• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gunner Style Discussion

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Mii Gunner isn't suited for dubs. The character isn't bad in dubs, but isn't the best option. You need space to thrive and you can't really thrive with so little space and many bodies everywhere. Good players will not lose to Mii Gunner in dubs.

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Some people have been talking about making another push to get Miis available in their proper form in tournaments. Toward this end, I have produced an open letter you can share with your ladder host or tournament organizer that will hopefully open their hearts to the idea. It covers many common concerns. It was mostly written after conversations amongst the Swordfighter folk, but I hope it matches your feelings as well and that it will be a useful tool for you to open conversations with those who make the rules in your area.

http://smashboards.com/threads/mii-...in-the-afterlife.401541/page-18#post-19645879

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Grenade nerf is throwing me off. Just about every attack is cancelling them out now. Making me prefer Charge Shot. I have a easier time keeping out with Missiles now in conjunction with Fair/Bomb Drop shenanigans.

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
I think we need a fix for Jab, so all the hits consistently connect. Being naired out by Luigi/Yoshi, punished by Dolphin Slash etc isn't great. You can bait it but don't like the risk/reward. I think default size will become standard so I would also like Side tilt to actually reach to the end of the flame animation and be safer. Would also like combo throw to U-air not to kil percents but at least to like 50%. People falling out of Dsmash/Usmash doesn't happen much at default size but would nice for that to be fixed as well

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Grenade nerf is throwing me off. Just about every attack is cancelling them out now. Making me prefer Charge Shot. I have a easier time keeping out with Missiles now in conjunction with Fair/Bomb Drop shenanigans.
Yeah, I feel myself switching from 25/0 grenade gunner to 0/0 charge shot gunner. Super Missiles are ~ -4 on shield point blank, so you know you're pretty safe if they can't hit you with an attack in time or power shield. With uair buffed, gunner doesn't need reliable smashes as much.

Charge shot, missile, bomb drop, fair, and dtilt all deal a lot of shield damage and pressure.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
So I was on stream with Mii Gunner yesterday at Nebulous Prime #1 in NYC (Was about 182 people there I heard). This was against Zee, one of the top Villager players out there. I impressed many people there with Gunner even some of the top players there.

http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3/v/11245330

My match is around 02:19:07. (Mind the SD, that was a missed input. Actually had a few of those x.x.)

Keep in mind this tournament only allowed default size with any of the Mii's moves accessible so no 0/0 or 25/0 here.

When this match is up on youtube, it will be posted again in the Gunner boards video thread.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So I was on stream with Mii Gunner yesterday at Nebulous Prime #1 in NYC (Was about 182 people there I heard). This was against Zee, one of the top Villager players out there. I impressed many people there with Gunner even some of the top players there.

http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3/v/11245330

My match is around 02:19:07. (Mind the SD, that was a missed input. Actually had a few of those x.x.)

Keep in mind this tournament only allowed default size with any of the Mii's moves accessible so no 0/0 or 25/0 here.

When this match is up on youtube, it will be posted again in the Gunner boards video thread.
I saw it. I think you got this next time. I was wondering why you didn't use more of gunner's normals given the chance? Did you just want to keep him away?

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I saw it. I think you got this next time. I was wondering why you didn't use more of gunner's normals given the chance? Did you just want to keep him away?
I didn't think Gunner would do too good up close and keeping him away was working pretty good so I kept doing it. Gonna use Nair a bit more against people up close. Need to find more ways to survive up close situations in general.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I didn't think Gunner would do too good up close and keeping him away was working pretty good so I kept doing it. Gonna use Nair a bit more against people up close. Need to find more ways to survive up close situations in general.
Against villager is a bit weird since his dair is so good. I like to use utilt if I really have to challenge a move (they should be approaching from above).

Full hop uair->double jump into another aerial is quite good (not sure if default size can do this). Gunner also has a really nice dance trot, especially 0/0. Bair is alright and has a decent autocancel, probably not too great on default size but it can combo into dash attack for smaller sizes.

I just think there are plenty of instances to go in for a moment since you were hitting a lot of fairs and blocking out his options but didn't get much reward sometimes.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Against villager is a bit weird since his dair is so good. I like to use utilt if I really have to challenge a move (they should be approaching from above).

Full hop uair->double jump into another aerial is quite good (not sure if default size can do this). Gunner also has a really nice dance trot, especially 0/0. Bair is alright and has a decent autocancel, probably not too great on default size but it can combo into dash attack for smaller sizes.

I just think there are plenty of instances to go in for a moment since you were hitting a lot of fairs and blocking out his options but didn't get much reward sometimes.
Thing is, I'm more comfortable weaving in with small Gunner. Default is much slower so it was hard for me to run in at times to capitalize on things. I think default is at it's best walling people out while smaller gunners can afford to be more aggressive. I still need to get used to default size, been with small for so long lol. I'll try to weave in if I catch them with Fair a bit closer to default Gunner.

Btw, Full hop uair -> Double Jump doesn't work on default which sucks x.x.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Thing is, I'm more comfortable weaving in with small Gunner. Default is much slower so it was hard for me to run in at times to capitalize on things. I think default is at it's best walling people out while smaller gunners can afford to be more aggressive. I still need to get used to default size, been with small for so long lol. I'll try to weave in if I catch them with Fair a bit closer to default Gunner.

Btw, Full hop uair -> Double Jump doesn't work on default which sucks x.x.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Great effort on your part nonetheless :)

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Also will be practicing 1111. I know the next Smash Attack is gonna have 1111 limits until further notice so gonna be ready.

Thanks san. Glad I did Gunner some justice.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Man, was the grenade nerf that bad? I haven't been using it since customs sorta died off in my area, but that sucks. I'm okay with charge shot, but that thing needs to have just a smidge more KO power plz >.<

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
What are the guaranteed combos out of grabs? I can't get anything to true combo in training mode with a level 9 CPU using down throw or up throw. Also, how much did the nerf to the Grenade Launcher hurt the move? I like that move way more than Mii Gunner's other neutral specials, so I'm annoyed it got nerfed.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I don't think you can true combo anything with Up and Down Throw sadly. Maybe something will change in the next patch!!

Also, the nerf does hit hard if you used the move very defensively since it used to explode when anyone clanked with it. The nerf just makes it disappear. If you use it like a spacing too to hit people as opposed to punishing them for attacking the projectile, it's more or less the same.
The nerf was a good way to balance the move, even though I prefered the old variation the buffs that came with the nerf were so good.

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
What are the guaranteed combos out of grabs?
I don't have an exact list of characters, but on fast-falling / heavy characters, in the 25-35% range you can f-throw into fully charged charge shot. Some characters you can jab-reset using an uncharged charge shot (Shiek at 25%) and then dash in and up-smash, which does similar damage to fully charged charge shot. These aren't true combos in the sense that the opponent can tech, though so far I've had no one tech out of this.

Shulk is an example of a character that the above does not work on - Too low percent and he won't go into tumble (And can shield immediately), high enough percent that he goes into tumble and he can jump out before getting locked into hitting the ground.

Either way, Gunner's throws are trash. Better used for stage control than they are for setups.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
What are the guaranteed combos out of grabs? I can't get anything to true combo in training mode with a level 9 CPU using down throw or up throw. Also, how much did the nerf to the Grenade Launcher hurt the move? I like that move way more than Mii Gunner's other neutral specials, so I'm annoyed it got nerfed.
At very low %, dthrow to nair. At ~60-70% %, dthrow to uair (they can DI this though). These both registered as combos in training mode. If they keep Diing behind you, you can uthrow instead.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
At very low %, dthrow to nair. At ~60-70% %, dthrow to uair (they can DI this though). These both registered as combos in training mode. If they keep Diing behind you, you can uthrow instead.
But do any of these register as true combos (I.E. cannot be DI'd out of)?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
But do any of these register as true combos (I.E. cannot be DI'd out of)?
No. You can only trap if they DI behind you. They're still put in some bad positions. If they DI towards you, they go straight up.

