• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hanzo Academy's Star Student: Asuka for Super Smash Bros Switch (Mai Is Down, What Does That Mean For Asuka?)

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Count me in as a supporter. The recent BlazBlue news has me really excited now that I have Cross Tag Battle! Asuka is also really cool, and I’m hoping she gets announced for BB soon to see how well she transitions into a fighting game.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Count me in as a supporter. The recent BlazBlue news has me really excited now that I have Cross Tag Battle! Asuka is also really cool, and I’m hoping she gets announced for BB soon to see how well she transitions into a fighting game.
Same here. I was unsure whether or not to support, but after Blazblue, I wholeheartedly support. The only thing to do now is to find a way to develop a thicker skin when it comes to fanservice so I can play the source material with no problems because admittedly, the gameplay looks fast-paced in action heavy, kind of like Hyrule Warriors.

Oh, and OP? You said jiggle physics are impossible in the Smash engine? Behold, the latest marvel in Smash engine technology!
1565033072134.png

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, I heard that the Ultimate general reacted thusly after Yumi got confirmed for BBTAG.

Needless to say, I don't think a SK character can ever be brought up over there again.

That being said, I support. Even if I have a preference for Homura.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
We are now at 20 supporters. And all it took was Blazblue Cross Tag Battle news to really help out. I never thought I would make it this far. Shows that the series game a long way since being a niche 3DS game. Thank you all.

So, I heard that the Ultimate general reacted thusly after Yumi got confirmed for BBTAG.

Needless to say, I don't think a SK character can ever be brought up over there again.

That being said, I support. Even if I have a preference for Homura.
You don't have to worry about that in this thread. It's mostly just us fans, not a single hater nor detractor to deal with. I actually quit like how peaceful it is.

People said the series has no place in a fight game, look where we are now. That means it is getting bigger as a series every year. Yumi is just the beginning, even though it is obvious Asuka is coming later.

Homura is not that bad. She would be a fun character too.

Same here. Maybe it can really show us how she can work in a fighter. Not that she would play the same in Smash, since suavely few characters in traditional fighters are as interesting or gimmicky as Smash's.

Same here. I was unsure whether or not to support, but after Blazblue, I wholeheartedly support. The only thing to do now is to find a way to develop a thicker skin when it comes to fanservice so I can play the source material with no problems because admittedly, the gameplay looks fast-paced in action heavy, kind of like Hyrule Warriors.

Oh, and OP? You said jiggle physics are impossible in the Smash engine? Behold, the latest marvel in Smash engine technology!
View attachment 233668

Lmao. I had the feeling someone would bring that up. But at the same time, I doubt Asuka would really have them in Smash. Possibly being watered down the same way Yumi and possibly she will be in Blazblue. I would prefer a more faithful take on her, but hey the CERO is still a major obstacle in the way. Look at what happened to Camilla and Mythra's spirits.

Welcome aboard. More supporters are welcome. The games are very fun, the 3DS ones are drastically different however as traditional beat em ups. The new standard however always been the Versus gameplay that feels like an arena brawler. As a long time fan, both styles are really great.

Last edited:

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
We are now at 20 supporters. And all it took was Blazblue Cross Tag Battle news to really help out. I never thought I would make it this far. Shows that the series game a long way since being a niche 3DS game. Thank you all.

You don't have to worry about that in this thread. It's mostly just us fans, not a single hater nor detractor to deal with. I actually quit like how peaceful it is.

People said the series has no place in a fight game, look where we are now. That means it is getting bigger as a series every year. Yumi is just the beginning, even though it is obvious Asuka is coming later.

Homura is not that bad. She would be a fun character too.

Same here. Maybe it can really show us how she can work in a fighter. Not that she would play the same in Smash, since suavely few characters in traditional fighters are as interesting or gimmicky as Smash's.

Lmao. I had the feeling someone would bring that up. But at the same time, I doubt Asuka would really have them in Smash. Possibly being watered down the same way Yumi and possibly she will be in Blazblue. I would prefer a more faithful take on her, but hey the CERO is still a major obstacle in the way. Look at what happened to Camilla and Mythra's spirits.

