• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Great collaborative idea for those who love skiing, snowboarding, sledding

Mooplet

Smash Journeyman
So I've been living in New York my whole life- the city, westchester, and long island. I came up with this idea over the past couple months as we've had a bunch of heavy snowstorms and multiple feet of our favorite cold frosty white stuff. Also, just as a side note, I've never been snowboarding but it looks fun and like I would break my neck.

(Not sure if we can implement this plan now because it's getting warm, but stash this idea away for 2019!)

What if we all worked together one winter (in any area where we're going to have several cold months and a decent amount of snow) to build a semi-permanent mountain of snow that would last throughout the spring and summer months- a community ski slope!

Every time we get the opportunity, we will fill our garbage cans with snow on garbage days. The garbage dudes will take it in their trucks to the dump, where it will be tossed into a big pile just like the rest of the trash. There will slowly be more and more snow piled up (and hopefully that will help maintain natural snowfall there as well) until we have a huge mountain of snow that will survive the summer temperatures without entirely melting away.

Possible reasons the plan wouldn't work:

1. Town garbage collection workers will think that a trash can (or five) full of snow was accidentally put out on the street, and won't collect it
2. Town garbage collection workers realize our scheme and decide that they won't pour snow into the back of a garbage truck, and don't
3. Global warming
4. You guys aren't throwing away enough snow

I've thought of one other plan which could work in warmer areas (or if there just isn't enough snowfall one season) which is to just throw away tons of ice cubes every week

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Who’s to say all the collected snow would end up in the same pile? And more importantly, there wouldn’t be snow hills, there would be trash hills with snow mixed in. I appreciate your drive but question your method.

Mooplet

Smash Journeyman
You raise some good points Cyndane. Here are some of my ideas:

First, the entire plan assumes that we have a critical mass of lots (maybe even the majority) of a town or city throwing out snow. The concern about the trash being mixed in could be partially dealt with by throwing out less garbage, or much much more snow. Either way, I might be fine with just having very cold garbage be some sort of dump micro-climate and seeing how the local plants and wildlife react. That could be just as interesting as going sledding in July.

Second, I am willing to admit that there aren't going to be pristine slopes of powder suddenly dominating the otherwise stinky and messy landscape of the dump. I would guess that the snow would all wind up near the same place because the garbage trucks probably don't evenly distribute fresh garbage over the entire area, but have been putting new garbage near slightly older garbage from the days before in a methodical fashion.

Third, the plan might work purely by creating a permanent mountain of cold / frozen garbage for snow to fall on normally. For weeks there have been piles of snow slowly in my neighborhood and the surrounding areas, and it's been upwards of 50F some days. Imagine how long it would take a foot of snow to melt if the ground it was falling on was frozen!

There are a lot of things to work out in this plan before I would suggest playing in / on the pile of frozen garbage. Let's continue this thought experiment by trying to maximize the amount of snow showing up at the dump as well as sorting out a few questions about standard dump operating procedures. I'll try to learn more about how dumps operate, starting with my home state of NY and scaling out from there.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't blown up yet, but I guess the Pool Room isn't as busy as it used to be!

Edit: typo correction. ("or" changed to "of")

Last edited:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
You raise some good points Cyndane. Here are some of my ideas:

First, the entire plan assumes that we have a critical mass of lots (maybe even the majority) of a town or city throwing out snow. The concern about the trash being mixed in could be partially dealt with by throwing out less garbage, or much much more snow. Either way, I might be fine with just having very cold garbage be some sort of dump micro-climate and seeing how the local plants and wildlife react. That could be just as interesting as going sledding in July.

Second, I am willing to admit that there aren't going to be pristine slopes of powder suddenly dominating the otherwise stinky and messy landscape of the dump. I would guess that the snow would all wind up near the same place because the garbage trucks probably don't evenly distribute fresh garbage over the entire area, but have been putting new garbage near slightly older garbage from the days before in a methodical fashion.

Third, the plan might work purely by creating a permanent mountain of cold / frozen garbage for snow to fall on normally. For weeks there have been piles of snow slowly in my neighborhood and the surrounding areas, and it's been upwards of 50F some days. Imagine how long it would take a foot of snow to melt if the ground it was falling on was frozen!

There are a lot of things to work out in this plan before I would suggest playing in / on the pile of frozen garbage. Let's continue this thought experiment by trying to maximize the amount of snow showing up at the dump as well as sorting out a few questions about standard dump operating procedures. I'll try to learn more about how dumps operate, starting with my home state of NY and scaling out from there.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't blown up yet, but I guess the Pool Room isn't as busy as it used to be!

Edit: typo correction. ("or" changed to "of")
Maybe there just aren’t that many Ski enthusiasts on Smashboards anymore.

Top Bottom