• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Guide to getting better

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
  • Hit the lab and find your best pokes (least lag overall, fastest startup, range).
  • Practice your combos (can be found in combo dojo too)
  • Know all the properties of all your moves
  • Yellow screen flash indicates frame advantage
  • Know the exceptions to the triangle
  • This quote: "Frame data is the type of thing you can feel out on your own and play without for a good while, but it is definitely necessary if you want to be even the least bit competitive. The biggest things that come out of frame data are punishes. In SCV, the standard speed of a launcher is i18 (that means that 18 frames after you press 3B, your launcher hits). That means that if a move is -18 or worse (like -20 or -40) in any situation, then your opponent can launch you guaranteed, almost like you're setting up their combo for them.

Frame data still has a lot of other uses, though. Again, using SCV numbers since we don't have Pokken ones yet, moves that are -4 and -10 on block are considered 'safe', which means that you don't have to worry about your opponent blocking them. However, if you are at -4, you may want to consider using another attack for more pressure, but if you're at -10, you better be holding that guard button.

More in depth rundown ahead:

In SCV, there are 3 main numbers players care about. This differs from game to game, but since Pokken is a Namco fighter, and from my own analysis of match videos, Pokken will probably care about the same exact 3 numbers. These are impact frames, on hit, and on block.
    Impact frames, usually noted as ixx (xx being the number in question), are the amount of frames it takes for a move to come out. For example, a standard 2A is i13. That means that 13 frames after you press down and A, it hits your opponent (or gets blocked or whatever).
    On hit frames, usually noted as +xx, are the amount of frames that your opponent is still in hit stun after your move connects. Back to 2A, the standard is for it to be +8 on hit. That means if 2A hits, you recover 8 frames faster and can do whatever you want before your opponent does. If you use a move immediately (the timing is not strict at all. Most games nowadays use a buffer to let you spam the input and be fine), it is winding up during those frames that your opponent is recovering. This means that if you use a 2A, get a hit, and go for another 2A, it is now effectively i5. This is what we call advantage, and as you can probably tell, ADVANTAGE IS REALLY GOOD.
    On block frames, usually noted as -xx, are essentially the opposite of on hit frames. These are the amount of frames you are recovering after your opponent blocks your attack. Again to 2A, the standard is for it to be -6 on block. If we go back to the previous example, let’s say you use a 2A, get blocked, and go for another 2A. This attack is now lagging 6 frames behind and is effectively i19. That’s slower than the standard launcher I mentioned earlier. This is disadvantage.

Advantage and disadvantage are two sides of the same coin. If you are +8, your opponent is -8. If you are -6, your opponent is +6. This means two things. First, when someone is at advantage, neither player is in neutral, this nebulous state where things aren’t exactly clear. Second, when someone is at advantage, it is effectively their turn. When it is your turn, you press buttons and do things. When it is not your turn, you hold guard and don’t do anything. If you do not follow these rules, it is said that you are ‘disrespecting’ your opponent. It is considered bad fundamentals to disrespect a lot and whenever you feel like it. However, high level players disrespect each other all the time. The difference is they are doing it with purpose. Moves are not just damage and frames. They can have special evasive properties, or go through attacks. Because Pokken has block attacks, there will be much more purposeful disrespect in high level play of Pokken than in Tekken or Soulcalibur.

These are the bare bones basics of frame data. If you want to know more, look up stuff on google for other tutorials like this. This is such a fundamental concept of fighting games that you can find this everywhere."
  • Frame data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/108awMgIuD21L0d1SQneG9w3KOyzwmWQ8335mkrOmm54/htmlview# (incomplete though).
  • ???
  • Profit

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Thank you for this. I knew that knowing frame data was much more important in 3d fighting games than in Smash, but until now I never understood how to tell if something was safe unless it was positive on block.

Once I'm home from college, I'll read that tutorial you linked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom