• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GSUB's SIMPLE Step-By-Step Music Hacking Guide for the Masses!

GSUB

Smash Lord
HPS Music Hacking in SSBM! Simple Step-By-Step Guide!

Step 1: Getting What You Need!
a. Download this pack of tools: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GAE510W9
b. Once downloaded, open that file, and drag and drop the folder called "Audio" (within the folder, "Tools") somewhere convenient!
c. Search google for "hssbm.rar" DOWNLOAD THAT FILE!
d. Now open hssbm.rar, and place the file "spqr.iso" in your new Audio folder (as created above!).
e. Find and download the song you would like to hack into Melee! Place that .mp3 into our "Audio" folder.
f. Use your computer's "Search" function to find the program, "cmd.exe" Once you find it, right-click it, then hit, "copy." Now go to your audio folder and press ctrl-v to paste it in there.

Step 2: Picking The Stage!
a. Pick a stage to hack! Only some (most tournament legal stages) can be music-hacked to their fullest extent, due to some modifications made by Sleepy-K. Once you know the stage you want, find its file name here and remember it:
[collapse=Show Stages]Rainbow Cruise | rcruise.hps
Jungle Japes | kongo.hps
Great Bay | greatbay.hps (song must be 45.8 secs or less here)
Brinstar | zebes.hps
Yoshi's Story | ystory.hps
Yoshi's Island | yorster.hps
Fountain of Dreams | izumi.hps
Green Greens | greens.hps
Corneria | corneria.hps
Pokemon Stadium | pstadium.hps
Poke Floats | purs.hps
Mute City | mutecity.hps
Kongo Jungle 64 | old_dk.hps
Dream Land 64 | old_kb.hps
Battlefield | sp_zako.hps
Battlefield Alternate | hyaku.hps
Final Destination | sp_end.hps
Final Destination Alternate | hyaku2.hps
Menu 1 | menu01.hps
Menu 2/Menu Alternate | menu3.hps[/collapse]
b. In the Audio folder, run the program GC-Tool-gamecube. Click File -> Open GC ISO. Under Files type, choose All. Find you iso (spqr) in the Audio folder, where you saved it, and hit open.
c. Press the "+" next to GCM Root on the right side of the screen. Now hit the "+" next to Audio. Under that list, find the filename of the stage I asked you to memorize (file_name_here.hps).
d. Now right-click your file, and choose Extract File. Save the file to your Audio folder (don't try and make separate folders here, everything needs to be in that one folder.)
After your first music hack, you can re-use this .hps for any stage music you want. So after this guide, I recommend you name this file, STAGEMUSIC.hps. If you're doing menu music, then rename it MENUMUSIC.hps, after completion of this guide. (As in, you can skip this step when coming back to make more hps music files, seeing as you already have one downloaded).

Step 3: Getting Your MP3 Ready!
a. Open the program Wavosaur.1.0.4.0 inside your Audio folder. Once the program has started, hit File -> Open. Choose your .mp3.
b. Trim the song here as to how you would like it to be looped.
c. Now to make the song melee compatible! Click Process -> Resample. In this window, uncheck every box there, leaving them all blank. In the available space to type, replace the number there, with the number, 32000. Hit okay, and wait for it to finish processing. Listen to the song to make sure it sounds right! (if it sounds slow or sped up, you didn't uncheck the boxes when resampling! reopen your file and do that again). After that, hit Process -> Bit Depth Converter. If the song isn't 16 bits, convert it to 16 bits here. Hit okay.
d. Now we need to create a Left Audio file, and a Right Audio file for the song. Click Process -> Convert to Mono -> Left Only. Now hit File -> Save. Save it in your audio file as something recognizable, making sure to note if it's left or right. So I'd recommend, songnameL.wav. Hit save. Now, back in Wavasaur, hit ctrl-z to undo your changes, making the song stereo again. Click Process -> Convert to Mono -> Right Only. Now save it as songnameR.wav, inside your audio folder.
e. Okay! See near the play button? [>], there's a button like THIS [>>|], click inside of your audio track, then CLICK THAT BUTTON! Good. Now right under your audio track, you should see the songs total time! Convert that to seconds, and write it down in notepad or on paper! If it was 3:30:134, now it's 210.134.
f. Close Wavasaur!

Step 4: Making Your New HPS Music File!
a. Remember that cmd.exe I had you paste in your Audio folder? Open it!
b. Inside that command console, right-click and paste this line!:
hps_insert file_name_here.hps songnameL.wav songnameR.wav > My_Offsets.txt

Key:
file_name_here = replace with the .hps file name I had you memorize, the one you extracted, for your stage.
songnameL = replace with whatever you named your left audio file
songnameR = replace with whatever you named your right audio file
c. Hit the Enter key. It will look like nothing happened! But a lot is going in actuality! Inside your Audio folder, you'll notice some new files. To know when cmd.exe is finished doing its thing, compare the file size of the newly created, temp.hps, with the files size of your original .hps, when they are the same size, it's done. This may take some time. (you might have to refresh your folder to notice the change in file size) Also, cmd.exe will have gone back to its neutral typing position. You can now close the command console.
d. Open up the newly created My_Offsets.txt in your audio Folder. Look in the total secs column. Find the closest point of your starting time for the song (presumably, 0.000). Record in that notepad or piece of paper, the offset and total secs from that line, it will look similar to this:
offset:00000080 total secs:0.000
Now do the same thing for your ending time (the total seconds of your song I had you write down earlier). Pretending your time was 210.134, like our example was, you'd put THIS line in that notepad or paper. (notice that I take the smaller time closest to my total time, as opposed to the longer time. This prevents a small audio gap between your total time, and the games closest total time.)
offset:00750f20 total secs:209.613
e. Close My_Offsets.txt

Step 5: The "Hard" Part!!! Editing your HPS to fit properly in Melee!
a.Open the program within the Audio folder called, HxD. Once running, click File -> Open. Open up "temp.hps" from your Audio folder. Don't be intimidated by all the numbers!!! hahaha.
b. Okay, I'm sure the word offset at least looks comforting in there, because you've seen it before. Now, hit Search -> Go To. Inside that box, make sure hex is checked. In the search, paste your ending times offset (from your notepad or paper). Our examples ending time offset is 00750f20. If it says that number does not exist, close the Go To box, then open it and try again.
c. At your offset, you'll see 16 blocks of two numbers stretching horizontally. Let's pretend it's really 4 blocks of 8 numbers!!! In the third block of 8, replace the numbers with your starting times offset (presumably 00000080). Make sure you TYPE it in, not paste it in. It shoud look now look like this:
offset:
00750f20 | xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx 00000080 xxxxxxxx
the x's being other numbers we don't care about. The point of this is showing the hps file where to loop back to (the beginning), once it reaches our ending time (which is why it's in the ending offset).
d. The intimidating part! Don't worry though! It's not that bad. Take your ending points time, and place it in THIS equation:
[(32000*EndTime)(16/14)]+15
For our example, we place 209.613 in place of EndTime. So our total is 7665861 (if you have decimals just forget about em). Now take THAT total, and convert it to hexidecimal using this website: http://www.statman.info/conversions/hexadecimal.html
e. My converted number is now, 74f8c5. Because it is only 6 characters, add two zeros to the front -> 0074f8c5.
f. Now go back to the hex editor for the last time!!! =D
At the top of the program, you'll see the number 16 in a little drop down box. Change that number to 8. Good! Now scroll to the top of the list. At offset 00000018, replace the first 8 characters with our newly hex converted number. Now it will look like this:
offset:
00000018 | 0074f8c5 xxxxxxxx
Now do the same thing for offset 00000050.
offset:
00000050 | 0074f8c5 xxxxxxxx
g. Good news! You're done with this thing! hit File -> Save. Close the Hex Editor!

[collapse=Optional Step for Added Quality! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!]a. Open up that Hex Editor again!
b. If you remember correctly, some .dsp files were spat out by Step 4 in this guide. Open both of those in the Hex Editor, along with your temp.hps.
c. SELECT "8" bytes per row at the top of each tab.
d. In "songnameL.dsp," highlight starting halfway through the line offset 00000018, all the way through the end of offset 00000038. If you look at the bottom of the tab, make sure it says 24 bytes (that's how many you're copying). Now Copy those numbers
e. In temp.hps, highlight starting at offset 00000020, through halfway of offset 00000040 (make sure it's 24 bytes again) Then paste over it!
f. In "songnameR.dsp," highlight starting halfway through offset 00000018, all the way through the end of offset 00000038. If you look at the bottom of the tab, (making sure it says 24 bytes). Now Copy those numbers.
g. Lastly, in temp.hps, highlight starting at offset 00000058, through halfway of offset 00000078. (check the 24 bytes!). Now Paste!!! Hit File -> Save, while in the temp.hps tab. Close the Hex Editor! You're done here! You won't be experiencing any crackles or pops in your song like people who skipped this step might! Good Job![/collapse]

[collapse=Optional Step to test the song!]a. Run the cmd.
b. paste this in there, and then hit enter:
test -o songtest.wav temp.hps -i
c. In your Audio folder, you'll see a new file, songtest.wav. Go a head and give it a listen! If it sounds good, it's probably gonna work in the iso![/collapse]

Step 6: Stickin Dat HPS File up Inside of Melee!
a. In your Audio folder, rename temp.hps, to whateveryouwant.hps. Making it the name of your song would be a good idea.
b. Open the program GC-Tool-gamecube, and load up the iso like we did last time.
c. Drop the folders open using the "+" until you find the hps you originally extracted.
d. Right-Click the file, choose Replace File. Find the whateveryouwant.hps you just renamed and edited in the hex editor, and hit okay to replace. When a window pops up, asking if you want to change the files size, hit NO. Make sure you hit NO!!!!!!! Okay, good. Now close the GC Editor.
e. Your iso is done! You have successfully placed your song inside melee!!!
f. You can test it with Dolphin, or by burning the iso as an image, and playing it on your properly hacked Wii! (or hacked gamecube)

Much credit to SleepyK, GodFed, and Tichinde925 for figuring all this out!!!

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Way to go Cam. I'll try it out soon. Are there any computer requirements for doing this? Like for example, my computer is not good enough to run Dolphin well. Can I still make an ISO with it? Perhaps have system requirements as a section?

nube

Smash Apprentice
@above

Nope, hardly anyone can run Dolphin with 100% no lag. For me, it ranges anywhere between 10-40 FPS, depending on how many things I have running at the same time. But really, you only need to use Dolphin to test the hacks - and if you want you can just use the "optional step to test the song" step at the end of GSUB's post. Good luck!

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
And moved to the workshop per request. If you know any other threads that should be moved please let me, jungle, or victra know so we can move it.

Pi

Smash Hero
I'm working with a blank iso
can I still add music hacks to this by just following your guide or do i need sleepyk's version or above?

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
yes but you are limited with what you can apply to a blank iso. your songs must be no larger than the original song. nube's prehacked iso has been rebuilt to fit songs up to 14 minutes, but he also had to remove a few songs for stages like icicle mountain to make space. you can get nube's version from his tread. i think nube's might be better than sleepyk's but if you want sleepyks iso (the original i believe) email him at sreepyk@gmail.com and you will automatically be emailed back a rebuilt iso with similar capability. both isos have some mixed up textures (choose nes luigi and you'll end up playing with mr. L) but you can fix it up with some extra work

Pi

Smash Hero
I see, thanks

Mainly what I want is to have all the stages/characters reamain default and just change the music up

probably wouldn't be too hard to just swap out hacked textures in nube's version with their originals from the blank iso i have currently yea?

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
actually if you want it blank with just expanded audio send an email to [edit]: sreeepyk@gmail.com and you will get three links to what you want. mind you that there are bugs like parts of 1 player mode not working. i'm not sure if nube's the same though. and it would take you kind of long to replace every texture back to original from nube's.

Pi

Smash Hero
actually if you want it blank with just expanded audio send an email to sreepyk@gmail.com and you will get three links to what you want. mind you that there are bugs like parts of 1 player mode not working. i'm not sure if nube's the same though. and it would take you kind of long to replace every texture back to original from nube's.
alright, thanks

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
Lol you mean nuro, not nube.
oh jeez i should quit life ha ha. I made that mistake once.... and then three more times. sorry bout that Nube and Nuro. lol thanks for catching me or i would never have stopped that : P. oh and happy one-hundredth

Pi

Smash Hero
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

sreepyk@gmail.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or unnecessary spaces. Learn more at

Cross.

Smash Ace
so yeah i pretty much did everything up to making the hps

when i run hps insert it either crashes randomly or creates a 0 bites hps file

whats the problem here?

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
So here's my problem. And I'm a jerk so I'm not going to refer to like a FAQ or anything like that. I'm just going to post a simple question here. What, exactly, is the hssbm.rar? It's a pretty big file to just "need." Is it the Melee iso? I'm tethering since I live in podunk, IL where high speed interwebs are a myth. Do I absolutely have to have it? If so I'm going to have to go somewhere else to download it.

