• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guinness World Record! **SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED**

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
So on January 14-15, 2012, a group of smashers in Memphis, TN will be attempting to break the Guinness World Record for "Longest Videogames Marathon Playing a Fighting Game." The list of participants will include IHaveSpaceBalls, ZZZ, OG, and Five!

Right now the record is held by a few guys who played Mortal Kombat on the PS3 for 32 hours, 5 minutes, and 47 seconds. These smashers are shooting for 36 hours! The whole thing will be recorded and Melee will make history once again!

Right now, ZZZ, OG, and Five are practicing for the record by performing a 24 hour marathon of Melee antics that will be live and streamed online! Check them out at http://www.twitch.tv/meleememphistv and get on the chat to give them some encouragement, goof off, cause chaos, or whatever tickles your fancy.

More info:

Beat!

Smash Master
Lol, imagine if some of their friends called them the day after the session and asked if they were in for some smash. They'd be like "**** YOU", haha.

Best of luck to them.

kevo

Smash Journeyman
Gonna be some world-class tech-chasing going on during the 35th hour, lol. Good luck to you, and I hope to see it in the book!

The Star King

Smash Hero
YAWN. Sounds like my average weekend :troll:

I thought Guinness stopped doing marathons like this because of health issues or something?

P-99

Smash Cadet
i bet half of the community could do this easily =D

good luck anyway =)

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Lol@people saying they could do this. I don't think you guys realize how hard this would be. I guess it depends if they get to take shifts and sleep and ****. Probably not, otherwise you could easily do it infinitely.

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
I wish I had enough time off work with my buddies I'd love to try this i'm always the last one still wanting to play normally because either they are to tired. I still don't think smoking and smash works togeteher other than as falcon.

also any smasher with mewtwo can do this.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Lol@people saying they could do this. I don't think you guys realize how hard this would be. I guess it depends if they get to take shifts and sleep and ****. Probably not, otherwise you could easily do it infinitely.
Basically anyone can play but 1 person has to play THE WHOLE TIME. ZZZ will be playing for the duration of the event. Any of us can join in, but the people listed on the photo will probably be the main ones playing with ZZZ. So ZZZ is the one who is playing for 24 hours today. He is allowed Bathroom breaks, food, etc.... So that's kind of nice... the problem is any time taken for those breaks does not count towards the record.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
this is definitely possible...
the longest ive played melee continuously is 12 hours...
and i wasnt even tired when i stopped...
they just kicked us off the tv at our dorm lobby >.>

Stratford

Smash Champion
You should have to play game boy when you stop to take a dump for it to count.

But yea good luck! I have faith.

Metà

Smash Master
melee is like, the most intense game you could play for that length of time. their hands aren't going to work for weeks, haha

mad props for doing this though, i really hope they succeed

Beat!

Smash Master
I don't think those of you who say "I've already done this" or "this is easy" really understand the conditions for this record.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
No one said they had to keep playing 4 stock epic matches. Just goof around with Falcon dittos, hyrule matches, items, tiny/small melee, etc.

Like Guinness would even notice.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lol, by hour 20 they are just gonna be falcon punching.
by hour 30 it'll just be jabs.
by 35 they'll be playing sheik.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
They finished the 24hrs like one half hour ago.

Will try to add some ideas to make it easier, use them if you want to.
Something I think that might work for you getting more excited and "rewake" is that play some special kind of matches every time you are starting a new hour! (like a single FFA game in an hour(that counts), that has randomed characters, random stage and gives the player who wins a point, most points when 36hrs has gone wins or something^^

Making the goal smaller(just more stimulating and rewarding) just to play that one hour game instead of going for the big goal of 36hrs.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
wow really the record is really that low, i think u got this no problem. this doesnt have to be one continuous match or anything right?

anyway GL

edit: i think with 5 people this is kinda easy, since worst comes to worst some can sleep while others play, and u can eat while others play. and who here who is of collage age or older not stayed up many days in a row. i think this is something they will be able to reach.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Basically anyone can play but 1 person has to play THE WHOLE TIME. ZZZ will be playing for the duration of the event. Any of us can join in, but the people listed on the photo will probably be the main ones playing with ZZZ. So ZZZ is the one who is playing for 24 hours today. He is allowed Bathroom breaks, food, etc.... So that's kind of nice... the problem is any time taken for those breaks does not count towards the record.
wait so this is saying ZZZ has to be playing for the whole time? but he can take food and bathroom breaks.

also beat , even if it is low it could be the record. it just depends on how often people try to break the record.

I still think they got this

Top Bottom