• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grev Monthly XII - TBA

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I think I've played soul calibur 2 before

it was pretty **** good, although I never did actually really learn how to play it and so spammed attacks with raphael like a ******.

my only problem is when I see the letters S and C together I think of starcraft, even when it doesn't make sense like SC4.

pool party in july is going to be ****ing legit, you just better hope the venue doesn't overflow with people for the july tournament lol

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
I still have no idea why you hate SCIV, LittleEngland. "terrible because it is" ... circular reasoning. I thought I had you figured out when you said you would play SCII but not SCIV.
Why do you care so much? If I didn't enjoy the game then that should be enough for you, especially because it's not like I'm your friend or someone whom you are trying to get into this game. LOL At least I shouldn't be.

And you keep using that word hate for some reason. The only thing I hate is leaving home without chap stick.

edit: omg MvC3 confirmed! Graphics look like TvC just like I expected/hoped for! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-j7fh2CVQM&feature=player_embedded

Signia

Smash Lord
Whoa whoa whoa who said I cared (cuz caring is NOT cool)? I'm just interested because I've never heard so much negativity toward the game, despite it's relative unpopularity. Also, I'm still wondering why some local players quit SCIV and hopped on the Tekken 6 and SFIV bandwagon. It's especially frustrating because some of them say they don't even like the game and only play it when everyone does. Prisoner's Dilemma.

I assumed you hated it because of this:
what the.....thats a TERRIBLE game :( please don't waste a setup on THAT.
Very effective in expressing a strong opinion.

The video you linked was removed btw. I hope MvC3 isn't another dumbed down sequel.

Lovage

Smash Hero
ya i heard a lot of mvc2 and 3rd strike players (more so on ec) play sf4 just cuz thats where all the comps at

Signia

Smash Lord
like some did with brawl amirite

not that SFIV is as bad as brawl

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Many many SC4 players went to Tekken 6, so that SHOULD be enough evidence of "negativity toward the game".

This is what I don't like about SC4. The mixup game/spacing game is terrible, and on specific stages that can result in the loss of a round, whether you are back into the walls of the stage not controlling the center stage or simply get ringed out. Secondly, along with the game mechanics, aesthetically the game sucks. The stages aren't that detailed and the music isn't that great. In modern Tekken 6 metagame, the game has become much less about the 'big hits' and more about pokes/setups etc. I feel like the characters are also more original/vary more than SC4's.

The word hate implies passion, and I have no passion for SC4. Are we done now? ;)

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i like melty blood: actress again

i also have a copy of sc2 from that deal i recently got and one i previously owned

i liked it when i played it with friends in hs

i just spammed moves though

Signia

Smash Lord
Do we have to be done? I really like talking about FGs. Sorry for being a jerk about it.

I like your response, talking about aesthetics and mechanics. I disagree completely on everything but the stage aesthetics and music being bad. Spacing/mixup is solid, greater variation in attack ranges makes spacing interesting, and as well as having to earn your mixups by having good spacing is interesting. Small stages and ringouts make stage position matter. I liken it to controlling stage position in smash, where ringouts are gimps. The music was a huge disappointment.

Unique weapons make characters seem more varied than in Tekken. Are characters identified with martial arts styles like they are in Virtua Fighter? It'd be nice for people starting out to have idea of what a character can do. The 40 something characters with nothing to identify them with (weight apparently doesn't matter, seeing how fast Bob is) was daunting when I briefly tried to learn Tekken. They mostly felt pretty generic to me too (actually I think I'd kinda like that once learned how they play differently), and the most of the characters that stand out take it too far.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i think the competition is much better and the skillcap is much higher in melee especially since europe hit the scene so idk why anyone would ever play brawl (except for money cuz they still get lots of noobs who enter)

ComboFest

Smash Lord
I'll bring Soul Caliber 2 and a pack of other games to the next smashfest or to this tourney if they want.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
those are fighting words there...

I know i'm better at _______ than i am at melee

I'm sure there's something that could fit in that blank.

MacD

Banned via Administration
soul caliber 2 is allowed cause i say so and it's a grev so we'll have 5 tv's with no use in the kitchen

connor gonna get ***** by my talim

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
xianghua is cool

that's who is use lol

i dunno if your being sarcastic but she's top tier lol

festizzio

Smash Champion
Wait really? I was playing SCIV the other day and my friend told me to play a better character; when I asked what he meant he said she sucked in SCII, but I didn't actually know because most of the people I play with are noobs. Thanks for clearing that up

Kira-

Smash Champion
it's not fun playing macd in every fighting game cause his style is so consistently ridiculous

except puzzle fighter. that's the only game he plays legit

Signia

Smash Lord
Signia, I hope you're better at soul caliber than you are at melee
LOL uhh.. lets just say I'm willing to money match any of you for any amount of money, even if it's SCII on gamecube. I've been playing SCIV almost every day since its launch day 7.29.08 (mostly online).

why would you bring other games to a MELEE tournament?
Other games are fun too, and at a tourney, there's room: you aren't taking away from Melee playing unless it's packed.

Festizzio, Xianghua is top tier in SCII, god tier in SCIII, and high tier in SCIV. Also my secondary.

Kira-

Smash Champion
someone bring brawl

c'mon i know theres gotta be some takers

kirbyraeG?!?! i remember i played you once and you were good, ****** that str1ker dude for 2 hours got my ego up until i played you lol

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
someone bring brawl

c'mon i know theres gotta be some takers

kirbyraeG?!?! i remember i played you once and you were good, ****** that str1ker dude for 2 hours got my ego up until i played you lol
:( :( :( :( :embarrass :embarrass :embarrass :embarrass

MacD

Banned via Administration
it's not fun playing macd in every fighting game cause his style is so consistently ridiculous

except puzzle fighter. that's the only game he plays legit
you've played me in 2 fighting games, well 3 if you count brawl but i'm soooo bad at that it doesn't count

get at me in soul caliber 2

I refuse to allow Brawl to be played at my tournaments.
good stuff

Top Bottom