• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja vs. Fox Matchup

Endless_

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone. I just wanted to make a post to ask anyone for some tips for this matchup. Being a greninja main myself, when I encounter foxes I often have a hard time beating them. It’s that one character that I’m not to good against and they love to spam aerials on me and I would like to learn how to punish and play better against it. If anyone has some tips it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Mack36

Smash Rookie
This matchup in my opinion is awful. To beat fox in general you have to punish him out of shield and be able to anti air his approaches. Greninja is arguably the worst character in the game out of shield and overall bad at anti airing. The combo game on Fox also seems to be a bit unreliable mainly because downthrow dash attack doesn't work and dash attack up smash seems to rarely work. Unfortunately though the way to play this matchup seems to be just camping in shield and rolling or jumping away when an out of shield punish is impossible. If the fox is playing mostly on the ground going for grabs, dash attacks, and down tilts can initiate your combos and down tilts can confirm into up smash killing at 80-100%. If the fox is jumping all over the place you have to shield and deal with the tomahawk grabs because fox has no grab confirms. It is better than getter nair up smashed or raw up smashed. In addition to shielding, offensive anti airing should only be used when you know fox is gonna jump. Rar bairs in neutral are really good at stuffing out his Nair and other options but that's about it. Spaced fair is also pretty good but should be mixed in along your bairs. Other risky anti air options include raw up smash, up tilt (pivot cancel as well), uair (falling drag down as well), and nair. Maybe upwards forward tilt. Pivot grabs are good in this matchup and your bread and butter is down throw attack cancel bair. Up throw uair is only good at early early percents. Hope this helped, comment if you have questions.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
This matchup in my opinion is awful. To beat fox in general you have to punish him out of shield and be able to anti air his approaches. Greninja is arguably the worst character in the game out of shield and overall bad at anti airing. The combo game on Fox also seems to be a bit unreliable mainly because downthrow dash attack doesn't work and dash attack up smash seems to rarely work. Unfortunately though the way to play this matchup seems to be just camping in shield and rolling or jumping away when an out of shield punish is impossible. If the fox is playing mostly on the ground going for grabs, dash attacks, and down tilts can initiate your combos and down tilts can confirm into up smash killing at 80-100%. If the fox is jumping all over the place you have to shield and deal with the tomahawk grabs because fox has no grab confirms. It is better than getter nair up smashed or raw up smashed. In addition to shielding, offensive anti airing should only be used when you know fox is gonna jump. Rar bairs in neutral are really good at stuffing out his Nair and other options but that's about it. Spaced fair is also pretty good but should be mixed in along your bairs. Other risky anti air options include raw up smash, up tilt (pivot cancel as well), uair (falling drag down as well), and nair. Maybe upwards forward tilt. Pivot grabs are good in this matchup and your bread and butter is down throw attack cancel bair. Up throw uair is only good at early early percents. Hope this helped, comment if you have questions.
Greninja does not need so shield to win this matchup. Fox's recovery is extremely vulnerable to Greninja's edgeguarding tools, Up Smash DESTROYS any aerial approach that Fox might try, and being THE fast faller character, Fox is free food for Greninja's Dash Attack/Dtilt combos, falling Uair-Utilt loops, and general juggling.

D

Deleted member

Good tops to hear Fox is a tricky character so ideas on how to beat him are welcome.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Good tops to hear Fox is a tricky character so ideas on how to beat him are welcome.
Keep him in the air if possible, use Shadow Sneak to punish his lasers by surprise once you get him at around 100%, don't be afraid to Up Smash his ass every time he tries to come in with a landing aerial, and make him drown in his own salty tryhardy scrub tears with Hydro Pump every time he tries to use his Up-B offstage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom