• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Great projectile counterpick?

Regime

Smash Rookie
I think the fact that he powers up from his counter puts him in a pretty strong situation against a lot of characters with projectiles, since they should be reluctant to use them against you. This is the first character with a counter that benefits from using it against ranged attacks.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I hope so. His subpar mobility would leave him at the mercy of projectile spammers, so giving him a tool to deal with it sounds great.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
From the looks of his trailer, it seems like Darkest Lariat nullifies projectiles as well. Granted, it was a Hadouken, which doesn't have a lot of priority in this game, but it's something to test out.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
From the looks of his trailer, it seems like Darkest Lariat nullifies projectiles as well. Granted, it was a Hadouken, which doesn't have a lot of priority in this game, but it's something to test out.
That's right! They said Darkest Lariat has crazy high priority. It should nullify most projectiles.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dang he looks better and better.

Great character indeed.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not so fast, folks. Incineroar may be able to get power-ups from stray projectiles but it still does nothing to help him get in, as his speed is cripplingly low and his burst movement options don't go far. He has tools to help compensate for this weakness but in no way does that make him good against zoners.

All the power he gets from Revenge means nothing if he can't get in to use it.

RandysRage

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere between the North and South Poles
Not so fast, folks. Incineroar may be able to get power-ups from stray projectiles but it still does nothing to help him get in, as his speed is cripplingly low and his burst movement options don't go far. He has tools to help compensate for this weakness but in no way does that make him good against zoners.

All the power he gets from Revenge means nothing if he can't get in to use it.
This x100.

If you want a character that functions well against projectile characters, use someone with a reflector or Rosalina. Incineroar does have some defense against them, but his poor speed means he can be walled out much better than other heavies.

Gotta stay realistic here, guys. I want the Heel to be as good as everyone else here, if not more. And he does have some fantastic qualities as a Smash fighter. But the fact of the matter is that Incineroar is a slow heavy with a poor recovery, which sadly means the cat's gonna have some tough matchups for sure.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This x100.

If you want a character that functions well against projectile characters, use someone with a reflector or Rosalina. Incineroar does have some defense against them, but his poor speed means he can be walled out much better than other heavies.

Gotta stay realistic here, guys. I want the Heel to be as good as everyone else here, if not more. And he does have some fantastic qualities as a Smash fighter. But the fact of the matter is that Incineroar is a slow heavy with a poor recovery, which sadly means the cat's gonna have some tough matchups for sure.
The story of a grappler's life.

At least those supposed anti-projectile tools look to effectively cover the other weakness they tend to have, which is being bullied in disadvantage. Lariat comes out fast and beats a lot of stuff, plus a counter is a counter, all things considered. I think his recovery doesn't look that bad as long as you're careful, since he does have a good number of options.

And of course, when he does get in, he gets in. Unless you're aiming for an off-the-top kill, I think ending juggles with Cross Chop should be a priority in order to keep the enemy close to Incineroar as long as possible, and his body splash nair looks insane for catching options in tech and ledge scenarios.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
It does! Most exciting thing about this.
Wait whut?? That is godly! Wasnt sure cuz some ppl say it doesnt and some said it does. Thx for letting me know.

Btw. The higher damage dealt to revenge the more powerful it becomes, rite?

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Wait whut?? That is godly! Wasnt sure cuz some ppl say it doesnt and some said it does. Thx for letting me know.

Btw. The higher damage dealt to revenge the more powerful it becomes, rite?
From what I've heard, yes, the damage boost from Revenge is proportional to the damage dealt by the attack it counters. But, on the other hand, unlike with most counterattacks, Incineroar still takes some of that damage (but he doesn't take any knockback).

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
I worry though that his poor mobility's going to be a major issue, didn't Ganon have some really good moves but his mobility killed him? I'm concerned such a thing could repeat itself with Incineroar which would be a grave issue indeed. Does he have anything in his kit that can help with this?

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I worry though that his poor mobility's going to be a major issue, didn't Ganon have some really good moves but his mobility killed him? I'm concerned such a thing could repeat itself with Incineroar which would be a grave issue indeed. Does he have anything in his kit that can help with this?
I'd say you're right about mobility killing Ganondorf for the most part. Ganondorf has great aerials for spacing and gimping recoveries, flame choke forces you into a tech chase situation, and his f-tilt and d-tilt are decently fast punishes with a lot of kill power and range. USmash is also pretty busted considering how strong it is and how it's virtually impossible to punish it sometimes. The combination of his high weight, no good combo breakers, bad mobility in general, and one of the worst recoveries in the series keeps him from being a viable character in all of his Smash appearances. It doesn't look like Incineroar has anything to assist his mobility, but he has things that Ganon doesn't that will probably keep him from being even nearly as bad as Ganondorf. Ganondorf doesn't even HAVE an answer to most projectiles except for the universal powershield and trying to jump over them.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'd say you're right about mobility killing Ganondorf for the most part. Ganondorf has great aerials for spacing and gimping recoveries, flame choke forces you into a tech chase situation, and his f-tilt and d-tilt are decently fast punishes with a lot of kill power and range. USmash is also pretty busted considering how strong it is and how it's virtually impossible to punish it sometimes. The combination of his high weight, no good combo breakers, bad mobility in general, and one of the worst recoveries in the series keeps him from being a viable character in all of his Smash appearances. It doesn't look like Incineroar has anything to assist his mobility, but he has things that Ganon doesn't that will probably keep him from being even nearly as bad as Ganondorf. Ganondorf doesn't even HAVE an answer to most projectiles except for the universal powershield and trying to jump over them.
Well, his Wizard's Foot is strong enough to plow through many weaker projectiles, and that's a lot faster than Incineroar's lariat.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Based on what I'm seeing on the image below, Darkest Lariat can clang with other hitboxes; it had to clang, or else Hadouken would've been able to make Incineroar flinch (unless armor is involved). But would Incineroar rebound if Darkest Lariat clangs with stronger hitboxes?

Anyway, using Revenge might seem like a way to counter projectile attacks, but it really isn't, since Incineroar would still take some damage, and the power boost that it briefly receives will pretty much mean nothing if it's unable to take advantage of it.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Based on what I'm seeing on the image below, Darkest Lariat can clang with other hitboxes; it had to clang, or else Hadouken would've been able to make Incineroar flinch (unless armor is involved). But would Incineroar rebound if Darkest Lariat clangs with stronger hitboxes?

Anyway, using Revenge might seem like a way to counter projectile attacks, but it really isn't, since Incineroar would still take some damage, and the power boost that it briefly receives will pretty much mean nothing if it's unable to take advantage of it.
Side B has armor on it too yeah? We don't know the extent of Lariat's nullification power so Side B might be a decent projectile answer worst case scenario. Both are still kinda laggy.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Incineroar has good frame data. Ganon doesn't.

That's gonna be the big difference.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Incineroar has good frame data. Ganon doesn't.

That's gonna be the big difference.
At least Ganondorf can continue using Dark Dive if he grabs anyone. Incineroar doesn't get that with Cross Chop, and since I'm hearing that its air speed is bad, Incineroar's recovery could also end up being bad, due to how Cross Chop operates.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
At least Ganondorf can continue using Dark Dive if he grabs anyone. Incineroar doesn't get that with Cross Chop, and since I'm hearing that its air speed is bad, Incineroar's recovery could also end up being bad, due to how Cross Chop operates.
Incineroar doesn't go into freefall from using side b.

Both of them have trash recovery either way.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Incineroar doesn't go into freefall from using side b.

Both of them have trash recovery either way.
It obviously doesn't help that custom specials are limited to Miis now. Incineroar could surely use a custom variant of Cross Chop that offers diagonal movement when ascending.

Top Bottom