• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide: Play Smash 64 online with Dolphin emulator

Yoshi-Fan GM

Smash Cadet
The guide has been updated as of 2021-07-04

Although I originally wrote this guide for the people at Anther's Ladder who have had trouble setting up Project64k (which I've seen quite a lot, actually), I'd like to share this guide here also for anyone interested in trying Super Smash Bros. 64 online with Dolphin emulator.

Smash 64 in Dolphin has its cons, though. Dolphin has higher system requirements than a pure N64 emulator, such as Project64. Input latency (delay) might also be higher than that of Project64 during online matches.

But nevertheless, if you don't care much about input delay, Dolphin can be a viable option for netplay. I have played a few Smash 64 matches with Dolphin online, and it runs pretty smoothly without desynching. It's better if you already have an adapter to play with GameCube controller (using the official “Wii U GameCube USB Adapter” or a generic one) because Dolphin auto-detects it and is compatible with Windows and Linux.

Link to the guide:
Smash 64 online with Dolphin emulator - Google Docs

Alternative method: Smash 64 online with Project64k:
→ 5-step guide for Smash 64 netplay with Project64 ←

The guides are available in English and Spanish/Español.

Last edited:
Top Bottom