• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ha Ha Ha! The Wario Social

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
It's not a secret, but it's not going to be talked about on here. Though if you ask a dev member in person they'd probably tell you the details. The only thing I'll say on the matter is that everyone, exluding puff, has gotten some kind of adjustment, the extent of which I'm not sure.

Anyway 3.5 is going to help wario a lot, considering he'll actually be able to gimp a larger portion of the cast, especially tether characters. I personally love it because I won't have to work 3 times as hard as my opponent does, who's recovering, and risk getting edge guarded myself in the process. Also the stage picks are going to be a lot more interesting, since your thought process isn't going to be, "oh great, they can get back from everything and I can't, better pick a small stage".
That is good news, and is more or less what I was hoping to get from my question because I feel like Wario is supposed to be able to do that, but he hasn't been able to because of the general strength of recoveries in this game to this point.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
On another note, I will be heading To Smash Carolina V this weekend.
Anyone else here attending? If so, it'd be pretty neat to meet up and play friendlies xD

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
Newer player here, Wario secondary, and I have a question...

Is it intentional that Wario can essentially have two midair jumps?

To clarify, if you shoulder bash off a ledge and jump during the bash down, you gain some height yet retain your normal double jump after the bash ends. It's not gamebreaking to my knowledge, and I doubt I'm the first to notice, but it can help me against people with obvious recoveries from slightly below and/or near the ledge and tends to confuse my opponents.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
@ PootisKonga PootisKonga
Yes, it's intentional. It's a very important part of his gameplay, and I'm honestly surprised it doesn't get used more. Landing SB is always good, and landing one off stage is almost a certain kill. Plus, there's next to nothing a recovering opponent can do to beat it. They can't shield in midair, and shield is the best answer to SB.

Sometimes I wish I could fastfall during it. So there could be some sort of mixup where you trade your SB jump for a fastfall. Just some more 50/50s that could make Wario more interesting.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
psure that's all me doing short hop > bite and drifting backwards, and in the second case that's boss moving slightly to the left

i could be wrong, just detailing my experience but...either way it doesn't really matter, just saying what it "feels" like, could def be wrong
Well since you use bite so much, your play is a pretty good way to get a round about idea of what the size, and where the grab box of bite is. Idk, I'm not going to hassle you, or spam the thread about it, so I'll leave it at that for now. Maybe the lead developer of wario could shed some light on the issue.
Wario's Bite does not have a grab box behind him, unless by "him" you mean "his mouth." He has one on the inner area of his mouth and another on his upper torso, neither are disjointed. Aerial version, of course, as the grounded version is pretty negligible.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Wario's Bite does not have a grab box behind him, unless by "him" you mean "his mouth." He has one on the inner area of his mouth and another on his upper torso, neither are disjointed. Aerial version, of course, as the grounded version is pretty negligible.
The grab boxes aren't placed directly behind him I know, I've seen it, but they're large enough in size and positioned in such a manner that they do cover an area behind him, which allows for reverse bites. I also recall seeing 3 grab boxes, not 2.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The grab box does not protrude at all beyond his hurtbox.
There are two.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Because you're drifting through them and your brain can't remember specifically the frame before you grab them.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Likely grabbing their feet. Doesn't really help to watch videos that aren't 60 FPS; we're missing out on the important pre-grab frame in just about any example.

Objective image of 3.02 Bite Grabboxes:

You don't have to drift "through" them, just barely into their hurtbox.

Last edited:

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
Likely grabbing their feet. Doesn't really help to watch videos that aren't 60 FPS; we're missing out on the important pre-grab frame in just about any example.

Objective image of 3.02 Bite Grabboxes:

You don't have to drift "through" them, just barely into their hurtbox.
I'm just going to chime in here as someone who fights wario pretty often. I don't care if there are 2 or 3 hit bubbles for bite... Those grab bubbles are ****ing stupid. Having an aerial grab in the first place is a big deal for pressure, but wario also has crazy aerial mobility and the majority of his body is a slightly lingering grab area. This would be ridiculous most anyone let alone on fifty fifty Mix-ups the character.

The only grab bubble that should be there is the top one... in his mouth... This is a great example of fat that needs trimming.

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Oh now I remember, there is actually a third gab box right in front of his mouth, right next to the top one, but it doesn't grab characters, so it doesn't matter. I guess it's one of those hit boxes that only effects specific things. Regardless, the way those 2 grab boxes are positioned and the way he leans when he bites makes reverse bite very deceptive visually. I'll concede to the fact that the size isn't the main cause, and it isn't what you'd consider "disjointed". However, this still doesn't change my opinion that with the combination of their position on his body and the area they cover, and with his aerial mobility, it makes reverse bite not only visually confusing, but also an incredibly strong option.

Again this isn't a personal attack on Coney, because I heard he was a pretty cool duder, but here is another example of it in better quailty 2:35. My point is basically that it shouldn't be as valid of an option to grab someone with your back with an aerial command grab, with an animation clearly suggesting visually he'll be grabbing in front of him, considering how massive his mouth gets.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I'm just going to chime in here as someone who fights wario pretty often. I don't care if there are 2 or 3 hit bubbles for bite... Those grab bubbles are ****ing stupid. Having an aerial grab in the first place is a big deal for pressure, but wario also has crazy aerial mobility and the majority of his body is a slightly lingering grab area. This would be ridiculous most anyone let alone on fifty fifty Mix-ups the character.

The only grab bubble that should be there is the top one... in his mouth... This is a great example of fat that needs trimming.
P:M main link... lol plz keep talking about ridiculous character mechanics :^)

Last edited:

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
P:M main link... lol plz keep talking about ridiculous character mechanics :^)
I stopped playing link in 3.02 months and months ago because of the jank. I only ever even play 3.02 to show people how broken link is in it, if they didn't already know. I'm playing Sd remix until 3.5 is out publicly.

Links jank has nothing to do with warios jank.

Last edited:

Evilpancakes

Smash Rookie
Let's talk about how freakin' effective wario's spin-move-thing is, this move has pretty much saved my like 900000 times.

Last edited:

Child Star

Smash Ace
I placed 3rd in a local monthly in Alabama, I am become eSports the destroyer of bracket.
On another note, risky off stage down airs: worth it if you have a full fart?

Turazrok

Smash Master
I think there are very few characters worth dairing offstage against. Ex. Marth, Roy, falcon, rob etc. Those you KNOW you can land.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Spacies I SB offstage if I think they'll phantasm and drop down nair/bair if I think they will firefox/bird.

If they're right under the ledge that's different.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I placed 3rd in a local monthly in Alabama, I am become eSports the destroyer of bracket.
On another note, risky off stage down airs: worth it if you have a full fart?
I generally only dair after a footstool offstage or if Fox/Falco UpB very poorly.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I don't go for offstage dair unless I just know lol. I also don't like blowing a fart for a young dair, mostly cause I lose my comeback factor, and risk getting edge guarded, which can actually happen to wario.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
If I had to weigh using dair to meteor while I have a fart, I will be more likely to use it if I have a partial fart. If I had a full fart, I'd just dropzone fastfall fart or dropzone fastfall nair/fair into fart. If I had no fart, I'd just edgehog.

Agi

Smash Lord
Making a concerted effort to establish Wario as my real main here, after cutting out Yoshi and clinging to some aspects of Roy. I've only just started to work the Chomp into my game - I can't believe I thought this move was useless for so long. Blame Kirby's absolutely absurd version of it making it pale in comparison, I guess, was that intentional to make it reliably deal around 25%? Just, jeez.

Top Bottom