• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
I didn't like it.

Chris, where did you get that clip of me?

I'll post why I didn't like it later. Posting from iPod atm.

edit:

This post has been deleted about 3 times by browser failure. I'm also fully aware that you're just going to "lol I was lazy" john out of it, but I think 3/5 is actually generous for this vid. I don't know how Reggie came up with 3.5/5, I think that's insanely kind.

There are three things that leap at me immediately from watching it. Maybe we live in an age of spoiled trailers, but I think that from how the trailer looks, epic blunders in combo videos like the Mario segment from SSB:Metagame are shaping up to look better than this.

I would not make such a cruel statement without an opinion, so here's why.

The first flaw that leaps at me is the entire introduction itself and how it was done. I understand the merit of the first one because we had a lot of people and therefore a generic introduction is nice. Moreover, we all were very unknown. Who the hell is Desh? However, recycling it, after Kage placed 3rd, after we beat some notables, and at a time when Bernard and Ryan get at least 8 emails a week between the two of them of adolescent boys requesting a lick of a stick or a pogo ride makes the "we're never seen before" not only cliche but also a load of crap. It also diminishes the effect of the trailer. To anyone who's watched the first one, it really leaps out as "If they're just recycling crap, why watch?" It doesn't look like any effort has been put in, too, which you actually confirm.

Why would anyone want to watch a combo video starring Bernard when they can just flick to any of the ten combo videos he's in already? Ones that look like time was put into them?

Second is the personalized introductions. While not a bad idea in theory, in practice they are very distracting from the actual combo video. It's cool you want to introduce everyone, but having such flashy introductions that have nothing to do with smash is overbearing. Not to mention they're not even all that personalized when you really think about it; what the hell is going on in Ryan's introduction? It feels like a lot of them made no sense for the player at all, and while the ones that did were somewhat effective, the lack of unity gives the impression of jumping around everywhere. This is supposed to be a crew combo video - a "We're in this together", kind of deal. Instead, we have a magic ring, the most elaborate font ever with a bunch of letters next to it, a blue glow thing, and the horror-movie TV static-picture screen.

You could have easily had everyone introduced with black background and white lettering and been just as effective. You could have just had a list in the description of who's playing at what time, or even just who's playing in order.

Third would be the positioning of the clips. Kyle's clip isn't bad for a clip, I suppose, but it's positioned really awkwardly. I understand this was put in alphabetical order, but I really don't think, in hindsight, that it was a good idea to do it that way. At the points where there's the most going on in the music, you have... Jigglypuff. Or Kage. And in the absence of music and noise, when everything's slowing down, you have the Fox. Clips that match the tone of the music is combo video 101. You can't have a Fox combo video to Swan Lake, it just doesn't work. Similarly, a fast song with lots of impact is hard for Puff to pull off. Maybe if he does a **** combo into Rest sure, but half the clip was movement-based spacing.

I don't know about you guys, but I was more impressed by the Galaxy Blast trailers.
alright well sry for the bad trailer, from now on ima just work on the full combo vids
for starters can u each pm the songs you guys are going to use for ur combo vids so i can edit the vid while syncing it to your songs. also ima get rid of alot of old clips unless their really really really good

the combo vid is, david, bernard , ryan. me kyle, josh, imadh, and kage

also sry again for the crappy job, it will not happen again

idea

Smash Master
aw afro >_< it wasn't that bad...although i mostly agree with david =P the other trailer will suffice, and if there's going to be a 2nd one it might as well be different.

hmm...i think the problem is that it makes it look like the viewer should be expecting something amazing, when really you just wanted to get it out and weren't going for a blockbuster sort of thing. like, it tells you to expect big things, then says "i'm the same as the last trailer lol."

if you're still set on the whole trailer thing, maybe it'd be better if you just threw together some of the better combos for a minute and left it at that.

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
i just wanted to post a trailer wit a release date cuz kept getting youtube msgs wit when is the full vids coming out, but w.e ima just work on the combo vids its easier and i'll put more effort into it

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Yo you get my PM josh? yes or no? Im thinking about making a lost and found thread because Ayaz has a TV at his house that came from no where, and I remember keunzel or someone accidentally took the wrong tv from a tourny and apparently no one claimed it.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
thatguy got me into hosting a melee/brawl+ event in february. stay in touch.

is there an active b+ community in t.o.? if so I might practice before the tournament. try to be available for feb, all of you.

also melee

edit: if we do make something, i will push for an SFIV side tournament at netchamp.

idea

Smash Master
eh, sort of (for brawl). but i don't know how good they are about making it to things/traveling at all. i wonder if they have their own social thread...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Joe, my urban planning course is called "City Lives and City Forms" and it focuses up the experience of living or existing in a city (fall term) and the methods used to construct and plan cities (winter term). I hate it. However, I am required to take a Social Science, and this course counts, and it was available, and one of the few available because I put off registering for my last few courses for a day or two.

edit:

Christmas Story Time, and a lot of stuff on Turkey Tech Skill:

Alright so, I have now successfully made a whole Christmas dinner for my mom, grandmas, dad, brothers, sister, uncle, Ryan, and little cousin. Turkey was awesome. Brining is amazing. Brined turkey (don't use butterball) is incredible. So moist and tender. I had to brine it in my sink again, though. Apparently 7-9 kg turkeys are a rare commodity. Given the choice between a 3-5 kg turkey (not enough), a 5-7 turkey (still not enough), and a 11+ turkey (kind of too much), we went with "too much" and my large pot shared the sentiment when the turkey wouldn't fit in it.

It barely fit in the sink, actually. I couldn't fully submerge it. Or use the recommended amount of brine; I had to stop at 13 litres when 15 was recommended for the 20 lbs.

Surprisingly, though, the turkey was the easiest part. I've realized something. Turkey is actually really easy to make if you do the prep properly. Cleaning it, brining it... all you really have to do then is just stuff it and baste it and stick it in the oven and you can ignore it for 59 minutes. At which point you baste it. And then you ignore it again for almost an hour and baste it again. And keep doing it until it finishes.

The hardest part was the sweet potatoes. Partly because I greatly underestimated how easy it is to transport several gallons of water and sweet potatoes from the stove to the sink, while the water is still boiling. My oven mit got wet, too, so my hand got a splash of scalding hot water. Fun.

More later.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
Joe, my urban planning course is called "City Lives and City Forms" and it focuses up the experience of living or existing in a city (fall term) and the methods used to construct and plan cities (winter term). I hate it. However, I am required to take a Social Science, and this course counts, and it was available, and one of the few available because I put off registering for my last few courses for a day or two.
**** lmao, ok thanks man =]

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
i'm older than raynex too...and i can probably still get away with student bus tickets.
speaking of student bus tickets imadh and i got booked by this ****ing bus driver it was the gayest **** ever, apparently university students arnt really students....and he made us pay an extra buck, honestly thats never happened to me before it was really really really stupid

also david u should have comboed the turky, thats wat i would have done

idea

Smash Master
speaking of student bus tickets imadh and i got booked by this ****ing bus driver it was the gayest **** ever, apparently university students arnt really students....and he made us pay an extra buck, honestly thats never happened to me before it was really really really stupid
lol yeah...adult = 18 and over. "student" means "high school student or younger".

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Smashfest on 28th starts at 1:00.

Nate, nobody's dropped :(

If someone does drop, please tell me BEFORE the fest so I can involve other people, please.

It's gay when other hosts have a cap at like 6 and they say so and then 3 people sign up and they wind up flopping but not telling anyone they're going to flop.

Top Bottom