• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grounded Wizard Kick Showcase

MGK

Smash Apprentice
I've made a showcase of grounded wizard kick, Everything you need to know about this move:

Areas Covered:

- Strengths and Weaknesses
- Ledge Cancel on each stage
- Combos from wizard kick ledge cancels
- Combos from anti air wizard kick ledge cancels
- Things wizard kick goes over
- Things wizard kick goes through
- Combos and Mix Ups from throws

If you have any questions, let me know.

PRGN

Smash Cadet
NNID
パラゴン
3DS FC
1891-1272-1580
Nice vid MGK!
Im still trying to figure out how to get into that reduced endlag wizkick animation on stage.
I did it a few times on smashville but it happened randomly

Edit: figured it out how to trigger it but its situational and pretty useless unfortunately

Last edited:

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
I was labbing the edge cancel to dair. It does not seem to work except for the exact beginning top hitbox you use in the video. I wish it worked more consistently, but the rest of the move sends every character too far. not gonna stop me from spamming it on FG till I get it tho. also, how does wizkick interact with aerial gyro?

Last edited:

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
I'm glad to see this video. I have been lab bing this subject for the last few days.

I prefer to start with a down throw, myself. I'm mostly working on working on the spacing and percentages that make Dair and Garudo follow ups either true or mostly consistent.

For y'all who think this tech is useless or want to learn to make it work for easy victories, I suggest going to Battlefield in practice. There you can tinker with percentages and adjust spacing. The reason I like starting with down throw is the ease of switching the dummy from stop to attack to ensure lvl 9 air dodging comes as quick as possible. I know it's a weak substitute for human reaction with a lacking of smash DI, but it has helped me to realize a few properties of the ledge cancel. Namely the death combo aspect.

If you position them just under the inner edge of the platforms on Battlefield down throw>Wizard kick will ledge cancel. Start with the heavies. Bowser is easiest to connect on. DK is easier to land Garudo on from 0 %. At 8 % Dair starts to connect. Even into the 20s and 30s Garudo can land.

Down throw>Wiz will miss Jiggly. However at 8 % a normal ledge canceled Wizard foot can lead into a Garudo kill.

If you center Charizard under the lower platforms of Battlefield and stand just before the edge of the platform a wiz kick can lead to Garudo even at 42%. I'm willing to bet Bowser goes past 50 % with the proper positioning.

Another cool mix up is using Garudo to punish a shield. When they shield the wiz kick Garudo back to them for a free hit. It's not 100% reliable but it will catch some people off guard.

I also think this is a good tool to use against crap recovery people such as Cloud and Mac. D throw>Wizard>Up B. Remember their instinct is going to be getting back to the stage ASAP. That's where the read is really going to bite them in the bum.

Rosalina does well against ledge canceled wizard because of Luma sapping the knockback. No Luma makes Ganon happy.

I'm going to be labbing this a lot for the next few weeks. Between lab and FG I plan on recording my findings in real time matches so we can push the Dorf into superior territory.

Good work MGK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom