• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GSP means nothing these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
Honestly realizing that after getting into match against a trash robin who literally just went from on side of the stage to the other grabbing items and furiously throwing his all towards every single trophy that dropped.

He Got murked everytime i got close but by luck of the draw he was way better at grabbing and using items than me because i dont even know what most of them do because im not trashy enough to need them.

Oh and heres the best part his gsp was 4.9million but when u rely so heavy on items what does that even mean? “ wow gratz man! You got to 5 mil gsp using items!!”

As far as im concerned my items are turned off for a reason so why match me into games that have the opposite of everything i have my preference set for

Last edited:

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
Also alot of you know id usually just quit and take the ban because i rly dont care. But i was on a winning streak of FAIR fights. No items, battlefield only maps and 1 on 1 awesomeness but then this comes along and i did my best to try and have fun with it but god is it just so lame. Even if i win with items they never even feel good like “woopdy doo i managed to be near the best stuff when it dropped”

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Why is it unfair to use items? Both of you have access to the same items. Both of you are under the same rules. You could say the match was random, meaning it could go in either one's favor, but it wouldn't be unfair. GSP may or may not mean anything. People with lower GSP can win people with higher GSP. Of course, higher GSP under your "fair" rules could indicate a better player, since better players will win more.

Something I've noticed about GSP is that it seems Nintendo tried to make it so that you play people at your level. This isn't always the case, however, and you might end up fighting people who aren't as good as you more than you will fight people who are better than you. That seems to be based on your win rate. A higher win rate seems to put you against better players. This system isn't perfect, of course.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
Why is it unfair to use items? Both of you have access to the same items. Both of you are under the same rules. You could say the match was random, meaning it could go in either one's favor, but it wouldn't be unfair. GSP may or may not mean anything. People with lower GSP can win people with higher GSP. Of course, higher GSP under your "fair" rules could indicate a better player, since better players will win more.

Something I've noticed about GSP is that it seems Nintendo tried to make it so that you play people at your level. This isn't always the case, however, and you might end up fighting people who aren't as good as you more than you will fight people who are better than you. That seems to be based on your win rate. A higher win rate seems to put you against better players. This system isn't perfect, of course.
Its unfair because its not what i signed up for. Im not frothing at the mouth waiting for an item drop im trying to actually fight my opponent face to face. I also havent actively used items in a smash game since i was like 12 years old they lost their luster to me so needless to say I dont even know what kost of these items do.

Nor do I care to learn because I dont play this game for items its not fun to me. So yeah its unfair that my ruleset says no items and his say yes items and he gets to have items. It would be safer to assume the person with items turned on can live without them (or perhaps they cant?) If you play this game to run around and throw things than please play with kthers who are here for the same.

And i actually like being put against players higher rank than me. I usually sit around 4.5+ gsp so a tougher opponent is welcomed, however i feel for the people who are like actual 1.5s that get put in my lobby.

And side note im a highly aggressive bowser player so honestly may as well play the benny hill theme because while im chasing these fools around foaming at the mouth for a good fight,they are just sprinting away with their skirts fluttering in the wind trying to grab items

Last edited:

Caylane

Banned via Warnings
"These days."

The game hasnt even been out for a year hahaha. And yeah, GSP -never- meant anything. If you actually did care though, you wouldnt be here baby crying about it. GSP is worthless, and apparently you know this, yet here you are lol

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
don't judge others on how they get into the over 4 mil range!
i play FFA the most because i just like that the most but does that mean i don't deserve my over 4.9 mil GSP with certain characters because it's not how i am supposed to play?
that you get his ruleset sucks we all know that it still happens but just because it's not your thing doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the amount of GSP he currently have,
believe it or not he did win enough matches to get to 4.9 mil
oh and btw not everyone is a hardcore competitive player, plz accept that fact and move on :l

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
i play FFA the most because i just like that the most but does that mean i don't deserve my over 4.9 mil GSP with certain characters because it's not how i am supposed to play?
Yes. In such a highly randomized environment, it's not a legitimate way to be judged on skill, which is what a ranking system should strive to do.

But that's beside the point. Frankly I don't care how you have your fun, but the issue is in that others are forced into it.

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
And side note im a highly aggressive bowser player so honestly may as well play the benny hill theme because while im chasing these fools around foaming at the mouth for a good fight,they are just sprinting away with their skirts fluttering in the wind trying to grab items
Ah so you're a bowser player. Well maybe your opponent doesn't want to be command grabbed by side B, or maybe they're running away because they don't want to be Bowsercided. On a more serious note though, Robin has a lot of projectiles in his toolkit, so he really doesn't need to approach you. That's the thing with zoners; they force you to play aggressively, which they succeeded in doing. Playing with items isn't that bad. Even pro players would do item battles from time to time. Plus, having items on makes the match more exciting!!!

Jz0089

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4141-3295-5808
Ah so you're a bowser player. Well maybe your opponent doesn't want to be command grabbed by side B, or maybe they're running away because they don't want to be Bowsercided. On a more serious note though, Robin has a lot of projectiles in his toolkit, so he really doesn't need to approach you. That's the thing with zoners; they force you to play aggressively, which they succeeded in doing. Playing with items isn't that bad. Even pro players would do item battles from time to time. Plus, having items on makes the match more exciting!!!
I find extremely boring fighting against a runner, what's the point what's the joy of escaping the whole match or other tactics i've seen of waiting on the side of the arena... I mean why bother playing if you are so afraid of losing?

Also playing with items is bad, is boring.

If you want to play with items and also running all the match better switch to Mario Kart.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Its unfair because its not what i signed up for. Im not frothing at the mouth waiting for an item drop im trying to actually fight my opponent face to face. I also havent actively used items in a smash game since i was like 12 years old they lost their luster to me so needless to say I dont even know what kost of these items do.

Nor do I care to learn because I dont play this game for items its not fun to me. So yeah its unfair that my ruleset says no items and his say yes items and he gets to have items. It would be safer to assume the person with items turned on can live without them (or perhaps they cant?) If you play this game to run around and throw things than please play with kthers who are here for the same.

And i actually like being put against players higher rank than me. I usually sit around 4.5+ gsp so a tougher opponent is welcomed, however i feel for the people who are like actual 1.5s that get put in my lobby.

You signed up with the possibility of encountering players with items. Just because you're not familiar with certain items and haven't used items in a long time doesn't make it unfair. So, is it unfair if players who use items enter a match without items? Did they sign up to play in your rule set?

"Fun" is subjective. This has nothing to do with living with or without items. If you're a good player, you should be able to take advantage of items and win. I've bumped into players with items and won. I've bumped into players without items, but whose rule set was three stocks, three minutes. Is that fair? Is that fun? It's just a game.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
"These days."

The game hasnt even been out for a year hahaha. And yeah, GSP -never- meant anything. If you actually did care though, you wouldnt be here baby crying about it. GSP is worthless, and apparently you know this, yet here you are lol
Oh wow look me using forums for what they are intended for, sharing opinions and stating my view on things. Clearly you care about my opinion to that you deem so pointless because here you are. Go get your ego boost elsewhere, you have no power here lowlife.

You signed up with the possibility of encountering players with items. Just because you're not familiar with certain items and haven't used items in a long time doesn't make it unfair. So, is it unfair if players who use items enter a match without items? Did they sign up to play in your rule set?

"Fun" is subjective. This has nothing to do with living with or without items. If you're a good player, you should be able to take advantage of items and win. I've bumped into players with items and won. I've bumped into players without items, but whose rule set was three stocks, three minutes. Is that fair? Is that fun? It's just a game.
I have no problem with them using items for their own enjoyment just keep me out of it. Play with others who also wanna run around and throw things. I dont blame them i blame this match making system. They shouldn’t be forced to fight me without items anymore than the reverse

Last edited:

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
don't judge others on how they get into the over 4 mil range!
that you get his ruleset sucks we all know that it still happens but just because it's not your thing doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the amount of GSP he currently have,
believe it or not he did win enough matches to get to 4.9 mil
oh and btw not everyone is a hardcore competitive player, plz accept that fact and move on :l
Im not even hardcore tbh. Competitive sometimes when im in the mood. Just because I like 1v1 no item, battlefield rounds doesn’t mean I dont do the occasional FFA or that I think Im above anyone else but fact of the matter is I find items as a cheap means of achieving victory. So me being the type of gamer I am, I decided to turn my items off for searches yet somehow I am still getting matched all the time with people who run around and foam at the mouth everytime they see a trophy while im hot on their trail trying to get my claws on them

Last edited:

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
I have little problem with zoners even as a bowser main tbh. The ones who just run from ledge to ledge though annoy me alittle because its just cheesey. Id fight 3 zoners at once than one zero suit samus staller.

That being said I have a problem with being forced to play with items turned on when Im GSP farming. Zoners fine, spammers fine, stallers ehh but items... no no no.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I have no problem with them using items for their own enjoyment just keep me out of it. Play with others who also wanna run around and throw things. I dont blame them i blame this match making system. They shouldn’t be forced to fight me without items anymore than the reverse
Another For Fun/For Glory would have been nice. Set preferences for omega or tri-plats, timer can't go lower than 5 minutes, stock set-up as is.

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
I have little problem with zoners even as a bowser main tbh. The ones who just run from ledge to ledge though annoy me alittle because its just cheesey. Id fight 3 zoners at once than one zero suit samus staller.

That being said I have a problem with being forced to play with items turned on when Im GSP farming. Zoners fine, spammers fine, stallers ehh but items... no no no.
Dude, watch your double/triple posting before a mod slams a strike on your account.

And I do agree playing with items on quickplay at 4+ million gsp can be annoying. But it’s rare you find that on 1v1, so just take it and move on.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
Dude, watch your double/triple posting before a mod slams a strike on your account.

And I do agree playing with items on quickplay at 4+ million gsp can be annoying. But it’s rare you find that on 1v1, so just take it and move on.
I tried to do it all in a short time span, not like i was reviving the thread just wanted to make my responses more organized, but maybe ill try to keep responses more clustered. New to this forums smh.

It would be nice if anyone over 2.5m gsp loses the optiob for items or something like that. Honestly past 2.5 you shouldn’t gain more for throwing pokemon balls around. My opinion ofc

J.I.L

I tried to do it all in a short time span, not like i was reviving the thread just wanted to make my responses more organized, but maybe ill try to keep responses more clustered. New to this forums smh.

It would be nice if anyone over 2.5m gsp loses the optiob for items or something like that. Honestly past 2.5 you shouldn’t gain more for throwing pokemon balls around. My opinion ofc
I have a full detailed template that the online should imitate. Here it is:
1. Have 4 distinct player mods:
Causal play
Party play
Ranked play
Friend play

And that’s it.... lol. I have specifics features for each of your curious.

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
In all the months Ive occasionally played online, Ive yet to get a single game with items. Maybe the occasional 3 minute 2 stock match. But other than that, nothing. Not sure how it happens so frequently for others lol

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
In all the months Ive occasionally played online, Ive yet to get a single game with items. Maybe the occasional 3 minute 2 stock match. But other than that, nothing. Not sure how it happens so frequently for others lol
Same here. If anything, I played one or two matches with the Smash Ball appearing and that's it.

Anyways, I don't take GSP too seriously. What's the point of winning a few matches only to get into a laggy fight and lose like 200,000 in an instant? Has happened to me too many times :ohwell:. If you want something that fits your rules, give the Battle Arenas a try.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord

That's pretty much true.
Has a good win streak multiple times and then got matched with people with 30k GSp or more constantly for a short time because obviously they wooped the floor with me. But that's also the realm where the top-players have their GSP so I guess it's only natural to lose there. most of the times.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
so because you hate a certain ruleset it should just be removed all together at a certain GSP amount because you don't like it?
that you get a ruleset you dislike shouldn't be happening but lets not overreact and say ''i hate it so it should be removed at a certain GSP amount!''
i hate certain rulesets too then i mean stamina, 1 stock and yes timed isn't my thing either (i still get them sadly >~>) but i'm sure there are people that enjoy those so shouldn't they be allowed to pick those rulesets because you hate it?
even if someone is at 4 mil..if they enjoy playing with items then just let them..the issue is that the matchmaking puts you in a ruleset you didn't asked for..
instead of blaming the opponent or the ruleset you should blame the matchmaking for putting you in those

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
Tell me your secret because id be so happy if all I had to deal with was 2 stock 3 min battles occasionally. Maybe my luck is just really bad.

so because you hate a certain ruleset it should just be removed all together at a certain GSP amount because you don't like it?
that you get a ruleset you dislike shouldn't be happening but lets not overreact and say ''i hate it so it should be removed at a certain GSP amount!''
i hate certain rulesets too then i mean stamina, 1 stock and yes timed isn't my thing either (i still get them sadly >~>) but i'm sure there are people that enjoy those so shouldn't they be allowed to pick those rulesets because you hate it?
even if someone is at 4 mil..if they enjoy playing with items then just let them..the issue is that the matchmaking puts you in a ruleset you didn't asked for..
instead of blaming the opponent or the ruleset you should blame the matchmaking for putting you in those
I mean you right I would just personally like GSP to mean more than you used more items than a mario kart racing tourny to get to 4m+

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
Tell me your secret because id be so happy if all I had to deal with was 2 stock 3 min battles occasionally. Maybe my luck is just really bad.
Usual garbage. 7 minutes, 3 stocks, BF stages.

Perhaps not giving two ****s about gsp helps too lol

Last edited:

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
Honestly realizing that after getting into match against a trash robin who literally just went from on side of the stage to the other grabbing items and furiously throwing his all towards every single trophy that dropped.

He Got murked everytime i got close but by luck of the draw he was way better at grabbing and using items than me because i dont even know what most of them do because im not trashy enough to need them.

Oh and heres the best part his gsp was 4.9million but when u rely so heavy on items what does that even mean? “ wow gratz man! You got to 5 mil gsp using items!!”

As far as im concerned my items are turned off for a reason so why match me into games that have the opposite of everything i have my preference set for
GSP literally doesnt mean anything unless we talk about high ES where all the serious players are at.

This thread has probably been done before

J.I.L

GSP literally doesnt mean anything unless we talk about high ES where all the serious players are at.

This thread has probably been done before
Exactly, even low gsp isn't indictive of skill. A lot of people in low gsp (talking REALLY LOW GSP.....like 100k and less) are about as good as people you see in 1/2 mil...heck even low 3 millions.
And since if your main has really high gsp, your base gsp for a crhacter you've never played on quickplay will already be in elite smash. My base gsp for chracters I've never played are like 4games in elite smash already. So if I play them one game, get stomped...after that 1st game and loss...I'm still in elite smash.
So the only way gsp system really works is if you played about 10 games against a pool of differnt gsp. that'll show your skill level. As a matter of fact, for any new chracter you play on quick smash, you should have a 10 game buffer before they give you a gsp. In that buffer, you'll start playing a median gsp player, the more you win, the higher gsp your next oppent will be, the more you lose...the lower your gsp oppnent will be. You'll be forced to play 10 differnt characters as test before you get an GSP score. If they did that, this gsp system would actaully be far more indictive of skill.

Last edited:

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Exactly, even low gsp isn't indictive of skill. A lot of people in low gsp (talking REALLY LOW GSP.....like 100k and less) are about as good as people you see in 1/2 mil...heck even low 3 millions.
And since if your main has really high gsp, your base gsp for a crhacter you've never played on quickplay will already be in elite smash. My base gsp for chracters I've never played are like 4games in elite smash already. So if I play them one game, get stomped...after that 1st game and loss...I'm still in elite smash.
So the only way gsp system really works is if you played about 10 games against a pool of differnt gsp. that'll show your skill level. As a matter of fact, for any new chracter you play on quick smash, you should have a 10 game buffer before they give you a gsp. In that buffer, you'll start playing a median gsp player, the more you win, the higher gsp your next oppent will be, the more you lose...the lower your gsp oppnent will be. You'll be forced to play 10 differnt characters as test before you get an GSP score. If they did that, this gsp system would actaully be far more indictive of skill.
the whole thing is incredibly stupid since it is just a ranking against other people that play your character, AND it includes the millions of people that havent even played your character one time. Its not an actual rating, which is the problem. Like lets say some guy is the top Falco player, and he is 3 times as good as the second best guy, hes still just 1 gsp higher. It would be easier to udnerstand your skill level if it was just a rating that increases and decreases as you win, rather than an ordered ranking of the players on the ladder. In this case, the best Falco player might be 2800 rating, while the second best is 2200 rating.

pollo20x620x6

Smash Cadet
I have 5.04 mil with Falcon. A Richter with 5.14 rematched me 3 times, despite 3 stocking me two times. He raised his gsp playing a clearly inferior player, but I guess if it means something to him.

I'm currently letting my gsp drop on purpose cause the passive increase in between play sessions is pairing me up with players who are way better; better to the point that its not even fun anymore. This Ness player keeps rematching me, even though I'm not touching the controller. His GSP is went up 5K pretty much playing a punching bag. But that's what's wrong with this system. You can farm gsp playing worse players

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
What I do know though is, despite not having any characters over 5M GSP yet, that you probably only gain like ~5k GSP per win and lose ~7k per loss (something like that). Comparing a 5.04 mil player to a 5.14 mil player is like comparing a chess player with rating 2100 to another player who has 2800. Even though there's only a 100k GSP difference, the difference in skill I find is massive between the two players.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
I have 5.04 mil with Falcon. A Richter with 5.14 rematched me 3 times, despite 3 stocking me two times. He raised his gsp playing a clearly inferior player, but I guess if it means something to him.

I'm currently letting my gsp drop on purpose cause the passive increase in between play sessions is pairing me up with players who are way better; better to the point that its not even fun anymore. This Ness player keeps rematching me, even though I'm not touching the controller. His GSP is went up 5K pretty much playing a punching bag. But that's what's wrong with this system. You can farm gsp playing worse players
it raises everybody equally. GSP is a straight ranking of the players, so picture it like if a new person comes online, they enter the ladder at 1 GSP, increasing everybody else by 1. They don't actually start you at 1 gsp, but anybody above mid to low GSP will see that increase. I'd say that what you're actually seeing is just bad match making of the system. Like mentioned above, the difference from 5.04 to 5.14 is like a 4 mil getting a 1.5 mil opponent.

Last edited:

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
This is truth, even more reasons gsp means nothing.

DorboDIO

Smash Rookie
All this talk about GSP is making me wish I had Smash Ultimate even more. To bad I don't have a switch tho lol :)

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Youd hate it just as much as most of the people here. Its a poorly done system
That is a very timid way to say it. It is an absolute embarrassment and Sakurai should be ashamed of himself. He has dishonored his ancestors by spreading rage across the planet.

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
That is a very timid way to say it. It is an absolute embarrassment and Sakurai should be ashamed of himself. He has dishonored his ancestors by spreading rage across the planet.
"Ashamed of himself" I lol'd at that. Tone it down there.

