• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grievance against Pkmn Trainer

mewtwo_to_you_too

Smash Cadet
Charizard became one of my mains in SSB4 and now he has to go back to being part of a changeup team? Why don't Zelda and Sheik get the same treatment? I would've much preferred Squirtle and Ivysaur getting their own slots as I liked the idea of their potential as separate characters. This may have been hammered out already but I just can't get over the fact that one of my best is relegated to team up once more.

Lyserdon

Smash Cadet
NNID
420BlitzIt
I don't like it either. Never player PT in Brawl and Charizard is by far my favorite character in 4. You can still solo him, we just lose Rock Smash. I'm still hoping against hope that there's like a secret way to pick individual Pokemon with their own down b. Or that solo Zard will be like a free DLC.

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
It's not that much of a big deal, just Down+B two times and you get the same character, but without Rock Smash. While I don't main Zard in any way, I don't see how him losing a single move is so bad.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I agree. I main Charizard in Smash 4, Project M, and Pokkén Tournament and love his moveset in all three games. The Pokémon Trainer coming back in Ultimate put a damper on me because I never liked playing as Squirtle or Ivysaur. I played as Charizard in Ultimate at E3, and while he got some buffs, I noticed you are forced to switch into the next Pokémon in line every time you get KO'd. Plus, with everyone suddenly latching onto the Trainer and saying they want to play as all three Pokémon, it really kills my desire to keep maining Charizard since I only wanted to play as him. With that said, my most wanted character by far, King K. Rool, is now playable. As such, I want to shift focus and make the Kremling King my dedicated main. I may keep the Trainer as a secondary, but time will tell what happens.

It's not that much of a big deal, just Down+B two times and you get the same character, but without Rock Smash. While I don't main Zard in any way, I don't see how him losing a single move is so bad.
Losing a single move in exchange for being forced to switch through characters every time you lose a stock can get irritating. Rock Smash was a decent punish option, and I rather have that instead of forced switching into two characters I'll never use.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Since switching is instant, Pokemon Trainer will probably be balanced around using all 3 characters, meaning that each individual character will be weaker (and maybe not even solo viable).

1FC0

Smash Lord
I have the opposite opinion. I like Pokémon Trainer with his unique dynamic playstyle a lot while I do not particularly like Charizard who is just a generic heavy in a game that is already well-filled with a diverse set of heavyweights. Charizard is still pretty unique, but not nearly as unique as Pokémon Trainer is.

The closest replacement for Pokemon Trainer IMO is Shulk who also plays a dynamic playstyle but Shulk does it in a very different way because he only changes stats, changes temporarily, and gets more extreme properties out of it. I like the way Shulk does it a lot but I would prefer having Pokemon Trainer and Shulk for some variety in the dynamic archetype.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think Pokemon Trainer is Onjectivly Better after all Pokemon Games were always About the Trainers so it seems weird that People complain about the only Trainer in smash!

Top Bottom