• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ha Ha Ha! The Wario Social

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
If we're still talking about bite, it's definitely hard to land in neutral without a good prediction. However, it's very free in midcombo for extensions and against players who just teched on a platform. I find that the more bites a Wario player is able to land in a game, the more likely they are to win. Though it could also be the opposite... the more likely you are to win, the more likely you are to land bite. I guess the goal is to be that Wario. For combo extensions, try sour nair to dj bite or usmash to fh bite. In neutral, make sure you fastfall before you bite. It helps me make sure I get in that extra chew before I throw and it allows the aerial version to transition to the grounded version which has more range. Against players over 100% on the ledge, if you see them coming off the ledge without a ledge hop, a bite will always last long enough to get them before their invincibility ends. From there, it's a free SB, aerial, or fart.

ECTO

Smash Rookie
It kinda breaks momentum when used in the air, you really need to be inside the person and I wouldn't mind a bigger hit box for it. It doesn't need to be that much bigger honestly. Also, any use for swallowing bombs and such? Seems just better to avoid them altogether.

Last edited:

0RLY

Yeah, I can't lie... It's very frustrating when I just pass through an opponent in the air with my jaws wide open. My man needs a hitbox as big as his appetite.

For swallowing bombs, I wish it would work on mortars and landmines, but alas... It only works on 3 attacks, the 2 Links' bombs and Snake's grenades. I guess Peach's bob-ombs once in a blue moon. It really only works against the Links since Snake's grenades explode really quickly and the grenades are tiny. With Link however, the bombs travel slower and are larger, so they're easier to catch.

To effectively use them, you'll want to catch them with an airdodge or whatever. Then jump into Link, z-drop the bomb and immediately eat it. However, this is super easy to avoid. If you want to combo into it, you'll need to catch a bomb, land a bite asap, bite throw into full jump, bomb drop, bomb eat. The other way is to catch a toon link using the bomb jump recovery too close to the stage, as in within your jump reach. Get out there and eat his bomb. You will be invincible during the bomb eat and avoid the inevitable b-up while hitting TL. Many links recover with bomb pull glidetoss up+throw forward. If you can intercept that with a bomb eat, you may be able to catch the link before he can airdodge+clawshot.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Yeah I agree it can be a little difficult to land in neutral, but it makes sense that way. Wario has to do some work to get in, but once he does, he can really rack up the percent, and that's why the mechanics of bite fits. It can be hard to land, but once you do, you can do some nasty things. However, I still don't like how it can grab people from behind him. It's like the game is giving me a free pass at spacing it wrong, and it really leaves a bad taste in mouth....lol. But that's just my $.02, and I'm going leave it at that. I don't want to make a super big deal about it, just wanna voice my concern.

@ 0RLY 0RLY Lol you're a madman, trying to find a way to use the explosion from catching a bomb with bite, I love it. Btw you've had some pretty useful thoughts on some matchups lately. I did pretty decently against abate's mew2 because of what you suggested.

Angry Squirrel

Smash Rookie
Welp. I can strike that friend off for sure as good player material to train with.
Even while drunk I can outplay him if I go Wario. At least, I'm 75% sure of it. His little brother doesn't even rank on the charts... so noob that he can 2-stock a lv 9 cpu peach... (but not with wario.)

ECTO

Smash Rookie
Try online play. Wario works decently for online play as he's not very technical as a character. He's much more read based.

Coney

Smash Master
i am bite champion

u never want to do it on the ground, so ground hitbox point is moot

use it in shorthops if people are expecting aerial approach and drift backward

hitbox isn't really behind it, but since he drifts so much it catches people shielding

good players will be conditioned to roll to get away from attacks AND bite, which leads to conditioning into farts

BETTER players will try to just stuff u in the air since bair is laggy, which becomes a problem but isn't insurmountable

Angry Squirrel

Smash Rookie
Hey Coney, master of the jaw, have you ever tried to play around with the idea of using Bite to edgeguard or gimp? I've always wondered about what would happen if an off-edge opponent was miraculously caught in Wario's teeth.

Pondering aside, I had a unique situation come up today against a friend - on FoD, I did an aerial bite against his shield while he was on the edge and drifted over it. It ended with the bite throwing him against the stage and bouncing off too far to recover (with Roy's UpB).

It looked like it could've been teched, but it wasn't because we were both surprised at it. I didn't intend to drift off the edge at all!

Coney

Smash Master
biting people offstage isn't a BAD idea, per se, but needs to be used super selectively just because wario's recovery is probably in the bottom 75% of the cast, it's really bad

what you're describing is different though, and sounds really interesting, but hard to set up and i'd be really nervous of doing it in a neutral situation--maybe if i was at 130% and the opponent was at 10% or something

i'll do some testing tomorrow at the xanadu monthly, we're doing pools so i'll have some fodder to play around with

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
hitbox isn't really behind it, but since he drifts so much it catches people shielding
I mean no disrespect when I do this, but I have to call you out on this coney. There is definitely a grab box behind him, and unfortunately the best video evidence is your videos. Take a look at the video you just posted, and at the the times of 4:11 and 19:53 (you might want to start a little before and go into settings and lower the speed to .25 to make it easier) tell me how you you're grabbing them if there isn't a grab box behind you.

So yeah, not taking away your performance at all because you did really good, but sorry, not letting that comment about bite slide lol.

Coney

Smash Master
psure that's all me doing short hop > bite and drifting backwards, and in the second case that's boss moving slightly to the left

i could be wrong, just detailing my experience but...either way it doesn't really matter, just saying what it "feels" like, could def be wrong

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Well since you use bite so much, your play is a pretty good way to get a round about idea of what the size, and where the grab box of bite is. Idk, I'm not going to hassle you, or spam the thread about it, so I'll leave it at that for now. Maybe the lead developer of wario could shed some light on the issue.

Last edited:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Bite is the business. I need to study Coney to see how he gets so many off.

0RLY

After watching those clips, aerial Bite's hitbox lines up where Wario's ear is. Definitely not behind him. Definitely not in front of him. It's kinda like Puff's rest. Just really close to the center of his body.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
People are pretty afraid of those pearly whites, so you can get away it in a lot of situations. The best way is to scare people into their shield, usually with dair pressure, or from platform tech chases.

@ 0RLY 0RLY - That just makes it even jankier. If it's those weird grab bubbles in the middle of him, it would explain why there are situations like the ones in coney's vids, where he grabs people behind him, and then the situations where you land right in front of your oppenent, where you should be clearly grabbing them, but nothing happens. Keep in mind also, as pointed out earlier, that the size of those grab boxes have been increased.

0RLY

So I noticed that it's really easy for people to see dair coming if you use it above them. The increased fall speed you get from it usually isn't worth the telegraph. It's much better to use it in pretty much footstool range to at least force your opponent to think you might bite instead.

I wanna see some frame data on footstool range to see if it's bigger than air-bites.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Yeah it's really easy to see coming. I get punished a lot for it. I've been conditioning myself to not go for it nearly as much, and instead act like I'm going for it, then go for a tomahawk or something.

I've absolutely no idea the footstool range, it would be fantastic if we could get that data.

Last edited:

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
So I have actually been meaning to ask a question on the chomp that occurred to me yesterday, when you transition from air to ground, does the small aerial hitbox stay upon landing mid-chomp, or does it become the larger ground hitbox upon landing?

This may be obvious, but I haven't really paid attention to that specific detail before.

Orbison

Smash Rookie
Newish player, I've been maining Wario casually for about a year, and I'm now looking to make the jump to competitive. Looking for some advice from experienced Warios, who is a good (non-spacies) secondary character to learn? Is it wise to learn a second character to cover the difficult wario matchups, or should I instead focus that energy on making those matchups work with Wario?

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Newish player, I've been maining Wario casually for about a year, and I'm now looking to make the jump to competitive. Looking for some advice from experienced Warios, who is a good (non-spacies) secondary character to learn? Is it wise to learn a second character to cover the difficult wario matchups, or should I instead focus that energy on making those matchups work with Wario?
From personal experience, most matchups, even the hard ones are doable, but I'd say the matchup with Marth warrants the need for a secondary because he is able to basically stuff everything you can do with his speed and range. Fox is also pretty difficult, so I'd say ideally someone to deal with those 2 at least on even terms.
I personally use Metaknight since I have fun using him, and he goes more or less even with the 2 characters I just mentioned.

I'd say just look around at characters that can at least deal with Marth effectively in my personal opinion.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I fee like a couple character are hard enough for Wario that if you have a second character you can play well, it would be worth it. However if you are new I suggest to stick with Wario alone for a while.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
Yo guys Waymas here, i still play Brawl but im kinda new on PM so i appreciate any help :)

0RLY

@ Orbison Orbison Wario tends to do poorly against disjointed characters, or anyone with more range than him. This typically means he does poorly against MK, Pit, Marth, M2, DK. However, with M2 and DK, since they're not disjointed, you at least have a shield grab or the occasional trade to make up for it. To beat range, I would recommend speed. I used to use Link to attempt out-ranging MK, Pit, Marth, but then some would just overwhelm me with speed. I now currently use Diddy Kong against them and have been faring much better.

Matasd

Smash Cadet
Hey guys another wario main here, I have a tournament coming up in two weeks and was wondering how best to prepare. Also how do I dacus 'correctly'? The way I dacus with relatively high success requires that i hit the opponent(or their shield) and then do control stick right+a then as quickly as possible control stick up and hit a again. The timing is pretty narrow, and i cant do it without hitting the opponent in real time. Is there a way to dacus effectively without the c stick?

Turazrok

Smash Master
Change your button layout to r - attack or something. I personally do c-stick and z but you just have to practice

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I'm unfortunately unable to go, sorry duder. The only person that's going from my group in TN is KO, but that's assuming he doesn't flake lol.

LOE1

Smash Lord
I would, but the venue fee is too much for me knowing i wont make anything back :(

Turazrok

Smash Master
I have found out that I really struggle in matchups where I am unable to freely pressure my opponent, or am on the defensive. Characters such as Diddy, MK, Fox, and Falco all really give me trouble. How do you guys deal with huge amounts of stage control/pressure?

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering, does anyone know if Wario is getting touched at all for the 3.5 patch?
If nobody knows (or the information is secret), that is fine, I have just been wondering. xD

In any case, how are the people feeling about the next patch what with the recovery nerfs and stuff?
I feel like that would bode well for the Big W since it's all about that air game xD

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
It's not a secret, but it's not going to be talked about on here. Though if you ask a dev member in person they'd probably tell you the details. The only thing I'll say on the matter is that everyone, exluding puff, has gotten some kind of adjustment, the extent of which I'm not sure.

Anyway 3.5 is going to help wario a lot, considering he'll actually be able to gimp a larger portion of the cast, especially tether characters. I personally love it because I won't have to work 3 times as hard as my opponent does, who's recovering, and risk getting edge guarded myself in the process. Also the stage picks are going to be a lot more interesting, since your thought process isn't going to be, "oh great, they can get back from everything and I can't, better pick a small stage".

Top Bottom