• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja Malfunctioning Moves To Fix

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman
As with every game, there are going to be situations when your moves do not work how they were intended to. This is especially likely in a game with so many characters like Smash Ultimate. I made this thread in order to collect all the different cases when you experience a move not working as it should, ideally with video examples.

We know patches are coming in the future. So to maximize the chances of the patches fixing what is broken, I think it is important to gather all malfunctions in one place and present them in the clearest way possible. There is no guarantee that anyone from the development team will read this thread though. But even in that case I still believe this thread will be useful at least for us, the players who can use this knowledge to better understand when their moves might behave differently than expected and actively avoid such situations or maybe even find new intentional uses for the malfunctions.

I will be progressively updating this post as new glitches and malfunctions are discovered. These are the examples I am aware of as of now:

Usmash sweetspot leading into sourspot
Example
: At 1:29
Details: Normally, when the first sweetspot hit connects with an opponent, it should always lead directly into the second sweetspot hit which launches straight upwards. However in this case the first sweetspot hit lead to the sourspot hit that launches sideways.
Proposed solution: It worked well in Smash 4, so if there were any changes made, I'd revert them back to how it was there. Or separate the sweetspot and sourspot hitboxes more to avoid the risk of mixing them up when hitting a large opponent like Incineroar.

Usmash not sweetspotting properly through platforms
Example 1:
At 8:18
Example 2: At 2:26
Details: When an opponent is on a platform in range of sweetspot Usmash, only the weak 5% sweetspot hit lands but the follow-up 14% sweetspot hit does not connect. This was a common issue on Smash 4 Battlefield platforms. It was fixed well on Battlefield platforms but still happens consistently on Kalos Pokemon League platforms.
Proposed solution: Make the two sweetspot hitboxes overlap completely, so if one hits, the second is guaranteed to hit as well.

Usmash trading hits too easily
Example
: At 3:13 and 3:37
Details: Usmash is still trading hits with moves it should easily beat. Compare it with Sheik's Usmash which is visually shorter and uses bare hands instead of water swords but is harder to beat out thanks to the intangibility Sheik gets.
Proposed solution: Make Greninja's upper body intangible at least during the initial weak sweetspot hit. This will make it harder to get interrupted by shorter moves as it should logically work. And in case there is a trade, at least Greninja will land the full 20 damage Usmash instead of just the 5 damage initial hit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom