• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halloween (Film Series) Discussion Thread

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
5D1BE326-C43B-4269-83EE-58042DE35F63.jpeg

Welcome to the Halloween Discussion Thread!!!

Since this is the month of Halloween, I realized that there was no Halloween movie series discussion thread. This thread can be used to discuss many different topics involving anything with the Halloween series. It can be thoughts on different movies, favorite moments, characters, theories, quotes, music, news, the good and the bad, just as long as it has something to do with the Halloween series. In my opinion, the Halloween series is one of the most influential films of all time, especially in the horror genre. It really started the big 80’s slasher film boom, leading to films like Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street. In my opinion, Michael Myers is probably my most favorite horror icon of all time! I could go on and Michael and his movies. If any fellow Halloween fans wants to discuss anything, feel free to use this thread!
D528BA23-2FD1-4E22-8CCA-EECEE106643C.jpeg

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've only seen the first three and the 2018 one. I definitely thought Halloween 3 was worse than the others (it felt kind of meandering, and the romantic subplot was weirdly handled, with the main character being old enough to be his love interest's father), but I enjoyed the other three that I saw. (from what I've seen of the rest, the only one that I'm considering watching is H20)

I'm looking forward to Halloween Kills, though I don't know if I'll watch it in theaters. Halloween (2018) was the first scary movie that I saw in theaters, and afterwards, I could feel my heart beating pretty clearly, the hair on my arms was standing on end, and I was really glad that I chose to watch it in the afternoon rather than having to drive home at night. (and that was likely a tamer example of the genre) I avoided watching scary movies for a while, but I gave Halloween (1978) a chance because it focused on suspense and it was light on gore, and I'm glad that I watched it. (so far, John Carpenter's got a really good track record in my eyes, though it helps that I know to avoid some of his movies like Escape from L.A.)

Also, I'm not sure if anyone here plays Dead By Daylight, but Myers is the main killer that I play; there's something so fun about going around in his tier 1 state, when the other players can't hear that you're nearby. (adding in the Scratched Mirror add-on that lets him see through walls is even better)

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Horror movies in general are boring, predictable and terrible, but Halloween Kills was pretty decent if only because it had the main cast actually try to do something to stop Myers for once in their (very short on-screen) lives.

Horror as a genre just sucks. There's nothing scary about people screaming and fake blood. It's just pointless violence with no real trauma or sense of powerlessness invoked. We already know the monster is going to kill almost everybody in the movie so what the hell is the point of even watching it? What suspense even is there in these ****ty movies?

The only thing that was scary in Halloween Kills was the Karen who literally was named Karen and that's only because of how she did nothing worthwhile except emotionally abuse her daughter and deconstruct the actions of everyone else while offering literally nothing of substance. That's it.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just finished watching Halloween Kills. It was definitely gorier/more gruesome than the 2018 one, that's for sure. I preferred the 2018 movie; this one felt more uneven or disjointed (tonally and in terms of pacing), and it's a shame that Jamie Lee Curtis was confined to a hospital bed for most of it.

It had some good moments, but out of the Halloween movies that I've seen, I'd put it second-to-last. (though that's not saying much, since the list would go:

1. Halloween (1978)
2. Halloween (2018)
3. Halloween 2 (1981)
4. Halloween Kills
5. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch

I've deliberately avoided 4, 5, 6, Resurrection, and the Rob Zombie movies - I'm assuming that all of those would be MUCH lower than Halloween Kills or even Season of the Witch) With that in mind, I'm assuming it would be in the top half of the series, based on what I've seen of those other movies, but there's a big gap between the top three and this one for me. (I haven't seen H20 either, but I'm not as sure if that's going to be good or bad)

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm a big fan of the Halloween series. In fact I have a ranking.

1. Halloween (Original) - What makes this film a masterpiece is the realism of it. Haddonfield is a nice, normal town that is suddenly terrorized by this unknown force of evil. It feels like something that could happen in real life. It's very suspenseful and packs a punch by the end. One of my favorite movies.

2. Halloween (2018) - The best sequel in my opinion. I like how they explored how trauma impacts a family line and the kills are brutal.

3. Halloween H20 - After the last couple mediocre films before this one, having Jamie Lee Curtis return was nice. The pacing is good, and before Halloween 2018 came out, it was hype to see Laurie take on Michael again and the battle sequences were great.

4. Halloween 2 - They did a great job of maintaining the atmosphere from the original and making it feel like the same movie. The only thing is that a hospital is just not as interesting as a neighborhood that is creepy at night.

5. Halloween 4 - I rewatched this 2 nights ago and I think it's great. The opening credits scene is great and sets the mood, the characters are likeable, and the ending is the second best one after the original.

6. Halloween (2007) - I actually really liked this one. It delves more into Michael's past but it still doesn't fully explain why he turned completely evil or how he got ungodly strength. I'm not a fan of the dialogue, but I like the grittiness and brutality of it all, and it had a bigger focus on Dr. Loomis and his relationship with Michael. That and there are memorable moments like where Michael pisses off a guy while he is going to the bathroom and they brawl in the bathroom.

7. Halloween 3 - A good standalone film with some interesting ideas. People give this way too much hate for not having Michael but I think it's a solid film with a good cast.

8. Halloween 5 - This is where the series starts to take a dive. Not only did they ignore the brilliant ending to Halloween 4, but they also introduced a psychic link between Michael and Jamie which isn't explored that much and just falls flat. The characters this time around are a far cry from the previous films and even Dr. Loomis becomes a bit unlikeable when he goes completely crazy in some parts. Halloween 5 overall just falls flat and doesn't have the charm that the better installments have.

9. Halloween Resurrection - At the very least I can say it is entertaining and made me laugh (unintentionally). But there isn't a lot to this one and there are no likeable characters except for maybe Buster Rhymes' character.

10. Halloween 6 - This film is a mess. It tries to explain the motives behind why Michael Myers does what he does and not only does it explain too much to the point where Michael isn't as scary, but it's nonsensical. And the ending doesn't make any sense. It does have some good ideas and a few highlights, but overall this ain't a good film.

11. Halloween 2 (2009) - The only Halloween movie that I actively dislike. It's just...WTF. The only good part is the hospital sequence but after that it falls off the rails. You have Michael who is a hobo, and nonsensical dream sequences that includes a women on a horse. Rob Zombie did not want to make this movie, and it shows. Also, the Halloween theme only plays in the ending credits. What a big dissapointemnt.

I did see Halloween Kills but I didn't rank it because I feel I still need to think about it more. While the characters were very dumb even for horror movie standards, the kills were great and it was nice to finally see a town go after Michael. It makes sense and not enough horror movies do that. The only thing that I really dislike is the ending. It should have been more badass than what it actually was, and it felt very rushed. Overall I'd probably put it around the 5 or 6 spot.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I seem to be in the minority but I preferred Kills to 2018 by a mile. I should preface this by saying that the original Halloween is one of my favorite horror films and one I consider essential viewing. 2018 was a solid sequel that took the story in a really fun and interesting direction, but Kills had much better pacing with some really intensely emotional moments that I liked a lot - it made me feel good for being such a huge fan of the original. My only complaints were that I feel there were a few too many deaths (to the point that they felt a little redundant and like they just wanted to kill almost everyone who showed up in the 70s film, they announced Halloween Ends WAY TOO EARLY thus taking the wind out of it a little, and that they got a little TOO tied up in "continuity" and references, but other than that I just felt it was much harder hitting and I'm super stoked for Halloween Ends.

As for the non Halloween-2018-Kills-Ends films, I actually love Halloween III because the villain's plot is super gross. It's not one of my favorite horror films but it holds a special place in my heart for how dark the ending is and how catchy the song is. A guilty pleasure of a film.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Halloween is honestly my favorite slasher film series, having seen most if not all the movies. I’m glad it got to transcend the remake curse with the 2018 film, and will be trying to see Halloween Kills sometime next week if I’m lucky. Would’ve saw it sooner, but this has been one of my busier October’s.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Okay, now that I saw Halloween Kills, it was decent by series’ standards. I liked the 2018 film better but this one was up there with it I felt. The ending I kinda saw coming just from knowing there would be one more film, but was an unsettling way to leave it off on for now nonetheless.

Top Bottom