• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HAL Labratories mentions new Kirby games and merchandise for 2021

kirbything.jpg

With release dates only for Bravely Default 2 and Super Mario 3D World: Bowser's Fury, Nintendo's 2021 leaves a mystery for many. In HAL Labratory's recent statements on 4Gamer, translated by Siliconera, they mention working towards their goal for next year - for more people to enjoy Kirby games. The full quote from director Yumi Todo can be found here,

"We’ll keep working hard on our goal in 2021. That is, for as many people as possible to enjoy Kirby [games]. We have plans not only for games but also for merchandise, books, and a variety of events like with the Kirby Cafe," said Todo. "We hope you’ll continue to support both Kirby and HAL Laboratory in 2021!"

While it is not surefire to have a new Kirby game release in 2021, new Kirby content certainly seems to be on the horizon. Kirby fans, rejoice!

Author's Note: Any hopes you have for the next Kirby game? Personally, I'd love to see more Daroach. As for merchandise, more plushies of various Kirby characters always sounds good to me! Let us know what you'd like to see in the comments.

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

Gosh I really hope they innovate this time. I used to be a big Kirby fan, but that's mostly jumped off a cliff due to how stale each experience is plus Star Allies's lore not taking it in a way I personally liked. I really hope we get some actual large innovation in the next main Kirby game instead of just small gimmicks like the Ultra Swords, Robobot suit, Hypernova, revisiting the friend gimmick they did in Superstar, etc.
Of course this is only relevant if this Kirby game is actually going to be a main line game, lol.
Kirby merch is always cute though, Kirby characters a great. Looking forward to that.

BTW KRtDL is the best one :)

Last edited:
Gosh I really hope they innovate this time. I used to be a big Kirby fan, but that's mostly jumped off a cliff due to how stale each experience is plus Star Allies's lore not taking it in a way I personally liked. I really hope we get some actual large innovation in the next main Kirby game instead of just small gimmicks like the Ultra Swords, Robobot suit, Hypernova, revisiting the friend gimmick they did in Superstar, etc.
Of course this is only relevant if this Kirby game is actually going to be a main line game, lol.
Kirby merch is always cute though, Kirby characters a great. Looking forward to that.

How could they innovate without making it overly complex though? Kirby thrives on simplicity.

If the Kirby series goes 3D, I hope they take the Star Allies world map thing an make a game out of it. An isometric platformer in that style would make for an awesome Kirby game.

I really just want dlc in Kirby Fighters 2. Daroach, Marx, the Mage Sisters, Suzie, Taranza, and Chef Kawasaki would all be welcome.

Star Allies DOES innovate the gameplay with the ally mechanics, and so does Robobot. As you said, you only "didnt like it" because the lore somehow wasnt what you head-cannoed so please dont spread whats quite basically a lie about such good games for the sake of hating them for something else, if you grew out of a series just move on to stuff you enjoy, using falacies to treat it as fact feels petty and wrong, not trying to be rude but generalizations are kind of unfair when a lot of people look like they jump on "opinions" solely because they saw it written enough times.

Also as the other person says the series thrives on simplicity, the recent games did a great job at innovating while still inside the classic gameplay so people suggesting to do the same thing as if it didnt already feels very hypocritical and bandwaggonny. You are no better than the people who hated on RoDL without playing because it wasnt like their childhood SNES game

Also I'm old enough to remember when Return to Dream Land was THE hated new game that "gamers" despised for not being innovative and not feeling the same (both lies I disagree with as I love that game too) and now its the "old nostalgia game instead"... literally the Zelda Cycle. I really dont get it, how such a friendly, simple series like Kirby can atract malicious nostalgia people who will Zelda Cycle it of all things... its like people go out of their ways to be vile about things they dont play and cant accept their childhood is warping their view as their "arguments" are always vague words like "not feeling the same" etc, sujective unprovable things for the sake of forcing a genwar, and when it feels "well at least this generation grew out of it and isnt being toxic anymore"... the following generation goes and acts even worse and more hypocritical (and its always including stuff like "btw the game I gre up with is the best one", not saying it was your intention here, but they always write the same thing to start genwars even though they clearly dont play the series but always act like they own it because of the one game of their childhood).

Kirby is too fun and wholesome to deserve nostalgia hatedoms who will lie things like the games not innovating etc like this, its one thing not to like the newer games but if a proper reasoning cant be found, warping things isnt an answer either :( People really should just accept they grew out of something if they cant point out a justifiable flaw.

Last edited:
Star Allies DOES innovate the gameplay with the ally mechanics, and so does Robobot. As you said, you only "didnt like it" because the lore somehow wasnt what you head-cannoed so please dont spread whats quite basically a lie about such good games for the sake of hating them for something else, if you grew out of a series just move on to stuff you enjoy, using falacies to treat it as fact feels petty and wrong, not trying to be rude but generalizations are kind of unfair when a lot of people look like they jump on "opinions" solely because they saw it written enough times.

Also as the other person says the series thrives on simplicity, the recent games did a great job at innovating while still inside the classic gameplay so people suggesting to do the same thing as if it didnt already feels very hypocritical and bandwaggonny. You are no better than the people who hated on RoDL without playing because it wasnt like their childhood SNES game

Also I'm old enough to remember when Return to Dream Land was THE hated new game that "gamers" despised for not being innovative and not feeling the same (both lies I disagree with as I love that game too) and now its the "old nostalgia game instead"... literally the Zelda Cycle. I really dont get it, how such a friendly, simple series like Kirby can atract malicious nostalgia people who will Zelda Cycle it of all things... its like people go out of their ways to be vile about things they dont play and cant accept their childhood is warping their view as their "arguments" are always vague words like "not feeling the same" etc, sujective unprovable things for the sake of forcing a genwar, and when it feels "well at least this generation grew out of it and isnt being toxic anymore"... the following generation goes and acts even worse and more hypocritical (and its always including stuff like "btw the game I gre up with is the best one", not saying it was your intention here, but they always write the same thing to start genwars even though they clearly dont play the series but always act like they own it because of the one game of their childhood).

Kirby is too fun and wholesome to deserve nostalgia hatedoms who will lie things like the games not innovating etc like this, its one thing not to like the newer games but if a proper reasoning cant be found, warping things isnt an answer either :( People really should just accept they grew out of something if they cant point out a justifiable flaw.
Innovating how? The friend mechanic in Star Allies is essentially just the same mechanic Superstar had, but with extra copy abilities. While it's nice to have that mechanic, it isn't new and doesn't effect the main gameplay in any major capacity. Each other new Kirby game doesn't add anything to each game outside of a new super powerup. That doesn't add nuance to the gameplay outside of certain sections, though I admit Star Allies is better in this case.
Every new mainline Kirby game has a story mode with collectibles, a world to world structure with bosses at the final level, a bosh rush mode, two minigames, and some sort of story mode remix. The only thing that separates each Kirby game from each other is it's story, characters, and it's "gimmick". Kirby doesn't innovate much more than each NSMB innovates. NSMB is pretty much just new levels with a new powerup every game, which is essentially a dumbed down explanation of what Kirby does. When I think of Kirby innovating, I think of how different the Great Cave Offensive, Meta Knight's Revenge, The Amazing Mirror, and Gourmet Race are from the normal story mode, I want Kirby to do more of that.

Also I never said I dislike Star Allies's lore because it didn't follow my headcannon, I just disliked the way they took the story. Plus, it's only Star Allies that has story stuff I dislike, I love RtDL and Robobot's lore and stories.
I personally just dislike how Zero is apparently related to Kirby. I'm not saying it's inherently bad, it just felt too predictable and boring and attempts to tie up the Kirby universe instead of expanding it. Plus the return of Zero feels incredibly underwhelming, it's a recycled boss fight. This is incredibly painful with the way they've been hyping up the return of Zero throughout the past games and connecting him to literally every other Kirby boss. Though, I seem to be the only one with this opinion.

I'm not saying any of these games are bad. Any of them make a great first Kirby game. It's just that the gameplay of Each Kirby game feels way too similar, and it has been for too long.

Last edited:
Hoping for a open world 3D Kirby game one day.
Open World? I think you mean Collectahlon (ala Sm64) !

Kirby doesn't innovate much more than each NSMB innovates. NSMB is pretty much just new levels with a new powerup every game, which is essentially a dumbed down explanation of what Kirby does. When I think of Kirby innovating, I think of how different the Great Cave Offensive, Meta Knight's Revenge, The Amazing Mirror, and Gourmet Race are from the normal story mode, I want Kirby to do more of that.

I personally just dislike how Zero is apparently related to Kirby. I'm not saying it's inherently bad, it just felt too predictable and boring and attempts to tie up the Kirby universe instead of expanding it. Plus the return of Zero feels incredibly underwhelming, it's a recycled boss fight. This is incredibly painful with the way they've been hyping up the return of Zero throughout the past games and connecting him to literally every other Kirby boss. Though, I seem to be the only one with this opinion.
To be fair 1 Kirby Abilty is atleast 500% more complex than 1 Mario Power up there are also more New kirby Abilitys than Mario Powerups, Also Kirby Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot used Backgounds and had Quite Unique Theming

But Void Termina is Related to Everyone! Plus Void T isnt really a Rehash sure he uses a lot of Old Attacks (from Darknmind, Drawcia Soul, Miracle Matter)
but it has 3 Completly Unique Phases and even the Soul looks Diffrent Enough!
And while its a bit weird how Dm/ Zero get so many Reffrences they were the Main Baddys 3 Times and are the most known Evil Kirby Boss (atleast before Hackurai used Knightmare and Marx in Smash)

I really just want dlc in Kirby Fighters 2. Daroach, Marx, the Mage Sisters, Suzie, Taranza, and Chef Kawasaki would all be welcome.
Also a patch to make dedede Easier to obtain would be nice!

View attachment 297590
With release dates only for Bravely Default 2 and Super Mario 3D World: Bowser's Fury, Nintendo's 2021 leaves a mystery for many. In HAL Labratory's recent statements on 4Gamer, translated by Siliconera, they mention working towards their goal for next year - for more people to enjoy Kirby games. The full quote from director Yumi Todo can be found here,

"We’ll keep working hard on our goal in 2021. That is, for as many people as possible to enjoy Kirby [games]. We have plans not only for games but also for merchandise, books, and a variety of events like with the Kirby Cafe," said Todo. "We hope you’ll continue to support both Kirby and HAL Laboratory in 2021!"

While it is not surefire to have a new Kirby game release in 2021, new Kirby content certainly seems to be on the horizon. Kirby fans, rejoice!

Author's Note: Any hopes you have for the next Kirby game? Personally, I'd love to see more Daroach. As for merchandise, more plushies of various Kirby characters always sounds good to me! Let us know what you'd like to see in the comments.
Im hoping for Dark Matter (orb+ Swordsman), Bandana Waddle dee (with spear), Adeline and Void Termina (soul Form) plushies!

Also Action Figures of all Alstar pluis Named Plushies + some menacing/ Crepy/ big Characters!

Top Bottom