If you think they're going to DI behind you, uthrow. If you think they will DI towards you, dthrow, then you can combo from dthrow.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
So basically you have to rely on them having bad DI to combo into anything from a down or up throw.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So basically you have to rely on them having bad DI to combo into anything from a down or up throw.
mix dthrow/uthrow since there's no singular way to DI both.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Okay, I've tried 50-50 1111 Gunner at length and all I got for it was anger and frustration.

Someone point me at the best way to contact the host for Anther's Smash Ladder. I'm going to start somewhere on getting these stupid restrictions repealed and it might as well be with him. I've looked all over and cannot find a way to get in touch with this guy.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Nevermind, found his Twitter but his house is overrun by wasps. Not the best time for me to pursue rules changes.

Anther's Ladder allows any size (by virtue of 'ain't no rule saying they HAVE to be a certain size') but does limit them to 1111 moves.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
wasn't the reason miis got duffed into 1111 because someone got salted by brawler or something?

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
That's the way I heard it, yes. Apparently someone landed d-throw -> Helicopter Kick on Smashville around 40-ish percent and KOed someone as Brawler and they threw a fit and Anther responded by making all the Miis 1111-only.

Because hey, why bother seeing if there's a counter-tactic to something when you can instead cry and whine until the TO bans what you don't want to deal with? If they had pulled that nonsense regarding ZSS' low percent kill combos they would have been laughed out of the venue, of course.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Mii Gunner with customs is better (and significantly more cancerous) than Mii Brawler with customs imo

Unfortunately for people who have to play against Mii Gunner, it seems that most TOs are starting to let people use customs/change size and weight.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Mii Gunner with customs is better (and significantly more cancerous) than Mii Brawler with customs imo
lol, against someone who has no idea how to fight them, yes I'm sure it will seem super cancerous. But if people learn the match up that will probably change. Good use of a reflector can ruin everything for Gunner.

Unfortunately for people who have to play against Mii Gunner, it seems that most TOs are starting to let people use customs/change size and weight.
Fun stuff! Hopefully people start showing up and playing as the Mii Fighters.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
lol, against someone who has no idea how to fight them, yes I'm sure it will seem super cancerous. But if people learn the match up that will probably change. Good use of a reflector can ruin everything for Gunner.

Fun stuff! Hopefully people start showing up and playing as the Mii Fighters.
It's not really that, it's just shields are supposed to beat projectile spamming characters (what Mii Gunner is). So if you give that character heavy shield pressure (Down B 2 is the biggest culprit by far) then you're taking away the one weakness that the character has.

With customs, Mii Gunner is easily high tier, maybe even borderline top tier, and it's a character that just outright isn't fun to play against, like Luigi and Sonic and all those other awfully designed characters.

Why should I have to play a character with a reflector to shut down a character; I don't understand.

Edit: this probably will get flagged or reported by some moronic tumblr fanatic, so I'm not sure if this is worth pursuing here.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
It's not really that, it's just shields are supposed to beat projectile spamming characters (what Mii Gunner is). So if you give that character heavy shield pressure (Down B 2 is the biggest culprit by far) then you're taking away the one weakness that the character has.

With customs, Mii Gunner is easily high tier, maybe even borderline top tier, and it's a character that just outright isn't fun to play against, like Luigi and Sonic and all those other awfully designed characters.

Why should I have to play a character with a reflector to shut down a character; I don't understand.
Then you oughta perfect shield everything then, haha.

Besides you don't need a reflector to beat her, it's just really nice to have. You just have to stop her from moving. If you limit her movement options, she can't wall you out while she's cornered forever. If she's stuck by the ledge with no real way to get out of it, she's in a super bad position. Especially since her only safe approach option are Grenades and Fair, the former disappearing when clanging and the latter doing prwctocally no shield damage and is punishable if she lands while using it. Bomb Drop has too much end lag to be of any real use if the opponents shields or clangs with it.

Which leaves the side special options, most people run missiles that are slow and can be perfect-shielded easily and Flame Pillar I suppose is the only good cover since its main problem is just the end lag but the projectile gets the job done.

Either way, if you actually play Bowser you'll generally armor through pretty much everything anyways if you just dropkick your way towards Gunner lol. And don't get me started on how unreliable her kill moves can get.

Is there potential? Definitely, but I don't think she'll be dominating the whole cast. If you give people time to learn the matchup, I assure you she won't be top of the line material or anything lIke that.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
"Powershield everything" is a horrible argument and you know it. Can you even powershield down B 2 because of it's multihit properties?

I'm not so sure about Bomb Drop's end lag; I'm actually doing this things frame data right now which is why I'm here. Flame Pillar upsets me greatly because of how it covers literally everything when used perfectly on the ledge.

Either way, if you actually play Bowser you'll generally armor through pretty much everything anyways if you just dropkick your way towards Gunner lol. And don't get me started on how unreliable her kill moves can get.
Bowser's can't armor anything of Gunners.

Regarding KO moves, the only ones it has is smash attacks really, but having an obscenely powerful dsmash that comes out on frame 9 definitely helps.

Is there potential? Definitely, but I don't think she'll be dominating the whole cast. If you give people time to learn the matchup, I assure you she won't be top of the line material or anything lIke that.
I have to disagree, I think this character with customs destroys most/all of mid tier and lower, but loses pretty hard to a few top tier MUs like Fox and Rosalini. Similar to Brawl Dedede really.

~hence cancer~

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
"Powershield everything" is a horrible argument and you know it. Can you even powershield down B 2 because of it's multihit properties?
Down B 2 does not have multi hit properties, you're thinking of the Grenade. And no its not :U, it's a pretty good tool against this character, at least I think anyways.
I'm not so sure about Bomb Drop's end lag; I'm actually doing this things frame data right now which is why I'm here. Flame Pillar upsets me greatly because of how it covers literally everything when used perfectly on the ledge.
When used in the air you've got a fair amount of end lag, especially since a lot of heavy hitting moves destroy / clang through the bomb, but it may just be for disjoints iunno for sure.
And yes Flame Pillar is pretty good for edge guards, nobody will use it over the missiles though because of how stupid amazing the homing on those are.

Bowser's can't armor anything of Gunners.
I feel inclined to disagree but w/e.

Regarding KO moves, the only ones it has is smash attacks really, but having an obscenely powerful dsmash that comes out on frame 9 definitely helps.
Unless the first hit sends the opponent past the second hit or when they tech before the second hit lands, it's a pretty potent kill move I agree.

I have to disagree, I think this character with customs destroys most/all of mid tier and lower, but loses pretty hard to a few top tier MUs like Fox and Rosalini. Similar to Brawl Dedede really.

~hence cancer~
you gotta let people experiment before making assumptions tho IMO

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
So my data here for down B 2 is that there's a 2% hit (Contact) and then a 9% hit (Explosion), both with +6 extra shield damage (OBSCENE), i dont know how it interacts with powershields though

I feel inclined to disagree but w/e.
He definitely does not, lol

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So my data here for down B 2 is that there's a 2% hit (Contact) and then a 9% hit (Explosion), both with +6 extra shield damage (OBSCENE), i dont know how it interacts with powershields though
okay that is definitely absurd lol
He definitely does not, lol
I know Dedede can armor through some things, I'm sure Bowser can too :\

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Down B 2 literally 2 shots shields.

What would Dedede armor through stuff with? Up B? Bowser doesn't have super armor on any of his moves and tough guy isn't strong enough to armor through anything gunner has.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Hmm.. I know there's been instances when Dedede's just gone through things. Ah well, I may be mistaking it for something else. I'm drawing blanks right now, but judging the current PST I'm probably in no good position trying to think back right now haha.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Did a little testing on gunner's shield pressure. While I didn't cover everything possible, missiles/bombs can really damage shields, and grenades/tilts add a little chip damage.

Top Bottom