• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grenade Canceling

B1ackBearD

Smash Rookie
How do you cancel his grenades in the air to where it just drops? I click Z in the Air and nothing happens.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
In Brawl, bringing up your shield was meant to make you drop a grenade you were holding, but a coding goof caused raising the shield to make grenades drop straight to the ground even after being thrown. I'm not sure whether or not this still happens in Ultimate.

B1ackBearD

Smash Rookie
In Brawl, bringing up your shield was meant to make you drop a grenade you were holding, but a coding goof caused raising the shield to make grenades drop straight to the ground even after being thrown. I'm not sure whether or not this still happens in Ultimate.
On the ground if you click shield/grab you will drop it but ive seen people z drop it from the air and I cant figure that part out

Shinjin

Smash Cadet
On the ground if you click shield/grab you will drop it but ive seen people z drop it from the air and I cant figure that part out
They might already be holding the grenade. Not by virtue of having pressed B, but by having pressed B + shield dropping the grenade + picking it up again, such that the item's now in their hand the same way a regular item would be. You can z-drop it at that point, I'm pretty sure.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
You can't pull out the grenade and Z drop it. You can only Z-drop it if you pick it up again, at that point it behaves like any other item.

It's the same with Diddy Kongs banana. First he has to take it out, to z drop it he needs to pick it up first.

Last edited:

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
So it works by
1. pulling your grenade out
2. tapping shield (to drop the grenade asap)
3. pick it up by either jabbing or air dodging near the ground (don't recommend)
From here you can either z drop it because it has normal item properties now (if you tap your c stick fast your item will be thrown farther, slower for a lighter toss) or you can run up to your opponent and shield. Be careful with this as a skilled opponent will just grab and throw you and won't take damage due to i-frames from the throw. You can also air dodge past your opponent because in Ultimate you don't drop your grenades when you air dodge, and you get that i-frame period during your air dodge, which can lead to a fair if properly spaced.
Most important though GRENADES EXPLODE AFTER 2.5 SECONDS. Abuse this knowledge.

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
Personally, as much as I enjoy Grenade dropping, I only really see it as a ledge guarding tool or a trap while shielded.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
I typically agree with you there, but if you're on battlefield (or a similar 3 platform stage) you can drop a grenade on the side platform and have it still reach below. it's nice if you know the opponent likes to jump a lot, or roll from edge.
Other use for Z-drop I find useful is putting it somewhere you think an opponent is gonna roll, doing an aerial (most likely on their shield) then following it with a grab. Most the time people will roll behind and then get caught on the grenade, or if the enemy tries to jump over you and land a b-air, then it will catch them as well. There's also the mind game of just doing an empty hop (Short hop then do a Fast fall, or more known as shff, but not doing any attack) and grabbing/throwing them into the grenade, or even just dash dancing after you place the grenade into doing an aerial. The mix up game is intense with grenades if they are placed well.
There's also a nice trick I've been toying with where you shield your grenade (to drop it) then if you immediately do an aerial you can pick it up, this way you are throwing out an active hit box while stalling for the grenade to explode. I haven't been able to consistently do it, but I've had luck with D-air --> grenade explode --> C4 stick which got me the stock while the enemy was recovering, but the potential is endless and will always make the enemy second guess if you have a grenade in your hand or not.
Think of the purpose of grenades more like Snake's claymore he had in Brawl, except you can lob them, and have 2 out at a time. I used to just think of them like Pit's arrow or Samus' side B where you just lob it and hope you get chip damage, but the more I think of it like a zone control, the more creative I tend to get with it allowing for setups or good shield pressure. That being said, I miss his claymore......

Top Bottom