• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to Running Custom Builds Larger Than 2GB On Dolphin

Kapedani

Smash Apprentice
Update: Rukario on Reddit has made a program that makes it easier to make a Brawl ISO with custom music

I've seen a few people ask if it is possible to run custom builds over 2GB on Dolphin. The problem with builds over 2GB on Dolphin is that Dolphin cannot emulate SDHC cards. I thought about a workaround and it ended up working very well. It involves putting files from a custom build on the Brawl ISO itself to alleviate space on the Virtual SD Card and thus making everything fit under 2GB. The reason why you can’t put the full build on an ISO is that alt stages wouldn’t be accessible as alt stages must load from an SD Card. Here’s a step-by-step guide of what I did to make it work:

1. Get a NTSC Brawl ISO.
  2. Download Peppy Fiddle by Rukario. This software allows you to make your own custom ISO
  3. Extract the contents of the rar file
  4. Because music is what typically takes up the most space in a build and because it is easiest to copy over, I would advise that you insert your music in the game files so you can delete all the music in your virtual SD Card which will alleviate space. Copy your pf folder into an empty folder, then delete every folder inside but the sound folder. Move the pf folder to the Peppy Fiddle folder created after extracting the Peppy Fiddle rar file.
  5. Open your Brawl ISO with PeppyFiddle.bat and follow the instructions. The end result will produce a WBFS file that is essentially vanilla Brawl with your custom music.
  6. After this, all the steps to run PM on Dolphin are the same. Open ‘Dolphin’. Go to File -> Browse for ISOs. Select the Folder the RSBE01 (Custom) Iso is in. This will make your custom Brawl appear under the the Game Library. Right click on the custom Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Set As Default Iso.
  7. Compile your 2GB Virtual SD Card the same way you would before with WinImage except now you can remove all the files in projectm/pf/sound/strm as the files are already on your Brawl Iso. This should alleviate tremendous amounts of space, now there is room for other stuff like stages and costumes from your normally 2GB+ Build.
Old Method
  1. Get a NTSC Brawl ISO.
  2. Download QtWitGui. This software allows you to convert the ISO into FST format (file and folder format so it is easy to drag and drop files) and back to ISO.
  3. Extract the contents of the rar file and open up QtWitGui.exe.
  4. Go to View -> Settings. Click on wit. Navigate towards the folder QtWitGui.exe is in. Click on the bin folder, find wit and double-click it. Then click on wwt. Find wtt in the bin folder and double-click it. Click Ok.
  5. Go to File -> OpenGame. Double-click on your Brawl Iso.
  6. Go to File -> Save As. Checkmark ‘Use an Existing Partition’ and enter a directory of where you want the converted game folder to be (eg. E:/User/ProjectM.) DON'T SELECT A HARDDRIVE ITSELF (eg. E:/ or C:/) OR YOU WILL RUN INTO PROBLEMS. Under Keep Partitions checkmark all the boxes, if you don’t then once you run the game through Gecko you will get the error ‘Please insert the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Disc. Click on the dropdown menu beside container and select ‘fst’. You’re window should look like this. Then click ‘Ok’. It will now create a converted game folder.
  7. When it is finished converting, close QtWitGui. You will see a folder called RSBE01 created at the specified directory which is a folder where you can access all the game files easily. Go to RSBE01/DATA/files. This is where all the relevant files are kept, it will look similar to the projectm/pf folder.
  8. Because music is what typically takes up the most space in a build and because it is easiest to copy over, I would advise that you insert your music in the game files so you can delete all the music in your virtual SD Card which will alleviate space. Copy all the files in projectm/pf/sound/strm from your build and place it in RSBE01/DATA/files/sound/strm replacing any file that it asks you to. This will make your music play directly from the Brawl disc.
  9. Open up QtWitGui again. This time click on File -> Open Partition. Click on Manual Search. Find the RSBE01 folder, click on it once then click select folder. It will say Reading for a bit, once it stops saying Reading, click on it and press ‘OK’. You’re screen should look like this after clicking ‘OK’.
  10. Right click on ‘Super Smash Bros. Brawl’, select Copy / Convert. It will take you to a similar screen as in Step 6. Make sure an Existing Partition is checkmarked and enter a directory of where you want the converted ISO to go. **Checkmark all the boxes under Keep Partitions again.** This time beside Container, select ‘iso’. Under Iso Options checkmark the ‘Truncate iso’ box. Click ‘Ok’. It will now create an ISO based on the RSBE01 folder. When it is finished an ISO named ‘RSBE01’ will be created. This is essentially vanilla Brawl with your custom music.
  11. After this, all the steps to run PM on Dolphin are the same. Open ‘Dolphin’. Go to File -> Browse for ISOs. Select the Folder the RSBE01 Iso is in. This will make your custom Brawl appear under the the Game Library. Right click on Smash Bros. Brawl and Set As Default Iso.
  12. Compile your 2GB Virtual SD Card the same way you would before with WinImage except now you can remove all the files in projectm/pf/sound/strm as the files are already on your Brawl Iso. This should alleviate tremendous amounts of space, now there is room for other stuff like stages and costumes from your normally 2GB+ Build.

If you’re build needs even more room for some reason even after removing all the music from your virtual SD Card (which I strongly doubt considering that everything in my build fits under 1.8GB and has 450+ Stages and costumes on every slot and cBliss), then you could experiment with replacing stage files and costumes files in the RSBE01 folder to remove them in your virtual SD Card later. Of course they would probably have to follow the same rules (stages have to match module), I haven’t tested if this would work but I would assume it would. I don’t know the full limitations to this method (such as if there’s a limit to how much you can replace) but putting all the music from my build in the ISO did work for me.

Tell me if you encounter any errors during this process or if it works for you!

Last edited:

Krigeris

Smash Rookie
I followed your instructions and am still hearing home run contest in mewtwo's stadium as well as other vanilla music. Doesn't quite make much sense, didn't I over write them? Are there special options in gecko or something

Kapedani

Smash Apprentice
I followed your instructions and am still hearing home run contest in mewtwo's stadium as well as other vanilla music. Doesn't quite make much sense, didn't I over write them? Are there special options in gecko or something
That's odd, technically that should be impossible if you overwrite the files. Have you made sure after you are done making the custom ISO that you set that ISO as the default ISO?

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
Kapedani this may be a stupid question but when i get to step 7 my rsbe only has an update file and not a data one... what did i do wrong?

Kapedani

Smash Apprentice
Kapedani this may be a stupid question but when i get to step 7 my rsbe only has an update file and not a data one... what did i do wrong?
Did you make sure to checkmark update, game, channel installer and vc trials under 'Keep Partitions', and did you uncheckmark Sneek?

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
Did you make sure to checkmark update, game, channel installer and vc trials under 'Keep Partitions', and did you uncheckmark Sneek?
Yes i did everything right as far as I know but it just gives me a folder saying update...

Sorry for late Reply i was Busy

EDIT: So when i open game and open my brawl iso. it only shows a update folder could that be the reason could my iso be corrupted and or incomplete?

Last edited:

Kapedani

Smash Apprentice
Yes i did everything right as far as I know but it just gives me a folder saying update...

Sorry for late Reply i was Busy

EDIT: So when i open game and open my brawl iso. it only shows a update folder could that be the reason could my iso be corrupted and or incomplete?
Hmm interesting, does your Brawl ISO work normally when running vanilla PM? I updated the OP with a new method as Rukario developed a program that makes it easier to make the custom Brawl ISO, so maybe try if that works.

LightC

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to get this working with Brawl4All? I don't see the projectm/pf/ folder on that build. Instead, I see three folders in private\wii\app: RSBE, RSB2, and RSB3. Each of these folders has a pf folder in it. Do I just need to combine the sound folders in each of the 3 RSB folders and use that for the pf folder that gets merged to the ISO with Peppy Fiddle?

Top Bottom