• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Guide to Desynching: treat your opponents even more coldly

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Guide Version 2.12?

Section 1-Basics

First of all this guide is authorized to be used on Smashboards and SSBBrawl.com only, please don’t go taking this to other sites, just link them here, if you want to post this on another site, then PM me please. Also note when referring to Popo I am referring to the main Icy.

Second, this is an advanced Climbers guide, a lot of this stuff in here is information for information's sake. If you don't know the basics, DON'T READ THIS, as it will only cause confusion. Start with Undrdog's guide first.

I am pleased to inform you that there is a supplemental video named double_vision to this guide (by nealdt) which can be on the hub found in these links:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=57935
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=57950
nealdt recommends reading this guide first, although i don't imagine it will make that much of a difference in the long run. I have noted which desynchs were in double vision by placing an italicized DV at the end of the description.

Defining Desynching- Usually in a battle, there is a 6 frame delay from one Icy to the next. Desynching is when the Icy's break their typical 6 frame difference by doing a certain set move or set of moves. Desynching widens the gap in timing to more than 6 frames, and is usually a considerable separation between the Icy's. Widening the gap makes it so the player can control both the Icy's simultaneously, have both Icy's do different moves from each other. Every move can be done by Nana or Popo alone except:
Exceptions from desynchs- If you have Popo do blizzard, Nana will also do blizzard at the soonest moment possible for her (assuming she's close enough) if she's not close enough, she will scramble to find you, and when she does get to you, she will blizzard in the opposite direction you are facing. Also: Nana will never over B or up B by herself.

Nana's Box- While the Icys are desynched, Popo can move anywhere by himself, and leave Nana in the dust; however Nana cannot do the same. Instead Nana is stuck inside an imaginary box around Popo. It extends in front, behind, above, and below Popo, but Nana will not turn the opposite direction of Popo(except following a Popo blizzard.) To see this box hold press L or R in to right before they click. Hold this until Popo's shield breaks. Then Popo is stationary and you have complete control of Nana. Full hop to see how high the box goes, have Nana drop below the platform to see how low it goes, walk out in front of Popo to see how far forward it extends, do a short WD backwards to see the back end of it. Nana has a tendency to slide back to Popo in this box if she moved forwards or backwards. Nana can do anything while she is in the box, but once it is broken (dash or WD forward, or WD back) Nana is uncontrollable until she is back beside Popo. Also note, Nana's box is non-existant when Popo is hanging from the edge.

Section 2-Starting the Desynch

1. Desynch from spot dodge- After doing a spot dodge, hit whichever move you want to use. Correctly timed any move can be done by Nana alone. DV

2. Desynch from roll- Same as above. DV

3. Desynch from dash dance- Dash dancing totally confuses Nana, I find it easiest to complete the desynch with a dash attack which only Popo does. (Dash towards, away, then towards, and only Popo dash attacks.) You can also have only Popo do an attack, specifically ice block, if he recovers before the end of Nana’s skid animation. On top of that, you can have Nana alone do attacks, like blizzard. There are countless ways to desynch with the Dash Dance (more on this later in the guide). DV

4. Desynch from grab- If you don’t grab anyone, works like the first two. If you do grab someone, Popo finishes his animation first because he actually grabbed someone. Since Nana doesn’t many options are open because of this. More on this later in the guide. DV

5. Stuck Nana desynch(also “landing ice block" in DV)- Right before landing with Popo, use an ice block, causing Popo to be popped back into the air while using an ice block, Nana, who does not use the ice block and lands on the ground instead, is free to use any move. This desynch can also be done with Popo’s second jump, and has the same timing as perfect wavelanding (which only Popo will ever do). DV

6. Only has been referred to as “Number six” ("landing desynch" in DV) This is, IMO, the true land desynch, as the climbers desynch upon landing (no one goes back in the air). This is done (almost) immediately after Popo lands. He gets stuck in the land animation and Nana can do any attack by herself (except up b and over b). Easiest to see/do with a roll: i.e. screwed up wavelanding. DV

*On a side note a landing Ice Climbers has these situations: they go from able to do aerials->able to stick nana->unresponsive->able to number six->totally landed, and both ready to attack. (At least this is as far as I can tell without an AR.)

7. Solo Squall- After doing any A attack press over and B. Done correctly, Popo will do the squall hammer himself. Hitting diagonal down and across instead causes Popo to squall and Nana to blizzard, which you can still desynch from, as Nana’s blizzard ends before Popo’s squall. **Semi-glitch/interesting animation** Do this desynch, but while Popo does the over B hold the opposite direction you initially used (hit right and B then hold left, or vice versa.) Nana retreats with you, pivoting from front to back, front to back, etc. (not back to front though); just some funny animation in the game. DV

8. Pivot Desynch- Popo is the only one who truly pivots (because Nana is so confused by the dash dance,) which gives this many options. When Pivoting, using the A button will have Popo do the desired move, and Nana will dash Attack, these two attacks do link together, and Nana hits last. Using the C-stick results in only Popo doing a smash. Apparently you can pivot, and then crouch, and then do an attack and only Nana will do it. DV

9. Fast Fall Desynch- Short hop, fast fall and jump again. Time this correctly and only Popo will jump the second time. Do an aerial, and have Nana do anything while Popo recovers (this means forget the lcancel). This is the most useful way to use this I’ve found. DV

10. Guarded Desynch- Actually I found this while writing this guide: sweet. Anyways, from a standing position with the correct amount of tilting of the control stick and the right timing of the A button; it is possible to have Popo reverse directions and tilt, while Nana jabs in the original direction (demonstrated in DV.) Because the jab ends faster than the ftilt, you can have Nana do any move by herself, and have Popo do a few on his own too (from the looks of it anyways…).

*Side note 2: When wavedashing, holding the opposite direction you are facing will sometimes cause the Icy’s to use the same move but in opposite directions. Downsmash, upsmash and grab all work this way (c-stick and z). This is also a way to set up a moving guarded desynch, if you hit A instead of the c-stick and z, and is much easier to do than a standing one.

11. Desynch from taunt- Works the same as 1, 2, and the first part of 4. I don't know why I didn't see this before. Obviously the best way to desynch.

12. n00b Nana Desynch- Occasionally when landing from doing and aerial, sometimes Nana fails to Lcancel it. Abuse the fact that Nana has more lag than Popo and desynch them. I can't so this one consistently, and don't have a full knowledge of how it works. If anyone does figure it out then post it. I have also had only Nana do something after an lcanceled aerial, I'll look more into this one. Still don't have a 100% way of doing this, seems to happen more often with uair though.

13. Desynch from the edge- Have Popo grab the edge while Nana stands above him on the edge. Hit up on the joystick to make Popo flip himself back onto the ledge. While Popo is preoccupied with getting back up, Nana is free to do any move (even smash the recovering opponent.) Get around that edgeguard! DV

14. Desynch from respawn- Once you have died, and that will happen occasionally to us imperfect icy's, when you drop off the platform Nana is unresponsive until you hit the ground. Because of this you can use an ice block with Popo while you are in the air to separate the icy's. Once Nana lands (before Popo) have her use a move (ice block usually) by herself to desynch. Basically it works like the stuck Nana desynch, except there is a large margin for error.

15. Shield up B desynch- Only known way to desynch out of your shield. Simply shield upb, then hit an aerial attack. Nana gets throw up over Popo (not too high) and is able to do blizzard, ice block, or any aerial by herself. Popo has a little more lag on him than other desynchs, but its not significant. However, because of this lag, this desynch is one of the easiest to do. Highly recommended against characters you can't shield grab--shield up b desynch with a blizzard.

16. Initial dash Desynch- From standing position if you smash the joystick left or right and hit A at the correct time Popo will do a dash attack and Nana will do a forward smash, obviously, you can also hold in A to make her charge it and follow you. You have a 6 frame window for pressing A for this to work.

Section 2.5-freeze glitch

Eh, on several requests, it's being added:
Step 1: grab with Nana. to grab with nana, stand next to the opponent and turn and grab at the same time; Popo turns around and grabs, Nana grabs the opponent. Or WD backwards towards the opponent, hold towards them, and grab; works the same as above. OR grab with Popo, fthrow and catch them with Nana.
Step 2: when Nana throws the opponent, over b with Popo. time this correctly (use it when the throw actually hits the opponent.) and you have done the freeze glitch.

Specifics on the Freeze Glitch:
To unfreeze them, grab and throw them again.
If you use an Ice attack, they will become an ice cube, and in this state they are permanently frozen until they are hit them with a screw attack.

Section 3-Useful things to do during a desynch

Have Nana use an ice block, and have Popo run after it, basically the same effect as missile canceling, this gives you the option to grab the opponent out of their shield, or meet them in the air with an attack of your choosing. Called the "Ice Block Chaser" in DV

Have Nana use blizzard, a lot like the ice block method above, but works well as an anti-air tactic, and is more defensive. Pluck the enemy out of the blizzard by grabbing with Popo, or if they're too high off the ground, smash them. DV

Have Nana WD in, acts as a distraction. And we all know how dangerous Nana can be by herself... just don't use it often. (I've never used this, Nanapult is far superior IMO)

Have Nana charge a smash, then while she is still chargeing use the c-stick to have Popo charge a smash too (okay not all that useful but its fun). If you release the A button before Nana's charge time is up, she will resynch with Popo, or you can time the release so she runs out right as you release, and the hammers fall simutaneously. I think every Icy player should fsmash in both directions at some point. Even if its totally inapplicable for a real match.

The “Nanapult”- While Popo is busy doing a move(namely ice block, but others work too); input dash, jump, and blizzard for Nana's 'move.' Doing this all before Nana breaks her box causes her to jump and sail across the level doing blizzard (about 1/3 of FD). This is an even more effective anti-air move, and almost always has positive results (at least for me). DV

After grabbing the opponent- Nana can do any move while Popo is preoccupied with a grab attack, so grab, grab attack with Popo and the Icy’s are desynched. Nana can charge smashes, use Blizzard, etc. When Popo is hitting the enemy with his grab attack or with his throw he will not release them. Otherwise, the only attacks that make Popo let go are Nana’s smashes. Nana can smash while Popo hits them; by grab, grab attack, and fsmash in the wind down lag of the grab attack; and rack up the damage fast: “chainsmashing.” Nana can smash while Popo downthrow chains fastfallers or Sheik.

After grabbing the opponent 2: chainthrows- The Icy’s can chainthrow just about everyone in the entire game. Downthrow with Popo, blizzard or ice block (hit with the hammer) or short/fullhop dair/fair with Nana, then move forward a little and grab again with Popo. (Depending on which character and what percents.) Note: Nana's full hop by herself is shorter than with Popo. I'm hoping Undrdog's updated guide will have a more in depth section on these.

After grabbing the opponent 3: the infinites- Icy’s can infinite everyone (except another Icy’s) in a grab. While Popo has ahold of the enemy, alternate Nana’s ftilt/dtilt with Popo’s grab attack. If these two attacks alternate evenly Popo will be able to hold on the opponent forever, no matter how fast they mash their buttons. However, if these two attacks are not even to the frame, the opponent can mash out, and is not as useful as the chaingrabs until mid percents (doing this before the enemy has 30% is not recommended against someone you can chainthrow). To get these two attacks to alternate relatively evenly, look at one, and only one of the flash animations of the attacks, the actual hitting of the opponent (I look at Popo's headbutt flash). Then hit the A button on the animation, once in between, then back on the animation (eighth notes for you music people). Easy as that.

After grabbing the opponent 4: finishing- Nana can hit with any move before they recover from downthrow, it just takes a little creativity. Suggestions: Downthrow with Popo, then smash them with Nana. Or fair them with Nana back into Popo’s downsmash range.

*Another side note: there are other things done in double vision that are not specifically listed here, but are combinations of the above tactics, or demonstrations of how the above tactics can be used in battle. All that is done in double vision can be figured out with this guide and a little bit of common sense.

Section 4-Credits

phillybilly- Thanks for 9, parts of 3, 4, and 8 in Section 2.
Undrdog- for writing a good beginning guide and clueing me in on the basics
Domo- the ice block chainthrow, part of 5, and the Nanapult
Gore- the chainsmashing, and many other ideas
598scogi- Idea behind 13
SDM-frame data: hey if you wanted to get frame data on these desynchs that would be awesome.
nealdt-Special Thanks for the awesome video guide that has the critics raving.
Many other Icy’s players too
VirtualVoid- Thank you for the initial dash desynch (16), especially for the frame data on it.
Hal Labs- for another awesome character with no clones (lets keep it that way for smash 3 ok?)

And that’s it! Thanks for reading it. Constructive criticisms and comments are welcome. If there’s any other desynchs that I missed, please inform me and I will stick them up there, and give you credit in Section 4.

Note: Smashboards.com and SSBBrawl.com have been authorized to have this guide.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Very good!

I hope this will attract more attention from noobs than the "Post reply" button.

Vinnie275

Smash Master
Xdadepsak's Closet, along with Ender, Mkiller, and
Actually just yesterday night I was thinking to myself, "I wish I had a desynch guide".

I must be honest, I'm better with pichu than IC. ; ;

Actually that is because I love pichu.

I'm going to see if I can spam nanapault against a doc. Oh yeah. No more, "Take your pills, they're good for you!". From now on it's nanapault time. Eat blizzard you MD-wannabe.

S.S.

Smash Rookie
:) I've been waiting for this type of guide. This'll definitely help my IC game. Good Job!!

exarch

doot doot doot
Thanks for all the positive stuff and suggestions. I thought about defining desynch after i posted it, but my internet went all haywire so i couldn't get to it. Now i can though. yay. Yeah Zapdos, the projectile spammers bother me, i usually try to send desynched ice blocks back at them, for doc (or at least against my little brother's) he switches to cape. I enjoy picking falcon out of the air with nanapult (assuming you get enough time to desynch.)

Edit: There you go an attempted definition of desynching, i think im going to work on that more.

Maelstrom

Smash Journeyman
S.S. said:
:) I've been waiting for this type of guide. This'll definitely help my IC game. Good Job!!
Likewise. :laugh: Questions...Though this may seem obvious I just want to clarify, when desynched..Are these moves supposed to be pulled of the second the desynch happens? Or can they stay that way for a bit longer? Also, when it comes to that infinite, the thing is when I tilt Nana does nothing..And this tilt I do is Extremely slight (to prevent Popo from thowing). Do you have to do the samething as well? :laugh:

S.S.

Smash Rookie
Maelstrom: I used to have that problem for about 5-10 minutes, until I realised I was still holding down shield, and Nana was trying to grab. That might be the problem, but that was just me.

Exarch: I'm having problems with the Nanapult. I can desynch, but when I dash, then jump, then blizzard, it just doesn't work. Any suggestions, like should I short hop, or allow Nana to nearly catch up to me, or jump right after the dash? Or is it just for 1.1?

exarch

doot doot doot
1.1 is version of guide, lol. i've got smash 1.2. I'm glad you were specific, i think i caught your problem. You are not supposed to tell Popo to do it, you input them while he's busy and Nana is not. So desynch iceblocks, and find your alternating rhythm (where they're about even), and right after you hit b for Popo's ice block, input those three things as fast as you can (its not like DSHL or anything but it's still fast). You have to have all three commands in before Nana breaks her box of listening to you (i think i'll add that in too). Popo can't do it himself because he is preoccupied with his ice block. I hope that helps... editing guide... anything else that is unclear?

Done editing (again [smiley thing]). Is that more clear now?

Oh yeah and Nanapult roxorz.

Maelstrom

Smash Journeyman
S.S. said:
Maelstrom: I used to have that problem for about 5-10 minutes, until I realised I was still holding down shield, and Nana was trying to grab. That might be the problem, but that was just me.

When I was doing it I wasn't holding down Sheild. Ok....Are you supposed to headbutt, tilt, headbutt, tilt (repeat)? :laugh:

S.S.

Smash Rookie
Wow, I must've misread that. Thanks Exarch!

The way I do my infinites is I grab and tilt the control stick at the same time, so when I press A, it is a tilt and he doesn't throw. That helps with the tilt a lot IMO.

I don't understand what you asked at the end. You are supposed to headbutt, then tilt, and repeat (hopefully) endlessly. But if you asked if you are supposed to press A, tiltA, A, tiltA, etc., then no. You can hold down the tilt, and as long as Popo doesn't throw, he'll still headbutt.

Maelstrom

Smash Journeyman
S.S. said:
Wow, I must've misread that. Thanks Exarch!

The way I do my infinites is I grab and tilt the control stick at the same time, so when I press A, it is a tilt and he doesn't throw. That helps with the tilt a lot IMO.

I don't understand what you asked at the end. You are supposed to headbutt, then tilt, and repeat (hopefully) endlessly. But if you asked if you are supposed to press A, tiltA, A, tiltA, etc., then no. You can hold down the tilt, and as long as Popo doesn't throw, he'll still headbutt.
Thanks!. Ok...now is Nana supposed to actually do anything? :laugh:

exarch

doot doot doot
Popo has a hold of the opponent, Nana does not. You tilt the control stick at a slight angle (so Popo doesn't throw them, and tap A, causing Popo to repeatedly attack them while he has them grabbed, and causing Nana to use down tilt or forward tilt. If these two attacks alternate perfectly evenly (Popo grab attacks, then Nana d/ftilts, then Popo grab attacks etc.) Popo will be able to hold on to the opponent forever, no matter how much they mash their buttons, while the Icy's continue to do damage. The only attacks being done are Popo's attack while he is holding someone (the headbutt), and Nana's forward or down tilt. If the opponent starts at a higher percentage the infinite can be done slightly imperfectly and will still work for a solid 100% or more.

Edit: Guide still changing, thats for the input. Trying to make it more comprehensible. Hope I'm helping, and you're welcome S.S.

Edit 2: guide was updated and new desynchs listed. Bump!

I said Bump! Bump! crap. stupid double posting rule...

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
Why isn't this thread stickied? It would make it so that fewer people feel the need to post random questions about how to desynch and what options you have after desynching (like I was going to before searching).

Seriously, this is great. Bump, and sticky it. It's very helpful.

:laugh: at "Nanapult"

Peachtress

Smash Ace
The "Nanapult"?

I know what it is, i just can't quite get it...at all

So, what you do is keep popo busy w/ an attack and jump w/Nana and down B??

I need help w/ this, thnks...

598scogi

Smash Cadet
I like this guide but it only scratches the surface of desynching ownage. The most notable thing that I would like to add is edgehogging with popo while smashing with nana. They can't grab the edge cause popo is coming up and you are smacking them with a hammer if they try to land on the stage. You needn't be limited to a smash, though. You could spike them with the fair or iceblock or blizzard them. I just thought I'd bring that up because I can't think of another character that can prevent grabbing the ledge and punish landing on the stage that easily. One other thing that I like to do is smash with popo then immediately tilt with nana, doing the damage of a smash and tilt but having only the knockback of the tilt. This is great for more damaging combos. You could do it the other way around if you want the knockback of a smash but can't seem to get one off. I find it is easier to hit enemies with a tilt. The last thing I would like to add is one of my favorite things to do with icy's. You just send out an ice block with nana then wavedash or run after it with popo. You can send one block or just run out during desynched spamming. This sets up a grab or air attack pretty well in my experience. If you have read all this sorry for wasting your time I just had to get these ideas off my chest.

exarch

doot doot doot
Have Nana use an ice block, and have Popo run after it, basically the same effect as missile canceling, this gives you the option to grab the opponent out of their shield, or meet them in the air with an attack of your choosing.
Yeah that last one is in there.
And like I said, discovering all the good uses of desynchs is up to y'all. I might add the edgeguard though. Thanks for the input!

Peachtress: desynch iceblocks, then when the iceblocks are being sent about evenly, have Popo do one, then as soon as he starts to do the iceblock; have nana dash, jump out of her dash, and use down b in the air. Its basically a Dashjumped blizzard with only nana, i just liked the name it was dubbed. The thing is, you have to do all the inputs before nana leaves her box, and before popo finishes his move. Those are the only restrictions on the Nanapult. Hope that helps.

BentoBox

Smash Master
After grabbing the opponent- Nana can do any move while Popo is preoccupied with a grab attack, so grab, grab attack with Popo and the Icy’s are desynched. Nana can charge smashes, use Blizzard, etc. When Popo is hitting the enemy with his grab attack or with his throw he will not release them. Otherwise, the only attacks that make Popo let go are Nana’s smashes. Nana can smash while Popo hits them; by grab, grab attack, and fsmash in the wind down lag of the grab attack; and rack up the damage fast: “chainsmashing.” Nana can smash while Popo downthrow chains fastfallers or Sheik.
Here's my way of doing it (the grab+downb combo) : As soon as I grab with popo, I hold down (before the grabbing animation finishes) and I rapidly smash a+b, resulting in popo headbutting and nana blizzering @_@. Is that a desynch?

Also, what I like to do to finish it off, is d-throw with popo, during the throwing animation, I make nana jump and f-air (which is a meteor smash, i believe), and grab with popo right as the opponent is coming back down (requires lots of timing tho). I managed to do it 3times in a row and it looks **** cool xD.

Besides abusing of Popo's lag to make Nana attack by herself, I truly suck at desynching *sad* or is that what dcing really is all about *confused*

BentoBox

Smash Master
Hmm, you could try Wavedashing towards the ledge, popo will then cling on. And use the C-Stick to Smash with Nana... I don't know if using the c-stick will make Popo let go of the edge tho... Imma have to try that.

exarch

doot doot doot
Whew thats a lot.
Peachtress, I tried in my last post. The Nanapult is almost exactly as youdescribed it, except, you dash, then jump blizzard with nana while Popo is busy.

As far the edgehog and grab, there is two things you can do. you can deynch and have nana charge a smash, then have popo grab the edge, but nana will release once popo has the edge. or you can hit up on the joystick with popo already holding the edge to make him come back, and while he is still in the lag from getting up, you can desynch (will add that too the guide when finished here). Those are the only way I know of, and all that i think is possible due to the nature of Nana. You lose control of Nana once popo grabs the edge

BentoBox, that is a desynch, desynch from grab actually.
The second one you described is a chain grab, and if you replace fair with dair in that situation, it is much easier, (IMHO.) But congrats on figuring one out by yourself, also don't expect me to elaborate too much on chain grabs, as thats not my area.
And I think, yes that is desynching. Its kinda tough to explain. But you make Popo or Nana do one move by themselves to "desynch" them, then you abuse the lag in the last one's attack to maintain the desynch. All desynching really is, is keeping Nana from being her normal timing behind Popo. And this guide is a list of how to get her behind in the first place, and what to do once she is laggy. (because the time interval between them is larger than usual, you can make each individual Icy do a certain move by themselves.)

Does that make things clear?

598scogi

Smash Cadet
Oh sorry I didn't remember seeing the running after iceblock in your guide. To edgeguard with nana and hog with popo I push a to get up with popo and then just mash over on the c-stick to hit with nana or you can shorthop with nana and do an air attack. I need a camera. Anyway the smash to tilt thing is great too. Upsmash with nana into an uptilt with popo and then do some uptilts into a double uair or uair bair. You get the picture. Also this is a sidenote but I have found that desynched uptilts can be devastating against fastfallers or fatties (ganon, bowser, DK, and sometimes peach). If you do it right they will not fly up in the air they will just be stuck in the spinnage for a while. You can also jump up and do the dair or uair depending on their damage/weight and hit them back into the utilt.
My posts are always so long.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
ok i don't know if people are still confused about the infinite, but here's a tid bit that might explain everything:
when you want to tilt the control stick to change attacks with nana while in the grab, popo has to be busy. So, if you have popo do the grab attack, you tilt the control stick while he's attacking. That way the game doesn't read the tilt as a throw input, just an input for nana. So the sequence is grab, grab attack, tilt attack while popo grab attacks, grab attack, etc. sorry if that was confusing, but im pretty sure thats whats going on.

exarch

doot doot doot
New Updates, added another part in the section 1, edited desynch definition, rewrote the edge desynch. let me know if its any more clear. Bento Box, as soon as I get a capture card, i'll start working on a desynch video. idk how i'll edit it though... any takers? OBM, thanks for the help/trying anyways. whew its been about a month since this was last touched.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bento: see this thread for a video :).

Some thoughts on the Nanapult: the fastest way to get one off from a standing position is to desynch a downsmash with Nana, immediately fire off an ice block with Popo, and then sling off Nana. If you're on the move, I'd go with a short-hop desynch, firing an ice block with Popo and then 'pulting Nana.

After playing a lot with the dash dance desynch, I've come to prefer it to the dodge/roll desynchs. You can cover a lot of ground while still using Nana to blizzard or ice block, which is great. Getting the ice block off is tricky, but if you press down, release, and then press B quickly enough while dash dancing it's very possible.

Just some random thoughts.

NAZN TYR

Smash Journeyman
hi, can someone elaborate on the dash dancing desync? i try DD and dash attack, but nana follows through.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Make sure you aren't doing the DD too fast. You need to give yourself some space from Nana for it to work.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
There's about 3 other threads that explain it. Try looking around before asking...

Anyone: Have you found (or mastered, even) the desynched edgegaurding to be useful? I can't do it consistently enough yet, but even outside of that, I don't see it being extremely useful. What are you thoughts? Just posing questions...

Maelstrom

Smash Journeyman
N1c2k3 said:
There's about 3 other threads that explain it. Try looking around before asking...

Anyone: Have you found (or mastered, even) the desynched edgegaurding to be useful? I can't do it consistently enough yet, but even outside of that, I don't see it being extremely useful. What are you thoughts? Just posing questions...
Though I've only done it once...I appears useful because

1. Popo is edgehoging (so the character can't possibly grab it)

2. Nana is gaurding the edge with the blizzard, so if they go over the edge where Popo is..Nana's got it covered..

Hat Hair

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't getting hit by Blizzard give your opponent his third jump (if they have one) back, thus rendering this idea near useless?

Work on smashing instead. It's harder, I know--as I have yet to nail one :ohwell:--but it looks to be worlds more effective.

Viewtiful Joel

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know if you can do the Ice Block desync (I think it was #5 in the guide) from a short hop? I can only seem to get it from normal jump and FF Normal Jump. In other words, can you short hop (and maybe even FF) and then have Popo only do the ice block as he lands, thus leaving Nana available to be Nanapulted?

exarch

doot doot doot
Yes you can SH FF the stuck nana desynch. I'm not very consistent (maybe 10% of the time), but it does allow for direct nanapultification. I wish i had a AR so i could get frame data, but it feels frame specific. I have not number sixed with anything other than Full hop though.

Oh and no the edge guard desynch is not useful, as Nana will not smash until Popo has released the edge. (unless you're desynch on an opponent on the level.) You're better off just edge hogging, or just edge guarding. Its all for show. *there is a warning about information for information's sake...

uber_n00b

Smash Journeyman
I really like the edgeguard desynch where I get nana to blizzard and popo to either d or fsmash, I can pull this off pretty consistently and it's really handy

six

Smash Ace
Hat Hair said:
Wouldn't getting hit by Blizzard give your opponent his third jump (if they have one) back, thus rendering this idea near useless?

Work on smashing instead. It's harder, I know--as I have yet to nail one :ohwell:--but it looks to be worlds more effective.
The idea is smashing them out of the blizzard while they're stuck in the hitlag of its multiple hits, ensuring that they die long before they get to reuse their up-b =) It also gives you a much bigger margin of error in terms of timing your smash for the KO, which is always handy in a big match when you're nervous and there's money on the line. Plus it looks friggin' sweet to interrupt your opponent's recovery like that and then smash them in the face while they're helpless.

-EDIT- Rolling desynch to iceblock chaser was one of the reasons I was able to beat my friend's samus, so props on that, too.

Top Bottom