• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja Pre-Release Video Thread

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Compiling all of the valuable videos of Greninja leading up to the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate:

will be updated till 12/7/18 !

:150:

Last edited:

ReVerbIsSuperb

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this is the correct place or if y'all have seen this yet, but if you haven't, here is the OTHER footage we have of Ultimate Greninja:

Last edited:

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman
Here's a new video with Greninja gameplay focused more on Shadow Sneak and Substitute. At the 2:10 mark you can see FTilt killing Young Link at around 150% from center stage. In Smash 4 FTilit would not have killed from that point even at 200% so it looks to be a relatively safe kill move at high percents now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndZISXy9_4I

The frame data on Shadow Sneak seems to be unchanged and Substitute still doesn't look very good unfortunately.

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman
Here is a video showing Greninja's Final Smash finally connecting. Ash Greninja is just a cosmetic change.
At 0:20 you can see Greninja going for UThrow > UAir but misses. I can't really tell if it is still a true combo from the video since the player jumped too high and started UAir too late, so he'd miss anyway. It would be a pretty strong nerf if Greninja lost this combo, but it has always been pretty strict in timing, so hopefully it still works at least in early to mid percents like in Smash 4.

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman
Here's some nice 1 vs 1 footage of Greninja from a Japanese tournament for children:

At 1:05 it looks like Dtilt -> Fsmash might be a true combo at low percents. In Smash 4 it was also very hard to avoid but it wasn't completely true.

At 3:14 you can see Usmash still trading hits with moves it should easily beat. Hopefully it is fixed to make it at least as disjointed as Sheik's Usmash. I still do not understand how two long water swords can be so much easier to beat out than Sheik's bare hands.
Same thing happens at 3:37.

Edit:
And here's another quick match vs Kirby:

Last edited:

Gekkouga

Smash Cadet

I knew Japan wouldn't let us down! Great footage of our frog!!

On another note I'm in love with that victory animation

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman

I knew Japan wouldn't let us down! Great footage of our frog!!

On another note I'm in love with that victory animation
Nice!

At 0:25 I see the pummel has been sped up a lot at the cost of dealing 1 damage instead of 2. This is overall a positive change since you can now sneak in a pummel at lower percents without the opponent breaking free and even on higher percents it is better to pummel twice at double speed instead of once at double damage because more hits help refresh your staled moves.

At 0:30 we can see again the attempt for a Hydro Pump gimp. But again it does not seem to change the trajectory of Marth's recovery. It just makes him go over the ledge which still leads to a punish. But in Smash 4 the opponents would get pushed up and away in a diagonal angle. It remains to be seen if this change to the Hydro Pump windbox will be better or worse for edgeguarding.

Also in general Dair seems to be a bit slower. I wonder if it still comboes into itself at mid-high percents or if we can combo into Fair and Bair from it like in Smash 4.

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman
Nice video. A few new things here:
- At 0:25 Dtilt -> Jab seems to still be a true combo
- At 0:40 you can see how well Nair comboes into almost anything. In this case Nair -> Fsmash was chosen.
- At 0:50 you can see Dair -> Fair. It really seems like the knockback or speed was changed because it definitely does not seem to true combo anymore in this case. Maybe it requires higher percents or better DI from Greninja. I'll need to test this combo next week.
But a very nice change for Dair is that now you do not lose your double jump after bouncing off an opponent using it. This is what allowed Greninja to recover after edgeguarding Marth with Dair -> Fair. In Smash 4 Greninja would have died there.
- Nevermind, at 2:26 it actually does seem like Dair -> Fair is still a true combo. It just required higher percents as expected.
- Oh nice, at 2:36 it seems like the end lag of Nair was reduced in the air. Greninja uses it off stage almost halfway down to the blast zone but still manages to recover. The end lag is still really long for such a move, especially after its damage was reduced, but every bit helps for avoiding SDs.
- At 3:00 the end lag of Dair also seems to have been slightly reduced. In Smash 4 you had to use it from full jump height off stage to have enough time to double jump and recover. Here it is used from short hop height, but Greninja still survives. It might actually have some edgeguarding use also for people who aren't totally crazy now. The airdodge nerfs also help boost its viability off stage.

Or maybe just the bottom blast zones are lower in Ultimate, which made it possible for Greninja to survive using Nair and Dair off stage. Either way, definitely a good change for Greninja.

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman

Here is a new Greninja video. Not much we haven't seen so far except:
- at 1:29 you can see Usmash malfunctioning. Usmash landed with the first sweetspot hit but then it lead to the second sourspot hit with sideways knockback instead of upwards. This looks like a bug and it almost never happened in Smash 4. The first sweetspot hit should always lead to the strong sweetspot launching upwards. Hopefully this is fixed eventually, since that can cost you games. Even in this video Incineroar would have lost its stock if Usmash worked properly.

- at 2:03 not only can you see dragdown Uair still working as confirmed by other players before, but it seems that Uthrow -> Uair might be a frame trap now. You can see Incineroar airdodging the first Uair, but Greninja could follow up with an unavoidable dragdown Uair before Incineroar could act out of the airdodge. And dragdown Uair still comboes into Utilt, which then comboes into Uair.

There might be a lot more frame traps now with the airdodge nerfs, so it will be interesting to test out the different options out of Greninja's other throws and combo tilts like Dtilt and Utilt.

Gekkouga

Smash Cadet
Thanks Elu! Come back to the boards

Love what you did with the nairs

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Good Work Everyone!

If a moderator would like to lock this thread now that the game has released, please do so!

:150:

Top Bottom