• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gunvolt Strikes!

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Is Inti Creates considered an indie developer? They don't currently have any representation in Smash I think so that could be a huge barrier for Gunvolt. I'm not a huge supporter of this particular character but I do like Inti Creates and I'd like to see them rise up in the industry.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Two pages. I dare say, I'm surprised.

I believe Inti Creates is an Indie company, since they don't receive financial support from the bigger companies like Capcom or Square Enix. The only outside support they've gotten was through making some of their games physical.

Anyhow, some more Dragon Marked for Death Gameplay--this time with the Witch and Shinobi playable. I'm defintely looking forward to this game.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think they do have an ace in the hole: Blaster Master. It's such a huge cult hit in the West back in the day to the point that Zero was made with Sunsoft's blessing partly because of that. Sure enough, it reached over 100 000 sales, as well.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I think they do have an ace in the hole: Blaster Master. It's such a huge cult hit in the West back in the day to the point that Zero was made with Sunsoft's blessing partly because of that. Sure enough, it reached over 100 000 sales, as well.
Heh... I've been playing Blaster Master Zero a lot lately.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I've decided to join in support of Gunvolt. I love me this series quite well, and he seems to have quite a few things on his favor.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Two pages. I dare say, I'm surprised.

I believe Inti Creates is an Indie company, since they don't receive financial support from the bigger companies like Capcom or Square Enix. The only outside support they've gotten was through making some of their games physical.

Anyhow, some more Dragon Marked for Death Gameplay--this time with the Witch and Shinobi playable. I'm defintely looking forward to this game.

Well darn, Dragon: Marked For Death is getting average reviews so far. Is Inti really at their best when they handle other people's properties?

Altais

Smash Champion
Hmm, I can't say I'm surprised. Usually, I can tell whether or not I'll like a game just by watching the videos. I could tell right away that the combat was going to be monotonous. That said, I was hoping it would make up for that with puzzle-solving. But from what I've heard, most of the stages lack imaginative design. Which, again, doesn't surprise me. Since the stages are designed to accommodate the abilities of four characters whom have completely different abilities, naturally there are limits as to what they can build.

If I were Inti Creates, I would have given each character their own separate story arc--that way, each would have their own unique stage in which their abilities would shine. I would limit the multiplayer to competitive gameplay modes--such as "whom can destroy the most enemies?" or "how long can all four of you last whilst pitted against this army?"

Overall, the game just had a lot of untapped potential--bottom line. Originally, I planned to get the physical copy, but I might just get the Witch/Shinobi version and be done with it.

Altais

Smash Champion
Admittedly, I've become more open to the idea of Jason being in Smash. Since he does have seniority over Gunvolt, I could see Jason beating him to the punch. I really like the new mechanics introduced in Blaster Master Zero 2. From the trailer alone, I can already see how Jason would work. I think I'll write a moveset for this character, once I've played the sequel.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Just finished Blaster Master Zero 2, and it was absolutely amazing. Definitely a huge improvement over the original. I'd say it rivals the Gunvolt games. Definitely writing a moveset for Jason; already got a playstyle figured out.

Also, I just began Dragon Marked for Death and am enjoying it so far. Decided to play as Shinobi first. If you know how to use Copen from Gunvolt 2, then Shinobi should be a no-brainer. I dare say, the game is gorgeous. Mine only major qualm so far is that since the stages and enemies were designed to accomodate the abilities of all four characters, they weren't as imaginative as they could have been. Nevertheless, the bosses are quite challenging; almost died on the first one.

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
I would like to support Gunvolt. I've played the demo for the first game and he looks really cool.

Altais

Smash Champion
As of now, the Shinobi and Witch are mine favourite characters to use in Dragon Marked for Death. The only thing keeping this game from getting a higher rating, in mine opinion, is the poor single player. The game was practically designed for co-op play. No matter which character you use, you'll have a very hard time on your own.

For single player, there should have been an input command where you could call upon another character and have them use their Dragon ability (example: the Witch having the Warrior use his force field, or having the Empress use her dragon fire).

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hey everyone, Ninty here, some of you may know me from Twitter but I just wanted to say a few things regarding Gunvolt.

Just gonna say I think Gunvolt is slept on, despite the short time he's been around his series has become a full franchise with multiple installments and even an OVA, as well as multiple crossover appearances that he appears in. He's also extremely unique and his passive ability would make him very interesting.

With most of the other major indies being relegated to smaller roles (Even though I don't think Spirits disconfirm), I could very well see him being chosen as the indie rep, as he would represent the indie scene in Japan.

The ones I currently see are him, Shantae, or Quote, between the three it's a hard call, but let's see who makes it!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Gunvolt is my indie pipe dream. I see Shantae or the Knight from Hollow Knight as more likely but Gunvolt getting in would be a dream come true

Even if he doesn’t make it as playable though, I’ll accept a Mii Costume of him bundled with Beyond the Blue and/or Eternal Blue as BGM, since the Sans Costume proved you don’t need a stage to have new music

Altais

Smash Champion
As usual, I'm surprised anyone replied.

Anyhow, Shovel Knight being an AT and Sans being a Mii Fighter at least shows that Indie characters are not off the radar. Now that we know there will be more DLC fighters beyond the first wave, assuming Nintendo won't pick the characters, the only way I really see Gunvolt making it in Smash is if Sakurai takes a personal interest in him. That said, I have mine fingers crossed.

I'm really looking forward to Luminous Avenger iX, which is releasing this September. Lots of people hate Copen, but I've thoroughly enjoyed his secretive, lone wolf attitude. Though, for the sake of keeping things fresh, I do agree he should undergo some character development. Although, I don't want him to go the hero path like Gunvolt did. I'd rather have him as an anti-hero or a vigilante. I'd say he has just as much moveset potential as Gunvolt. Ergo, both of them in Smash would be a bonus for me.

This song is absolutely epic:

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
As usual, I'm surprised anyone replied.

Anyhow, Shovel Knight being an AT and Sans being a Mii Fighter at least shows that Indie characters are not off the radar. Now that we know there will be more DLC fighters beyond the first wave, assuming Nintendo won't pick the characters, the only way I really see Gunvolt making it in Smash is if Sakurai takes a personal interest in him. That said, I have mine fingers crossed.

I'm really looking forward to Luminous Avenger iX, which is releasing this September. Lots of people hate Copen, but I've thoroughly enjoyed his secretive, lone wolf attitude. Though, for the sake of keeping things fresh, I do agree he should undergo some character development. Although, I don't want him to go the hero path like Gunvolt did. I'd rather have him as an anti-hero or a vigilante. I'd say he has just as much moveset potential as Gunvolt. Ergo, both of them in Smash would be a bonus for me.

This song is absolutely epic:

Copen would make an excellent Echo Fighter of Gunvolt imo, change up some of the animations and possible change up his speed and I'd say he'd work out great!

Altais

Smash Champion
As of now, I've finished the main story of Luminous Avenger iX, cleared the special stages, and collected all the emblems. Overall, I have mixed feelings.

For the most part, it was an excellent game, but I have some minor qualms. Like Viewtiful Joe 2, the mechanics were there, but not quite the same charm as the first two games. In the first two Gunvolt games, the level-select menu showed the faces of the bosses--but in this game, it just shows a part of the stage. Really don't like that change. Also, I'm not a fan of the Pokémon gimmick. I would have liked it better if all weapons were equally effective in damage--that way, the player can just stick to his/her favourite weapon. That said, though, I really like the new EX weapons; I can tell they've learnt from the flaws in the EX weapons in Gunvolt 2. In terms of efficiency, I find Anchor Nexus, Orbital Edge, Photon Detonator, and Rising Cyclone to be the best shortcut weapons.

As for the story:

I'm glad Copen, like Shadow the Hedgehog, got to star in his own game. Unlike Shadow's solo game, though, Copen's solo game is, bluntly put, much better. I really like the dark tone of the story, as well as the shocking secrets revealed toward the end. Copen being a cyborg with implanted memories totally caught me by surprise--though really, it does make all kinds of sense, given how articulate, proficient, and insightful he is for his age. So not only did Dr. Kamizono experiment on his daughter, he experimented on his son as well. The part with Mytyl was %&#£ed up. I thought that one day Copen would reunite with her, but instead he's forced to kill her--or what's left of her. Though, this raises a question: if Sumeragi took Mytyl, what happened to Nori? We still don't know what her role is. Lastly, I was shocked by the final boss. I was expecting Gunvolt to make a cameo appearance, but instead Azimov pops up.

The ending was a little dissatisfying, though. It just cuts off with Blade and her sister dragging Copen back to their hideout. I would have liked to see some aftermath. Is Copen going to stay with them, or is he going to take off because of Blade? I can tell Copen's perspective is shifting ever so slightly, but in the end he's still going to have mixed feelings, due to his past traumas. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a part of Gunvolt that still hates humans for what they did to him in the past. Gunvolt and Copen could easily be standing in eachother's shoes.

Overall, I'm thoroughly enjoying the Gunvolt series. The plot just keeps getting deeper and deeper. I look forward to future numbered titles and spinoffs.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Copen's going to be added to Blaster Master Zero 2 as DLC.

Oh, sweet.

I was beginning to wonder if this game would ever receive DLC characters, and Copen is a pretty interesting choice to start things off. He looks really fun.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
why do people like copen? he was deeply unpleasant person
As far as his personality is concerned, I don't like him all that much.

His gameplay is still really fun and I think his design is pretty neat, though.

Altais

Smash Champion
why do people like copen? he was deeply unpleasant person
Again, I like Copen mostly for his secretive, lone wolf attitude.

