• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Grassroots PM side tournament. We can do it. It's just a matter of where and when.

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
If I were going to Apex, I would help out. But logistically, it seems nearly impossible. My advice would be to just save your money and time going to a different national that actually has PM as a main event. It does suck that PM isn't on the lineup, but at the end of the day its not our decision, and Apex isn't the only national in the world.
it's also about the statement, like the Melee community did when they got dropped from MLG after 06. I'm afraid that if we don't do something to stand up and out, this is gonna go on. No PM at Apex, priority to Sm4sh at VGBC's Xanadu and KTAR XI streams, what's next if we don't prove our community is strong even when things aren't just smooth sailing ?

Oracle

Smash Master
I'm not saying you shouldn't make a statement, i'm saying that something like this is probably not the best thing to do. Its going to be borderline impossible to avoid having your entrants miss their main matches, and I doubt many high profile players like M2K would choose to enter at the risk of getting DQed from the other events. If you want to make a statement, the first step is probably to stop supporting a TO like alex strife who has really done nothing good for PM ever. He's always had a bias towards it, not allowing it at 2013 and being extremely reluctant towards adding it last year (including not allowing teams). If you want PM to be featured more, supporting Apex is not the way to go.

Apex is a very large tournament, but not the only tournament. There are other nationals that do support PM, such as The Big House and Low Tier City, that would do much more for you as a PM player. There's no rule saying that you have to go to Apex, or that Apex is the only tournament that matters for Smash. If you want to keep our community going strong, go to those tournaments, or even host your own! There's plenty you can do to keep PM going without having to host an underground tournament at someone else's event.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
How would you schedule this so there aren't conflicts with other event times? What is the plan if apex staff says stop partway through?
I talk about this a tiny bit in my second post. Apex won't have it's full schedule out until maybe a few days before the event. So it's hard to give a 100% confident answer right now. I posted a link to last year's schedule but it got taken down (but luckily I saved it). Chances are 2015's schedule will be like 2014's, so we can use 2014's schedule just to get some rough ideas. Pools started at 10am friday, and it would make sense for pools to start early on Friday this year as well. So chances are people will be arriving on thursday, and we could run a good chunk (hopefully all but that would be tough) of the tournament on thursday night. Events on fri and sat were scheduled to end at 10pm, so we could aim to run stuff starting at 10:30pm or something (assuming events don't run late of course). For top 8s on sunday, smash started kinda lateish. Brawl was the first game and it started ~2pm.

If we do run matches from hotel rooms or a separate venue, apex staff can't actually stop us. My only concern with hotel rooms is noise (esp if we run a bracket thursday night). Possibly theft too.

If I were going to Apex, I would help out. But logistically, it seems nearly impossible. My advice would be to just save your money and time going to a different national that actually has PM as a main event. It does suck that PM isn't on the lineup, but at the end of the day its not our decision, and Apex isn't the only national in the world.
Logistically it could actually be pretty feasible, just depending on entrants. I have almost 20 potential set ups, which would be pretty good. The only reason why I would like to make something happen is because Apex does get the highest volume of entrants with a great variety and I think it'd be cool if the PM community could take advantage of that. But if someone did ask me if they should go to Apex for the PM side tourney or just save up for a different national, I would 100% tell them to save up for a different national. Now that registration deadlines are approaching, I'm stuck figuring out if I'd like to make the monetary commitment to Apex <_<

Last edited:

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
imo, this is really only worth doing if you can somehow find the space AT the venue with the rest of the games, and if you include a game rule where players of other games must defer to other games when there's schedule conflicts of any kind, and maybe even to make it so you have to go play the other game even if you're in the middle of a match :( Otherwise I imagine a large portion of the best PM players wouldn't enter this in fear of of being DQ'd from other smash games, and having an international side PM tourney without the best players sounds pretty lame tbh.
If you can make that work though, I'll be happy to support and enter!

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Making most/all of it happen on Thursday night is a neat way to try and get around the time dilemma, and I imagine most of the top players would get to enter that way too, what time of night were you thinking about trying to start this at Thursday night @Spralwers?

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I would rather just have a fully independent tournament instead of trying to piggyback off of one that doesn't want us. You could still hold it the day before or after for the people who are already in town that week for Apex, but I'd try and find a different (but still nearby) venue and bill it as it's own separate and independent event rather than just calling it the Apex side tourney.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm not saying you shouldn't make a statement, i'm saying that something like this is probably not the best thing to do. Its going to be borderline impossible to avoid having your entrants miss their main matches, and I doubt many high profile players like M2K would choose to enter at the risk of getting DQed from the other events. If you want to make a statement, the first step is probably to stop supporting a TO like alex strife who has really done nothing good for PM ever. He's always had a bias towards it, not allowing it at 2013 and being extremely reluctant towards adding it last year (including not allowing teams). If you want PM to be featured more, supporting Apex is not the way to go.

Apex is a very large tournament, but not the only tournament. There are other nationals that do support PM, such as The Big House and Low Tier City, that would do much more for you as a PM player. There's no rule saying that you have to go to Apex, or that Apex is the only tournament that matters for Smash. If you want to keep our community going strong, go to those tournaments, or even host your own! There's plenty you can do to keep PM going without having to host an underground tournament at someone else's event.
I agree with this completely; I feel like if you want to make a statement and show APEX that this was the wrong decision, then shelling out venue fee to support the event and trying to run a (potentially futile) spiderweb event isn't going to do the job. I'd definitely recommend instead focusing your efforts on bolstering your own local PM scene. Who knows, you may end up running a PM-centric major (such as GUTS or Low Tier City) as a result.

I am personally attending primarily to see a lot of good friends who I ONLY see once, maybe twice a year if I'm lucky, as APEX is one of the few major tournaments that still facilitates the proper mingling of all of the smash scenes (but is excluding PM from it this year). I'm definitely not taking any of the events I am entering seriously, and only entering as a casual tournament goer for the first time in my entire life.

Last edited:

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
hey friends,

sorry i can't come, i'm two months late in rent and facing removal from my dorm if i don't do something fast

sorry guys, good luck. see you next major !

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Unfortunately I'll have to skip out on Apex. Gotta move to VA this weekend for job training. I'll be there for 10 weeks and I won't be able to make the trip up. Sorry guys.

Making most/all of it happen on Thursday night is a neat way to try and get around the time dilemma, and I imagine most of the top players would get to enter that way too, what time of night were you thinking about trying to start this at Thursday night @Spralwers?
Hard to say. If I was attending, my target would've been 6pm. I'd have definitely polled around all over the place to see how early people are going and assess a start time based on that.

Last edited:

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Unfortunately I'll have to skip out on Apex. Gotta move to VA this weekend for job training. I'll be there for 10 weeks and I won't be able to make the trip up. Sorry guys.
So, is there anyone else you know that was interested in running this? @Umbreon comes to mind as an option, I'd also be happy to help run this on thursday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom