• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to Ace Arwing Pilot Fox McCloud - Updated for 2015

Guide to Ace Arwing Pilot Fox McCloud - Updated for 2015

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Last edited:

kofinater

Smash Apprentice
could you please remove all the spaces between hypens? it makes the guide a bit jarring to read

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
could you please remove all the spaces between hypens? it makes the guide a bit jarring to read
Hi, kofinater,

Your input is much appreciated. The reason I chose such a style of hyphens is to allow the eyes slightly more blank space, on average, on which to rest while reading. Prior versions of the guide had traditional hyphens without the surrounding spaces that resulted in still more dense and overwhelming paragraphs, so I went with something different this time around. That said, if this proves to be an appreciable inconvenience to significant numbers of readers, I can revert to the non-spaced hyphens.

Arche

Smash Rookie
Hi, kofinater,

Your input is much appreciated. The reason I chose such a style of hyphens is to allow the eyes slightly more blank space, on average, on which to rest while reading. Prior versions of the guide had traditional hyphens without the surrounding spaces that resulted in still more dense and overwhelming paragraphs, so I went with something different this time around. That said, if this proves to be an appreciable inconvenience to significant numbers of readers, I can revert to the non-spaced hyphens.
Yes please, they make the otherwise wonderful guide a bit hard to read :(

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Super_bacon807: I'm in the process of formatting an updated pdf version of the guide, but it will be some time before it is completed. Thanks for making me aware of that reddit thread, also.
---​
CunningKitsune updated Guide to Ace Arwing Pilot Fox McCloud - Updated for 2014 with a new update entry:

Version 6.10 - 12/13/14

- Implemented searchable "tags" to allow jumping to specific sections; credit to N64's Pikachu guide for the idea
- Added role of in-grab knee as a DI trap facilitator
- Added Kadano's Melee Mechanics video guides to References and Resources section
- Clarified role of DI with Falco's up-throw and risk of off-stage down-aerial finisher
- Corrected sentences that implied that characters can act freely during the wavedash itself
- Minor additions to shield grab section regarding danger of shield-grabbing space animals
- Clarified wording of jump-canceled grabs section; added buffered spot-dodge as a method...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
CunningKitsune updated Guide to Ace Arwing Pilot Fox McCloud - Updated for 2015 with a new update entry:

Version 6.20 - 2/10/15

- Added "Suggested Practice Regimen" article under the "Improving Your Game" section
- Added information to the Wavedashing section about platform wavelands and their role as a ledge return mix-up (particularly on Yoshi's Story, with a supplemental video explanation by Mew2King)
- Added to the References and Resources section a link to a Smashboards post by Kadano (reference number 31) detailing powershielding and a novel technique, termed "Z + digital powershielding," discovered by tauKhan
Read the rest of this update entry...

FoxeR

Smash Cadet

heyy CunningKitsune

do you know of any vids of players doing this part of your guide ? Getting a little confused here and if there was a vid somewhere that would help me picture this. Great guide thanks so much.

However, depending on your opponent’s proximity to the stage, you may have to adjust your tactics with the edge–guarding back–aerial. For example, when close to the stage, your opponent may opt to air–dodge your back–aerial hoping both to avoid that hit and return to the stage; you can combat this by forcing an early air–dodge toward the stage, DI’ing toward the stage, fast–falling and L–canceling your back–aerial as appropriate, and following with a down– or forward–smash to send your foe out again (remember to wait for the air–dodge’s invincibility frames to end, if necessary). When your opponent is above and away from the stage, you can take the opportunity to earn an easy kill by jumping toward your opponent, activating your shine, turning around in the shine so that your back is facing your opponent, and jump–canceling the shine into a back–aerial (stall the jump–cancel a bit if you need to compensate for your timing). For many characters, the speed and angle at which the back–aerial comes out is tough to handle, and if you force an air–dodge, so much the better; simply return to the stage and continue edge–guarding with a down– or forward–smash (or up–smash, if you can get a lethal one to connect).

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
FoxeR, check your PM's in a bit; I'll send you a couple links with some explanations.

Is this guide applicable with the 3DS/Wii U version of Smash?
This particular guide is focused entirely on Melee, the Gamecube version. That said, you can find some general concepts applicable across all varieties of Smash in the articles titled "The Power of Spacing and Stage Control" and "Prediction and the Problem-Solution Methodology" (although any examples used in those sections would naturally be from Melee); these articles can be found under the second major section, "The Next Level."

Last edited:

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
Out of curiosity, did you come up with the names for his normals and aerials yourself, or are those official?

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity, did you come up with the names for his normals and aerials yourself, or are those official?
I sourced the move names from the Prima strategy guide way back when, with the exception of the down-aerial. When I was writing the guide, I didn't run across very many people referring to it as the "Air Drill," as stated in that guide; instead, Fox's dair was generally referred to as the drill or drill kick, so I opted for "drill kick."

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
I sourced the move names from the Prima strategy guide way back when, with the exception of the down-aerial. When I was writing the guide, I didn't run across very many people referring to it as the "Air Drill," as stated in that guide; instead, Fox's dair was generally referred to as the drill or drill kick, so I opted for "drill kick."
Thanks. The Smash 4 Strategy guide by the same people has no such thing, which is odd. Anyway, thanks!

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
I just started this guide and I'm starting to notice that you don't usually specify the actual percents I don't really know the exact range for the high, medium, high percent and each character is different in weight and knock back so if you say

"At medium to high percentages, the Jab and its companion Straight can pop opponents up into the air slightly" so for people especially for me looking for percent information to memorize like (this is a really bad example btw) in fox dittos you can overshot dash nair to jab combos until 20%

Top Bottom