I've always liked anti-heroes, because they're never really 100% anything. One moment they're helping the good guys, the next moment they're the good guys' worst enemy. Despite having non-charismatic traits, in the end success wouldn't be possible if it weren't for their actions.

Personally, I like it when the protagonist is not your average cheesy do-gooder. It adds a dark flare to the story. I like characters with dark personalities. Since they have such troubled backgrounds, they're simply much more interesting to learn about than the typical selfless cape-wearer. Ever since Copen appeared in the first game, I always wanted him to be playable. He contrasts Gunvolt in every way; while Gunvolt is ground-based, Copen is flight-based. Gunvolt is an Adept, Copen is a non-adept. Gunvolt has a "hero gimmick" (as Merak put it in the anime), while Copen is more of a mercenary.

Again, for the sake of keeping things fresh, I do agree that Copen should undergo some character development, but I don't want him to go the hero route like Gunvolt. I'd rather have him as an anti-hero. Someone whom is at times strikingly amoral, but at other times altruistically self-sacrificing. Someone whom walks on the dark side of humanity, but uses the darkness for good as he sees it.

Despite it evolving for practical reasons (sends out the message to others that they need to not pick on the person whom got revenge), the #1 glitch of revenge is when bystanders get caught up in it. Also, it often warps into revenge against a group, rather than the particular individual whom committed the crime. That said, I wonder how Copen will be affected, now that he's actually defeated Azimov, the Adept whom killed his father.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Again, I like Copen mostly for his secretive, lone wolf attitude.

I've always liked anti-heroes, because they're never really 100% anything. One moment they're helping the good guys, the next moment they're the good guys' worst enemy. Despite having non-charismatic traits, in the end success wouldn't be possible if it weren't for their actions.

Personally, I like it when the protagonist is not your average cheesy do-gooder. It adds a dark flare to the story. I like characters with dark personalities. Since they have such troubled backgrounds, they're simply much more interesting to learn about than the typical selfless cape-wearer. Ever since Copen appeared in the first game, I always wanted him to be playable. He contrasts Gunvolt in every way; while Gunvolt is ground-based, Copen is flight-based. Gunvolt is an Adept, Copen is a non-adept. Gunvolt has a "hero gimmick" (as Merak put it in the anime), while Copen is more of a mercenary.

Again, for the sake of keeping things fresh, I do agree that Copen should undergo some character development, but I don't want him to go the hero route like Gunvolt. I'd rather have him as an anti-hero. Someone whom is at times strikingly amoral, but at other times altruistically self-sacrificing. Someone whom walks on the dark side of humanity, but uses the darkness for good as he sees it.
youve described my least favourite character trope

Altais

Smash Champion
Cuphead's reveal has somewhat increased mine hopes for Gunvolt and Copen making it in Smash. As Mii costumes, at least. Honestly, that is more than I could ever hope for. If we do get a playable Indie character in Smash, I honestly think Travis Touchdown stands the best chance.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Cuphead's reveal has somewhat increased mine hopes for Gunvolt and Copen making it in Smash. As Mii costumes, at least. Honestly, that is more than I could ever hope for. If we do get a playable Indie character in Smash, I honestly think Travis Touchdown stands the best chance.
I hope they come with songs - Gunvolt with Eternal Blue, and Copen with the Luminous Avenger iX version of Igniter. That alone will satisfy me

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah i think that could mean good things for more indie mii costumes, though my mii would look so weird in gunvolt's outfit

Staarih

Smash Master
They keep on delivering, Azure Striker Gunvolt 3:

I've kind of fell off the Gunvolt track, but the support is always there. Seeing how Sans and Cuphead got special treatment with their Mii costumes, I think Gunvolt could fit well in that cast as well, if a playable option is off the cards.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I love the Katana girl! She looks fun to play as with her projectile-deflecting moveset

but yes, deluxe Gunvolt costume if we absolutely MUST get one more deluxe that's both a Gunner and Indie (I'd like to see some that aren't Gunners, aren't Indies, or both). maybe even more than one song cause damn, Gunvolt has a **** ton of BOPS. Eternal Blue/Beyond the Blue, Igniter (LAiX) and the new GV3 trailer song

Altais

Smash Champion
Glad to finally see some of Gunvolt 3. I dare say, I was surprised not to see his signature Flash Field in the trailer. I wonder if they did away with that mechanic in favour of something fresh. Also, I can’t help but wonder why Gunvolt is wearing an attire with the Sumeragi emblem on it. Has he allied himself with Sumeragi, or does he have an ulterior motive?

Ever since Blade appeared in Luminous Avenger iX, I always thought a Gunvolt character with a melee weapon would be a refreshing addition. Ergo, I’m looking forward to trying out this new mystery girl.

Overall, Gunvolt seems to be establishing itself as a solid series, despite its obscurity. I hope to see more numbered titles, as well as spinoffs.

Top Bottom