• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hailing from the Sinnoh of old - Legends Trainer for Smash

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Legends Trainer

360px-Legends_Arceus_Main_Character_male.png
File:Legends Arceus EN boxart.png
388px-Legends_Arceus_Main_Character_female.png

Overview
The player characters from the upcoming new direction for the Pokémon franchise: Pokémon Legends Arceus. Hailing from times where any kind of modern technology didn't exist, they're tasked with creating the very first pokedex with the help of 1 of 3 starter Pokémon, none of which are native to the Sinnoh region:
File:722MS8.png
File:723MS8.png
File:724MS8.png
File:155MS6.png
File:156MS6.png
File:157MS6.png
File:501MS6.png
File:502MS6.png
File:503MS6.png
All starter families, in pokémon tradition, represent one of the 3 basic types used to teach type advantages & disadvantages in a rock/paper/scissors format. Though this time, all starters come from completely different regions in the world of pokémon: the Grass type Rowlet family from the Alola Region (Pokémon Sun and Moon + Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon), the Fire type Cyndaquil Family from the Johto region (Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal) and the Water type Oshawott family from the Unova region (Pokémon Black and White + Black 2 and White 2).

Why this character?
Given we now have only 1 more dlc character left, it's highly likely it'll be a 1st party from a recent title. And even though Pokémon Legends Arceus doesn't come out till January, long after the fighter's pass is over, Legends Trainer has the advantage of using pokémon already established from games' past + it's unlikely the pokemon will get anything drastically new in the games, so there's already material to make a moveset. This would help smash stay fresh featuring a character from a future or recent game (like many last reveals have been this way).

Even though we already have a 3-in-1 character with Pokémon Trainer Red & the Kanto starters, nothing says we can't revisit that concept with pokémon from completely different generations. At least one of the three stages of each species is a very popular pokémon who can offer something new for playstyle & overall moveset: plant abilities, flight, ghostly properties, unconventional fiery attacks and aquatic traversal/offense with shell-like swords.

Pros & Cons for their inclusion:
+ Having a 3-in-1 character would be a great way to finish the smash ultimate dlc, as it would offer the most smash for your buck.
+ This would benefit the generations who have quite the lackluster content in the game.
+ They'd be adding 3 popular and beloved pokémon from beloved games who wouldn't have a chance at being playable otherwise.
+ Can bring more kinds of attacks & abilities that haven't been covered by Pokémon Trainer or other pokémon characters.

- Sakurai is more likely to pay attention at the current generation and pick a new pokémon from the recent games: Sword & Shield.
- The 2nd fighter's pass is already filled with characters who take up a lot of effort & dev time to make, including a 2-in-1 character with Pyra/Mythra.
- Sakurai might want to focus on another gimmick to differenciate them from the other Fighter Pass 2 characters.

While any combination of these families would be neat, I'll tackle one of the many combinations of whom I feel are the most likely & appropriate (you can speculate others if you like):

Legends Trainer.png

Decidueye, Cyndaquil & Dewott Movesets (in Progress) & Skins
-------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Colors (Cyndaquil).png

2 Colors (Dewott).png

3 Colors (Decidueye).png

Stage
As of now there's no definitive landmarks from Legends Arceus to say much (and for those arguing adding a stage from an unreleased game is unlikely, look at Woolly World in Smash Wii U), but a possibility would be Mt Coronet (with or without a restored Spear Pillar at the top). Could work as a transition stage like Prism Tower & Delfino Plaza, starting at the foot of the Mountain.

XdskJhJoPSh7USKJGG2Tdg.jpg

Music
With Legends Arceus being far away from the likely release of the last fighter this year, one thing they could do is add music from each of the games that the starters come from, with a few songs from other generations. Here's a sample (most would be remixes):​
Gen II:
  • Batte! Rival Silver.
  • Battle! Wild Pokemon/ Battle! Trainer.
  • Battle! Johto Gym Leader/Elite Four.
  • Battle! Team Rocket.
  • Battle! Champion Lance/Red.
  • Battle! Raikou, Entei & Suicune.
  • Battle Lugia/Ho-Oh.
  • Johto Town/City Medley.

Gen V:
  • Battle! Gym Leader.
  • Battle! Rivals (Cheren, Bianca & Hugh Medley).
  • N Battle Medley.
  • Battle! Team Plasma.
  • Battle! Colress.
  • Battle! Champion Iris.
  • Battle! Legendary Pokémon.
  • Battle! Team Plasma Leader Ghetsis.
  • Unova Town/City Medley.
  • Emotion.

Gen VII:
  • Welcome to Alola/Credits (Sun/Moon).
  • Battle! Team Skull.
  • Lusamine Battle Medley.
  • Battle! Totem Pokémon.
  • Battle! Island Guardians.
  • Battle! Ultra Necrozma.
  • Battle! Team Skull Leader Guzma.
  • Battle! Rival Hau.
  • Battle! Ultra Beasts.
  • Battle! Rainbow Rocket.
  • Vast Poni Canyon.
  • Lillie Medley.

Misc.
  • Battle! Groudon/Kyogre.
  • Battle! Gym Leader (Ruby/Sapphire).
  • Battle! Gym Leader/Elite Four (Diamond/Pearl).
  • Battle! Trainer (Diamond/Pearl).
  • Battle! Rival Barry.
  • Battle! Gym Leader (X/Y).
  • Kalos City/Town Medley.
  • An Eternal Prison.
  • Slumbering Weald.
  • Battle! Zacian/Zamazenta.
  • Battle! Gym Leader (Sword/Shield).
  • Battle! Rival Bede.
  • Battle! Rival Hop.
  • Battle! Rival Marnie.
  • Battle! Chairman Rose.
  • Eternatus Battle Medley.
  • Wild Area Medley.
  • Battle! Calyrex Medley.

Supporters List:
LukeRNG
Torgo the Bear
fogbadge
Spazzy_D
War Anvil
ZagarTulip
Jondolio
NSSKG151

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I'll feel really dumb if they announce new evolutions for the starters. Though unlikely, it's possible.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The only Pokemon newcomer I would be hyped for

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
That's it? No Misty? rimshot

In all seriousness, this would be a really unexpected way to build off of Red and Leaf's inclusion. That, and Decidueye could finally be in Smash this way! Sign me the heck up.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I'm a bit stuck on the skins for the 3 pokémon, I've only been able to come up with 2 alts for each: a shiny variant for each, a Croconaw alt for Dewott, a Litten alt for Cyndaquil & a Serperior alt for Decidueye; the last 3 of which don't really go together for the same alt selection. The hardest part is getting the alts to be somewhat thematic (the shinies aren't perfect either: 2 bright colors vs Decidueye's darker color).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm a bit stuck on the skins for the 3 pokémon, I've only been able to come up with 2 alts for each: a shiny variant for each, a Croconaw alt for Dewott, a Litten alt for Cyndaquil & a Serperior alt for Decidueye; the last 3 of which don't really go together for the same alt selection. The hardest part is getting the alts to be somewhat thematic (the shinies aren't perfect either: 2 bright colors vs Decidueye's darker color).
alts dont really need to thematic. if you look at PT's they dont really match anything

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
alts dont really need to thematic. if you look at PT's they dont really match anything
Just remembered that in the morning. I guess just color themes right? Default, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple & White/Black.

Edit: Skins Added.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, I usually don't really get involved in these types of threads, but... man, I still want Decidueye. I don't care if it's as part of a trainer set and/or even a regional variant, I just wanna play as my undead owl boy. Dewott and Cyndaquil are cool too.
I don't have a lot of hope for this character concept to make it in, but I'd be over the moon if the Hisuian Trainer (or just Decidueye) got in, so sign me up.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Not sure how likely it is for them to choose a character from Legends Arceus over a gen 8 Pokemon but then again it wouldn't be the first time they chose a character whose game wasn't released yet as a DLC character. I'm down for another character who plays like Pokemon Trainer and the I like the design of the Arceus Legends playable characters. Also, I would like to see a gen 2 Pokemon who is not Pichu be playable in Smash. At the very least I do think a Pokemon character is likely to be the last DLC character and if I had to choose I would want it to be either Zacian or the Legend Arceus trainer.

Top Bottom