Welcome aboard. More supporters are welcome. The games are very fun, the 3DS ones are drastically different however as traditional beat em ups. The new standard however always been the Versus gameplay that feels like an arena brawler. As a long time fan, both styles are really great.
No problem! By the way, I would like see how the 3DS and the Versus style games play. So maybe if anyone can send me some videos that showcases some gameplay from both games, (spoiler free too) I would really appreciate it. I should also mention that it is great to see the series getting two appearances on a Nintendo platform this year. (Even though I’m only new to the series. Lol)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
No problem! By the way, I would like see how the 3DS and the Versus style games play. So maybe if anyone can send me some videos that showcases some gameplay from both games, (spoiler free too) I would really appreciate it. I should also mention that it is great to see the series getting two appearances on a Nintendo platform this year. (Even though I’m only new to the series. Lol)
Unfortunately, I may not be able to share some videos in this topic publicly due to the nature of the games. There are more gifs of the specials than actually gameplay from the Senran wiki.

So tell you what, I may DM these videos and I will make sure they spoil not one thing big from the stories.

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Unfortunately, I may not be able to share some videos in this topic publicly due to the nature of the games. There are more gifs of the specials than actually gameplay from the Senran wiki.

So tell you what, I may DM these videos and I will make sure they spoil not one thing big from the stories.
Thanks, now that’s out of the way. I think both versions look fun to play, and the music sounds great too. I think I like the Versus incarnation better because of its Arena Brawler-like gameplay. I’ve played Fire Emblem Warriors and I love how satisfying it is to see enemies fly all over the place after a strong attack, so this works for me. I probably won’t get the games, but I’m still looking forward to the Cross Tag DLC this November. Also, I apologize if I caused any trouble requesting the videos.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
enough of this "Yumi and possibly Asuka" ****, we all know she's coming. She was literally datamined along with Yumi last year, and Yumi's extra assault cut in is straight from the Estival Versus boxart, which Asuka also appears on alongside her.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
enough of this "Yumi and possibly Asuka" ****, we all know she's coming. She was literally datamined along with Yumi last year, and Yumi's extra assault cut in is straight from the Estival Versus boxart, which Asuka also appears on alongside her.
I know. I only went with that implication since some would rather not be spoiled. Especially those that don’t follow the datamining as much as us. Good call on the boxart. I knew there were some similarities comparing the two.

Either way, both will be very fun to play as. All we need to know is how they would play and what elements of their moveset would work for Smash.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Honestly, I'll admit it; I've been humoring the idea of getting into this series for a while now. I've got no problem with the fanservice, considering I'm a massive fan of Shantae and Skullgirls (the game that got me into fighting games <3), despite those games being relatively tame in comparison to what goes on in SK. The beat-'em-up gameplay is also a factor, which I've experienced through games like Castle Crashers and Bayonetta 2 (which I haven't beaten yet, blast my negligence!). Would you recommend these games to someone like me?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Honestly, I'll admit it; I've been humoring the idea of getting into this series for a while now. I've got no problem with the fanservice, considering I'm a massive fan of Shantae and Skullgirls (the game that got me into fighting games <3), despite those games being relatively tame in comparison to what goes on in SK. The beat-'em-up gameplay is also a factor, which I've experienced through games like Castle Crashers and Bayonetta 2 (which I haven't beaten yet, blast my negligence!). Would you recommend these games to someone like me?
I would highly recommend the series. You get fun gameplay, very charming characters you will grow to love, and some neat lore. As in there’s more beneath the surface.

I would warn you, the gameplay of the 3DS is a side scrolling beat em up, unlike the more arena action like gameplay of the series from Shinovi Versus to Renewal Burst. Due to the popularity of the latter games I mentioned, they are abandoning the older gameplay as a result.

So whichever games you want to start with is up to you. Deep Crimson and Burst (choppy framerate aside) are worth it if you own a 3DS. The other games can be played on a PS4 and Vita (Or Steam on PC). The Switch games are mostly spinoffs, pinball and visual novel dating. I would rather you play some mainline titles to get to know the universe and characters before you play the spinoffs.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I would highly recommend the series. You get fun gameplay, very charming characters you will grow to love, and some neat lore. As in there’s more beneath the surface.

I would warn you, the gameplay of the 3DS is a side scrolling beat em up, unlike the more arena action like gameplay of the series from Shinovi Versus to Renewal Burst. Due to the popularity of the latter games I mentioned, they are abandoning the older gameplay as a result.

So whichever games you want to start with is up to you. Deep Crimson and Burst (choppy framerate aside) are worth it if you own a 3DS. The other games can be played on a PS4 and Vita. The Switch games are mostly spinoffs, pinball and visual novel dating. I would rather you play some mainline titles to get to know the universe and characters before you play the spinoffs.
Sounds like a done deal. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look into it once I'm back in a job and making money again.

D

Deleted member

Next DLC announces a girl to be a fighter! Could it be Asuka?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Next DLC announces a girl to be a fighter! Could it be Asuka?
Possibly, but sadly with recent news it will not be her.

If all the murmurs about an SNK character is to be believed. Which Sabi seems to be fully right about. On top of the NOE leak.

D

Deleted member

Well, she could possibly be the 5th DLC fighter. I know that the 4th can be an SNK Fighter and i am fine with it. What really grinds my gears is that some people think Senran Kagura started as an Anime and Manga series, not realizing that the franchise started of as a 3DS game.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Well, she could possibly be the 5th DLC fighter. I know that the 4th can be an SNK Fighter and i am fine with it. What really grinds my gears is that some people think Senran Kagura started as an Anime and Manga series, not realizing that the franchise started of as a 3DS game.
Wait, people think that?

The manga at best are just an adaption of the games, they did not come before it.

Either these people are uninformed are just blindly ignorant of the fact that it is a video game series. At least it is not confusing as Yokai Watch where the manga game before the game was even released. It makes me wonder what goes on in their minds.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Well, lookie what I picked up tonight.
408FAEAF-B524-4A6A-A4ED-97BC8C9EE721.jpeg
So far I’ve had a good time, but all I know for sure is that I need extra elbow grease to keep its existence hidden from my nieces.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Well, lookie what I picked up tonight.
So far I’ve had a good time, but all I know for sure is that I need extra elbow grease to keep its existence hidden from my nieces.
Very nice catch. Burst is a great introduction to the series, even if it has clear framerate issues at some points. But eventually you will get used to it.

I hope you enjoy slicing some delinquents and kunoichi.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Very nice catch. Burst is a great introduction to the series, even if it has clear framerate issues at some points. But eventually you will get used to it.

I hope you enjoy slicing some delinquents and kunoichi.
Dude, you’re talking to someone with Kirby Star Allies as one of their 2018 games of the year. A little framerate is nothing to me.

By the way, for me, the home menu icon isn’t Asuka like it was shown on the eShop, but a monochromatic picture of an eagle or a falcon. Is this normal?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Dude, you’re talking to someone with Kirby Star Allies as one of their 2018 games of the year. A little framerate is nothing to me.

By the way, for me, the home menu icon isn’t Asuka like it was shown on the eShop, but a monochromatic picture of an eagle or a falcon. Is this normal?
Oh true. Star Allies is a great game.

That is actually normal. They felt maybe the bird was enough to show you are dealing with Ninjas. Xenoblade 3D does have an equally weird icon of Riki infinitely swallowing something.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
As an avid TF2 player who is adequate at best with Demoman, this makes me jealous.
E4C69D23-5DCE-4EA4-A05C-3C01D1D7AB93.jpeg
If a teenage ninja with a parasol that can kill you do this, then a drunken Scotsman with a grenade launcher should have the same freedom.

That being said, this just makes the game sillier, which earns major brownie points for me. I honestly think you’ve got another supporter!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah, Senran Kagura is very over the top.

For example, we have Haruka who has all sorts of puppets she fights with, even one with boxing gloves. Or Mirai having the biggest Gatling gun ever.

But that pales in comparison to the big *** sword that Yomi has. Best girl

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Lucina said it best; "Hope will never die!" That applies here more than ever now that we've got more fighters on the way beyond the Fighters Pass.

After beating the Hanzo route, all I can say is this; go Asuka!

Also Hibari is best girl and this is a hill that I will valiantly die on, no matter what.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Lucina said it best; "Hope will never die!" That applies here more than ever now that we've got more fighters on the way beyond the Fighters Pass.

After beating the Hanzo route, all I can say is this; go Asuka!

Also Hibari is best girl and this is a hill that I will valiantly die on, no matter what.
Hibari is an interesting choice. Not bad. Glad you enjoyed the Hanzo route, I enjoyed their side of the story the most.

We do not have a character from Marvelous in Smash, and I feel she has a better shot than a Harvest Moon farmer. Easy to do moveset and a fighter friendly series.

All aboard the hype train. Let’s see if she will be added in Smash before she is revealed in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle.

D

Deleted member

Hibari is an interesting choice. Not bad. Glad you enjoyed the Hanzo route, I enjoyed their side of the story the most.

We do not have a character from Marvelous in Smash, and I feel she has a better shot than a Harvest Moon farmer. Easy to do moveset and a fighter friendly series.

All aboard the hype train. Let’s see if she will be added in Smash before she is revealed in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle.
Well, i am putting in my hopes that Asuka is chosen for Smash Bros (The one from Senran Kagura and not Tekken)

D

Deleted member

Asuka or bust IMO.

There is no way Sakurai will choose Yumi over her despite Marvelous shoving her down our throats.
Yeah, since Terry Bogard is the main face of Fatal Fury, Asuka is DEFINITELY the main face of Senran Kagura, and she is like 100.000.000 times better than: Mortal Kombat's Scorpion or Doomguy or Kingdom Hearts' Sora or Minecraft's Steve or even Son Goku, Shrek, Spongebob, Especially Waluigi!

And also, on my support list besides Senran Kagura's Asuka: Arle from Puyo Puyo (Compile and SEGA) (Amitie as possible Echo Fighter), Neptune from Hyperdimension Neptunia (Compile Heart), Lip from Panel de Pon (Nintendo), and Load Ran from Twinkle Star Sprites (SNK)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Interesting news, Marvelous now has a game of theirs in Ultimate.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/345330-smash-bros-ultimate-daemon-x-machina-spirit-board-event-announ

Cautiously optimistic about this.

By the way, is Peach Ball any good? I want an unbiased consensus about this.
Just like how Tsubasa was one step for Joker, I will keep an eye on this.

I never played it myself, it seems like an average attempt at pinball. I do give credit to how unique the boards and bonus rounds can get. I was planning on checking it out. Most reviews however see it as mediocre.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Interesting news, Marvelous now has a game of theirs in Ultimate.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/345330-smash-bros-ultimate-daemon-x-machina-spirit-board-event-announ

Cautiously optimistic about this.

By the way, is Peach Ball any good? I want an unbiased consensus about this.
It's still a significant development. We now know that not only is Marvelous involved with Smash in some form, we also know that one of SK's major competitors is out of the running. It might as well spiral into a new franchise joining the main roster of fighters. Fingers crossed lads, we've got a lot of speculation to look forward to!

Last edited:

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
I hope that the people who are thinking it started as a manga first realize that the trailer of the game came first in July 2011. So technically, Senran Kagura is shown to us as a game FIRST. You can give that as a counter argument to the people who are thinking it was a manga first.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I personally admit that Senran Kagura grew from a meh interest of mine to my virtual guilty pleasure. As a feminist, it always intrigued me that this supposed objectification of women isn't actually objectifying them. They actually give these characters a solid development and such, and that is what gravitated me to this series, even to a woman like me.

Support just in case. Would definitely wanna see her someday (if only Sony had been more lenient on censorship...)

"I will what I see through my scope."

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That means we are down to 23 supporters. I never thought I would get this far.

Guess we have some things to look forward to other than Asuka possibly being in Smash, waiting for BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle to add her as DLC or at least seeing if there will be a future for Senran Kagura.

7EVEN is still in limbo since Takaki had long left Marvelous and current involvement at Cygames. With Asuka and Yumi in Kandagawa Jet Girls, he is still somewhat working with Marvelous despite all of this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That means we are down to 23 supporters. I never thought I would get this far.

Guess we have some things to look forward to other than Asuka possibly being in Smash, waiting for BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle to add her as DLC or at least seeing if there will be a future for Senran Kagura.

7EVEN is still in limbo since Takaki had long left Marvelous and current involvement at Cygames. With Asuka and Yumi in Kandagawa Jet Girls, he is still somewhat working with Marvelous despite all of this.
For my guilty pleasure...it's quite saddening to look at.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
For my guilty pleasure...it's quite saddening to look at.
As a long time fan that been in the series, it really is sad. While Marvelous still has the IP, Takaki is still the genius who directs the series. Even if they have someone new try and take the helm, it won't be the same.

At least there are crossovers to live on in, but I will miss when Sony did not threaten the series to the point Takaki was driven away. 7EVEN easily would had been the finale, but we may never know how the story ends.

D

Deleted member

As a long time fan that been in the series, it really is sad. While Marvelous still has the IP, Takaki is still the genius who directs the series. Even if they have someone new try and take the helm, it won't be the same.

At least there are crossovers to live on in, but I will miss when Sony did not threaten the series to the point Takaki was driven away. 7EVEN easily would had been the finale, but we may never know how the story ends.
*cries in Metal Gear Survive*

Honestly it won't be the same again...they'll probably just profit off the fanservice without keeping the charm the original had.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
*cries in Metal Gear Survive*

Honestly it won't be the same again...they'll probably just profit off the fanservice without keeping the charm the original had.
That would be the worst case scenario I can imagine.

Like yes there is fanservice, but the amazing gameplay and good storytelling is what draws us in. And of course the personalities of the characters. I will admit I was one of those folks dismissive of it because of the fanservice on the surface a long time ago, but then all the positive word from mouth from gaming sites is what got me to give it a try.

Burst was a game that I did not expect to be deep for what it was and the gameplay was kind of fun. Estival, Shinovi, Deep Crimson, and others drew me in for similar reasons. I've never saw a character as relatable as Katsuragi in my life. She was like me in many ways and I really connected to her as a character. The rest is history.

Realistically, the leaders like Asuka or Yumi have a better shot as fighters. I would not mind either of them at all. The former two are appearing in many crossovers lately. People say it would be impossible for Smash, but look at Blazblue Cross Tag Battle, it seems Yumi will not have any clothing damage. Not that it would be needed for Smash anyway with how they've handled Bayonetta. Or even the Mythra spirit. Even from the standard outfits alone, they would not need much additional censorship, except maybe Yumi with how her kimono works.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Criminy, if Mai can't get in even as a spirit, what chance is SK going to even have at this point? They'd need to gut out everyone that doesn't wear conservative clothing.
I’d consider outfits of 80% of the first game’s cast modest enough. All they’d have to do with Asuka is reduce her physics and give her a pair of spanx. Besides, Blue Mary still got into the KoF Arena, and she’s dang near topless. Adjustments may need to be made, but I doubt they’d be too drastic.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I’d consider outfits of 80% of the first game’s cast modest enough. All they’d have to do with Asuka is reduce her physics and give her a pair of spanx. Besides, Blue Mary still got into the KoF Arena, and she’s dang near topless. Adjustments may need to be made, but I doubt they’d be too drastic.
For example, Asuka is fine.

They will just have to avoid Haruka, Katsuragi, and Shiki spirit.

Although I will not say that today's events makes me worried. Not that the physics will be used in the first place. BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle is an example of using a watered down Senran character, worked well for Yumi.

Top Bottom