• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to Meteor Smashes in Brawl

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Guide to Meteor Smashes in Brawl

If I missed anything or made any mistakes, please tell me. If you have a better or clearer description for a sweetspot, also tell me. This stuff is pretty obvious, but it's a nice resource.

Use ctrl+F and type in your character's name to find their list of meteors. Some characters do not have meteors.

In case you didn't know:

Spike- An attack that sends theopponent directly downwards until hitstun wears off and cannot be canceled. These do not exist in Brawl - explained below.

Meteor Smash- An attack that sends theopponent directly downwards until hitstun wears off or until it has been meteor-canceled.

Stall-then-fall - An attack that sends the user directly downwards until hitlag wears off. Some stall-then-falls are spikes if they hit as the user begins their downward movement (i.e. Game and Watch or Toon Link)

Semi-spike - An attack that sends the opponent horizontally, with significant downward momentum. Semi-spikes are not technically meteors, and cannot be meteor-canceled.

Footstool Jump
- Performed by pressing jump while a short distance above your opponent, if done in the air, a Footstool Jump acts as a weak spike. Its best use is to space aerials, like Marth's or Toon Link's Dair.

Meteor-canceling

Meteor-canceling, while still present in Brawl, is performed slightly differently. In Melee, if the player uses a second or third jump immediately after being meteored, the effects of the meteor smash will cancel, and the player is given the opportunity to recover. The higher your damage, the more difficult meteor-canceling becomes, as you fly downwards at a faster rate.

The key difference to meteor-canceling in Brawl is the time at which you input your second or third jump. Much like teching, if you press X or Y too early you will be unable to meteor cancel again for a set number of frames. Rather than jumping immediately after being meteored, you must wait a set amount of time before canceling. A way to avoid this is by using your third jump (Up-B), rather than your second jump, to cancel. As Doval discovered, you can “mash Up-B as much as you like, and you’ll get a Meteor Cancel every time.” This technique works because the number of frames you must wait before meteor-canceling does not reset when you press UP on the control stick, only when you press X or Y. This works whether Tap Jump is set to on or off.

The amount of time you must wait before meteor-canceling is approximately half the time it takes for hitstun to naturally wear off your character. BE CAREFUL: In Melee, all characters could meteor-cancel with their jumps, but the same does not hold true in Brawl. Pit, and possibly other characters with multiple jumps, cannot meteor-cancel with his second jump or Up-B. Also of note is that it is possible to meteor-cancel with a tether that is not a third jump (i.e. Lucas’ grab).

At this point assume that all spikes are Meteor Smashes. Why? My theory is that spikes were unintentionally a part of Melee. There are only five true spikes in Melee. Captain Falcon’s D-air only spiked at the nipple, whereas it is a meteor everywhere else on the hitbox. Roy, who usually sweetspots at the center of his sword, spikes at the tip of his U-Smash. Marth’s D-air spike was removed from the PAL version of Melee, and replaced with a Meteor Smash. It is possible Melee spikes were only a result of developer oversight while coding the conditions for a Meteor Smash to be canceled.

Sakurai, and the HAL team, do not distinguish between spikes and meteors in either game. On the Smash Bros. DOJO, Sakurai does not indicate that there are any other techniques that send the opponent directly downward, that also behave differently than Meteor Smashes. While there have been many examples thus far of developer error in Brawl’s engine, it seems unlikely they would neglect to include meteor-canceling on all Meteor Smashes. This just means you’ll have to get used to the new meteor-cancel system. When you’re edgeguarding off the stage, at times it may be more advantageous to use a semi-spike, which cannot be meteor-canceled.

List of Meteor Smashes

King Dedede

Up-B, Super Dedede Jump;
Spikes:
Anywhere on Dedede’s underside during his descent.

Diddy Kong

D-air;
Spikes:
Diddy’s fists.

Over-B, Monkey Flip;
Spikes:
Press jump after latching on, Diddy will kick downwards.

Up-B, Rocketbarrel Boost;
Spikes:
When used directly above opponent, flames.

DK

D-air;
Spikes:
Entire hitbox as he stomps down.

F-air;
Spikes:
The last several frames, as his fists reach the bottom of the arc.

Over-B, Head Butt;
Spikes:
His head. Has the same properties as the Pitfall item.

Captain Falcon

D-air;
Spikes:
If Falcon is directly above the opponent, his legs as he stomps downwards. No longer spikes at the nipple.

Over-B, Raptor Boost;
Spikes:
Falcon will push the opponent downwards, allowing him to retain some horizontal movement in the air.

Charizard

D-air;
Spikes:
Slowly, at the feet.

B-air;
Spikes:
As his tail sweeps downward, the flame at the tip spikes.

Falco

D-air;
Spikes:
At the knees. Must sweetspot.

Over-B, Falco Phantasm;
Spikes:
As Falco moves horizontally.

Fox

D-air;
Spikes:
At the legs, very weak spike.

Ganondorf

D-air;
Spikes:
Entire hitbox as he stomps downwards.

Over-B, Flame Choke;
Spikes:
As soon as Ganondorf grabs your opponent, he automatically spikes downward.

Down-B, Wizard’s Foot;
Spikes:
Stall-then-fall, during first few frames of downward kick.

Ice Climbers

F-air;
Spikes:
Only Nana’s hammer, must have both Ice Climbers.

Ike

D-tilt;
Spikes:
Entire blade while slashing the ground.

D-air;
Spikes:
The entire blade in the initial frames, as he first thrusts his blade down.

Up-B, Aether;
Spikes:
On downward slash.

Neutral-B, Eruption;
Spikes:
At the tip.

Ivysaur

D-air;
Spikes:
The initial hitbox (bulb), before gas comes out.

N-air;
Spikes:
Bottom of body, i.e. lower stomach, back legs, bottom part of leaves.

Kirby

D-air;
Spikes:
Middle of Kirby’s feet.

Up-B, Final Cutter;
Spikes:
On downward slash.

Link

D-tilt;
Spikes:
Entire blade while sweeping ground.

Lucas

D-air;
Spikes:
The hexagon created by the fourth downward kick.

B-air;
Spikes:
The kick arcs downwards, at the bottom of that arc.

D-tilt;
Spikes:
Entire hitbox, weak spike.

Luigi

D-air;
Spikes:
At Luigi’s back.

D-taunt;
Spikes:
The kicking animation.

Mario

F-air;
Spikes:
During the last few frames of the attack, when Mario's fist becomes big.

Marth

D-air;
Spikes:
At the tip. Must sweetspot.

U-tilt;
Spikes:
Back of the sword, must not sweetspot.

Over-B, Dancing Blade;
Spikes:
Third strike, downward (green) option.

Mr. Game and Watch

D-air;
Spikes:
Stall-then-fall, at very close range.

Ness

D-air;
Spikes:
Entire hitbox on startup. Dair also has a hitbox late in the move with strong horizontal knockback.

D-tilt;
Spikes:
Entire hitbox, weak spike.

Peach

D-tilt;
Spikes:
At her hand, not her arm.

Pit

D-tilt;
Spikes:
Any part of Pit's lower body.

R.O.B.

D-air;
Spikes:
Directly below him, at the flames.

Samus

D-air;
Spikes:
Samus' entire forearm as it sweeps downward.

Snake

F-air;
Spikes:
At the heel during the entire arc.

Taunt (All);
Spikes:
Once the box has been thrown off, if the opponent is tethered, ledgehogging, or recovering from below the stage.

Sonic

U-Smash;
Spikes:
At apex of jump.

Toon Link

D-air;
Spikes:
Stall-then-fall, spikes at the tip of the blade during the first few frames (as long as the hilt glows).

Wario

Over-B, Wario Bike;
Spikes:
If thrown, acts as a weak spike, hitting multiple times forcing your opponent downwards. Can be DIed out of in some situations.

Wolf

D-air;
Spikes:
At his arms as they thrust downwards.

Over-B, Wolf Flash;
Spikes:
As Wolf ends his horizontal movement.

Yoshi

F-air;
Spikes:
At Yoshi’s head.

D-air;
Spikes:
During any of the flutter kicks.

Zelda

D-tilt;
Spikes:
At the thigh. From knee to foot will not spike.

D-air;
Spikes:
Entire hitbox; sweetspot at the toe.

Zero Suit Samus

D-air;
Spikes:
Stall-then-fall, spikes at extended leg.

Down-B, Flip Jump;
Spikes:
Press any attack button while the character model is flashing, Zamus will stick out her leg and spike at the entire hitbox in the first few frames.

Up-B, Plasma Wire;
Spikes:
At the tip when fully extended, pulls opponent downwards.

Semi-spikes

C. Falcon

U-air;
Spikes:
In the last few frames.

F-air;
Spikes:
In the last few frames.

Fox

Down-B, Reflector (Shine);
Spikes:
Any edge of the hexagon.

Ganondorf

U-air;
Spikes:
In the last few frames.

Marth

D-tilt;
Spikes:
At the tip.

Metaknight

F-air;
Spikes:
At the tip, during the last slash. Very difficult to sweetspot.

D-air;
Spikes:
As blade sweeps beneath him.

Mr. Game and Watch

Neutral-B, Chef;
Spikes:
In the first few frames, as he takes out his pan.

Ness

B-air;
Spikes:
At the feet.

Dash attack;
Spikes:
First two sparks. Ledgedash makes this easier.

