• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guess Ultimate Mario's Tier Position ! [Before the game comes out for fun]

Lamsauce

Smash Rookie
Thought it would be fun to post one of these.
Let's keep it between the good ol' Smash 4 ranks (S-F) Click For Smash 4 Tier List Example Here

As a Mario main, I might be biased LOL. I think Mario's going to stay in "A" rank. My lowest guess is a high "B" to be honest.

The reasons are:
Mario wasn't really nerfed enough to become a bad character. In fact, he was barely nerfed at all. The nerfs (from the top of my head) include: dsmash frames, cape frames, and fsmash frames. I'm not sure about power.
He was buffed slightly. Fair is faster. I heard dair can be used as a kill confirm, so it's stronger (if it's true).

I know I'm missing a few things, I'll try to fill things out later for buffs and nerfs.

I think Mario has not lost his viability from Smash 4. Even though he lost dthrow > uptilt > uptilt > uptilt > start a family > uptilt > raise the kid > uptilt > upair > upair, he's faster and I think he still has a lot of combo potential. It's hard to judge since pretty much every other character got a speed boost and an amount of buffs (except Bowser Jr. RIP).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what are your guys' guesses and why? And who else is hype to play Mario in Ultimate?!

Last edited:

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
he doesn't look bad by any means! i just hope that, with the few buffs he has, he can keep up with all the heavily-buffed fighters in the roster. i'm excited to try him nonetheless!

D

Deleted member

He's still good, I'd say mid-tier. Combos have been nerfed but he can still get it done!

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Since recoveries have been nerfed for most characters, does this mean that FLUDD would see more use in competitive play?

Lamsauce

Smash Rookie
Since recoveries have been nerfed for most characters, does this mean that FLUDD would see more use in competitive play?
I actually havent seen a lot of people using fludd in the gameplay I’ve watched. If people like Cloud still don’t snap ledge, I can see it working, but people could still avoid fludd by being in the “safe zone”.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
I actually havent seen a lot of people using fludd in the gameplay I’ve watched. If people like Cloud still don’t snap ledge, I can see it working, but people could still avoid fludd by being in the “safe zone”.
What safe zone?

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
Thought it would be fun to post one of these.
Let's keep it between the good ol' Smash 4 ranks (S-F) Click For Smash 4 Tier List Example Here

As a Mario main, I might be biased LOL. I think Mario's going to stay in "A" rank. My lowest guess is a high "B" to be honest.

The reasons are:
Mario wasn't really nerfed enough to become a bad character. In fact, he was barely nerfed at all. The nerfs (from the top of my head) include: dsmash frames, cape frames, and fsmash frames. I'm not sure about power.
He was buffed slightly. Fair is faster. I heard dair can be used as a kill confirm, so it's stronger (if it's true).

I know I'm missing a few things, I'll try to fill things out later for buffs and nerfs.

I think Mario has not lost his viability from Smash 4. Even though he lost dthrow > uptilt > uptilt > uptilt > start a family > uptilt > raise the kid > uptilt > upair > upair, he's faster and I think he still has a lot of combo potential. It's hard to judge since pretty much every other character got a speed boost and an amount of buffs (except Bowser Jr. RIP).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what are your guys' guesses and why? And who else is hype to play Mario in Ultimate?!
Agree with OP, high B to A tier. Mario usually floats around this and i dont think that will change, he def wont be low tier though.

Lamsauce

Smash Rookie
What safe zone?
Basically being off stage, like where fludd can't reach (under stage) I dunno how to explain it LOL. I tried to make an image to show what the "safe zone" is but it's not uploading right now for some reason.

Basically, imagine this:
>Opponent is off stage on the right.
>Mario is at the right of stage at ledge
>Full charged FLUDD is used.
>If the opponent is off stage, but right up against the side of stage, they're in the "safe zone" (About a 45 degree angle from the position of mario vertically towards the bottom right screen of the stage. (If that makes sense, if that made it more confusing I'm so sorry I'm terrible at this).

Basically wherever FLUDD can't reach them while they're off stage. I would assume that a good amount of characters can still recover from that part of the map, safely from FLUDD. I'll check out FLUDD tomorrow (I'll be going to the demo again. Today I was more feeling Mario's frame data but forgot to use FLUDD because of the Free-For-All, it was confusing).

FLUDD in terms of keeping people away on stage is still pretty viable, I think that FLUDD's usage will pretty much be the same as 4's, even though some characters' recoveries have been nerfed. That's just a guess though. I think Incineroar might completely get annihilated from FLUDD because his recovery is so bad (unless he's able to phase through it but I highly doubt he can).

Hopefully I can speculate more on Mario's potential tomorrow. These are all just guesses though when comparing Sm4sh Mario to Ultimate Mario. It's hard to play Mario every time when I wanna try all these other characters though LOL. But Mario's still my boy and he still feels pretty solid from what I can tell.

Lamsauce

Smash Rookie
UPDATE: Speculation after Smash Ultimate Demo [Test Day #1]:

>Mario's down smash is slower.
It isn't as fast as sm4sh, and you can tell when you use the move. It's still decently fast though. It can catch rolls or punish people running in at you.

>Mario's Upsmash is the same.
I can't tell you how many times I spammed this because I didn't know what to do with the Switch Pro controllers LOL. It still comes out really fast and catches people. Mario mains will still find this move the most important in their kit.

>Movement
Pretty much the same as Smash 4. Can be good or bad. Some people might have "surpassed and be superior" to Mario's frame data in this new game. However, he's still fast enough to fight back and have a fair fight.

>Combos
Upthrow > Dair - always works because there's no gap between frames of dair to escape.
Uptilt > Uptilt > Uptilt > Bair - worked on Donkey Kong ? Might only work for heavies because I don't remember landing those on Young Link) I think, up tilt is slow enough now where most characters can escape, so slower heavyweight characters are the most likely to get combo'd

>RIP DOWN THROW COMBOS (Possible Combo's With DThrow)
Down throw > Bair (Low Percents)
Down throw > Upair (Mid Percents ?)

These are the two that might still work best. Down throw does not connect into uptilt anymore for sure.

Still a good tier of A in my eyes. - Will test out some FLUDD usage tomorrow. I want to see if it increases people's jumps to jump into blast zone like in Sm4sh LOL. Also to see if people can recover well enough with FLUDD since recoveries were generally nerfed (according to RocketJay8)

Last edited:

Azhroom

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4055-8075-3810
Switch FC
SW-7752-9817-9776
I would say either "A" or "B" tier due to his nerfs and buffs.

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
Mario looks like a mid-teir this time.

But hey, the balance patches will be based off that “elite smash” mode for online.

Last edited:

Scoutmain06

Banned via Warnings
Tier lists are made by fake news "competive" smash players so who cares about tier lists

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
If Pikachu is as good people as people say and becomes a popular meta pick, Mario at the very least will be reliable anti-meta. Mario still wins the neutral vs. chu, and if Mario's up smash is the same, Pikachu will always be forced to think twice before approaching.

D

Deleted member

Middle tier, good combo master, and his ground and aerial game will keep him viable.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Mario looks solid and seems to play similar to his smash 4 self. Im gonna guess high tier. Wont be dominant but still looks like he'll be good in most matchups.

Top Bottom