• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Half Hero, Half Villain, All Tigre - El Tigre Support Thread

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Welcome to the El Tigre Support Thread
Who is El Tigre?
El Tigre is the titular protagonist of the 2007 Nickelodeon show El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera. El Tigre, aka Manny Rivera, is the latest in a long family lineage of super heroes/villains in Miracle City, a crime-infested city that is home to numerous super powered heroes and villains. The bulk of Manny's adventures involve him either facing off against villains with his family or getting into trouble with his best friend Frida Suárez, though it is usually some combination of the two. While Manny has an overall heroic personality, he also has a mischievous streak and will use his powers for selfish reasons on occasion, which more often than not gets him into trouble. This duality of his personality is seen in his interactions with his heroic father White Pantera, who tries to mentor him in the ways of righteousness, and his villainous grandfather Puma Loco, who teaches him about the fun of petty villainy. Even though Manny's family butts heads throughout the show, it is shown that they do deeply love each another and they won't hesitate to team up if their family or innocents are in trouble from a greater threat.
Each of the Rivera family's powers comes from an item they own, with Manny's being a magic belt buckle. Spinning the belt allows him to transform into El Tigre and grants him his powers.
Manny's powers as El Tigre include super strength, agility, jumping abilities, and retractable metal claws that can tear through almost anything. He can also shoot out his hands on a chain like a grappling hook to grab enemies or terrain. Using his El Tigre powers, Manny is neither a full hero or a full villain, but he fashions himself as something in between.

Why El Tigre?
El Tigre's powerset makes him a perfect choice for a platform fighter. His claws allow for quick and flashy melee options while his grappling hook claw could act like a tether/command grab. Considering other super powered characters like Danny Phantom, Aang, and Korra are already in and Jenny from My Life as a Teenage Robot is already being heavily considered for DLC, El Tigre is a natural pick for a Nicktoon fighter.
It also helps that El Tigre's creator Jorge R. Gutierrez already came out in support of the idea of him becoming a playable character in NASB back when the game was first announced:
With a powerset that's basically made for a platform fighter, there's no doubt that El Tigre would be both a viable and fun character in Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl.

Supporters List:
PK-remling Fire PK-remling Fire
Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming
tonygameman tonygameman
DaUsername DaUsername
ninjahmos ninjahmos
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465
Greenhorne Ethan Greenhorne Ethan

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
In retrospect I was a little surprised when I found out that the show is as obscure as it is, since I watched it a lot as a kid while it was airing and imo it was definitely one of Nick's more memorable shows of its time period. Also the fact that Jorge Gutierrez sneaked El Tigre references into his later works, like in The Book of Life where Manny and Frida have a small cameo near the beginning of the movie.

I'm just glad that there's a lot more support for El Tigre with the release of NASB. There were definitely a ton of concepts in that show that would make for great fighting game mechanics.

Top Bottom