Olimar

Up-B, Pikmin Chain;
Spikes:
The top Pikmin when recovering diagonally.

D-air;
Spikes:
The first few frames as he puts the Pikmin diagonally below him.

Peach

F-Smash;
Spikes:
With golf club or tennis racket.

Pikachu

U-air;
Spikes:
The tip of the tail as it’s above Pikachu.

Sheik

F-air;
Spikes:
Hitbox.

Yoshi

D-tilt;
Spikes:
The tip of his tail. Large hitbox.

Zelda

Up-B, Farore's Wind;
Spikes:
As she reappears.

D-smash;
Spikes:
Hitbox.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
Toon Link

D-air;
Spikes: Stall-then-fall, spikes anywhere on the blade.
Doesn't Toon Link's D-air only spike when the blade just comes out or is it when the opponent is very close?

I don't try to spike with the Dair much since it's suicidal. >.>

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Doesn't Toon Link's D-air only spike when the blade just comes out or is it when the opponent is very close?

I don't try to spike with the Dair much since it's suicidal. >.>
Yeah, it only spikes during the first few frames. It might be as long as the tip glows. I'm not sure, I'll have to test it.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
captain falcon's forward b can spike i the air im not sure if its during certain frames or whatever. im not sure if his down b does but it might because it did in melee.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
captain falcon's forward b can spike i the air im not sure if its during certain frames or whatever. im not sure if his down b does but it might because it did in melee.
I wasn't sure whether Over-B was a real spike or semi-spike. I'll add it anyway. I don't think his Down-B spikes.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
Falcon's Side B can spike. If the person's standing close enough to the edge, I've seen it take them down off the stage on Smashville and Lylat Cruise. I don't know if it was a glitch or they were moving forward or something of that nature..

Yeah, it only spikes during the first few frames. It might be as long as the tip glows. I'm not sure, I'll have to test it.
Thanks for the input. :)

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
c. falcon's down b doesn't spike i just asumed it did because most spikes from melee are back.

toon link seems to be able to spike during the frames the hilt shines just like his up air has more knockback and damage while the hilt shines. ( it seems like the hilt shines not the tip unless the spark/shine does not move and stays in place after the moves are initiated.)

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure DDD also has a spike in the beginning of his up B when he bring bothhands down in a sweetspot.

With G&W you have to pretty much be inside someone to spike them.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
you don't have ivysor(spelled wrong maybe) and he/she has a spike on it's down air. the sweet spot is in the bulb at the begining of the attack. look in one of the p. trainer guides as i can't link to it on the wii.

Browny

Smash Hater
sonics upsmash spikes everyone for a given % range when used on the stage. it may not technically be a spike, but it is indeed capable of sending enemies who happen to be in that % range at a very high angle off the stage.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
For diddy kong,you can put the Up B as if you have the barells directly above the opponenet (not on) they will be spike, and for olimar (although hard) the Up B with a red pikmin at the end (at least he was there when i did it, but not to sure about color ) if the pikMAN hits at the uppermost part of the opponent it will spike them. So think of it almost as if the pikmin "whip" is covering more than half the opponent. (i'll try to get some vids up... )

kamekasu

Smash Ace
sonics upsmash spikes everyone for a given % range when used on the stage. it may not technically be a spike, but it is indeed capable of sending enemies who happen to be in that % range at a very high angle off the stage.
I don't think so. It has weak vertical knockback.

for olimar (although hard) the Up B with a red pikmin at the end (at least he was there when i did it, but not to sure about color ) if the pikMAN hits at the uppermost part of the opponent it will spike them. So think of it almost as if the pikmin "whip" is covering more than half the opponent. (i'll try to get some vids up... )
I'd like to see a video of that. I'm not sure I understand how it works. When you hit with the Red Pikmin at the end it works the same as if you hit them on the ground; they take some fire damage and are knocked back a short distance.

Nice, but you forgot Charizard's Bair : His wings spike.
I don't think the wings are even part of the hitbox.

I'm pretty sure Sonic's Dair doesn't spike. I've tried. If I'm wrong than I'm extremely happy but I don't believe it does at all.
It's a stall-then-fall, it'll spike if you hit before moving downwards.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
I'd like to see a video of that. I'm not sure I understand how it works. When you hit with the Red Pikmin at the end it works the same as if you hit them on the ground; they take some fire damage and are knocked back a short distance.
I don't have video proof, yet, as that match had lasted like 6 or 7 minutes and brawl only records 3. But i don't blame you for not understanding. I'll try and break it down: I was playing a DK, he was in the air and i had all pikmin available 9 as in the most you can have 6 or 7 idk) the red one was on the end of the upB ( dk was all fiery red when we was spiked). And what happened was... (lol) when i used the upB i was on the stage (battlefield) on the third farthest right platform i used it and it hit Dk at the highest part of the head, his little curly thing or around there, and he was spiked it was really crazy and me and my friend were like "cool" but i'm positive it's a spike. It worked similar to the way the illusions on the spacies works it hits and sends them directly downward... hence the spike

Kayzee said:
Diddy's rocketbarrel boost can spike if you fire it while right on top of your opponent.
JonBeBonanza said:
For diddy kong,you can put the Up B as if you have the barells directly above the opponenet (not on) they will be spike
It helps to read previous pages to see if what you are posting has alread been posted... especially when it's one page away. >_>

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
For Zelda's dair:

It doesn't have to sweetspot in order for her to spike. A sourspotted dair can stil spike, but less powerful.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
I don't have video proof, yet, as that match had lasted like 6 or 7 minutes and brawl only records 3. But i don't blame you for not understanding. I'll try and break it down: I was playing a DK, he was in the air and i had all pikmin available 9 as in the most you can have 6 or 7 idk) the red one was on the end of the upB ( dk was all fiery red when we was spiked). And what happened was... (lol) when i used the upB i was on the stage (battlefield) on the third farthest right platform i used it and it hit Dk at the highest part of the head, his little curly thing or around there, and he was spiked it was really crazy and me and my friend were like "cool" but i'm positive it's a spike. It worked similar to the way the illusions on the spacies works it hits and sends them directly downward... hence the spike
I don't use Olimar often, but if you edgeguard with Up-B facing the stage it can stage spike.

metroid1117

Smash Master
You should add that Captain Falcon's side+B only spikes in the air. Also, Mario's FAir can send the opponent up if you don't hit with the later part of the attack, so it's not just "at the fist" Good list though..

KhannKlan

Smash Cadet
The irony! A couple weeks ago there was a post complaining about the difference between spikes and meteor smashes. Almost everything you listed there was a meteor smash.

A couple actual spikes I can think of atm..

Zelda's dair when timed correctly
Marth's tipped dair
Ness' dair I believe..

The difference is that a spike is pretty much an insta kill since there is no way to escape it, the game disallows your second jump. Meteor smashes are easily escaped by jumping, which stops most momentum and allows you to move about again.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was playing Zelda the other day and I did her up-b and I reappeared close to (maybe directly over?) my opponent and they got spiked. Maybe it was a fluke, but I think if you position it just right it can spike. I'd test it now but someone is borrowing meh Brawl right now :/

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
I use pit and im not sure about that dair spiking almost always when I use it it pops them up

Maybe im just not hitting the sweet spot?

Id like to see a video of that one.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Pit's D-air definitely doesn't spike. Pit's D-Tilt on the other hand does do a spike if they touch his lower body.

Sonic's Up-smash does spike. There was a video showing it, but I can't find it at the moment.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
The irony! A couple weeks ago there was a post complaining about the difference between spikes and meteor smashes. Almost everything you listed there was a meteor smash.

Marth's tipped dair
Ness' dair I believe..

The difference is that a spike is pretty much an insta kill since there is no way to escape it, the game disallows your second jump. Meteor smashes are easily escaped by jumping, which stops most momentum and allows you to move about again.
In Melee, both spikes and meteor-smashes send your opponent downward. Meteors could be 'meteor-canceled' by pressing Up-B or jump within a few frames of being hit.

There is a difference between Melee and Brawl. I already explained this in the first post. You cannot meteor-cancel any 'meteors' in Brawl. This effectively makes any meteors from Melee, spikes in Brawl.

Pit's D-air definitely doesn't spike. Pit's D-Tilt on the other hand does do a spike if they touch his lower body.

Sonic's Up-smash does spike. There was a video showing it, but I can't find it at the moment.
Fixed.

GBcrazy

Smash Rookie

Marth's tipped dair
Ness' dair I believe..

There aren't more diferences between meteor smashes and spikes, because METEOR CANCELLING is not in brawl. The terms 'spike' and 'meteor smash' are now the same thing

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Why have you listed Sonic's Dair as a spike? It will send at a low angle but not a downward angle.

Cero

Smash Lord
GBcrazy; said:
There aren't more diferences between meteor smashes and spikes, because METEOR CANCELLING is not in brawl. The terms 'spike' and 'meteor smash' are now the same thing
!!!
mmm-I wasn't aware of this change in the melee to brawl transition...
well...I guess it would make sense for the directors to take out meteor smashes out of brawl since it's become a great deal easier to recover from off the stage compared to it's predecessor...so I guess spikes are the new replacements for "combos"? :dizzy:

Atercholo

Smash Rookie
Dude, why didn't lucario make it into your list? I found no mention of him on there.

Top Bottom