Edit: What I'm ultimately wondering is whether or not I have to have it.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it's a Melee ISO, and yes you'll need it if you actually want to hack anything into a playable game. If you just want to make the files though, you can go ahead and do that without it, provided you have a .hps with which to use hps_insert.exe. You just need the ISO to replace the original files with the hacked ones, so that you can burn the modified ISO and play it on a hacked Wii.

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
I already have a Melee iso. I have a Wii that runs backup launcher and all that jazz. I was just curious if maybe that was hax0rz talk for melee iso.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Ah, okay. Yeah, it's the release name for one of the ISOs people are using, though I forget which.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Here's the rest of the stage / hps names for any who care. you have to manually make these songs bigger though as they aren't modified in the Sreeepy ISO. (if you're like me and you want to do EVERY stage)

Hyrule Temple 1 - shrine.hps
Hyrule Temple 2 (Fire Emblem) - akaneia.hps
Icicle Mountain - icemt.hps
Icicle Mountain 2 / Balloon Fighter - balloon.hps
Big Blue 1 - bigblue.hps
Big Blue 2 Mach Rider - mrider.hps
Doc Mario (appears on Mush Kingdom II and maybe another?) docmari.hps
Fourside - fourside.hps
Flatzone - flatzone.hps
Brinstar Depths - kraid.hps
Yoshi's 64 - old_ys.hps
Onett - onetto.hps
Onett Alternate - onetto2.hps
Great Bay Alternate - saria.hps
Peach's Castle - castle.hps
Venom - venom.hps

and last there is smari3.hps
I think it only effects the adventure mode 1st stage? I'm not sure... I forgot which file goes on Mush King 1 but I don't think it's this one.

Just for completion's sake : )

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
Hah, I need to play it. :) Knowing you, though, it's probably nothing short of Cosmo status. Just try not to embarrass me too much. I'm a Falco main.

Dar1u5

Smash Apprentice
I have always wondered if its possible to play the texture -hacked melee on my GC, since I dont have the money for a wii... any ideas on how to run the iso on the gc???

LLDL

Smash Hero
Awesome, this guide will come in super useful. I was lost before this.

GLICH

Smash Cadet
My CMD thing keeps saying there's an error:

Error: Cannot open DSP left channel file.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I just did a whole bunch of audio hacks for Glich, but when I test it in dolphin, there is a second pause before the songs loop. Is this normal? Will that only happen in dolphin or it will happen on the cube also? I made sure to choose the lower ending time offset.

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
*Forget it. I fixed the problem

*Bump*

I did another song, but it doesn't seem to wanna play the full song when I test it with the cmd. BTW the song is only 1:03.935 or 63.935, but when I test it, the song stops 58.81 seconds cutting the end part out.

Any ideas on whats causing this.... I chose the lowest offset to the original time. What's the problem ?

[FIXED]

I just did a whole bunch of audio hacks for Glich, but when I test it in dolphin, there is a second pause before the songs loop. Is this normal? Will that only happen in dolphin or it will happen on the cube also? I made sure to choose the lower ending time offset.
Same for me, anyone gone by on fixing this ?

Hax

Smash Champion
yo can only one song be applied to each stage? is there a way to make more than one song available and the game would choose at random when a match starts?

Mad J

Smash Cadet
So when i do the hps_insert part in the cmd it works fine, it starts to make the file but the file size is never the same when its finished. The 'temp.hps' is only 4,246 kb and the orignal is 30,194 kb.

Also when its finished its only 67 blocks, 118.779 seconds

Someone plz help me!!!

Paju

Smash Journeyman
*Forget it. I fixed the problem

*Bump*

I did another song, but it doesn't seem to wanna play the full song when I test it with the cmd. BTW the song is only 1:03.935 or 63.935, but when I test it, the song stops 58.81 seconds cutting the end part out.

Any ideas on whats causing this.... I chose the lowest offset to the original time. What's the problem ?

[FIXED]

Same for me, anyone gone by on fixing this ?
Yeah, I had the same problem both times I made my own .hps files and solved it by just simply putting the starting offset (in my case 00000080 which is 0.00 seconds) on previous ending offset than I was supposed to. Open My_Offset and for example if your time was 80.781 seconds, you were supposed to take the offset 002d0620 (for time 80.620 seconds) but instead choose the offset 002c0600 (for time 78.829 seconds). Then in HxD just search for the offset 002c0600 instead of 002d0620 and put the starting offset (in my case 00000080) in the third block of 8 numbers. That worked for me atleast.

Edit. Even though Korrupshen already found a fix for this problem, I thought others who may have the same problem would like to know how to fix that.

Top Bottom