On a side note its still pretty amusing people still get pissed at Nintendo for stuff like this. Its no secret that Nintendo is slow as **** when it comes to getting with the times, especially with internet interfaces. To constantly have hope that something will be done better is just such a waste of energy. Expect nothing from Nintendo. You'll be far less disappointed and pissed if you do.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman

On a side note its still pretty amusing people still get pissed at Nintendo for stuff like this. Its no secret that Nintendo is slow as **** when it comes to getting with the times, especially with internet interfaces. To constantly have hope that something will be done better is just such a waste of energy. Expect nothing from Nintendo. You'll be far less disappointed and pissed if you do.
Its kind of one of those things where where i know what I'm dealing with, but it still pisses me off. With Brawl, they sort of get a pass, but smash 4 and Ulti came out in the esports era where they could straight up just throw a dart at a dartboard to pick whose online ranking system they are going to copy, and it would for sure be better than ulti since ulti is the worst online ranking system that i can think of at this moment.

I wouldn't even say that I'm disappointed tbh. Knowing how foolish they are, this is above what I expected. I'm honestly glad just to have any sort of match making and ladder at all. Regardless, I'm still going to **** on them for being so grotesquely incompetent at copying other companies who have already established an accepted standard for ladder systems.

J.I.L

No, I disagree. McSquirrtle was speaking 100% facts, and even he was too soft. I’ve have looked diligently at others who are displeased, they say that other Nintendo games have decent and contentful online systems. Heck, smash 4 had a decent online game that should have been a prototype for something even bigger and better. So I don’t think it’s nintendo, I believe it’s Sakurai and ultimate devolpers. These people are either beyond stupid and inept or people who could give a dam about making a well-made game, anymore and focus more on marketing it, hyping it up and putting fan service of characters from differnt games so they can attract casuals and get more revenue. Plus, that’s what I guess Sakurai likes anyway, just figuring out how many characters I can get from differnt genres into smash. I feel like the dude tried in smash 4 to make a well rounded game, saw reviews of how boring smash 4 it was after awhile and decided to double down on fan service with ultimate which has gotten us in this junk.

It’s so frustrating now because I can’t even play elite smash anymore. My 2nd main, falco, is just so BAD. And he’s bad because his programming doesn’t even look COMPLETE. When your oppent gets into kill %, his grabs don’t even connect with his lasers anymore, therefore when you grab oppenet at like 175%, they’ll never die. None of his B attacks kills nor does he have any dash attack that’s kill so it forces me to have to smash attack someone at 175% and that’s easier said then done when your oppenet knows that’s your only option. So falco is incomplete and terrible, while people like ness, richter, robs, Sonics, Palutena, bowser jr (yes he is cheap. Bowser jr is my Main (lemmy specifically), and I can set you up a BA right now if you really want to dispute it bower jr is a cheap character. I launch about 50 million projectiles at my oppenet plus I have a go kart that travels like 2,000 mph, and I have about 8 differnt kill options as bower jr and that’s not including any edge guard cheese), ganadorfs, inklings, Zelda who are all finished and well made characters who are cheap. The character inequality in this game is so absurd it’s unplayable now. At least if this game allowed me to play team battle, I could hide my character obvious programming deficiencies but the elite smash won’t even allow you to play team battle and just throw you into endless one v ones. It’s frustrating. These people are fricking jack@$$es who are all dumb@$&es ho should be bloody fired, extrapolated all the revenues they got from the online system, and then thrown into prison camp while losing all rights to smash as someone who’s more dedicated and has a love for actual Nintendo and smash take their place. That includes Sakurai, you can LOCK HIM UP, too. Smash has become too corporate and you can see it with this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
@OP I think it still means something to people but I agree it's a bad measure of skill with many lopsided results.

I stopped playing until I could get good internet since then I've graduated from getting temp banned constantly to at least playing no items teams majority of the time which is the most important thing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom