• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

idea

Smash Master
lol, i got sick AGAIN. was sick for the few weeks leading up to apex too. every time i get sick it's immediately after hanging around smashers :/

if i'm still sick by saturday i don't think i'll enter, i'll probably still go to hang out though. (i might still enter teams, austin :p)

Coffeeblack

Smash Journeyman
lol, i got sick AGAIN. was sick for the few weeks leading up to apex too. every time i get sick it's immediately after hanging around smashers :/

if i'm still sick by saturday i don't think i'll enter, i'll probably still go to hang out though. (i might still enter teams, austin :p)
probably wont be there

demodemo

Smash Ace
@Jotora, Okay sounds good, i'm a little bit wary about driving too far because i'm usually pretty tight on time, and would still prefer somewhere regular to drop by but that sounds cool

@windrose, do you live in mississauga?

@riddlebox, malton is a tiny bit far for me too, whereabouts? are you more south?

basically the ideal situation for me is someone who lives in mississauga that I can drop by for smash whenever that person (and myself) are free.

edit: OH and add me to the facebook group!

Sanu

Smash Champion
I hope you guys are donating for Evo. I just dropped 100 for you but Skullgirls still has a $500 lead on you.
Put my hard earned money towards having Melee at some event I don't care about? Nah, I think my bills are more important.

:phone:

idea

Smash Master
i remember reading that the mlp game is actually just a beta still. also no way there would be many dedicated players for it yet, it would just be a joke side event for people who showed up for marvel or whatever

sauc3

Smash Lord
Dam nick, your German's going to be better than mine in no time. I'm leaving officially leaving in September but depending on how much money I make this summer I might leave earlier and come visit you in Germany before I start work, u better have done braised sausages ready

Windrose

Smash Lord
;-; ou est la smashers sauga
there's me, izek and reis. that's pretty much it. contact izek or reis, they play often.

=============================

edit: does anyone remember when sidefx said genesis 3 will be? was it the weekend before or after evo?

Europhoria

Smash Lord
I'd go, especially if Genesis was the weekend after/before lol

Edit: I don't know if I'd do both if they're spread out though. I'd probably pick 1

Windrose

Smash Lord
how did evo run melee in the past anyways? they like to keep things very consistent like setups right? how would they get a bunch of CRTs that are all the same?

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
could both be done (realistically) with a range of $1k-$2k? assuming i'd also want to enjoy a vaca outside of smash? i don't know enough about travelling longer than a week lol
Should be under 2k easily. I went to Evo last year and went for the entire week Tuesday-Monday, I even went all-out and got a really nice hotel room which I split with no one (Vegas after all) and the grand total of my trip was somewhere around $1100-1200 including tournaments, shopping, eating, and a tiny bit of gambling (I would have liked to gamble more but WSOP was going on so all the Poker rooms were packed). Make sure to book through expedia or something similar where you can combine the flight and hotel into one package (I saved like $300 doing this). Also for me Toronto and Detroit are equidistant and flights out of Detroit are way cheaper; I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile to look at flights out of Buffalo if you're in Toronto or not. One of the guys on Scar's stream the other day mentioned you can get a flight from Vegas to Cali for like $150 if you want to do Evo and Genesis.

Make sure you know where to get cheap food and always bring food with you to the venue because Vegas food prices aren't even funny (it was something like $8 for a simple pressure-cooked hotdog and $3 for a tiny half-can of pop at the venue). There's a McDonalds, a Chipotle, and a Subway that you can walk to on the strip with standard prices.

Basically the price breakdown is Hotel > Flight > Food > Shopping/Gambling > Tournaments, and Hotel can be cheaper if you don't stay as long or find housing.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
Should be under 2k easily. I went to Evo last year and went for the entire week Tuesday-Monday, I even went all-out and got a really nice hotel room which I split with no one (Vegas after all) and the grand total of my trip was somewhere around $1100-1200 including tournaments, shopping, eating, and a tiny bit of gambling (I would have liked to gamble more but WSOP was going on so all the Poker rooms were packed). Make sure to book through expedia or something similar where you can combine the flight and hotel into one package (I saved like $300 doing this). Also for me Toronto and Detroit are equidistant and flights out of Detroit are way cheaper; I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile to look at flights out of Buffalo if you're in Toronto or not. One of the guys on Scar's stream the other day mentioned you can get a flight from Vegas to Cali for like $150 if you want to do Evo and Genesis.

Make sure you know where to get cheap food and always bring food with you to the venue because Vegas food prices aren't even funny (it was something like $8 for a simple pressure-cooked hotdog and $3 for a tiny half-can of pop at the venue). There's a McDonalds, a Chipotle, and a Subway that you can walk to on the strip with standard prices.

Basically the price breakdown is Hotel > Flight > Food > Shopping/Gambling > Tournaments, and Hotel can be cheaper if you don't stay as long or find housing.
wow thanks for the super detailed answer i'mma look into it when i can

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Afaik Vegas flights have amazing deals if you look hard enough but they kill you on return flights with deals. (I remember a story about 12$ flights from Texas>Vegas but one way and huge mark up in return, they want you out there). Good thing is if you go to both you won't be flying back from Vegas and could probably bus from Evo to gen.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
I swear the trip could be done for much less then $1000 as long as you can get housing with some local players, even if you have to stay in a hotel for like a night cause of Evo.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I swear the trip could be done for much less then $1000 as long as you can get housing with some local players, even if you have to stay in a hotel for like a night cause of Evo.
Oh also the Evo hotel rooms are super-cheap this year if you book early:

http://evo.shoryuken.com/2012/12/11/evo-2013-hotel-information/

$99/night Sun-Thur, $149/night Fri-Sat. That's way cheaper than my room last year and I wasn't even at the venue hotel.

Of course local housing is cheaper but if you're not familiar with Evo then I gotta tell you it's not the same at all as what you're used to with Smash tourneys. Thousands of people go to Evo and the locals will run out of space fast.

Top Bottom