• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Guide to Donkey Kong

otg

Smash Master
Probably aerial. This doesn't seem that practical for DK. Sheik has the threat of unleashing a projectile on you while charging, which leads to more **** for her based on the circumstances. What is DK threatening besides being a huge fat target with no real means of retaliation?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah, that's a fakeout on people thinking he's going to grounded needle or something, canceling it, then dashing in and grabbing. otg put it well enough.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
9 1/2 charge, run and short hop forward, turn around with your charge to act like you're just using it to set up a b air, and then it should just about instantly stop, so without cancelling, just let it finish and change directions again to unleash it. Basically, you start facing forward, turn around with the charge that should complete while still in the air, then right before you hit the ground, you turn around again with the punch when it's at full charge. The range surprises people every time

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That reminds me, I should test to see if partial swings are stored or if only the charge is only stored every 12 frames.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
It's set up perfectly when you first spawn. Since you don't have enough time to do a full charge anyway, you can stop when you're no longer invincible and then use the setup i mentioned. I would, however, not use it right away. Since you won't be steaming, there's a good chance that your opponent will forget that you have a charge before long or will assume that you lost it. That's one of the other good things about having a 9 charge rather than a full. There's no steam to remind them to look out for the giant punch.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
That reminds me, I should test to see if partial swings are stored or if only the charge is only stored every 12 frames.
Oh, and I'm going to have to say it probably is stored, because when you do what I mentioned, the charge is done pretty much instantly. I could be wrong though. *shrugs*

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I feel like yelling "KONG PUNCH" out loud when you're steaming and then just grabbing them in their timid shield could be a great mindgame.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Partial Giant Punch swings are not stored. Charge is stored every 12 frames.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Almost missed out because the thread hasn't been active in the lasth month. Glad I found this.
Is this the final edit on the B-moves?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm working on some **** for this. I doubt the B-moves are done.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
They're very situational. I've managed side b -> upsmash on escape before.
Down-B is just something to keep in mind. it does have ridiculous horizontal range.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
I'm too scared of the retribution for a missed hand slap to use it. Even with the range in mind.
The developpers of Melee sure overdid the lag on side- and down-b. :urg:

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Side b is good for stalling in the air...that's it...If you're on kongo jungle 64 and know the barrel is coming, you can use it to stall until the barrel is close enough to reach. Similar story on brinstar. If you know you won't make it back, you can stall until the lava/acid/whatever the hell that stuff is rises up so you can get hit back upward for it. Other than that, it sucks bawls

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This will be done before the end of the summer. If it isn't, I simply don't deserve to use Donkey Kong.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Timeline:
-Jan 3th: the beginning
-Jan 4th: Intro and Ground Moves covered, moving onto Aerials
-Jan 8th: updated Ground moves and Aerials
-Jan 17th: Special Moves added
-June 30th: inital Strong Bad edit
So wait, what did you exactly update? Bit of everything?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
d-throw fox/falco/falcon/sheik near the edge. > down B = frame trap

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
d-throw fox/falco/falcon/sheik near the edge. > down B = frame trap
Why not just cargo down-throw off the edge, then stand there and edgeguard with something like down-tilt?

I mean, it's a nice mixup, but there are definitely better options than a Down B there.

I generally just use down B when my opponent missed a tech on one side of a platform and out of range from a getup attack, so it always hits, or missed tech near the edge.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah Ripple you get a downb hit but what do you get after that?

also real talk Ripple is a substantially better DK than I am.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Why not just cargo down-throw off the edge, then stand there and edgeguard with something like down-tilt?

I mean, it's a nice mixup, but there are definitely better options than a Down B there.
edgeguard with d-tilt? you must be new. DK only should edge guard with bair and up-b. otherwise he'll get hit because nothing he has is disjointed.

and I use down-b when I don't know which way they'll tech.

yeah Ripple you get a downb hit but what do you get after that?

also real talk Ripple is a substantially better DK than I am.
down-b leads to up-b on yoshi's or fountain or FD.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
D-tilt edgeguard isn't that bad.
I love it vs Falcon/Ganon, helps them **** up sweetspotting for a free semi charged fsmash

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
edgeguard with d-tilt? you must be new. DK only should edge guard with bair and up-b. otherwise he'll get hit because nothing he has is disjointed.

and I use down-b when I don't know which way they'll tech.

down-b leads to up-b on yoshi's or fountain or FD.
I must be new too, because I edgeguard with d tilt a lot too. lol. But seriously, d tilt is good against certain characters in certain situations. It's great for disrupting falcon/ganon's recovery. It's nearly impossible for them to sweetspot it to the point where d titlt doesn't hit. It also disrupts fox/falco's illusion very well, along with any other character that has a tough up b to sweet spot. And hell, moves don't have to be disjointed to be good edgeguarding moves. I edgeguard with n air from time to time. lol

*edit- Btw, Imo, you should never be down throwing fox/falco/falcon/sheik or just about any other character with MAYBE the exception of the super floaty like jiggz or luigi or something. B throw and cargo u throw are ALWAYS a better option. They can lead into edgeguarding or guaranteed kills while d throw leads to just about nothing guaranteed besides the 11 damage they'll take from the down b...which is a terrible trade off, and you're not likely getting another move after that unless they land on a platform or are completely ********. Granted, mixups are always important to a degree, but unless you're feeling very confident, i wouldn't. Btw, my favorite thing to do out of d throw is jump forward (mindgaming them to think that you think that they're just going to roll forward), and do a turn around giant punch and catch them as the "wake up".

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Hey I like cargo Dthrow.

Cargo Dthrow is probably the most broken thing vs Falcon/Sheik/bad recoveries.

They are forced to double jump + Up B no matter what, even at 0% because the knockback is set, so you can just continue to harass them. Same story goes with Fox/Falco but they are soo fast and tricky. RockCrock is a good example, tried it on Colbol's Fox, almost got the kill, but Fox is too damn tricky.

From 0%, you can grab a Falcon or Sheik, take em to the edge, cargo dthrow, grab the edge, and watch as they are forced to double jump + Up B (sheik can air dodge) onto the stage and land right in front of you, just to get regrabbed, aerial'd, whatever.

Against characters with Up B moves that are basically only upwards (Mario, Marth, etc.), you can just ledge drop into an Up B when you grab the edge after a cargo dthrow. You can just do it over and over till they eventually die (assuming you start this at bascially 0%).

Keep in mind you need to turn around and wavedash back to grab the edge as fast as possible after you throw, or else sheik will catch on with a quick DJ F-air.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I tried it against M2K. I had varying success against him.
BTW, cargo d-throw doesn't have set KB. It has growth. At 104% ish they start entering tumble.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I am still working on this.
and getting better at DK
so more insight <3

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Today after working on the guide for about an hour I realized that this format for a guide isn't really working for me. Melee doesn't really work like "Here's his jabs, here's when you use them, ok now here's his tilts, here's when you use them."
In other words, I'm going to mostly completely rewrite the guide focusing more on DK as an whole and how he should respond to different situations. Will also most likely be writing detailed match-up guides and if I have time some smash theory.

Top Bottom