Academy uniform, so you could easily have a costume alt

anyway put me down for that list

Last edited:
Top Bottom