• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Guide to Desynching: treat your opponents even more coldly

meepxzero

Smash Master
exarch said:
Oh and no the edge guard desynch is not useful, as Nana will not smash until Popo has released the edge. (unless you're desynch on an opponent on the level.) You're better off just edge hogging, or just edge guarding. Its all for show. *there is a warning about information for information's sake...
Another variation is to desynch with spot dodge and do a charge smash wit nana (my preference downsmash since its easiest to do on spot fsmash is better if ur use to doing it from desynch) and wavedash edge guard with popo plus it gives you more room to mess around if the opponent looks like hes not aiming for ledge you can do double smash (release smash for nana and immediately smash wit popo), if they go over top do a bair wit popo after u realase smash wit nana, or simply edge guard, but remember to hold a for nanas smash :laugh: The other method is not as useful as this one, but even this you have to be able to predict the opponent pixel perfect otherwise ur just better off just fsmashing them off the ledge :dizzy:

I also realize you can sumtimes desynch nana first from the double squal in their recovery and sumtimes it doesnt work can sumone clarify that with me?

rooffiss

Smash Rookie
good job

lots of fun grabbing with popo and charging f smash with nana. if you release right after the guys broken out you can get him with an almost full powered f smash

RecklessWarrior

Smash Rookie
I love this guide! It's making me want to get good with the ice climbers..though i saw somthing in that video that interested me..and if im wrong im sorry but, i don't think you posted it. How do you do the edgehog -edgeguard technique? O.o

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Great guide.

I think you missed one though:
From standing position if u smash the analog left or right and hit A at the correct time popo will do a dash attack and nana will do a forward smash, you can also hold the A ofcourse to make her charge it and follow you.

You have a 6 frame window for pressing A for this to work.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Oops, appearently it only works if you dash to the opposite direction of where ur facing....

There is another desync, its probably well known but you didnt list it:
While the stage is loading you can hold a button combination and nana will do the move when the game starts (Same as desyncing from roll, dodge, taunt etc).

Liku

Smash Journeyman
exarch said:
11. Desynch from taunt- Works the same as 1, 2, and the first part of 4. I don't know why I didn't see this before. Obviously the best way to desynch.
I just found a variation of that. Not very practical, and if it's already been posted oh well I don't care.

This desync is quite the opposite from normal desyncing since Popo gets to attack first rather than Nana. Playing around I found that if you Press and Hold Taunt, Nana keeps taunting over and over, but Popo just sits there. So you can walk around and whatnot as Nana taunts. So you can effectively wait for Nana's second taunt and attack with Popo then follow with Nana, etc.

I know, it's not practical, but it's a fun way to end the match to march along the stage with Nana following with a taunt.

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
Okay, I'm new to the Icys (as if you couldn't tell by what I'm gonna ask), but how do you get Nana to do anything when desynched while still controlling Popo?

Like during a desynch, you still control Popo, right? Unless Popo is in a grab, doing a grab, or some other distracting action, how can you tell Nana to, say, charge a smash?
I just don't get it. =/

mcc

Smash Ace
if you're desynched and grab with popo, just press down a with nana to charge a smash. if you do it too late, popo will dthrow though. this doesn't work if nana is busy doing something like blizzard while popo grabs

dj asakura

Smash Ace
this is really just a spin off of your basic spot dodge, ice block, popo dash attack.

if your opponent is close and at low damage, spot dodge, ice block, ice block, dash attack with nana, dash attack with popo (or really anything else with him) just a nifty little set up that could be used for setting things up

edit: messed around with some ice block stuff today and i'm not sure just how useful this is but maybe it could be and edge gaurd or something.

you simply desynch then ice block, the difference is with the climber that isnt your main, jump with every ice block, they jump a lower height so it could be more useful and i cant do this part consistantly but i think if you jump with the cpu climber, ice block, then jump with the main IC and ice block then jump with the other IC and iceblock again, both will ice block (one ground, one air, but i cant do it consistantly)

Eaode

Smash Champion
Someone mentioned it before, But I was really wondering.

Would it be possible to perfectly desynced up-tilts to infinitely keep the opponent trapped in the "drill" effect of it? Like while you're desynced, uptilt with Popo, and the exact right time, uptilt with Nana, Popo is still in the wind down animation from the uptilt. Then while Nana is winding down, perfectly time an uptilt with Popo again. Keep repeating. You would have to do this with perfect timing so that as soon as one of the uptilts hits with the final blow (the one with knockback), then the second uptilt starts, trapping them in again. This could be very useful if it works, and look pretty **** awesome.

Maybe I should test it with My AR, but I'll need the frame data for the uptilt so I know when to input it. It might end up being a frame perfect thing as seen in videos, or it might actually be incredibly practical.

Holy

Smash Rookie
This will really come in handy. Thank you! I will get to practicing right away.

path411

Smash Cadet
Is this #6 or did I find a new desynch?

spot dodge with popo right on landing before nana does, almost like a bit late l-cancel

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
my friend showed me a vid of desnyching ice climbers a few days ago, and i've been messin with em lately. (I'ma doc/marth player)

I kinda got the idea of waht to do from the video, but this is extremely helpful in explaining a few things (like the nanapalt)

Nice, very nice guide.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
Guide Version 2.12?
10. Guarded Desynch- Actually I found this while writing this guide: sweet. Anyways, from a standing position with the correct amount of tilting of the control stick and the right timing of the A button; it is possible to have Popo reverse directions and tilt, while Nana jabs in the original direction (demonstrated in DV.) Because the jab ends faster than the ftilt, you can have Nana do any move by herself, and have Popo do a few on his own too (from the looks of it anyways…).

*Side note 2: When wavedashing, holding the opposite direction you are facing will sometimes cause the Icy’s to use the same move but in opposite directions. Downsmash, upsmash and grab all work this way (c-stick and z). This is also a way to set up a moving guarded desynch, if you hit A instead of the c-stick and z, and is much easier to do than a standing one.
yeah i just found this one out messing around... didnt know about it before... do players actually use it?

ive found that instead of having nana doing something while popo is finishing the tilt, you can have popo do things while nana is turning. so this is a very quick and pretty unexpected way to desynch and turn at the same time, since most people expect to see a spot dodge before desnychs.

also, you should mention that double charged smashes are useful for edgeguarding. If you're not sure which way a recoverying fox is about to firefox, just charge 2 fsmashes in different directions. it looks awesome, and its better than one.

does anyone know why certain desynchs which sound like they should work, dont? imagine if you could desnynch by just crouching. like.. tap down, really fast, and then desynch off of the 6 frames. cant figure out how to get anything to work though, if anything does work.

Finally, some IC respect in the area. Who ever plays with them should check out the Frostbite video on YouTube. It's a pretty cool vid for those who just learned about Desynch. I wonder why the tournaments I have been to seems to lack IC players?

COLDshiver

Smash Cadet
Thanks for for making this guide! I have learned so much and have MUCH more appreciation for these little guys.

Top Bottom